AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

My most recent tournament list

LEADERS
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
- Artefact : Thronebreaker's Torc
Chaos Lord on Manticore (250) - General
- Blade & Lance
- Artefact : Gorecleaver Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Blood Sacrifice Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh Bloodsecrator (120)
UNITS
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist - 1 x Goreglaives 5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (360)
- Bloodglaives
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
BATTALIONS
Gore Pilgrims (140)

opponent one, major victory on battle for the pass:

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz Mortal Realm: Hysh
    Leaders
Savage Big Boss (120)
- General
- Trait: Squirmy Warpaint
- Artefact: Glowin Tattooz
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Mystic Waaagh! Paint
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (420) 30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (420) 10 x Savage Orruks (120)
- Stikkas
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
- Stikkas
  Battalions
Bonegrinz Warclan (110) Kunnin' Rukk (200)
Endless Spells / Terrain Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3 Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 184

Opponent two,  duality of death, major victory: 

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Nagash Supreme Lord of the Undead (850)
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1: Fading Vigour (Deathmages) - Lores of the Dead Spell 2: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires) - Lores of the Dead Spell 3: Blades of Shyish (Vampires) Arkhan the Black Mortarch of Sacrament (340)
- Lore of the Dead: Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages) Necromancer (130)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Soul Harvest
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
5 x Dire Wolves (70)
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
20 x Grimghast Reapers (320)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
      Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1 Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 82

Opponent 3, minor loss, shifting objectives:

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament Mortal Realm: Hysh Necromancer (130)
- General
    - Trait: Mastery of Death
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread Necromancer (130)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour Necromancer (130)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify Necromancer (130)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread 5 x Dire Wolves (70)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
30 x Grimghast Reapers (420)
30 x Grave Guard (360)
-Great Wight Blades
Suffocating Gravetide (20)

• Like 1

Does anyone have any first hand experience with recent lists that exclude Judgments, and lists that include them? How close to an auto include are they in your lists?

Trying to figure out how many points to set aside for them, or just hit 2k with units alone.

Edit: If you were building a 'take all comers' tournament list, how would you rank the 3 judgments?

Edited by RussianBot454

So i went to a 2 day, 5 round event this past weekend....and it was DOMINATED by Slaanesh. Had to play the buggers twice myself. Ended up 4/1 and playing on table 1 round 5...but just couldn't get over on the Invaders list at the top table. My list was as follows:

Reapers of Vengence / Ulgu

Gore Pilgrims / Charnel Host

BT of UF: Mage Eater, Crimson Crown

Blood secrator: Skullshard Mantle

2x Slaughter priest

Blood Master

Deamon Prince: sword of judgement

2x (10) bloodletters

(20) bloodletters

(5) blood warriors

(10) blood reavers

karanak

3 x Judgments

The list hinged on the 6" pile in and the fight twice from reapers...and did rather well. there ended up a 4 way tie for 2nd and the killpoints were the tiebreaker. I already have some adjustments to the list to make...but it was dishearting when Slaanesh took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Do we have a answer for the net variety list that they can bring? They seem to outclass us in almost every aspect. (one game i managed 3130 kill points because of all his summoning). Have others had similar exp in this new meta? am i crazy and their is a silver bullet against Slaanesh?

1 hour ago, RussianBot454 said:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with recent lists that exclude Judgments, and lists that include them? How close to an auto include are they in your lists?

Trying to figure out how many points to set aside for them, or just hit 2k with units alone.

Edit: If you were building a 'take all comers' tournament list, how would you rank the 3 judgments?

I take all 3 regularly even with only 2 Slaughterpriest. The reason I take all three even with two priests is on any given turn you have a pretty good chance of having at least one stay on the board. They can really mess with an opponents movement plans so its nice utility to have. If only for the rule of cool, especially with the skulls they are an auto include.

I rank them in this order:

1) Axe

2) Skulls

3) Icon

The axe is surprisingly reliable if you are near the altar. The amount of wounds it can kick out is very nice and it scares support characters back quite a bit. It has an effective range for the D6 wounds of 19", 8" placement, 8" move, 3" range on the final D6 wounds. If you don't need the full range try to keep a priest wholly within 8" so you can try to keep it on the table on a 4".

The Skulls are nice and also an auto include for me. I don't have a ton of screening in my list so even if I am not against a single wizard they are great at blocking lanes, protecting the backfield, and clogging up the board. They are actually tough to get into the casters range and have the tendency to disappear before than can be used. 

The Icon I take last if I have spare points. It is also great at blocking lanes and controlling the table.  However the D3 damage for units it passes over isn't all that great as it doesn't have the range to really fly over a ton, however it does stack will with the ranged mortal wounds this army can spit out. The D3 extra models fleeing ability also doesn't come up that much actually, so many ways around battleshock, the units that do take it generally don't care that much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussianBot454 said:

I personally start my lists with the following:

- 2x Slaughterpriests
- Bloodsecrator
- Hexgorger Skulls
- Wrath Axe
- Extra Command Point

So that's 470 points.  The only time I find the Judgements to not be worth while is centered around the Skulls, where I'm playing against someone that doesn't have magic. In that case, they're a fancy roadblock.

I also agree with @twrightii's ranking.

33 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

So i went to a 2 day, 5 round event this past weekend....and it was DOMINATED by Slaanesh. Had to play the buggers twice myself. Ended up 4/1 and playing on table 1 round 5...but just couldn't get over on the Invaders list at the top table. My list was as follows:

Reapers of Vengence / Ulgu

Gore Pilgrims / Charnel Host

BT of UF: Mage Eater, Crimson Crown

Blood secrator: Skullshard Mantle

2x Slaughter priest

Blood Master

Deamon Prince: sword of judgement

2x (10) bloodletters

(20) bloodletters

(5) blood warriors

(10) blood reavers

karanak

3 x Judgments

The list hinged on the 6" pile in and the fight twice from reapers...and did rather well. there ended up a 4 way tie for 2nd and the killpoints were the tiebreaker. I already have some adjustments to the list to make...but it was dishearting when Slaanesh took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Do we have a answer for the net variety list that they can bring? They seem to outclass us in almost every aspect. (one game i managed 3130 kill points because of all his summoning). Have others had similar exp in this new meta? am i crazy and their is a silver bullet against Slaanesh?

How many Keepers were being used? I'm also curious why you took the Charnel Host, that's an interesting batallion to take compared to say, the Murderhost.

23 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

I personally start my lists with the following:

- 2x Slaughterpriests
- Bloodsecrator
- Hexgorger Skulls
- Wrath Axe
- Extra Command Point

So that's 470 points.  The only time I find the Judgements to not be worth while is centered around the Skulls, where I'm playing against someone that doesn't have magic. In that case, they're a fancy roadblock.

I also agree with @twrightii's ranking.

How many Keepers were being used? I'm also curious why you took the Charnel Host, that's an interesting batallion to take compared to say, the Murderhost.

With the battalion choice it was 2 things.....reduce drops, and the reroll 1's to wound is straight money on all units in the battalion.

I played 2 variants of the Slaanesh lists.....most of them (2 at this tourney) were dbbl keeper lists. One was 4 Exalted chariots...Both variants were very tough match-ups. 

On 7/18/2019 at 6:59 PM, AHTOXA said:

What you think about this roster for competition

Anything you do under GA: Chaos or Everchosn is strictly worse than same model under Khorne allegiance competitively speaking.

Khorne allegiance abilities may be not the best out there, but they are better than none at all.

Since all of your list can be ported to Khorne with zero model changes I don't see why it shouldn't be Khorne.

1 hour ago, Oreaper84 said:

Do we have a answer for the net variety list that they can bring? They seem to outclass us in almost every aspect. (one game i managed 3130 kill points because of all his summoning). Have others had similar exp in this new meta? am i crazy and their is a silver bullet against Slaanesh?

What we can do is take single wound battleline to not help their summoning, take UF to get around the strike last, take skulls because Slaanesh has no cast bonuses and you have all of that already. Maybe that's why you did well.

5 hours ago, Roark said:

Is this mainly Aetherstrike, or the combat builds too?

Mostly the combo built with Sequitors, Evocators and several ballistas.

The meta is totally cursed in my local area. Slaanesh, 4 Idoneth players, Maggotkin, SCE Sequiballistacombo and FEC are the most played factions... unfortunately.

I’ve been dropping my battalion on my mortal lists. I’ve run this at our local weekly AoS nights. We have 12-16 players every evening. I’ve played pretty much all the top lists in one form or another with victories at this point.  I find in bloodforged my skullgrinder gets auto targeted and same for gorepilgrims with my Bloodsecrator.  Why wouldn’t your opponent snipe your general or key hero running the battalion? So I find I loose my required hero and or an artefact carrier rendering the battalion useless. Priests and Skullreapers always take ranged attacks after that. I play against a lot of shootcast, and Skaven. So no one is safe.. so I’ve dropped the battalion and I think I’m happy with the results. Frees me up to bring more bloodwarriors and the judgements I want (axe/skulls) I also like going first. Putting those skulls where I want them to mess up the wizards. Just need to weather the storm and fish for those glorious 6’s with the Skullreapers and bloodboils. 

F538CBE2-1FD2-41A2-8868-BADA91462ECF.png

Edited by Impa
  • Like 3

I like your list a lot. The Bloodsecrator has that little bit of protection and just stays vaguely near the 3 shredgangs of Skullreapers. And I assume you would toss Blood Warriors up the field to die a little and keep the enemy off objectives.  I was curious about this though:

18 hours ago, Impa said:

I also like going first

Don't you find you have less choice in this without a battalion?

In any case, I used to love packing the field back in AOS1.0 with 165+ wounds and no battalion.

7 minutes ago, stus67 said:

Coming here as an SCE player. How the heck am I supposed to deal with 4 blood thirsters of incessant rage running tyrants of blood?

Shoot the living hell out of them would be my recommendation

43 minutes ago, stus67 said:

Coming here as an SCE player. How the heck am I supposed to deal with 4 blood thirsters of incessant rage running tyrants of blood?

You shoot them.

Celestar spam is one of the worst match-ups for Khorne (or ranged focused armies in general for that matter), regardless of what he is bringing. The more characters or big dudes he has, the better for you (at least in my experience).

The Khorne player either has to rush you or play straight for objectives and nothing else. You kill about 1/4 or even more of his army every single turn without him being able to interact...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roark said:

I like your list a lot. The Bloodsecrator has that little bit of protection and just stays vaguely near the 3 shredgangs of Skullreapers. And I assume you would toss Blood Warriors up the field to die a little and keep the enemy off objectives.  I was curious about this though:

Don't you find you have less choice in this without a battalion?

In any case, I used to love packing the field back in AOS1.0 with 165+ wounds and no battalion.

Thanks! Yes, I rarely get a choice without the Battalion for picking first/second. But majority of my opponents make me go first because they want that double turn. And if I’m going second that’s fine too. Closer units to my priests is cool with me. So I have blood boil potential. Charge potential with the reapers. Maybe get the skulls closer to where I want them. Utilize the wrath axe. Maybe get a double turn.  Keep buffs more consolidated to majority of units. Just need to eat the shooting. It’s going to happen.. But if Im playing magic heavy lists. I do like taking that first turn if I can to shut it down right out of the gate. Depending what army I’m facing and the scenario will dictate my deployment. If nothing can deepstrike you don’t really need to worry about anything dropping behind you. So you don’t really need to encompass your hero’s backs. I have a buddy that loves evocators and sureheart. So he banks on me leaving my heroes open to drop in and obliterate them with 10-15 evocators turn one. So yeah depending what I’m playing I’ll adjust for that. But in general I put my 2x10 bloodwarrior units up front as screens for my skullreapers. I dedicate bloodstoker to one. And skullgrinder behind the other. Send them to opposite objectives as a first wave. Tireless conquerors one unit. And whip the other to take objectives. Skullreapers and wrathmongers as the damage dealers behind that. I keep one 5 man bw unit with my priests for blood sacrifice or objective holding in my zone or to just act as a sacrificial screen for summons. Whatever the case may be. I block with my altar if I can also to screen the priests etc. Bloodsecrator I send into wherever the majority of the buffs are needed. I like the skullgrinder as general as he’s base 3/2/-1/2” range 3 attacks 4 damage with hew the foe. +1 to bravery and can do d3 mortals to a hero or monster at 2”. That’s a whole lot for 80 points. You can change it up if you want for a deathbringer of your choice. But I think I like him the most as a rogue damage dealer they have to dedicate stuff too. I find my priests and general are always major targets. Then skullreapers because people know their potential.. bloodwarriors are a pain to chew through. And if they dedicate range to them that’s just fine. Means they’ve left my precious priests and Skullreapers alone. 

Edited by Impa
  • Like 2

Well, with your constellation I would almost concider Slaughterborn. The Battalion is independent from Heroes for the Buff, you have a load of Units that would profil from it and is seems quite matching your defensive playstlye. Althrough I totaly get your point of the value behind not spending the 180 pts on it.

I currently also concider more and more defensive playstyle as this in general seems better for the game. There are just armies that are better at doing Khorne Stuff then Khorne.

Edited by Charleston
Removed some unnecessary and wrong saltiness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charleston said:

Well, with your constellation I would almost concider Slaughterborn. The Battalion is independent from Heroes for the Buff, you have a load of Units that would profil from it and is seems quite matching your defensive playstlye. Althrough I totaly get your point of the value behind not spending the 180 pts on it.

I currently also concider more and more defensive playstyle as this in general seems better for the game. There are just armies that are better at doing Khorne Stuff then Khorne.

Agreed, a passive buff based battalion not reliant on a hero is nice. And If it reduced rend to ranged attacks I’d be down for it.  I feel that’s our biggest weakness is being peppered down before getting into melee combat. That’s also why I don’t run skullreapers in 10 man units. As the damage that spills over in my opinion is better set into smaller groups so you don’t loose more models then necessary.  I agree there’s much better Khorne like attacks in other armies. But this is what we’ve got unfortunately.  And this is how I’ve made my mortals list put in the work. I still run Tyrants aswell with great success. And I take skullreapers in that list also.

Edited by Impa
  • Like 1

I have a question to you my further enlightened peers: if, say for example a command trait or artefact would "increase the attack  characacteristic of the units melee weapons" like the bloodsecrator does... does it affect the attacks dealt by the mount an affected unit has, or does it apply only to the "rider"?

Same would be my question regarding increased damage on melee weapons, in the case of goretiee command trait + juggerlord.

Do these bonuses apply on the weapons carried by both the mount and the rider, or just the rider? 

If a buff comes from an ability (i.e. +1 attack from a  Bloodsecrator or Wrathmongers, etc) then the mount would also get the benefit.

"Unit's melee weapons" includes the mount's melee attacks. Note that it also effects units/models with two or more melee attacks, such as Bullgors Axes & Horn attacks, or Aspiring Deathrbinger with his two axes- both weapons gain +1 attack. 

If the buff comes from an artifact or command trait (i.e. the Goretide trait you mentioned) then the mount is not effected, unless the item description specifically says it effects mounts.

4 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

If the buff comes from an artifact or command trait (i.e. the Goretide trait you mentioned) then the mount is not effected, unless the item description specifically says it effects mounts.

Regarding this ruling, can you tell me where this rule can be found? 

Also thanks for the swift reply! :D

edit: Nevermind, just read it from the core rules 😁😊

Edited by NoLifeKing