AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Well, at 1.2k points a model you don't have the space to pretend anything else will do work so the list would be:

1x vorgaroth

1x bloodstoker, need to check if vorgaroth fits into 8", otherwise make this a priest with blood sacrifice

1x warshrine, bronze flesh

1x bloosecrator

3x20 bloodreavers

Send Vorgaroth turn 1 into biggest thing you can reach and hope to kill as much as you can because on turn 2 all his buff will fall off. Use CPs to give him reroll 1s on save.

Shrine is important, it gives him reroll hit and 6+ negate.

Bloodreavers are for objective grabs, but they also can kill small stuff with bloosecrator bubble buff.

Don't need battalion since no need for second artifact or CP. You can take Dark feast if you want lower drops and drop bloodsecrator (he isn't important because Vorgaroth already has tons of attacks and priest will buff reaver attacks).

Slaughterhost isn't important, I'd take vanilla with reroll charge trait and talisman of burning blood.

For those of you that use Bloodcrushers/Skullcrushers consistently, how are you deploying/using them? Are you using them as a second wave to ensure that you have the unit not lose any models to maximize the mortal wounds on the charge? Or are you using them as a first wave to shove straight in immediately and to let the rest of the army catch up to the unit? I'm having issues using either unit and I feel it might be because I'm too hesitant on getting them into combat too early, so I'm curious on how others are using these units.

9 hours ago, AresX8 said:

For those of you that use Bloodcrushers/Skullcrushers consistently, how are you deploying/using them? Are you using them as a second wave to ensure that you have the unit not lose any models to maximize the mortal wounds on the charge? Or are you using them as a first wave to shove straight in immediately and to let the rest of the army catch up to the unit? I'm having issues using either unit and I feel it might be because I'm too hesitant on getting them into combat too early, so I'm curious on how others are using these units.

They’ve only worked for me once. I wiped them and charged into 2+ reroll fails sequitors first wave. Did 10 mortals on the charge then maybe 3 damage into some evocators behind. Almost lost the lot on the retaliation but they opened a hole for skarbrand and tied up the middle so I could charge in on the following turn. Every other time I’ve sent them in later on Ive never gotten anything decent off the charge. Everything’s all broken up and disjointed. 

2 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Just got a Chaos lord on manticore; how are people running him? I was thinking with hew the foe, daemon sword and gorecleaver on the lance for those 7 damage -2 rend on the charge. But is it a glass cannon build and am I missing a trick 

I used him recently in a tournament while his extended pile in caught some people off guard he really was lacklustre with the same setup (hew, sword of judgement, Lance) I'll run him with friends still so hopefully he will do better for you love the model.

2 minutes ago, Blisterfeet said:

I used him recently in a tournament while his extended pile in caught some people off guard he really was lacklustre with the same setup (hew, sword of judgement, Lance) I'll run him with friends still so hopefully he will do better for you love the model.

Yeah I do like the model, I bought him to fill out the army as I have a lot of Khorne so there is a bit of getting him for fun.

He does seem like a glass cannon with that build. I am wondering about the shield with flesh for the 2+ save. Could be a great rock. Not built the rider yet so options are open 😀

So guys it's blood and glory list deciding time. Below are 2 lists, these are the models I own and have painted. I'll place a list of other units available to add. I have 0 dollar dollar so now more improving can be done for now.

List one

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Skarbrand (380)
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater
- Artefact: Amberglaive
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
Gore Pilgrims (140)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118

All fighting, knights purely for screen clear first turn. Have 2x5 dogs summon. BF IR is going game and fighting twice. Mortals are in a super buff ball. One priest dedicated to healing BF.

List 2

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Ghur
Skarbrand (380)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (300)
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
Gore Pilgrims (140)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118

Nope I don't own two BFs but I can change the arms 🤣 this list is a bit more anti magic and more finesse to play I think (not saying I have the finesse).

Spare models

Spoiler

Only spares I have are allies really or fringe units and would replace the Chaos knights?

15 Chaos warriors

1 Khorgarth

1 Gorebeast Chariot

2 Pusgoyle Blightlords

5 Pusgoyle Blightkings

Any feedback or switches appreciated and if you do have a preference or change a reason why would be awesome.

They are basically same list. 2 thirsters+gore pilgrims chaff.

I like first list more because Rage thirster in this configuration is very strong.

Swapping knights+cp for blightlords can be a consideration. Swapping heal priest+5 warriors for 10 chaos warriors can be a consideration. I don't think any of this affects list in a meaningful way though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

They are basically same list. 2 thirsters+gore pilgrims chaff.

I like first list more because Rage thirster in this configuration is very strong.

Swapping knights+cp for blightlords can be a consideration. Swapping heal priest+5 warriors for 10 chaos warriors can be a consideration. I don't think any of this affects list in a meaningful way though.

Thanks Smooth your observations are right the changes would be minor but I wanted to check as I value the dudes in this threads opinion.

I really wanted to go mortal heavy but I've run out of money and time with work to get skullreapers/wrathmongers, more reaver's etc done in time.

On 10/24/2019 at 4:11 PM, AresX8 said:

I think bloodcrushers are just stock demon damage dealers. With CP ability to attack twice they have respectable damage. Since they are not very fast, cheap or tanky don't put them in first line. If we compare demons we'll have Skarbrand > Rage > Bloodcrushers as our damage dealers of choice. Trying to set up a 6+ dude charge is a trap I think, if it happens it happens, but don't bother much about it.

I think skullcrushers are the tanky unit, their damage is quite low for their cost even with charge bonus. Preferably use them as first line with a +1 save priest and reroll 1s for CP. You need to have something behind them like a thirster if opponent commits some valuable damage dealer to get rid of them.

Considering the Skullcrushers:

When I fielded them First, I thought, I would have to Set up units of 6 for a Charge to burst in mortal wounds. However, this worked out rarely, if ever. Their 8" movement and the enemy knowing what you are about to do just ruins all the effort. 

Where they really shine at is holding objectives. They won me games by simply not dying. In the meta I play in, we hold objectives with more wounds, not more models. Thus, having a unit of 6 sitting on an objective is truly a threat to your enemy's Plans. He just cannot score any points because of the number of wounds and the large footprint. One unit of 6 once fended off a Verminlord, a unit of Clanrats and a Hellpit Abomination for three turns, which won me the game, because my other crusher units just wiped his starting zone. 

Hi all,

over the past 1 to 2 years I became more of a 40k player, though I never really lost interest in AoS. Actually I´m starting to get some Khorne Daemons for 40k and because there will start a small AoS league in my LGS I thought that I could try and get some AoS games in.

The league will be 1000 points to 1250 points due to giving newbies an easier start.

The models I own right now are

20 Bloddletters

10 Flesh Hounds

Daemon Prince

Karanak

What models do you recommend to get a good starter army? Modelwise I like Skullreapers, Blood Reavers and Khorgoraths.

Or should I go the "as much Bloodthirsters as possible accompanied by Flesh Hounds" route?

Any advice here?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Hannibal

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

over the past 1 to 2 years I became more of a 40k player, though I never really lost interest in AoS. Actually I´m starting to get some Khorne Daemons for 40k and because there will start a small AoS league in my LGS I thought that I could try and get some AoS games in.

The league will be 1000 points to 1250 points due to giving newbies an easier start.

The models I own right now are

20 Bloddletters

10 Flesh Hounds

Daemon Prince

Karanak

What models do you recommend to get a good starter army? Modelwise I like Skullreapers, Blood Reavers and Khorgoraths.

Or should I go the "as much Bloodthirsters as possible accompanied by Flesh Hounds" route?

Any advice here?

Thanks in advance.

If going daemon then you will want a bloodthirster. All are good but have distinct roles

rage thirster deals a bucket of explosive damage

fury thirster allows daemon u it’s to pile in from 6 inches - very powerful

wrath thirster is a key anti magic option

skarbrand is a beast

any will help but consider how you like to play.

skulltaker is great in murderhost

herald is best being summoned

you will also need to consider a blood secrator and priest as they are so useful and powerful

othrtwise it’s bloodletters  or flesh hounds

3 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Any advice here?

Your models are pretty good for low points. You should get a secrator or mongers as your first thing to buff the letters.

Generally, what I consider must haves in a long run are:

Rage thirster, Skabrand - these dudes are out terrorgheists in terms of relevance. You need to have at least one in 2k list. The good part is that you can fit up to 2-3 on top of almost any battalion we have.

bloodsecrator, mongers, 2 priests+altar - these guys buff everyone. You always want a +hit priest if you play rage thirster. You always want a +1 attack buff in a list. Mortals will want to play more priests, because they otherwise lack unbinds/dispells.

bloodstoker - this guy buffs mortal very well, must have if you go mortal route.

5xdogs - cheapest summon.

Now after that you have a decent amount of room to not get forced into thirsters+dogs spam.

Don't forget that mortals are pretty slow, so at least 2 units of reavers or something that can run 13"+ is mandatory for turn 1 objective grabs.

I'd recommend you checking out a skulltake battalion to build 1.5k-2k list around based on your preferred models. Don't bother with battalions before that point size.

Edited by Smooth criminal

Battle report, 3way 2k Khorne, Nighthaunt and SCE

Nighthaunt took 2x20 chainrasps with reroll hits battalion, 30grimgasts, kurdoss, 6spirit hosts and supporting heroes.

SCE was 4xballista with lord ordinator and knight Azyros, sequitors and evocators with staunch defender.

I ran min gore pilgrims and blood host battalions, mainly for the 3rd artefact and the command points. Reapers of vengeance. 

2x20 bloodletters, BoIR with a ragged cloak, ethereal amulet blood secrator, wrathmongers and skullreapers. 5 hounds to round out the blood host and the blood warriors used as screens. Reavers wrapped around the alter for look out sir, with the bloodsecrator on top in cover. Slaughterpriest on the far side of the alter from the ballistas out of sight. 

We used a custom map with 3 objects on the edge of the territories setting up 9” back. I positioned the hounds, skullreapers and BoIR on the SCE front and 20 bloodletters, wrathmongers and blood warriors on the Nighthaunt side. 20 bloodletters in reserve to go wherever I needed them.

SCE set up right on the 9” and I was able to charge the BoIR in for a double attack immediately. No 6s, did almost nothing and took 8 damage in retaliation. Nighthaunt advanced but failed some charges and I managed to fish for a couple of 6s in their combat phase with the BoIR, dropping 36 mortals plus some change on SCE before he went down. SCE shot the hounds and skullreapers off the board in his turn.

Round 2 SCE went first and shoot poorly at Nighthaunt. My army was fairly damaged at this point and, expecting to be tabled shortly,  I sent in everything on the Nighthaunt wing. Ran the screen to the side and ran the wrathmongers up in a line beside the bloodletters. Made the charge with the bloodletters with bronzed flesh and killing frenzy and double attacked with them wholly within the wrathmongers bubble. First attack took out 20 chainrasps and the second attack took out the support heroes. This took me up to 6 bloodtithe and effectively  won the game for Khorne. At the start of Nighthaunts hero phase I used Relentless Fury which forced Nighthaunt to engage SCE with fully buffed grimghasts rather then charge into my bloodletters.

Round 3 was primarily Nighthaunt vs SCE while Relentless Fury was still in effect. I ran the 20 bloodletters in reserve up on the SCE side and ran the wrathmongers in the same direction ready for round 4. SCE was crippled. 

Round 4 I setup a defensive position on the Nighthaunt side over the objective with the blood warrior screen back in place. Then managed to get the bloodletters on the SCE side wholly within the wrathmongers and took out a unit of sequitors and evocators with another huge attack. The victory points here took me too far ahead and the game was called at the end of the round.

MVP for me was easily the bloodletters. With a unit of 20 it’s very achievable to get them wholly within the wrathmongers if you run them up in a line perpendicular to the enemy. Gore pilgrims makes life a bit easier only really having to worry about the wrathmongers.

The other standout was definitely Relentless fury and I’ll be looking to use this every game if I can get the tithe quick enough. Ridiculously powerful for only 6 bloodtithe.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 2:30 AM, AresX8 said:

@Troll.exe Did you space out the Wrathmongers at max coherency? I hadn't thought about stringing them out in a straight line perpendicular, it feels strange too since it's a weird congo line lol.

No I didn’t, that’ll be a nice little Improvement for next time 👌 

Yea that’s exactly what it looked like lol. They danced their way all around the board. You’re effectively treating the first model as a hero and if you take any damage you just drop the back models off. I was surprised I managed to get 20 bloodletters wholly within twice in the game on two different objectives. 

Hey guys, I should be taking part in my first tournament in January. What do you think of this list? 

- Mortal Realm: Ghur

LEADERS
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (300)
- General
- Command Trait : Mage Eater 
- Artefact : Skullshard Mantle
Skarbrand (380)
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
- Artefact : Amberglaive
Bloodsecrator (120) 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Blood Sacrifice

UNITS
30 x Bloodletters (300)
- Gore Drenched Icon
    ⁃    Blood soaked Banner
    ⁃    Hornblower 
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

BATTALIONS
Tyrants of Blood (140)

JUDGEMENTS 
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Bleeding Icon (40)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 
WOUNDS: 109
LEADERS: 6/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 3/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400

Copy pasting from my channel's latest Facebook post:

I'm back to testing out Mortals, and last night I took this spin out for a spin against Grand Host of Nagash!

His list (from memory, don't remember what his last 40 points...maybe another endless spell? He didn't cast any of them during the game though):

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders
Wight King with Black Axe (120)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar
- Artefact: Balefire Lantern
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Mannfred Mortarch of Night (380)
- Lore of the Dead: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Nightmare
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference

Battleline
10 x Dire Wolves (140)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
30 x Grave Guard (360)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Suffocating Gravetide (20)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

My List:

- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Daemon Prince of Khorne (160)
- General
- Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Aspiring Deathbringer (80)
- Goreaxe and Skullhammer

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)
- Blood Blessing: Brazen Fury

Battalions
Bloodmad Warband (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2

Notice how the Daemon Prince has popped up in here? He's definitely part of the experiment here, and man am I pleased with what he does!

There's also a few things other modules in here, with my favorite being the SUPER FIRE AND FORGET SLEDGEHAMMER that is 20 Meatripper Axe Bloodreavers.

With this battalion and wholly within 16" of the Thermalrider Cloak Bloodsecrator, each Bloodreaver is putting out 4 attacks, re-rolling everything, thanks to the Warshrine warscroll prayer and being whipped by the Bloodstoker.

I had them deal 45 WOUNDS to a blob of 40 Skeleton Warriors at the start of the game. See the attached pic. I demonstrated how you can have "2nd rank" fighting capabilities for 32mm models which requires finesse placement in my using the Murderhost video, but the second pic is a quick example of the type of placement required.

The other things I've learned from this game are:

- The Daemon Prince is absolutely staying. He does exactly what I expected he would and he does so much damage it's incredible. His Malefic Talon being a flat 3 damage is so scary to characters that it's incredible.

- Knowing how to use your Blood Tithe is INCREDIBLY crucial. Misusing Blood Tithe cost me the game, see below:

At the top of 3, the option for Brass Skull Meteor was actually here. I could have used it to finish off his Wight King that was behind the Grave Guard, he was on 1 after being Blood Boiled. The Wight King was his General who he needs on the table in order to bring back his skeleton mob.

Instead of using the Meteor, I opted to have the Skullreapers fight in his hero phase...but there was only 2 left, and they were only doing 8 attacks. It wasn't worth it. If I used the Meteor, that would have most likely killed his Wight King, shut down a lot of the offensive output of the Grave Guard, remove their Deathless save, and prevent him from bringing back the 40 man Skeleton Warrior blob (This is my 3rd game against Legions of Nagash, so the importance of their Heroes hasn't completely sunk in yet). This is why we play practice games! 1f642.png:) I also have some script rewriting to do on the Blood Tithe table video after learning this about the Meteor.

- I'm normally not too sure what Blood Blessing to give the Warshrine, but for this game I opted to test out Brazen Fury as in the past I've had issues with Bravery before. Putting this on the SUPER FIRE AND FORGET SLEDGEHAMMER brought back memories of the previous book's Bloodreavers. It also came into play to hold down the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon with Gorefist Blood Warriors. This Blood Blessing is staying!

75242075_2505647776186649_8661698543418867712_o.jpg

75521922_2505648132853280_8515122107154169856_n.png

Magnetizing is really the best option. If you want to have a versatile and robust and yet affordable magnet back, skip magnaracks and buy ikea: Kvissle is beside Detolf a product that ikea seems to sell like 70% of time to hobbyists:

Spoiler

shopping.png.d5bc522e9e48212724727fd928b59a50.png

Below some pictures of how people utilize them for miniature transport. one should easily fit 1-2 bloodthirsters. Also you can put models on the walls and back as anything about this bad boy is magnetic :)

Spoiler

index.jpg.0b85a690d633e186b04945b19558e5a1.jpg

ejdxzw91ghd31.jpg.0524836a624e1386fe9c25fdc14b9273.jpgcjjg70sio8w21.jpg.acff516f2d8597c4436c9c7981bf5886.jpg

Also, here is one in video format:

Edit:
Bags are usualy bought on amazon as there are fitting ones for sewing machines. just google a bit. Thoose are also super for just storing miniatures they can fit a huge number of models on small space. I currently use one for storage and was able to reduce the ammount of space necessary drasticaly. Quite nice if your wife is not so happy about plastic miniatures in boxes everywhere

Edited by Charleston
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

I`m just wondering, since I find it hard to decide on a list, what would a competitive list look like nowadays ?

I would like to focus on mortals, but would/can also bring some bloodthirster.

What would a solid mortals list with bloodthirster look like ?

My thoughts are: 2 Bloodthirster, 2 priests, 1 bloodsecrator, minimum battleline fore gore pilgrim (2x10 reaver + 1x5 warriors), 10 skullreaper ?

After heroes and Battleline I really struggle to find some good combos or units in general, that make sense in that list.

Thanks guys