AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So I had my battle tonight, using the list above.  It was against dominion stormcast and a star stake. On points I lost by a single VP at end of turn 5

Overall i fares better than I expected. I learnt a lot

The battle tactics and grand strategies are really important to play well and will get you a lot of vp even if objectives are gone.

Bloodsecrator in alter w bezerker lord is hard to kill.

Wrathmongers did really well, their explode into MW on death is a godsend. I may up from unit to 2 or 3 units lol.

Coherency is painful and nullifies a lot of hitting power

10 chaos warriors are ok

akull reapers were expensive

pronces run and charge debuff is really useful, I kept forgetting Mark of the slayer 

Manticore lord is still ok

i never got to use curse, blood boil was more useful

76134A82-9EA7-4585-98BE-4A3E9E992370.jpeg

• Like 6

@Praecautus close games a good game! Good to hear the a Berzerker Lord Bloodsecrator in the altar is hard to kill as Im leaning that way too. Did he survive the battle? 

Looking over your list and I was wondering if you had an extra artifact? Banner of Wraith, Gorecleaver and Mark of the Slayer is 3 but your battalions (Command Entourage and 2 x Vanguard) only allowed for 2. Am I missing something? 

42 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Is there a good way to ensure Skarbrand makes it into combat at the right time?  All I can see is a reroll charge ability from a bannered Bloodsecrator or whichever other Thirster does it, and then an Unfettered Thirster for 6" pilein.  Bloodstoker doesn't intimidate Skarbrand enough anymore.

Maybe the Slaughterpriest with Bloodbind?  I've never tried that one.

I’ve used blood tithe movement on many occasions to move around screens or close the gap so he’ll make his charge. He has reroll charges vanilla also remember.

If I’m expecting screens I’ll often take blood sacrifice, expecting that I’ll need that blood tithe movement earlier in the rounds.

23 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Praecautus close games a good game! Good to hear the a Berzerker Lord Bloodsecrator in the altar is hard to kill as Im leaning that way too. Did he survive the battle? 

Looking over your list and I was wondering if you had an extra artifact? Banner of Wraith, Gorecleaver and Mark of the Slayer is 3 but your battalions (Command Entourage and 2 x Vanguard) only allowed for 2. Am I missing something? 

Yes, 3 artefacts. You get 1 artefact, spell and prayer for free before battalions and then 1 enhancement for each of the battalions. Unless I misread something?

yes the general survived but it was close, at the end of the very first turn he was on 1 ho prior to being able to garrison but the heal hero ability got him to full ho in 2 turns.

14 minutes ago, Troll.exe said:

I’ve used blood tithe movement on many occasions to move around screens or close the gap so he’ll make his charge. He has reroll charges vanilla also remember.

If I’m expecting screens I’ll often take blood sacrifice, expecting that I’ll need that blood tithe movement earlier in the rounds.

Ah ha, Murderlust!  I just plain missed the part about a normal move too (and Skarbrand's native reroll charges!).  

Screens are so annoying.  I should probably have some.

14 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Yes, 3 artefacts. You get 1 artefact, spell and prayer for free before battalions and then 1 enhancement for each of the battalions. Unless I misread something?

yes the general survived but it was close, at the end of the very first turn he was on 1 ho prior to being able to garrison but the heal hero ability got him to full ho in 2 turns.

No you dont get one artefact per battalion. Those are old rules. Only Command Entourage and Warlord battalions grant an extra enhancement. Vanguard grants a once per battle reroll charge or auto run 6 for the units in the battalion. 

6 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

No you dont get one artefact per battalion. Those are old rules. Only Command Entourage and Warlord battalions grant an extra enhancement. Vanguard grants a once per battle reroll charge or auto run 6 for the units in the battalion. 

Ah sorry that’s a typo In my post that missed. I have written vanguard twice above. I used the battalions that gave an artefact each ie warlord and command entourage. Sorry that’s my typo. Everything else is right. I am not sure I would take the third artefact as I kept forgetting the impact of MoS. 

One thing I was reflecting on, the Bloodsecrator being stuck is not mobile and several units on the flanks were out of his bubble of +1 attacks so getting some more attack buffs would b e good for flexibility and / or putting the alter eitherto one side so a flank and center are better covered.

Somethingn else which struck me after the event is the usefulness of a reinforced unit of bloodreavers. Their job is to regain control of an objective especially in these days of MSU. Just  by sheer weight of numbers, whip em up and onto a contested objective. It helped in my game to hold the 10 reavers in reserve for this job. They are our cheapest way of doing it. So a unit of 20 may be a valuable addition.

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Charleston said:

Guys, I am still confused about our Judgements. Do the rules on page 77 still apply? I've read many contradicting statements online so far

My take is most of it applies, modified by the new core rules page 25 on invocations, and the errata for Blades of Khorne. New points in 2021 General's Handbook.
Errata states that Judgements are now Invocations, and gives the three sets totally changed datasheets, including wording for summoning them.

Enemy Priests can now attempt to dispel them per core rules.
They are still likely to dispel themselves end of each battle round based on BoK book, and often have wording in the Errata warscrolls to dispel after some effect is completed.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:12 AM, CrimsonKing said:

My take is most of it applies, modified by the new core rules page 25 on invocations, and the errata for Blades of Khorne. New points in 2021 General's Handbook.
Errata states that Judgements are now Invocations, and gives the three sets totally changed datasheets, including wording for summoning them.

Enemy Priests can now attempt to dispel them per core rules.
They are still likely to dispel themselves end of each battle round based on BoK book, and often have wording in the Errata warscrolls to dispel after some effect is completed.

From my reading a priest can only chant one prayer per turn now as well, since the core rules state that priests can chant one prayer per turn. Which means we can no longer chant blood boil, bronzed flesh, and summon an invocation all in the same turn with a single priest... 

Would love it if someone can prove me wrong though! I have a warshrine and it too is in the same place by my estimation :(

1 hour ago, BeerBoar said:

From my reading a priest can only chant one prayer per turn now as well, since the core rules state that priests can chant one prayer per turn. Which means we can no longer chant blood boil, bronzed flesh, and summon an invocation all in the same turn with a single priest... 

Would love it if someone can prove me wrong though! I have a warshrine and it too is in the same place by my estimation :(

At least you can chant 1 prayer and also summon 1 invocation with one priest in each hero phase. Kinda pushes you to get a Judgement to maximize the use out of your priests.
Perhaps when our book is updated there will be some 3.0 specific rules for that (artifact to buff priest prayer ability for example)

On 7/27/2021 at 6:06 AM, Perturbato said:

What do you think about razorgor as an unleash hell decoy ?

Tricky thing with unleash hell is the unit shooting doesn't even need to be the unit being attacked, just within 9"... a tricky opponent can run a screen in front of his archers. The screen is charged by Razorgor, but enemy doesn't unleash. Your prized unit charges, THEN he unleashes hell on them anyways.

Unless opponent is less organized.

I think for 40 more points you can take some Furies. Lose 5+ save, then gain fly + 2" of movement, triple the wounds and attacks, then in combat phase if you want you could just fly off (better is in opponent's combat phase next turn then repeat move and charge on your next turn)

Edited by CrimsonKing
Razorgor or fury comparison

40 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

At least you can chant 1 prayer and also summon 1 invocation with one priest in each hero phase. Kinda pushes you to get a Judgement to maximize the use out of your priests.
Perhaps when our book is updated there will be some 3.0 specific rules for that (artifact to buff priest prayer ability for example)

Oh dear, I did some digging and I am afraid this isn't true. Core rule 20.0 states that "Each friendly priest can chant one prayer that they know in your hero phase" and the new rules for all the invocations in the Blades of Khorne faq start with "this invocation is summoned with a prayer that has answer value of x".

So yeah, no dice unless rules are changed, since as written invocations require you to use your prayer for the turn to get them on the table :(

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BeerBoar said:

Oh dear, I did some digging and I am afraid this isn't true. Core rule 20.0 states that "Each friendly priest can chant one prayer that they know in your hero phase" and the new rules for all the invocations in the Blades of Khorne faq start with "this invocation is summoned with a prayer that has answer value of x".

So yeah, no dice unless rules are changed, since as written invocations require you to use your prayer for the turn to get them on the table :(

Buuuuut this is just reason to take moooore Slaughterpriests and Warshrines than ever before! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BeerBoar said:

Ouch... I did some digging into another faction that uses prayers, The Magma Dwarves! Same wording in their errata on their new invocation datasheets. In addition, they have an artifact that doubles down on the prayer wording: Emberstone Rune. Change to: ‘Add 1 to chanting rolls for prayers chanted by the bearer that summon an invocation.’

2 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

Ouch... I did some digging into another faction that uses prayers, The Magma Dwarves! Same wording in their errata on their new invocation datasheets. In addition, they have an artifact that doubles down on the prayer wording: Emberstone Rune. Change to: ‘Add 1 to chanting rolls for prayers chanted by the bearer that summon an invocation.’

same for those b*tches DoK they have a temple thing where they are able to cast two prayers.

I love the fact that they said "wow AOS priest are the best now, look at the nice slaughterpriest we use in the cover" and the slaughterpriest is nerf to oblivion (he was kinda OP i know but it was the only OP thing in khorne and we have many meh warscroll or allegeance rules in mortals)

• Like 2

I started AOS when it came out with khorne and I kept strong until 2.0 and realized the identity of the army and as a faction was worse than a disaster. I personally felt nothing had a place together and how a lot of " khorne values" are up in the air with old warhammer lore and current lore. I know its not a popular opinion to have about khorne but I will always think and believe of all the potential they could have still. But I decided to part with my collection with all the negativity I had myself and the game design. 

Even if GW throws your armies into the plastic sludge it doesn't have to be the end of something you enjoy. But the beginning of something new you could have control over. Make homebrew rules, experiment with new ideas and concepts not in the faction, start a campaign with a twist, convert models or full armies, write some fanfiction, etc.

Always room to improve your skills in the game, hobby, and importantly, enjoy it. Don't let GW or other people decide the experience for you. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blood0Tiger said:

I started AOS when it came out with khorne and I kept strong until 2.0 and realized the identity of the army and as a faction was worse than a disaster. I personally felt nothing had a place together and how a lot of " khorne values" are up in the air with old warhammer lore and current lore. I know its not a popular opinion to have about khorne but I will always think and believe of all the potential they could have still. But I decided to part with my collection with all the negativity I had myself and the game design. 

It is frustrating that the current identity of Bloodbound to GW seems just to be mindless goons (see the footnote on today's Warhammer Community article about the new Stormcast tome) to be destroyed. I wish we could afford to play mindlessly! It takes so damn much thought to make this army work on the table. And while Khorne cares not, I do!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zamik said:

It is frustrating that the current identity of Bloodbound to GW seems just to be mindless goons (see the footnote on today's Warhammer Community article about the new Stormcast tome) to be destroyed. I wish we could afford to play mindlessly! It takes so damn much thought to make this army work on the table. And while Khorne cares not, I do!

If you are curious about looking into this yourself check out the old fantasy books about the chaos gods, khorne was changed and then abandoned for other projects. Even outside the game they have no relevance of importance in the mortal realms or in khornes realm. 

• Like 2

I only played khorne, slave to darkness and tzeentch. I find khorne the hardest to play to be at least efficient and there is so many easy way of playing in the others armies but whenever i talk to other people they say "ah you know you have bloodthirsters and the daemon prince they are very good and if you are not happy play archaon now shut up".

What makes our identity ? We are glass canon that can't deal damage and our roleplay buff range sucks (8"). Our hardest hitting hero(skarbrand) favorite thing is hiding because of slow and only 4+ armor. Yay khorne daemon prince favorite thing is .. slow the honourable foe that wants to hit us. Our anti magic things are weaker than tzeentch(we should have more magic resistance like the skullshard mantle instead of random unbinds). 

I think there are some list that are good in khorne but they are not the way i wan't to play and that's the problem : we currently don't have a battletome and allegeances/sub allegeance that allow us to play the way we want. 

• Like 4

I think we have really had the rug pulled from under us in 3.0. It’s not going to be easy to play Khorne, especially mortals. Saying that I don’t feel it’s the end and there are options, but as said above it may be easier with other armies and less of a mind melter. I am still going to persist with the army for fun playing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1