AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

9 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I had the fortune of playing against Matt in my second game and it was awesome to see his mastery of the game and the tools available to khorne first hand

I got to see him play at CanCon this year. Seems like a great guy. Cheers for the tourney report. Well done.

• Thanks 1

@AresX8 100% correct mate. Blood Host was purely for a 2 drop army as the reroll charges was redundant for all but the Bloodthirsters themselves. However that being said in one game I did reroll the insensate rage thirster's charge from a 6 into an 11 which got him where I needed him before he tore through around 20 Iron Jaw Brutes! Seeing that go off alone made the battalion worth it 🙂

I used Reapers of Vengeance slaughterhost as for me its the most competitive option when running thirsters. With the random damage output you really want them having 2 bites at it.  

• Like 1

Lists for the record https://drive.google.com/file/d/12vg4URL6E-M97M6EGw1K1-OwYiiiMdzX/view?fbclid=IwAR1m7a2ZhV2iY1rnpO9jIm_bQHALL4g2vlWEe4b2sBVM_G4zM5p-syyNFa0

So competitive khorne is all pretty much 3 thirster+chaff. Which I personally consider a trap, but whatever, it works.

There seems to be a consensus on Skarbrand+IR amberglaive +UF crimson crown setup. Also a consensus on dogs as the filler. If not dogs then it's either pilgrims or BoC.

Hexgorgers are the judgement of choice. Killing frenzy is the prayer of choice.

No consesus on skarr and mongers, though  they are used.

• Like 1

@Smooth criminal More or less yes,  competitive Khorne is with at least 3 thirsters. 6" pile in is incredibly powerful and gives daemons a huge amount of flexibility so Crimson Crown on Unfettered Fury is a must have. Dogs are an amazing unit for the versatility, cost and fulfilling battleline.  

That being said the all mortal list with dual shrines won best chaos and was second only to Matt Campbell in terms of Khorne so that is definitely a viable competitive build as well.

From a competitive perspective the main function of judgements is movement blocking with any damage caused a bonus. Therefore the skulls have to be the judgement of choice for the reliability of casting.  

Personally I only acquired a 3rd Thirster leading up to the tournament so I was always going to give it a whirl but there are definitely alternate builds out there. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

I can see mortal horde build being a thing. Secrator+bloodstoker+shrine quadruples the effectiveness of a weak horde unit, it's only a matter of willing to asemble 3x40 marauders.

Although they don't get in on battalions, I think I prefer a block of 40 Marauders to partner with a Brazen Fury Warshrine these days. They've got a smaller base, they buff themselves (plus I've got some sweet Frostgrave plastic barbarians for them too, so I'm probably a bit biased in that respect). It's certainly not like the good days though, with Secrator battleshock immunity and no wholly within. 😞

1 hour ago, Smooth criminal said:

I can see mortal horde build being a thing. Secrator+bloodstoker+shrine quadruples the effectiveness of a weak horde unit, it's only a matter of willing to asemble 3x40 marauders.

This is what I'm going to take at B&G.

Running screened Skar, mortals in MSU blocks, shrine+brazen+killing frenzy in GP, with dog summons. This hopefully will make a durable objective fighting army with a bit of monster smashing punch.

Now I wouldn't get your hopes up because while the plane might look impressive the pilot just got his licence if you catch my drift 😆

Mauraders having been getting a bit of a spotlight recently. Nurgle been running them, Khorne and a American GT was won with 40 as a order mercenary group. 

I've had great fun running 40 marauders + blood forged for ages. Even without the immunity to battleshock, whipping them blessing them and tossing them onto an objective is quite tricky to shift! 

I'm trying to get a list I like with brass despoilers to work atm, as I'd like to take it to the GT in Nottingham in Jan. 

I currently have 100pts spare, should I take a Slaughterpriest with killing frenzy? Or farm cps and blood tithe off of a unit of gor? 

Allegiance : Khorne

- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Doombull of Khorne (120)
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle
Bloodsecrator (120)
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
Grashrak Fellhoof (140)
- Allies
10 x Gors of Khorne (70)
10 x Gors of Khorne (70)
10 x Gors of Khorne (70)
10 x Bestigors of Khorne (120)
10 x Bestigors of Khorne (120)
6 x Bullgors of Khorne (320)
4 x Tuskgor Chariots of Khorne (200)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Grashrak's Despoilers (0)
5 x Centigors (80)
Brass Despoilers (190)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 161

Is what I've got so far. Very msu, hopefully very fast with the beast grave warband in there. I doubt I'll get his spell off, but a couple of mortal wounds and an extra +1 to hit seems cool. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 12:07 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

That being said the all mortal list with dual shrines won best chaos and was second only to Matt Campbell in terms of Khorne so that is definitely a viable competitive build as well.

Oh, I am a derp. I saw 2 shrines and thought they brought 2 altar of skulls.

Edited by 123lac

Hey blood crazed psychos and skull taking murderers, I have a dumb question because I’m sort of new to Sigmar. While I’m primarily an Order player, I do have the swish bang Archaon model and was wandering if he’d take on the Slaughterhost Keyword and get to reap the benefits. It says all dudes with the KHORNE Keyword get to be part of it, but I have a feeling that it’s stated named characters like him can’t join these kinds of things. I wanted to ask anyway though.

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

Wow, that seems bonkers good, Archaon attacking twice in the Reapers of Vengeance! 

Yea it’s pretty good. Remember he’s got both mortal and daemon keywords too. So you can wipe him in fury with a bloodstoker for reroll wounds and he get reroll hits of 1 vanilla in khorne armies from locus of fury. Reapers+bloodstoker+locus makes for a deadly combination for very little effort, just have to keep that bloodstoker close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Yeah, add a Secrator to that and he’s laughing... It feels a little dirty, but I’m tempted >8D

Archaon + reapers + 'secrator+ bloodstoker is cool. Piling in 6" with the bloodthirster of unfettered fury command ability twice is amazing as well! 

• Like 1

I'm about to play my first game in a local 1250 point meeting engagement league (3 games followed by 3 more using pitched battle rules).

Tossing up between 2 lists but in both cases the focus is on speed (first game is Death Pass). My opponent is Flesh Eater Courts although apparently not a fan of terrorgheists so I'm expecting an Abhorrent with lots of flayers, ghouls and Courtiers.

List 1: Daemons (mostly)- idea is to build up some early blood tithe by sacrificing Riptooth and Magore's fiends for some hero phase movement once the thirsters get on the table. Holding the Insensate Rage back in the rearguard is risky but with +4" movement and reroll charges, not to mention a 6" pile in, I'm confident he will get involved enough. Also hoping for a bonus unit of dogs from Karanak but appreciate that will be tricky. 

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords

Spearhead
Slaughterpriest (100)
-
 Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
3 x Magore's Fiends (80)
1 x Riptooth (40)

Main Body
Karanak (140)
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (270)
-
 Artefact: Halo of Blood
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)

Rearguard
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
-
 General
- Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 1

List 2: Mortals (mostly)- simple idea for this list... lots of speed. Bloodstoker with spearhead to maximise his movement buffing, especially with the item choices. The priests will look to buff the spearhead knights at first, then buff the warriors to hold my objective or the skullreapers/knights again if I am pressing his objective. Bloodsecrator turns up late to help me defend the home objective before pushing onto the enemy objective. Not sold on this list yet but it has promise.

Allegiance: Khorne

Spearhead
Bloodstoker (80)
-
 General
- Trait: Violent Urgency
- Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Skullreapers (180)
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
-
 Chaos Glaives

Main Body
Slaughterpriest (100)
-
 Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
-
 Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
-
 Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
-
 Chaos Glaives

Rearguard
Bloodsecrator (120)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 1

Just to add to all the questions and army lists, I wanted to make people feel better about themselves with my list:

Reapers of Vengeance

Leaders

- Archaon

- Secrator

Battleline

- 10x Blood Warriors

- 10x Blood Warriors

- 20x Bloodletters

Other

- 10x Chaos Knights

- 3x Varanguard

Total Points: 1980/2000

• Like 1

13 hours ago, smartazjb0y said:

Any suggestions for a Meeting Engagements list? I currently have the old mortals SC (Slaughterpriest, warriors, Mighty Skullcrushers) and the StD Battleforce, and may pick up the current mortals SC. 

I'd suggest:

Goretide

Spearhead:

5xChaos knights

Main body:

Manticore lord, trait and artifact to make him killy

priest, bronze flesh

10x warriors - use CP to put these dudes on objective and buff them

5x Chaos knights

Rearguard:

Chariot

50pt for a CP

I heavily recommend having a unit or two of dogs to summon because you will have little other uses for BP.

11 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I'm about to play my first game in a local 1250 point meeting engagement league (3 games followed by 3 more using pitched battle rules).

Tossing up between 2 lists but in both cases the focus is on speed (first game is Death Pass). My opponent is Flesh Eater Courts although apparently not a fan of terrorgheists so I'm expecting an Abhorrent with lots of flayers, ghouls and Courtiers.

I don't like UF thirster without Reaper double fight and Rage thirster without getting him to 2+ hit. I also think that rearguard thirster will most often come too late to matter.

I like mortal list more, but I'd switch skullreapers to main body and switch places of stoker and 1 priest.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

I'd suggest:

Goretide

Spearhead:

5xChaos knights

Main body:

Manticore lord, trait and artifact to make him killy

priest, bronze flesh

10x warriors - use CP to put these dudes on objective and buff them

5x Chaos knights

Rearguard:

Chariot

50pt for a CP

I heavily recommend having a unit or two of dogs to summon because you will have little other uses for BP.

Thanks so much! Was thinking of getting Wrath and Rapture which does have some Flesh Hounds, but otherwise great list with everything I already have haha