AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So, bloodletters aren't spamming mortal wounds any more.

What are people thinking on how the (internal) meta will shift?

We'll definitely see less letter bomb/pilgrim lists and maybe reduced gore pilgrims in general.

Flesh hounds got a minor buff with the roar attack but don't have the raw damage output the old letters had.

It will be interesting to see if they adjust the points for both units and karanak along with these scroll updates.

I play all mortals with all Blood Sacrifice for summoning, so these changes only help me. Unbuffed Bloodletters are technically buffed since their MW attack doesn't get dropped. Gore Pilgrims is still going to be a staple because it helps every unit in your army by buffing your Slaughterpriests. Buffing large units of Bloodreavers is still profitable, hell this just means shifting from spamming the +1 to hit to the +1 to save and making your Bloodletter bombs unkillable, lol.

The meta for Khorne hasn't even settled down from the 2.0 shakeup so who knows what insane lists people are going to try running from here on out.

I don't see anything changing for Khorne in a grand way, the army will still be rather bad against the meta-lists (big units of hard to kill or recurring models).

• Hybrid lists will suffer a lot from this
  • Murderhost got better
  • Gore Pilgrims aka "someone is still playing mortals" might revert to Skullreapers or switch over to the Blood Tithe prayer

I apologise if this has been already posted, but I have been out of the hobby a few months and although I am aware of some changes due to the 2nd Edition I was mortified to see that I cannot use my Bloodbound Warhorde Battalion Warscroll any more due to point increases in the warscrolls.

My army now has a points total of 2980 whereas before it was 2480. Does this mean that this warscroll is now no longer possible. It seems that due to the point increase on the warscrolls this is completely unusable.

33 minutes ago, BloodReign said:

I apologise if this has been already posted, but I have been out of the hobby a few months and although I am aware of some changes due to the 2nd Edition I was mortified to see that I cannot use my Bloodbound Warhorde Battalion Warscroll any more due to point increases in the warscrolls.

My army now has a points total of 2980 whereas before it was 2480. Does this mean that this warscroll is now no longer possible. It seems that due to the point increase on the warscrolls this is completely unusable.

I'm not sure what your confusion is. What point value do you play at? If you play at 2500 points and the new point values increase your previous army from 2480 to 2980, that means you have to change up your army. It may also mean the Battalion you used previously is no longer usable at that point value.

Now that he has the hero keyword and a decent attack profile I suspect Karanak will see more use. Blood Crushers with a 10 point reduction and mortal wounds caused on 2+ on the charge could also see play, especially in units of 6 for D6 mortal wounds on the charge. 

The nerf to bloodletters means the Bloodletter bomb is pretty much dead as its too huge a points investment for not enough guaranteed damage. One option is to apply all of the buffs onto Skullreapers however without the ability to run and charge they would need to be protected until they can get into combat which will require greater tactical play (and not a great list option against gunlines).

Gorepilgrims will always be viable because who doesnt like extra attacks and battleshock immunity? Not mention that Slaughter priests are now one of, if not the best sources of mortal wounds in the army and getting to reroll the failed prayers is huge.

If they fix the allegiance ability so we dont have to choose between summoning or abilities, unlike every other chaos god army or summoning army,  khorne will remain strong. Even if the only change was that unspent bloodtithe points are banked instead of wasted it would be so much better.  However without this change and having lost our only mass damage, first turn charge unit, things could get tough.

Maybe Brass Despoilers from Beasts of Chaos will be more attractive now? Bestigors are very quick (especially if you ally in a Shaman buffing their movement) and do good damage.

Also, Daemonettes really hurt the Bloodletters as well, since they force rerolls of 6 to hit. So looks like Slaanesh is definitely beating Khorne with the units in this box.

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

24 minutes ago, andysonic1 said:

I like Beasts of Chaos but I 'aint putting no wizards in my Khorne lists. I'll stick to my 40 man Bloodreaver blob with a Blood Stoker nearby. No need to fix what 'aint broke!

You can't put wizards in your list with Brass Despoilers, so that's not an issue...

image.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

You can't put wizards in your list with Brass Despoilers, so that's not an issue...

37 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Maybe Brass Despoilers from Beasts of Chaos will be more attractive now? Bestigors are very quick with a Shaman buffing their movement and do good damage.

You're still allying in a Shaman. Shaman's still a wizard. I don't fault anyone for doing whatever they have to do to win, but my Khorny bois stay magic free. Besides at that point why not just play Beasts of Chaos?

2 minutes ago, andysonic1 said:

You're still allying in a Shaman. Shaman's still a wizard. I don't fault anyone for doing whatever they have to do to win, but my Khorny bois stay magic free. Besides at that point why not just play Beasts of Chaos?

Shaman isn't necessary though. Bestigors are already fast thanks to run+1 and charge. And Bloodstoker can buff their charge as well.

1 minute ago, andysonic1 said:

What part of "none of these options use magic" you not seeing?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, andysonic1 said:

hell this just means shifting from spamming the +1 to hit to the +1 to save and making your Bloodletter bombs unkillable, lol.

Absolutely this. I see myself slingshotting 30 Bloodletters with a 2+ or 3+ save to take objectives or confront the enemy. Then maybe charging horses with Knights of Chaos command on them while other Mortals waddle up the field.

27 minutes ago, Kazimer said:

What part of "none of these options use magic" you not seeing?

The part where I said allying it in at the very start of the comment, under the quote from the other user where he mentioned the Shaman. Don't have a cow, man.

29 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Shaman isn't necessary though. Bestigors are already fast thanks to run+1 and charge. And Bloodstoker can buff their charge as well.

Bloodreavers also get the +1 to run and charge from their Hornblower, but yes run+charge is always great.  I don't see it being absolutely necessary, though, because from experience you usually don't need it. I'll admit I'm biased in this whole debate as I'm painting 40 Bloodreavers right now and I'm bloody well going to use them.

That said, Bestigors are brutal as a unit of 30, even unbuffed. If I was just getting into the hobby I would be seriously looking at them instead of Bloodreavers, but you have to dance with who brung ya as they say. 

1 hour ago, Kazimer said:

So what did they change exactly? I cant find the new khorne changes anywhere 

Yes, I’ve seen the posts here- and some of the other posts regarding Slannesh- but where can we see where they discuss the changes and any speculation on points costs?

1 hour ago, andysonic1 said:

The part where I said allying it in at the very start of the comment, under the quote from the other user where he mentioned the Shaman. Don't have a cow, man.

Bloodreavers also get the +1 to run and charge from their Hornblower, but yes run+charge is always great.  I don't see it being absolutely necessary, though, because from experience you usually don't need it. I'll admit I'm biased in this whole debate as I'm painting 40 Bloodreavers right now and I'm bloody well going to use them.

That said, Bestigors are brutal as a unit of 30, even unbuffed. If I was just getting into the hobby I would be seriously looking at them instead of Bloodreavers, but you have to dance with who brung ya as they say. 

My apologies, didn't see you specified 'ally'. But either way, to me I wouldn't even bother allying in Beastmen. That rerolling and keyword synergy that you get from brass despoilers more than fills in the gaps. A unit of Great axe bullgors rerolling 1s to hit and ALL wounds is absolutely terrifying, let alone after adding all the buffs you can get off of the Secretor, Stoker and Priests.

9 hours ago, andysonic1 said:

Warhammer TV showed off the new warscrolls.

No huge changes, but bloodcrusher impact hit is a 2+, Karanak has 6 head attacks, the leader of the Fleshounds has a shooting attack. Unfortunately the bloodletters do a mortal wound on a 6 unmodified (so no stacking prayers), but it is in addition to normal damage.

Overall I'm happy. All good and needed changes. Hoping the points on everything didn't radically change.

How can I see this?

its been widely discussed in the Blades of Khorne Facebook group by people who saw the twitch stream and others reacting to it. If any khorne player on here is not a member of that group I would encourage you to join.

Theres been no discussion on points other than someone said Blood Crushers came down by 10 in addition to the charging mortal wounds on 2+ instead of 4+.

The shooting attack on the lead flesh hound is so meh its not funny. 8" range (so useless the turn they are summoned), 1 shot, no rend, 1 damage. Why they bothered I'll never know.

Karanak is a badass now with 6 attacks that do D3 damage, plus his claws, plus does D3 mortal wounds to a wizard if he successfully unbinds. He also gained the Hero keyword which is great for 3 places of power.

Bloodletters do mortals on unmodified 6's in addition to other damage which feels like a pretty big nerf. Someone will have to math hammer the difference in damage output.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Karanak is a badass now with 6 attacks that do D3 damage, plus his claws, plus does D3 mortal wounds to a wizard if he successfully unbinds. He also gained the Hero keyword which is great for 3 places of power.

If he's still 90pts, I'll be trying to squeeze him into every list I can. He gets "Look out, Sir!" and is melee effective now, but the biggest improvement to his scroll IMHO is that his free summon now happens at the end of his movement phase. That's gold.

Edited by Roark
  • Like 1

Someone posted that on FB :

FB_IMG_1544684927937.jpg.5a730bb4f3b45aeb19521a230f5b2d60.jpg

Best things for me are :

- call of the hunt : now at the end of movement phase, and 12" from karanak. That means we won't have to wait our next hero phase, and we can summon while we are fighting or quary (before that, we had no space to summon the hounds)

- hero keyword, for deamons loci

but his cost will increase I guess... 

15 hours ago, Kazimer said:

My apologies, didn't see you specified 'ally'. But either way, to me I wouldn't even bother allying in Beastmen. That rerolling and keyword synergy that you get from brass despoilers more than fills in the gaps. A unit of Great axe bullgors rerolling 1s to hit and ALL wounds is absolutely terrifying, let alone after adding all the buffs you can get off of the Secretor, Stoker and Priests.

and more importantly is so very Realm of Chaos; Slaves to Darkness.  Back in them day when all this internerd was fields, we as a khorne army could take minotaurs quite happily as they loved a bit of wanton slaughter :)

As the Khorne Lord says in WarQueen , You worship power.

Edited by Kaleb Daark
forgot to mention the extra attack added by the Aspiring deathbringer as well :)
  • Like 1