AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 minutes ago, Lord Graves said:

Found the rules and a picture of the model. Can't find the model on GW's website. the 4" move is really rough though. Most of the dogos move at 8". How to I protect him? How do I make sure he gets to where he needs to support the dogos? Can I have more than one in a list?

Again, thank you so much! :D

You always run with him, 16" is alot and if you only have flesh hounds and karanak you have no one to put a command trait and artefact on. He came in a start collecting but i think there still are some boxes with him and a mighty lord of khorne out in local game shops. Otherwise i recommend to look at second hand market.

Edited by itgnightraven
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Graves said:

Found the rules and a picture of the model. Can't find the model on GW's website. the 4" move is really rough though. Most of the dogos move at 8". How to I protect him? How do I make sure he gets to where he needs to support the dogos? Can I have more than one in a list?

Again, thank you so much! :D

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Khorne-Bloodbound-Goreblade-Warband-2018

he is also in this kit but this is not of interest to you if you only go flesh hounds

• Like 1

Just now, itgnightraven said:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Khorne-Bloodbound-Goreblade-Warband-2018

he is also in this kit but this is not of interest to you if you only go flesh hounds

Will do! Ohhh man Korghos will totally fit in since he has the chained flesh hound. I also found another unit I will want to get eventually, Khorne Bloodbound Magore's Feinds. I'll be buying that box for sure! :D Would there be a way for me to also use Korghos in my list?

2 minutes ago, Lord Graves said:

Will do! Ohhh man Korghos will totally fit in since he has the chained flesh hound. I also found another unit I will want to get eventually, Khorne Bloodbound Magore's Feinds. I'll be buying that box for sure! :D Would there be a way for me to also use Korghos in my list?

Khorgos is pretty self sustaining, and he can also be fielded as an unnamned character, mighty lord of khorne so he can take artefacts and command traits. Go for the rule of cool to begin with and read up on slaughterhosts and battalions on 1d4chan until you get the book

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, itgnightraven said:

Khorgos is pretty self sustaining, and he can also be fielded as an unnamned character, mighty lord of khorne so he can take artefacts and command traits. Go for the rule of cool to begin with and read up on slaughterhosts and battalions on 1d4chan until you get the book

rgr that! I'll be looking into that now! :D  Thank you so much! 

K, so after looking at things. I want to field three characters: Mighty Lord of Khorne, Bloodsecrator and Karanak.  The rest of the army will be Flesh Hounds for the time being but I do plan on adding Khorne Bloodbound Magore's Feinds eventually. Also, I really like the Bloodlords Slaughterhost. It allows me to heal my Flesh Hounds, gives my lord an extra 4" to his move so he can keep up with the hounds, makes sure that my lord will fight first to hopefully get that reality rip off on my opponents characters, and gives me a passive bonus against monsters and heroes which I read monster armies can sometimes be difficult to deal with because of the low blood tithe count. This is looking like it will be fun! :D Going to be pretty rare that an opponent gets a spell off against this army as well. 

Good times are coming.

Edited by Lord Graves
Adding info to the post.

So maybe you guys can help me with something. I have a pretty wide collection of Khorne. I am looking to create a list, as competitive as it can be, around one unit. Bloodreavers. I know this isn’t optimal. But I painted 120 of these freaks and I intend to use them. I actually think they could be a headache in groups of 40 as they start with bravery 5, plus 1 for banner, plus the size of unit. What do you guys think about where to go from here.

1 hour ago, KhorgusCool said:

So maybe you guys can help me with something. I have a pretty wide collection of Khorne. I am looking to create a list, as competitive as it can be, around one unit. Bloodreavers. I know this isn’t optimal. But I painted 120 of these freaks and I intend to use them. I actually think they could be a headache in groups of 40 as they start with bravery 5, plus 1 for banner, plus the size of unit. What do you guys think about where to go from here.

I'm at CanCon right now and just saw an Archaon + Furythirster + Dark Feast Reavers list absolutely stomp a Gordrakk Big Waagh list in the upper tables. It only had 50 Reavers though. I know it's said a lot, but I reckon you're better off with small units due to their base size and Blood Tithe generation. Dark Feast allows quite a few in one deployment drop. Just my two cents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I need a bit of help completing a list if any of you ladies and gents would help. The core is what i own, 2x SC Daemons boxes. Haven't settled on a Slaughterhost yet, or decided who i want to be General and what artefact load-out to go. I originally wanted to put Valkyia in there, but went with Karanak instead because i was worried about the lack of Locus being handed out.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne - Slaughterhost: ?

LEADERS

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210) - Axe

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (300)

Karanak (140)

Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

UNITS

6 x Bloodcrushers (240)

20 x Bloodletters (220) - Gore Drenched Icon

5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

1 x Skull Cannons (130)

1 x Skull Cannons (130)

BATTALIONS

Blood Hunt (120)

TOTAL: 1790/2000

Another Priest and a couple of Judgements (or Judgement and extra command point)? Another Priest and bump the Letters to 30? A different hero, Secreator or Valkyia still? Drop Karanak for another Thirster (my wallet would prefer not to though, but multiple thirsters looks the way to go). Some Wrathmongers? A second DP?

How do people prefer to run the Daemon Prince?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

10 hours ago, KhorgusCool said:

I think if I were going to write that list I'd run MSU for the majority of units and then keep one or two large units in the back field to buff. I'd also look into bringing an exalted deathbringer for his command ability. After that definitely start with dark feast and work from there. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

I need a bit of help completing a list if any of you ladies and gents would help. The core is what i own, 2x SC Daemons boxes. Haven't settled on a Slaughterhost yet, or decided who i want to be General and what artefact load-out to go. I originally wanted to put Valkyia in there, but went with Karanak instead because i was worried about the lack of Locus being handed out.

Hide contents

Allegiance: Khorne - Slaughterhost: ?

LEADERS

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210) - Axe

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (300)

Karanak (140)

Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

UNITS

6 x Bloodcrushers (240)

20 x Bloodletters (220) - Gore Drenched Icon

5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

1 x Skull Cannons (130)

1 x Skull Cannons (130)

BATTALIONS

Blood Hunt (120)

TOTAL: 1790/2000

Another Priest and a couple of Judgements (or Judgement and extra command point)? Another Priest and bump the Letters to 30? A different hero, Secreator or Valkyia still? Drop Karanak for another Thirster (my wallet would prefer not to though, but multiple thirsters looks the way to go). Some Wrathmongers? A second DP?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2priests and a bloodsecrator are typically a good core to your army. Then you can take killing frenzy and bronzed flesh. The bloodletters need the bloodsecrator to be viable. 

If im running bloodletters I always include a unit of wrathmongers incase the bloodsecrator goes down but that’s just my preference.

Use Reapers of vengeance as the slaughterhost for double attacks with leave none alive. Use most of your command points on this. 

With the core army you have a good addition would be a bloodletter hero, then you can take a Murderhost battalion. Make the WoKB your general and give him the artefact for two unbinds at -2 rend and the vanilla 8 fluff on the first unbind. This will free you up to use your second artefact on a crimson crown for the daemon prince. Just spam his command ability for free for the whole game.

Edit. I just noticed the battalion. Just to keep it easy it’s probably best to stick with that although a Murderhost would be slightly more beneficial.

I wouldn’t worry about Valkia, she’s only good on the charge. There’s probably an argument that she’s best in a list with a bloodstoker. 

If you’re looking for another bloodthirster, Skarbrand is a great option. He can’t receive and doesn’t require an artefact.  With the daemon prince already included in the list you have one model that demands an artefact so you could easily add Skarbrand without the need of a second battalion. Plus the fact that he’s the biggest hitter in the game.

Edited by Troll.exe
Updated.

10 hours ago, Troll.exe said:

2priests and a bloodsecrator are typically a good core to your army. Then you can take killing frenzy and bronzed flesh. The bloodletters need the bloodsecrator to be viable. 

If im running bloodletters I always include a unit of wrathmongers incase the bloodsecrator goes down but that’s just my preference.

Use Reapers of vengeance as the slaughterhost for double attacks with leave none alive. Use most of your command points on this. 

With the core army you have a good addition would be a bloodletter hero, then you can take a Murderhost battalion. Make the WoKB your general and give him the artefact for two unbinds at -2 rend and the vanilla 8 fluff on the first unbind. This will free you up to use your second artefact on a crimson crown for the daemon prince. Just spam his command ability for free for the whole game.

Edit. I just noticed the battalion. Just to keep it easy it’s probably best to stick with that although a Murderhost would be slightly more beneficial.

I wouldn’t worry about Valkia, she’s only good on the charge. There’s probably an argument that she’s best in a list with a bloodstoker. 

If you’re looking for another bloodthirster, Skarbrand is a great option. He can’t receive and doesn’t require an artefact.  With the daemon prince already included in the list you have one model that demands an artefact so you could easily add Skarbrand without the need of a second battalion. Plus the fact that he’s the biggest hitter in the game.

Thanks very much for this! Changing battalion is no problem, i could drop Karanak for a Letter hero because i don't have him as yet. Valkia i liked the look of for her Command ability more than anything but it sounds like all the CP should be being spent elsewhere.

Also thinking of doing something drastic and selling / returning the SC's i have and going mostly mortals instead. But i really like the idea of running a couple of Skull Cannons.

Whats the consensus on the Bloodmad Warband incidentally?

18 hours ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

Thanks very much for this! Changing battalion is no problem, i could drop Karanak for a Letter hero because i don't have him as yet. Valkia i liked the look of for her Command ability more than anything but it sounds like all the CP should be being spent elsewhere.

Also thinking of doing something drastic and selling / returning the SC's i have and going mostly mortals instead. But i really like the idea of running a couple of Skull Cannons.

Just running some numbers, you’d have to take the Bloodmaster rather then Skulltaker, which should be fine with the bloodletters in there. Typically Skulltaker is a better choice though. Then you could swap to a Murderhost and pick up a bloodsecrator and an extra priest. 1990 points and a pretty solid list with a reasonable number of drops still.

Mortals have a bit more staying power but daemons do better damage. Depends what you want out of the army. If you want to be competitive Daemons lists with Tyrants and Reapers of Vengeance is a good place to start. It’s not too difficult to play generally. If you want to be competitive with Mortals it’s definitely more difficult but can be just as good. Mortal lists run a goretide slaughterhost. Gore pilgrims, bloodmad warband, slaughterborn and dark feast are all good options for battalions. The run and charge command ability in a goretide works well with the bloodmad warband. Make sure you take a bloodstoker too. A Daemon Prince as your general works well in a goretide.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:34 PM, ArmyOfGrodd said:

I'm not sure there is much of any consensus apart from it being one of our better battalions due to being unreliant on range to a fragile Hero (like Bloodforged, Skulltake and Dark Feast). I personally think it needs Goretide, 1x10 Skullreapers and Thermalrider Cloak on the Secrator to be optimal. Hew the Foe on an Aspiring Deathbringer is not ideal but, hell, he can chew hordes and force them to spend CPs to prevent an aggravated battleshock because of his warscroll. I don't think you want to spend 600pts on Blood Warriors though. Maybe 3x5 instead, or 1x10 and 2x5. Reapers with rerolls are the star of that particular show for sure...

On 1/26/2020 at 12:14 AM, ArmyOfGrodd said:

With the Crimson Crown. He has the best command in our whole roster IMO. He loves to be a Goretide general (because of Hew the Foe and his double weapon profile) but his command is so good that I think it's worth including him in an army just for that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smooth criminal said:

Conrats! What's your thoughts on competitive Khorne?

I think if you are aiming for top tables you need to run a reapers archaeon list and hope for good match ups. I played mostly mortals all season to try to force their competitiveness out and it was always an uphill battle. In order to win unfavorable match ups I’d have to outplay my opponent hard on objectives with zoning, retreats and tricks. If my opponent was good it was almost impossible sometimes.

Blood tithe needs an entire rework to catch up to the meta, much like the Nurgle wheel. It is good enough for archaeon reaper lists though. 

Khorne mortals cannot touch obr in a competitive tournament. slaanesh is hard, but can still pull an upset. I had a lot of trouble with new orruk warclans as well.  Everything else I was confident I was on equal footing. Some Cities lists were rough. 

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, but the only way to go is Archaeon reapers if you’re aiming for the top. This means big tournaments like Nova, Adepticon and LVO. 

My itc score for the season was already high enough to secure the Khorne top player from previous scores and tournaments, so I brought an entire mortal list to LVO and it was brutal. If you go Goretide mono mortals I’d say you should expect 2-3 or 3-2 if you have good match ups. 

Khorne mortals has no good consistent damage. When you crash into a 40 block of mortek guard you’re gonna have a bad time with their 3 up save that rerolls, followed by a 5 up save, if you manage to kill it after that their harvester will respawn it with a 4+.  Same with orruk ardboys, great tanks.

Khorne mortals need warscroll adjustments and buffs, not much but some. 

Chaos Lord on Karadrak was a great hidden cannon for me and mvp. If you make him your general in Goretide you can have his hex axe at 5/3/3/-3/3 with a runeblade artifact, on top of all his sword and good mount profiles.

Blood tithe should work like waagh points where it starts building passive army wide buffs, but you can burn some to summon. Something similar like that would be cool.

Please keep in mind that this analysis is for tournament meta list opponents. Vs local and small tournaments Khorne is middle of the pack and plays fine with a good player. Reapers (archaeon + thirsters)  lists are far and away the best choice if you’re chasing score. 

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Sneeto said:

Chaos Lord on Karadrak was a great hidden cannon for me and mvp. If you make him your general in Goretide you can have his hex axe at 5/3/3/-3/3 with a runeblade artifact, on top of all his sword and good mount profiles.

I just ran a Khorne mortals list this weekend with the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak as my General in Goretide with the runeblade artifact and I can definitely confirm that he can absolutely lay waste to things. At one point he was in range of my Bloodsecrator, he was Whipped to Fury and had Killing Frenzy as well.

39 minutes ago, Corpsefire666 said:

Are the warscroll cards for Blades of Khorne still usable/current? Thinking about picking the pack up from my FLGS. 

Majority yes. Few changes, but nothing major only one I can think of off the top of my head is Wrathmongers buff changed to only melee weapons. 

I agree that Blood Tithe needs an update.  I am especially frustrated that all our effects empty out the pool, while I can't think of any other pool that has a similar mechanic.

It may not be a perfect fix, but it would go a long way to just say we can keep leftover points, even if we were restricted to a single effect per Hero Phase (or a single summon per move phase).

IME, I regularly go from 1, maybe 2, Blood Tithe straight up to 5 or 6.  So while I'm considering those important 3 and 4 point spends, the blood continues to flow, and then I'm suddenly faced with either "losing" Blood Tithe or holding out for a big effect or a big summon.

My intuition tells me that since our blood tithe is so marginal we don't pay a points premium for it.

I don't know if that's actually true, but I don't like what happened to Slaves to Darkness. There units got  slight boost and their points went through the roof. I'd hate for something like that to happen to Khorne.