AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

You can field them in units of 3 or 4. However, they only have Leadership 6, so if you Lose one, you might Lose another and that unit is almost gone. Especially, if the enemy has some - Leadership, they will easily fall apart. Moreover, if the Khorgoraths heal, the whole unit only heals one wound. That is why they are much better off as Single models. Single models can heal one wound wach, excessive damage does Not Transfer to the next Khorgorath and they are easy Blood Tithe. 

So rather use 3-4 Single Khorgorath than one unit of 4.

Edited by Salyx

9 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

The flip side is that a big unit can receive buffs easier (hello skullfiend tribe)

Actually, the beauty of the Skullfiend command is that it affects all units of Khorgies within range. I only realised this fairly recently myself...

• Like 1

Hi

Just got into AOS during the pandemic. Just finished painting my start collecting box of Bloodbound Warband.

Decided that I really enjoyed the Lore and asthetic so I have pledged myself to the blood god and am now on the path of skulls.

Yesterday I purchased a blood thirster kit, Skabrand, 2 slaughter priests, a Box of bloodreavers a, a box of wrathmongers and a box of bloodletters for summoning.

Ok. Now what else do I need to buy next to comfortably generate a few compettitive lists other then 2 more bloodthirsters.

Happy to buy StD and paint it red. Eventually ill end up buying at least one of everything because im just a sucker like that.

But in order of usefullness what are the next purchases you suggest.

1 hour ago, Bonhammerstorm said:

Noob question

Generally speaking, what are better Wrathmongers or Bonereapers?

If I buy 2x boxes should I build 1 of each or 2 of the same type?

Both are great units. Skull reapers are one of the best mortal damage dealing units and will butcher hordes.

wrathmongers are great assault troops and attack buff source. They work very well with Skarr bloodwrath 

You can build both units from one box, you just need some spare legs eg from easy build blood warriors or some such.

1 hour ago, Bonhammerstorm said:

I want to be able to run mortals. Also in maybe another list run a bunch of blood thirsters. I do not really care about bloodletters or other little deamons.

A good start for a mortal list is a gorepilgrims build using the goretribe slaughterhost. It’s quite forgiving and relatively easy to get the pieces.

a minimum  build is

2 priests

blood secrator

reavers 2x10

blood warriors 1x5

This is cheapish and gets your battleline and support pieces down in 1 drop.

The trick w Khorne is multiple small units so you can rack up the tithe so generally taking units at their min size is best and most efficient for us.

On top of this you will need some real hammer units. Mortal options include

Skull reapers - 2x5 is good

A beat stick hero - our best options are  Khorne marked lord on krakadrak and manticore lord armed w lance and sword. Give either hew the foe and gorecleaver on their main weapon and you have a real beat stick.

Get the blood blessings - skulls and axe are good. Skulls will give a magic heavy army a real problem - hello lumineth. Axe is just a mean damage dealer

Get the alter for your priests

Uou will need something speedy to grab objectives and or react to threats. Chaos knights look interesting for us now - especially w lord on krakadrak or lord on daemon Mount.

Daemon Prince is usually fun, but he is more of a support piece now. His command ability will really mess with fast charging armies

For summons 10-20 bloodletters max, 5-10 hounds. Rest is pretty situational but try not to fall into the trap of saving up for a thirster. A mortal list really needs good tithe use to be effective and hogging it all for 1 model is usually not a good idea

• Thanks 2

On 10/4/2020 at 3:55 PM, Praecautus said:

A good start for a mortal list is a gorepilgrims build using the goretribe slaughterhost. It’s quite forgiving and relatively easy to get the pieces.

You seem really knowledgeable, wanted to ask which battalions would you recommend?  or what is the meta and what is their composition? How many bloodthirsters should I have in the army and in the summoning tithe pool? 

Edited by Feii

5 hours ago, Feii said:

I only play mortals so can’t really comment on thirster builds. In terms of mortals the best battalions avoid having units close to a squishy hero or putting too many leaders you don’t want into your list. So ones like gorepilgrims, dark feast and slaughterborn are my favourites.

gorepilgrim is great, good buff as well as battleline and 3 or 4 heros you will want to take in 1 drop.

dark feast is cheap and brings in your battleline and a priest. It synergises well with expensive low count builds eg thirster builds 

slaughterborn is good fun especially if you like skullreapers. It makes them harder to kill. The exalted deathbringer can become a powerhouse if built right. The big spear one can get over 10 attacks w his MW spear.

if playing mortals you will need 1 thirster maximum for summoning. He is not worth being in the list on his own in a mortal list. too squishy and expensive plus bring a nothing to a mortal army

Edited by Praecautus

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

I only play mortals so can’t really comment on thirster builds. In terms of mortals the best battalions avoid having units close to a squishy hero or putting too many leaders you don’t want into your list. So ones like gorepilgrims, dark feast and slaughterborn are my favourites.

gorepilgrim is great, good buff as well as battleline and 3 or 4 heros you will want to take in 1 drop.

dark feast is cheap and brings in your battleline and a priest. It synergises well with expensive low count builds eg thirster builds 

slaughterborn is good fun especially if you like skullreapers. It makes them harder to kill. The exalted deathbringer can become a powerhouse if built right. The big spear one can get over 10 attacks w his MW spear.

if playing mortals you will need 1 thirster maximum for summoning. He is not worth being in the list on his own in a mortal list. too squishy and expensive plus bring a nothing to a mortal army

may I ask you what is your current competitive list?

On 10/5/2020 at 12:54 AM, Bonhammerstorm said:

I want to be able to run mortals. Also in maybe another list run a bunch of blood thirsters. I do not really care about bloodletters or other little deamons.

For the daemon list you’ll want 3x5 flesh hounds for battleline (You can swap this out for gore pilgrims to get your drops down as mentioned above) They get reroll 1s to hit from the bloodthirsters and you’ll have 3-4 of those providing that buff so it’s worthwhile. They also make good units to summon because of the reroll charge on the warscroll, so you have a good chance of getting them into combat on the same turn.

Get 3 bloodthirster kits plus Skarbrand and make one of each, they’re all viable apart from the exalted greater daemon of khorne. Tyrants of blood is the go to daemon battalion. Take 3-4 bloodthirsters  at 2k points. 

It’s worth noting that you can modify the attack characteristic of Skarbrands Carnage axe to 3. If you buff him with wrathmongers and a bloodsecrator then double attack with “Leave none alive” from the Reapers of Vengeance Slaughterhost, you’ll pump out more damage then anything else in AoS

When you combine tyrants of blood with reapers of vengance you can chain all 4 bloodthirster attacks back to back then double attack with the last one.

Also consider Archaon for daemon lists. He can double attack with Reapers of Vengeance. He is also a mortal so you can reroll wounds with a bloodstoker. Plenty of options for variation there.

I’ll be here all day at this rate so I’ll leave it at that for now. Any questions about daemons I’m happy to help. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Troll.exe said:

For the daemon list you’ll want 3x5 flesh hounds for battleline (You can swap this out for gore pilgrims to get your drops down as mentioned above) They get reroll 1s to hit from the bloodthirsters and you’ll have 3-4 of those providing that buff so it’s worthwhile. They also make good units to summon because of the reroll charge on the warscroll, so you have a good chance of getting them into combat on the same turn.

Get 3 bloodthirster kits plus Skarbrand and make one of each, they’re all viable apart from the exalted greater daemon of khorne. Tyrants of blood is the go to daemon battalion. Take 3-4 bloodthirsters  at 2k points. 

It’s worth noting that you can modify the attack characteristic of Skarbrands Carnage axe to 3. If you buff him with wrathmongers and a bloodsecrator then double attack with “Leave none alive” from the Reapers of Vengeance Slaughterhost, you’ll pump out more damage then anything else in AoS

When you combine tyrants of blood with reapers of vengance you can chain all 4 bloodthirster attacks back to back then double attack with the last one.

Also consider Archaon for daemon lists. He can double attack with Reapers of Vengeance. He is also a mortal so you can reroll wounds with a bloodstoker. Plenty of options for variation there.

I’ll be here all day at this rate so I’ll leave it at that for now. Any questions about daemons I’m happy to help. 

thanks for your eager response I was just more looking for the summoning tithe m,odels I need if I choose to build normal human khorne lists. I just prefer the human berserker flavours! + I would be able to practice flesh painting

20 hours ago, Feii said:

may I ask you what is your current competitive list?

First off I am not a competitive player, I just play at a club with a competitive mindset. Second I have not played Sigmar for months due to lockdown.

Before lockdown I was playing gorepilgrims in goretide and was generally doing well. Struggled against the top tier armies eg Slaanesh and bonereapers. Plus w changed in GHB2020 I need to rebuild my list. I am planning to build around Slave knights w Khorne mark. I am still refining the list  but it will include

Lord on daemon Mount

Priest or 2

Blood secrator

15 chaos warriors

10 knights w lances

2x5 knights w ensorc weapons 

some reavers or marauders

warshrine

skull reapers

skulls

darkfeast battalion

On 10/3/2020 at 1:54 PM, Bonhammerstorm said:

Hi

Just got into AOS during the pandemic. Just finished painting my start collecting box of Bloodbound Warband.

Decided that I really enjoyed the Lore and asthetic so I have pledged myself to the blood god and am now on the path of skulls.

Yesterday I purchased a blood thirster kit, Skabrand, 2 slaughter priests, a Box of bloodreavers a, a box of wrathmongers and a box of bloodletters for summoning.

Ok. Now what else do I need to buy next to comfortably generate a few compettitive lists other then 2 more bloodthirsters.

Happy to buy StD and paint it red. Eventually ill end up buying at least one of everything because im just a sucker like that.

But in order of usefullness what are the next purchases you suggest.

Glad to hear you've started a Khorne army. 

For your next steps, I would get a box or two of skullreapers, they're one of our best blendy units and don't require any buffs to do some serious damage. I would also get a box of the Judgements of Khorne, they look sick, the Hexgorger Skulls are devastating in todays meta and the Wrath Axe can put out some serious damage.

Mighty skullcrushers are fun, especially in Brass Stampede, but they're a little too pricey 

Blood Warriors suck don't get any more than you need to

StD, especially with the new battletome has a TON of great options for a Khorne army.

Standouts include the Daemon Prince, he's not as good offensively after GW got rid of the realm artefacts in GH20 but he still packs some punch and his CA is BRUTAL

Chaos Warshrine is fantastic if you're force has a significant portion of StD, but not that useful otherwise

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak can deal a ridiculous amount of damage in the Goretide slaughterhost if he's your general, the Hew the Foe CT gives him +1 damage on all his weapons and he has A LOT. He also serves to buff Chaos Knights (we'll get to them later)

Mounted Chaos Lord and the regular Chaos lord don't provide as much damage, but the mounted lord can buff your knights like the karkadrak and the regular lord can make an StD unit fight twice

Chaos Marauders see a lot of use, they're a great horde unit that can really do some damage with the proper buffs, and their 25mm base size and optionial 2" weapons allows you to take them in large units (they're basically what bloodreavers should be)

Chaos Knights are also great, they're fast and can provide insane damage output with their cursed lances and the proper buffs on the charge

Chaos Chosen are... not great but not terrible either

The Varanguard are too expensive to see much use

In general, mortal lists rely on putting a ridiculous amount of buffs on units that usually can't stand very well on their own through battalions. For competitive mortal lists, the bloodstoker, bloodsecrator and at least 2 slaughterpriests are pretty much auto includes, and the 1-2 remaining hero slots are usually filled with an StD hero like the DP or one of the Chaos Lords (usually the Karkadrak)

Goretide sees the most use for mortal slaughterhosts, unless you're running a lot of Khorgoraths, if you whip a unit of bloodreavers and then use the goretide CA, you can shoot them across the board  20" + 2d6

For battalions, Gore Pilgrims is an auto include, Dark Feast is popular for MSU bloodreaver lists, Brass Stampede is decent, and Skulltake sees some use, but the units it's comprised of are very expensive.

Anyway, that's about it, I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have. Until next time!

(Just realized I didn't rank them in order of usefullness, but I gave a decent explanation for each one so we should be good)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

How would you improve this list? 

Allegiance: Khorne

Slaughterhost: Goretide

Leaders

• Skullgrinder (General) (80)
    • Command Trait: Hew the Foe
    • Artefact: Gorecleaver
  • Korghos Khul (180)
  • Bloodsecrator (120)
    • Artefact: Thronebreaker’s Torc
  • Skarr Bloodwrath(100)
  • Slaughterpriest (100)
    • Blessing of Khorne: Killing Frenzy

Battleline

• 5x Blood Warriors (100)
  • 5x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5x Flesh Hounds (100)

Battalion

• The Bloodforged (120)

Other

• 5x Wrathmongers (140)
  • 5x Wrathmongers (140)
  • 5x Wrathmongers (140)
  • 5x Wrathmongers (140)
  • Karanak (140)

Judgments of Khorne

• Wrath Axe (40) 
  • Hexgorger Skulls (40) 

Scenery

• Skull Altar (0)

Total Points: 2000/2000

5 minutes ago, Feii said:

How would you improve this list? 

I've always wanted to try skullgrinder with gore cleaver and hew the foe, I think that could be a lot of fun. To get the most out of this list, I would axe Korghos Khul, his 8" pile in is fun but he's WAY to expensive to justify using him.

In his stead I would add another slaughterpriest and get the gore pilgrims battalion, it's pretty much an auto include for Khorne armies as its buffs are GREAT

I would drop all the blood warriors you don't need except for the minimum sized unit required for Gore Pilgrims and bloodforged, they really suck and they're too expensive

Karanak is fun, I like flesh hounds and I adore Hex-Gorger Skulls and the wrath axe isn't bad

Here's my improved version of this list:

- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Bloodsecrator (120)
Karanak (140)
Skarr Bloodwrath (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Skullgrinder (80)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
Gore Pilgrims (140)
Bloodforged (120)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 142

Here's how I would make this list, it keeps all the core components of your original list while improving it to get the most out of. I couldn't fit in space for the wrath axe because hex gorger skulls are crucial in todays magic heavy meta

you have space for 3 artefacts, one of which must be thronebreakers torc, which must be put on the bloodsecrator. I would put brazen rune on a slaughterpriest and gorecleaver on the skullgrinder.

One thing I noticed is that this list lacks MW output so it might struggle against armies like OBR, and I think you might struggle to cap objectives because wrahtmongers are kinda slow, but if you use the doggos and you're bloodreaver unit properly you might be able to make it work.

Overall I think this is a fun list and I'd like to hear how it does in the future

Hi i need advice with 1250 list on my ecalation league(i loved skullcrushers) this is my proposition 

- Mortal Realm: Ghur
LEADERS
Bloodsecrator (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe 
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc 
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
UNITS
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (320)
- Bloodglaives
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (320)
- Bloodglaives
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
TOTAL: 1250/2000 WOUNDS: 112
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400

23 hours ago, Skarband said:

Hi i need advice with 1250 list on my ecalation league(i loved skullcrushers) this is my proposition 

Looks like a fun list, I only have a few minor tweaks

1. Don't  make the Bloodsecrator you're general, Hew the Foe is pretty much wasted on him because A. He should almost never be in combat and B. His weapon sucks, you don't really have a decent beatstick hero in this list, so I would make the Bloodstoker your general so he can get hew the foe, with his 2 weapons he'll be a little scarier in combat. If you do want a cheap beatstick hero I would take out the Bloodstoker, take a skull grinder and give Hew the Foe to him.

2. Skullcrushers aren't battleline unless you have a juggerlord as your general, which means you only have 2 battleline now. This is fine because it segways nicely into point #3

3. Never take more than 10 bloodreavers in a unit. A. They have big bases and 1" reach on their weapons, meaning you'll struggle to get 20 all piled in. B. They die like flies no matter what unit size you take them in C. More units, more Bloodtithe D. Splitting up your unit of 20 guarantees you fulfill your league's battleline requirements (A 1250 point limit is in that squishy zone for battleline requirements)

4. Other than those tweaks, I think this list looks like a ton of fun, and I'd like to hear how it does in the future. 

• Like 1

Hello guys,

I participated in 16 people tournament this weekend. Lists were varied, but with some really tough ones. I'm really glad I finished 6th with 2 wins, 1 lose, as it was my 2nd tournament ever, I mostly play for fun with a few friends.

There goes my list :

Spoiler

- Mortal Realm: Chamon
LEADERS
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Axe
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest with Bloodbathed Axe (100)
Slaughterpriest
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrath-hammer (100)
Slaughterpriest
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
UNITS
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
BATTALIONS
Slaughterborn (170)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Extra Command Point (50)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 125
LEADERS: 6/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4

First game was Better part of Valor against an OBR with katakros, 2 catapults and a 40-mortek pack of doom. We only had 3 battlelines each, so it was about killing enemy lines first. I manage to burn objectives and score enough VP with my bloodwarriors before the catas were able to obliterate them. The daemon prince tried to interfere with them, but I didn't realize how resilient they are. But I guess he did a pretty good job distracting them and so protecting my BW for 2 shooting phases. I won the game because my skullreapers and priests managed to do enough MW to get rid of the mortek pack before my opponent could score. I didn't even try to hurt katakros.

2nd game was against a nurgle mixed demons/mortal army with 3 GUOs and bel'akor, on the total engagement scenario. First of all, I was very lucky with  my judgments out all the time and a lot of MW from the priests. He failed a lot of castings because of my Anti-magic Shield System©, but still manage to kill most of my heroes with geminids and rotigus spell. In the end, I won with a muderlust BT trick in 4th turn that allowed the last remaining WM to escape Rotigus and steal the objective! Fun fact, the daemon prince killed bel'akor and then avoided 2 charges from GUOs thanks to bloods lock ground (he rolled 3 and 4 on 3" charges 😂)

Last game (the one I lost) was against a very good tzeench player, playing a duplicitous army with 40 pinks and a Duke on places of arcane power. This one was very hard, he used a lot of movement control tricks and locked down a big chunk of my army for the first 2 turns. I guess he didn't realize khorne can have such a damage output that I removed all the pinks very fast and I stole 2 of the 3 objectives by turn 2. In the end, we didn't have time to finish the game but the blues still on the table were killing my heroes and my prince didn't manage to kill his duke. So even if i gave a good fight, the game was lost.

So thinking about all this, my first feedback was that 3x5 Skullreapers is amazing and a real threat against most units. But you kind of fall short against big single model. The daemon prince with "whipped to fury" and "bronzed flesh" is an amazing hunter but if he doesn't manage to kill his target quickly enough, he can be overwhelmed fast. I don't know if crimson crown was a good choice as i fought 3 very defensive armies, and i think khorne mortal is probably one of the most aggressive army in the game. Maybe i'd have another point of view if i'd played BCR or ID. So i think i'll try him again with a more aggressive artefact or the torc.
Slaughterborn was good against OBR, but useless against Tzeench or Nurgle as they don't have rend. But i still have the feeling that in can be really usefull in a lot of match-ups.

I think i'll play this list again as it was really fun and i had the outsider effect against 2 top tier armies. Anyway the whole day was great, and my adversaries were all really nice people with beautifully painted armies and great lists. What advices could you give me ?

Looking forward for next tournament !

• Like 4