AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So in my continued search for good looking alternatives to the Khorgorath I came across these. My army is more neutral/oldscool themed too. Their size is a bit hard to tell, especially without the base, but what do you think? Would you have a problem with it in a friendly game or laidback tournament?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-SE/The-Wolf-kin-of-Russ

Edited by Bjornas
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

The rider Lord on the top is too hideous for a khorne muscle bound slaughterer.

I would prefer a helmeted head (which they should offer by default as an additional option for this price) than a centrepiece Khorne Lord that looks like he came out of a "Wrong Turn/The Hills have eyes" movie. 

Thats my issue with it chiefly.  The slaughterpriest, exalted deathbringer with spear, skullgrinder, even blood warriors have fantastic helmeted heads.  I can't really see what they were going for other than Sloth from the Goonies who looks like he's been through the wringer at least twice.  Additional note, why does he have one horn on one side of his head, and the massive bull neck?  Just an odd sculpting choice on an all around amazing sculpt in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Infernalslayer said:

The rider Lord on the top is too hideous for a khorne muscle bound slaughterer.

I would prefer a helmeted head (which they should offer by default as an additional option for this price) than a centrepiece Khorne Lord that looks like he came out of a "Wrong Turn/The Hills have eyes" movie. 

Well he is Vorgaroth the Scarred.  Looking at his skin I would guess there was some back story of being burned by Skalok’s balefire. None the less your point stands that at this price something simple like an alt head would be nice. 

I was kind of hoping the rider would come in an “on foot” version.

Hello everyone,

Finally converted to being a poster after lurking for quite a long time.

I took the Insensate Rage Bloodthirster with Ghyrstrike list to my local con, Crucible, this past weekend and I did really bad, but I've learned from that experience and then some.

So I decided to take a new approach to list building from being so pedal to the metal and reverted to a list with all Mortals but throwing out tons of attacks. 

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer (100)
Bloodstoker (80)
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General
- Trait: Berzerker Lord 
- Artefact: Gorecleaver 
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Battleline
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives

Units
10 x Skullreapers (340)
- Daemonblades
- 2x Soultearers
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (200)

Total: 1920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2

This is where I'm at so far.

How many of you have used the Warshrine? To me it looks incredible when paired with Gore Pilgrims since it allows you to spread out the Killing Frenzy blessings to other units and then the Warshrine keeps targetting the Bloodreavers. The Shrine also being mobile allows you to push the Bloodreavers farther up the board as well as getting that 6+ ignore wounds bubble to where you need it. 

As for Vorgaroth: 

I can't stand the model at all, it seems so rushed and the pricepoint, both in terms of USD and points, is just not feasible to use.

How many of you have used the Warshrine? To me it looks incredible when paired with Gore Pilgrims since it allows you to spread out the Killing Frenzy blessings to other units and then the Warshrine keeps targetting the Bloodreavers. The Shrine also being mobile allows you to push the Bloodreavers farther up the board as well as getting that 6+ ignore wounds bubble to where you need it. 

Warshrine is not reliable with rolling dice for cast. And you need to be wholly without to make buffs work. And khorne need to charge badly.

Second, you don't have enough power with blood warriors and skullreapers. They will stack, fighting stormcasts with their good save and decent damage output. As well as you don't have enough speed, not big enough blobs, your units will be wiped out one by one. Yes, you will get blood points, but it will be too late when you will be able to summon something decent, because your troops only are going to die, not your enemy. 

8 minutes ago, Revan123 said:

Warshrine is not reliable with rolling dice for cast. And you need to be wholly without to make buffs work. And khorne need to charge badly.

Second, you don't have enough power with blood warriors and skullreapers. They will stack, fighting stormcasts with their good save and decent damage output. As well as you don't have enough speed, not big enough blobs, your units will be wiped out one by one. Yes, you will get blood points, but it will be too late when you will be able to summon something decent, because your troops only are going to die, not your enemy. 

He has priests doing 2d6 mortal wounds per turn, bloodwarriors and reavers getting 4+ attacks each.  And can summon units of 5 or 10 bloodletters every turn.  2 pts to summon 5 and when they die you get a point back.  Easy emough to summon a bloodmaster for the locus and they get double attacks from the secrator.  He will put wounds out even vs 3+ saves.

He has priests doing 2d6 mortal wounds per turn

16 inches range and 4+ rerollable. And random D6. I don't say that it is bad, it is just not good enough to use as your main tool. Especially when you can get countercharge from Morhgasts or Drakkots or how this thing is called

bloodwarriors and reavers getting 4+ attacks each

Without Asparing Deathbringer they lose anoher attack. No respite is good, no doubt, but blobs, that in this list are not going to kill 40 skeletons or 30 ghosts. 

And can summon units of 5 or 10 bloodletters every turn

And they will do what exactly? They still need to geet 9 inch charge, they charge at the same time a blob of infantry, one of them strike, they counter attack and another squads of letters are wiped.

He will put wounds out even vs 3+ saves.

The problem is that you can't buff your guys, unless you summon them for 8 bloodtides. Because you summon then in the end of your movement phase, so no killing frenzy for this guys. 

I think even killing frenzy is not that good for this list. I would take Bronze flesh for warriors to make them actually survivable or sacrifasing models from units to get bloodtide. 

Because what would I do, if I play against such army: 

1. As khorne I would just charge them with my letters first turn and kill a lot of these guys. 

2. As nurgle I would use a blight cyst and they are forced to throw 5 save and die because amount of attacks from blightkings. Or even better, they are going to stuck in blobs of plaguebearers forever.

3. Daughters of Khaine... just witches and medusas. And morathi they are not able to kill like it all, and she is much more capable to kill them instead. 

4. Fyreslayers - just berzerkes and deepstrinking shooters

5. Death - blobs of cheep infantry, who is still capable to kill lot of unbuffed khorne guys. 

6. Destraction - first turn of Ironjaws can be really devastating. 

This is just a few examples

You would be surprised how many people blood warriors will kill buffed to 5 attacks each.  That's 51 attacks on the charge plus additional 5 attacks for every model you lose in close combat.  

Bloodthirster can be easily neutralized with wrathmongers.

Skullreapers will do damage to heavy armor.  

Daemons get summoned where or when you need them to play the objective game, guard heroes, or assist in close combats.  Just the fact you can keep bringing models back is a big deal especially vs the enemies that can't. 

Mortals with lots of attack buffs and blood tithe summoning aren't push overs.

Edited by Kevlar1972
Additional

Ooof that point cost of the Khorne Dragon makes Tamurkhan look reasonable!

Well it'll be interesting to see if people find success with him! I mean if he doesn't autodelete Nagash I'm not sure where those points went (well there sure are a lot of attacks I must say!). You could run 4 bloodthristers (the cheaper ones) with council of blood and be 10pts less than the dragon as a comparison.

But that -3 to cast and unbind sure is tasty looking.

You would be surprised how many people blood warriors will kill buffed to 5 attacks each.  That's 51 attacks on the charge plus additional 5 attacks for every model you lose in close combat.  

I don't reject that, but it is not going to be easy to get monger close enough to get fifth attack, not saying that they have short per model aura. not unit. Wrathmongers probably will be needed in another place at the same time. I know that even hit bloodwarriors are not that good with their returning of mortal wounds. But regardless, I think 20man blob of with 2+ save will be a problem for three turns for the opponent rather than one or two. And now they have a point to give them +1 to wound, because there are not so many command points to play this combo each turn

Bloodthirster can be easily neutralized with wrathmongers.

this is why any good positioning of the troops can neutralize easy opportunity to do something good around it. Enemy is free to choose, when one of the core term of victory is making as much worse situation for enemy as possible. Here an enemy will have more opportunites for that in my opinion. Mongers are slow, Thirsters can fly and fly far away. I love this unit, but no as a monster hunter, my tactic is to force an enemy to make moves that will going to have bad conciquences for him.

Skullreapers will do damage to heavy armor.  

If you will be allowed to get to that heavy armor. And they can't do anything to Zombie Dragon with 3++ invulnarable

Weighing in on what you guys are discussing here I’ve ran a different list using similar ideas of the warshrine, and 4 priests to generate as many blood tithe as possible and it’s worked fairly well, It’s  2x40 and 1x10 reavers with one priest and a Stoker in a dark feast and 3 priests, secrator, 1x10 reavers and 1x10 warriors in Gorepilgrims and also a warshrine, the list itself doesent hit particularly hard but grinds stuff out pretty well, it also generates loads of bloodtithe for summoning and is generally bringing out a thirster on turn 2, it’s gone 6-3 so far and won me best in faction at Blackout 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Revan123 said:

I don't reject that, but it is not going to be easy to get monger close enough to get fifth attack, not saying that they have short per model aura. not unit. Wrathmongers probably will be needed in another place at the same time. I know that even hit bloodwarriors are not that good with their returning of mortal wounds. But regardless, I think 20man blob of with 2+ save will be a problem for three turns for the opponent rather than one or two. And now they have a point to give them +1 to wound, because there are not so many command points to play this combo each turn

this is why any good positioning of the troops can neutralize easy opportunity to do something good around it. Enemy is free to choose, when one of the core term of victory is making as much worse situation for enemy as possible. Here an enemy will have more opportunites for that in my opinion. Mongers are slow, Thirsters can fly and fly far away. I love this unit, but no as a monster hunter, my tactic is to force an enemy to make moves that will going to have bad conciquences for him.

If you will be allowed to get to that heavy armor. And they can't do anything to Zombie Dragon with 3++ invulnarable

The thing with khorne mortals is with buff stacking and priest range you are better off turtling over objectives vs assault armies.  Layer your troops reavers first then warriors for counter charge.  Put aspiring deathbringer between them for command ability. Backed up by wrathmongers for buffs then mix in your priests and blood secrator with another unit or two of reavers to guard the flanks and rear.

Keep them together and summon daemons as needed. 

Like said above a 2nd turn wrath of khorne thirster is a fairly easy summon if you take 3x blood sacrifice and burn down a single unit of 10 reavers.  Hell chaos warriors with shields may be a better target since they will last longer.  

Then mix in hounds or letters as needed.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:27 PM, Killax said:

Cheers! Yeah Wrathmongers are just allround awesome and act as a backup Bloodsecrator plan also. Crimson Haze basically buffs everybody except them. So yes, if Skullreapers are near them (often behind) they too will recieve additional attacks.

Bloodfury is the main selling point, you can choose what it attacks, including itself. So yeah Stonehorn, Archaon's etc. punching themselves. Heck even Skarband tries to knock himself out.

By my way I got a question about Wrathmongers Bloodfury, say if 10 Ironguts have killed 5 Wrathmongers in that combat phase, is there possible that 5 Ironguts fight themselves or only 1 Irongut?

Want to make sure if I've understood right before I'll play with them in the tournament soon!

Fredrik

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Overtyrant of Destruction said:

By my way I got a question about Wrathmongers Bloodfury, say if 10 Ironguts have killed 5 Wrathmongers in that combat phase, is there possible that 5 Ironguts fight themselves or only 1 Irongut?

Want to make sure if I've understood right before I'll play with them in the tournament soon!

Fredrik

It says "each time" a wrathmonger is slain, so as long as there is at least one enemy model within 2" that hasn't been affected by bloodfury then yes, he can pick a different model.  You can get creative with model removal to try to avert some damage.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kevlar1972 said:

It says "each time" a wrathmonger is slain, so as long as there is at least one enemy model within 2" that hasn't been affected by bloodfury then yes, he can pick a different model.  You can get creative with model removal to try to avert some damage.

Thank you! I was unsure when it says "a" as sometimes it means "any" rather than "one" or some like that. But all right, thanks! :)

6 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

Regarding that, is it needed that at least 1 monger is alive ? I mean if i send them to a big boss that kill them all, can I still select the boss to attack itself ?

I read it and I would say yes. Each time he is slain, then choose an enemy model that is within 2" of the slain model. It means still if I had only a Wrahthmonger and he has been killed by a monster, it will works with Bloodfury and after that, the Wrathmonger model is removed ;)

Edited by Overtyrant of Destruction

26 minutes ago, Overtyrant of Destruction said:

I read it and I would say yes. Each time he is slain, then choose an enemy model that is within 2" of the slain model. It means still if I had only a Wrahthmonger and he has been killed by a monster, it will works with Bloodfury and after that, the Wrathmonger model is removed ;)

Ok, thanks

21 minutes ago, Manticore92 said:

Hi folks, quick couple of questions for you.

Do you prefer paired axes or gorefists on blood warriors? 

Are meatripper axes worth considering on bloodreavers? 

Currently running 2 min units of each in gore pilgrims. 

My experience is that Gorefists are often prefered than Paired Axes where they still suck at 4+ to wound, it just makes a little different but if you build min 10 up to 30 warriors then I would take Paired Axes where it will be more offensive. Gorefists are better if you go small units like 5-10 men and hoping that they stay in cover so that Gorefists will be more useful, maybe if you go priest with +1 to save too..

Meatripper Axes are better but it still depends on which unit you are facing against and what your list looks. If you go against Nighthaunts or ID, Reaver Blades win :P 

Gore Pilgrims I would prefer 2 min unit because for the blood for the god. But as I told, it depends on what type of list you go.

Game today - Please help  me avoid opponents Sniping my characters -

My last game My opponent sniped my characters- out of the game by turn 2 - primarily using spells.  

My first question is how do you avoid having characters sniped out of the game?

Second, because of the Sniping - I’m likely going to *bring 2 Bloodsecrators * - Is this an overreaction?

Edited by Coyote