AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I'm a little worried about a possible overdependence on priests but anything that gets people painting terrain and brining it to the table is a good thing on the whole to me. I'm curious to see how judgements work out. I'm hoping they're a little more than endless prayers but I doubt it.

18 minutes ago, Kazimer said:

Why would it be anything more than an endless prayer? Its not like it needs any more complication. Pay for a prayer, summon it with a priest, done and done. Let the prayers themselves do the heavy lifting for rules.

I am loving the little snippet that we will have un-dispellable prayers on the board. I think it will go a long way to even the playing field with magic. These may prove to be the strongest buff that the whole release has to offer depending on what they do...

18 hours ago, Rumblefish said:

The Altar, assuming it's 'free' is a bit of a fix for priests, and suggests that Pilgrims is done, which is a good thing.

I wouldn’t say Gore Pilgrims is necessarily done.  True, other battalions/no battalions at all will now be explored more, since you can get the re-rolls from the altar, but don’t forget gore pilgrims also includes the Widening the Rift ability, increasing the bloodsecrator aura by 6” for each priest nearby. Now put those on top of an altar and you have your 2+ and 4+ save secrator and priests within a possibly anti magic overlapping aura(secrator anti magic and altar). Yes 1 of the re-rolls for the prayers might be useless now, but don’t underestimate +18” to the secrator aura. On top of that, Gore pilgrims still allows you to be anywhere on the board, opposed to just on the altar.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

I’ve just had a cold sweat come over me, what if they change the Wrathmongers Bloodfury ability. 

It is one of my favourite things about the army, but it is very powerful so could be due a nerf. . . 😱

I really love how Khorne is anti the meta, Magic heavy (well reroll that), monster mash (stop hitting yourself) 

If they lose their "stop hitting yourself" ability I will be sad indeed. I was planning on getting a 2nd unit so I could do the ignore rend -1 battalion (because it feels really thematic for my Chamon based army). But now I'll wait and see if it or they change. Also I will neeed to buy that altar and the battletome I suppose :D

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

I wouldn’t say Gore Pilgrims is necessarily done.  True, other battalions/no battalions at all will now be explored more, since you can get the re-rolls from the altar, but don’t forget gore pilgrims also includes the Widening the Rift ability, increasing the bloodsecrator aura by 6” for each priest nearby. Now put those on top of an altar and you have your 2+ and 4+ save secrator and priests within a possibly anti magic overlapping aura(secrator anti magic and altar). Yes 1 of the re-rolls for the prayers might be useless now, but don’t underestimate +18” to the secrator aura. On top of that, Gore pilgrims still allows you to be anywhere on the board, opposed to just on the altar.

Dont get me wrong, I think Gore Pilgrims will still exist in some capacity, it's just good to see they are addressing that it's too important right now.

• Like 1

I would hope the rules designers see that the general consensus for mortals is "Gore Pilgrims or bust" not because it is overpowered but because the rest of the synergy interactions and battalions didn't bring the faction on the same level as the newer books.  I took it to have a better chance at prayers (which most factions can) and to spread the +1 attack (which evens the playing field with regard to profiles in the newer books)  It was the only way to keep my pure mortals viable, but also forced me to plant the flag and stay stationary, which to me is completely counter to how I envision a khornate attack. (and something a large stationary terrain piece also doesn't help)  My hope is that they took a look at the rest of the faction's synergies, rules, and battalions and brought them to the level Gore Pilgrims was.  Looking on the bright side but remembering their last fix was to raise the price of GP in the recent GHB rather than examine the battalions at large. 

• Like 1

Just popped by my FLGS and he confirmed that March 23rd is the official release date for the book. Along with it will be the stuff that's been shown already, plus the "Judgements" which was interesting (perhaps the official name for the blood blessings?).

16 minutes ago, Gash Bauer said:

I would hope the rules designers see that the general consensus for mortals is "Gore Pilgrims or bust" not because it is overpowered but because the rest of the synergy interactions and battalions didn't bring the faction on the same level as the newer books.  I took it to have a better chance at prayers (which most factions can) and to spread the +1 attack (which evens the playing field with regard to profiles in the newer books)  It was the only way to keep my pure mortals viable, but also forced me to plant the flag and stay stationary, which to me is completely counter to how I envision a khornate attack. (and something a large stationary terrain piece also doesn't help)  My hope is that they took a look at the rest of the faction's synergies, rules, and battalions and brought them to the level Gore Pilgrims was.  Looking on the bright side but remembering their last fix was to raise the price of GP in the recent GHB rather than examine the battalions at large. 

To me the fix i think is removal of gore pilgrims, and make the secrator banner whole-ly  withing 18 but remove the need to stand still. The lore had this guy running up with the vanguard of Khul's forces (which is way more Khorne IMHO) That way you can have the re-roll for priests, hang by the alter, or try your luck and have better range up the field for prayers....or have re-rolls to get the Judgments rolling, then run up and smash

• Like 1

I was struck by the text for the Hexgorger Skulls, which read that they make wizards "forget" spells. I wonder how that will be reflected in the game: is it just like the Bloodsecrator's Loathsome Sorcery ability, is it an automatic unbind, or does it prevent some spells from even being selected to cast at all?

It's all conjecture, I was just curious what people thought that unique wording could mean.

*by text I mean the Coming Next Week article on Warhammer Community

Edited by Zamik
Defining "text"

2 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

The lore had this guy running up with the vanguard of Khul's forces

Not always, there were times where Khul directly ordered him to stay more or less back and summon daemons/pierce the veil to Khorne's realm (and the Bloodsecrator was moderately pissed).

Overall, there will be more than enough time for the typical 'new book evaluation with incomplete information hysteria', after the sneak peaks are done this week and there is still one until release... 

Personally, I'd like mortals not to suck for a change. (and maybe Tome fluff being a bit more like book/story fluff but I guess that is asking too much) 

3 hours ago, Charles said:

I’ve just had a cold sweat come over me, what if they change the Wrathmongers Bloodfury ability. 

It is one of my favourite things about the army, but it is very powerful so could be due a nerf. . .

I wouldn't be too scared. They are priced accordingly and on the competitive scene, about 20-30% of the lists include them. Yes their bloodfury ability is scary and their Crimson Haze is really good, but also a double edged blade. They require a lot of skill if you truely want them to make their points worth. The general consesus is, throw them against a combat monster, or elite unit and let them punch themselves, while this is effective... honestly you can use them so much better as a force multiplying unit and have a secondary role as a counter attack unit vs these above mentioned units. For this, you need knowledge of the game and be great with positioning. I respect anyone that plays wrathmongers and makes the most out of them, but them needing a nerf? I highly disagree.

I don’t think they need a nerf, they are the most fun part of the army. 

I had just been so excited about the new rules and fixing stuff that is a bit dull or non thematic in the current book, and didn’t stop to think they may tone down some elements.

Khorne army rocks up for a fight...

"My warriors are screaming for slaugher... shall we attack my lord and reap skulls for the brazen throne?"

"Wait until the brick layers have finished, patience my minion... I must have a set of stairs upon which to survey the field of battle."

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Khorne army rocks up for a fight...

"My warriors are screaming for slaugher... shall we attack my lord and reap skulls for the brazen throne?"

"Wait until the brick layers have finished, patience my minion... I must have a set of stairs upon which to survey the field of battle."

I’m so modelling mine with a...

shrubbery

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oreaper84 said:

To me the fix i think is removal of gore pilgrims, and make the secrator banner whole-ly  withing 18 but remove the need to stand still. The lore had this guy running up with the vanguard of Khul's forces (which is way more Khorne IMHO) That way you can have the re-roll for priests, hang by the alter, or try your luck and have better range up the field for prayers....or have re-rolls to get the Judgments rolling, then run up and smash

This is exactly the fix that I had theory-crafted on my own, and I think it would be the optimal solution.  Nothing is less "Khorne-y" than deliberately keeping a 140 point out of combat the entire match.  Allowing him to move, but adding the "wholly within" language and keeping its range at 18", would force players into making difficult (see interesting) risk-reward decisions re: whether to keep him back, whether to get him closer to the front lines / possibly into shooting range, or even whether to send him into direct combat.

Fingers crossed! 

11 hours ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Reroll ones is deceptively powerful honestly. Given blood letters are 3 up to wound that improves their wound rate to 78% from 67%. An 11% damage buff is nothing to sniff at.

Especially when you wound on 3+. 3+ reroll 1 mean pretty much everything will pass, and khorne was very short on bonus to wound.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:11 PM, Killax said:

Having said that, the grand battalion that is Bloodletter focused could do wonderful things for Bloodletters if those effects arn't tied to 3+ Battalions being required ;) 

Has there been a preview I missed where they showed some tokens and the new battalions? I'm excited to finally make my first Khorne army and don't want to miss stuff.

So from that pricing table and the description "Sorcery Miniatures", it appears the 3 endless praters are what is referred to as "Judgements of Khorne".

Question is will we pay points for them like endless spells or will they require blood tithe to summon?

Given they are prayed for by slaughterpriests I would guess we pay points for them but they still require a roll in order for the prayer to be heard in the same way endless spells are cast.

Summoning with blood tithe should mean they are not subject to a roll however that would make for a 3rd option to spend blood tithe on, assuming those rules dont change, which is probably a few too many options for a system capped at 8 points. 

Or perhaps we will have both ways available to bring Judgements onto the table ? 

News just in..

Forgeworld are releasing the khorne dragon character on foot.

Finally we get a Khorne character that is a wrecking machine in combat.

Oh wait... I've just woken up and it's morning.

Joking apart, I'd like to see the characters in the brass despoiler battalion be able to take gifts and artefacts in this book, and I'll be very intersted to see what else they have jiggered around in there to liven things up.

I was also thinking a khorgorath model might have been on the cards.

4 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I was also thinking a khorgorath model might have been on the cards.

Don’t we all since the beginning of Age of Sigmar? Khorgorath a Monster that is able to go in packs of 1-6 models being effectively 8 wounds each and pack quiete the punch(pun intended). Being forced to a single pose model that used to be only available in the starter of AoS and now only available in a start collect. It’s beyond me that there’s not even a seperate box available for this unit. By now you would expect them to release a multi pose kit of at least 2 in 1 box, but no. Very questionable choice by GW.

• Like 1