AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Whilst I have plenty of Daemons, I'm looking to make an all-mortal list at the moment.
Curious as to peoples thoughts on the Chaos Lord on Manticore - Given the multiple attack profiles, bloodsecrator/wrathmongers should help a decent amount. Hew the foe + Rune Blade should really help out. Seems a decent alternative to a Bloodthirster, though takes a bit of work.

Thinking of the following list - I understand it's not Tournament ready, more just for playing friendly (but still reasonably competitive) games.

Khorne - Gorechosen
Batallion - Gore Pilgrims

Chaos Lord on Manticore (DB + Lance) - General - Hew the Foe + Rune Blade - 250
3 * Slaughterpriests (Bronzed Flesh, Blood Sacrifice, Killing Frenzy) - 3 * 100
Bloodsecrator - Thronebreakers - 120
Skullgrinder - 80

10 *Blood Warriors - Goreaxe + Fist - 200
10 * Bloodreavers - Meatripper Axes - 70
10 * Bloodreavers - Meatripper Axes - 70

5 * Wrathmongers - 140
6 * Mighty Skullcrushers - 360
1 * Chaos Gorebeast Chariots - Greatblade - 100
1 * Chaos Gorebeast Chariots - Greatblade - 100

Wrath Axe - 60

1990/2000pts, 141 wounds

Not entirely sold on the Gorebeast Chariots. Could probably remove those + Skullgrinder and maybe one of the priests for 2 units of Skullreapers.
Only really taking a battalion to get the runeblade on the Lord, otherwise would probably have just gone for another unit of Wrathmongers.

35 minutes ago, Syrex said:

Not entirely sold on the Gorebeast Chariots.

To run the Gorebeast chariots at maximum effectiveness you really need a Bloodstoker and / or a Chaos Lord on Daemonic mount, which would probably involve you dropping the Skullgrinder and 3  Mighty Skullcrushers, which might not be a bad thing given the other mortal units in your list that could be whipped.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Galdenistal said:

To run the Gorebeast chariots at maximum effectiveness you really need a Bloodstoker and / or a Chaos Lord on Daemonic mount, which would probably involve you dropping the Skullgrinder and 3  Mighty Skullcrushers, which might not be a bad thing given the other mortal units in your list that could be whipped.

Thanks for the reply.
I did think about taking a Bloodstoker, and might swap him in for Skullgrinder (Probably moreso to help with the Skullcrushers). I didn't really build the list with any focus on the Chariots (Just a mortal alternative to Khorgis), so might drop them out for something else.

I'd certainly be keen to try a unit of 3 with Bloodstoker/Lord on Daemonic Mount sometime though.

On 7/9/2019 at 7:59 AM, Laier said:

I wonder. What if skullcannons should be taken not as "cannons" but as "shooting chariots". Riding on flanks, shooting and hacking light cavalry, archers and chaff? In a unit of two-three?

That's exactly it. Just shooting with them is a waste, get that badboy stuck in! 

On 7/9/2019 at 12:22 PM, Battlefury said:

because 60.000.000 ( after tax, production cost, wages, rental fees, etc. )  isn't just enough per year.

Really, what i see is, that they just change the rules & stuff that much, to make people buy,

News just in! Company tries to make money!

Water is wet!

Careful you don’t get censored by the mods again lol

But in all seriousness you don’t actually think the two factors are linked? 

Edited by MOMUS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MOMUS said:

News just in! Company tries to make money!

Careful you don’t get censored by the mods again lol

But in all seriousness you don’t actually think the two factors are linked? 

Honestly probably not. The bloodthirster kit was always going up towards the other greater daemons, and it's points needed to come down a bit. Individually and unrelated true statements. 

So, facing Slaanesh for the first time tomorrow with the list below, not sure what he's bringing but I'm expecting something hard. Any recommendations on what to target, avoid etc?

Spoiler

Slaughterhost: Goretide

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 160 

-Trait: Hew the foe

-Artifact: Torc (Ignore save modifiers)

Exalted Deathbringer 80

-Artifact: Mark of the Destroyer (+2A)

Bloodsecrator 120

Bloodstoker 80

Slaughterpriest 100

-Bronzed Flesh

10 Bloodreavers 70 

-Meatripper Axes

15 Blood Warriors 300

-Gorefists

-1 Goreglaive

5 Blood Warriors 100

-Gorefists

Mighty Skullcrushers 180

-Glaives 

Khorgorath 100

Khorgorath 100

Skullreapers 180

Skullreapers 180

Slaughterborn battalion 180

Hexgorger Skulls 40

TOTAL: 1970 / 2000

Edited by Bjornas

So points changes are in!

Bloodsecrator-20, great for us, still a key unit for me

Skarr bloodwrath-20, I really like this model and it’s nice to squeeze him in more easily, really rate him for objective play/deep strike daemon summon

valkia+20, not sure who was annoyed by her at HQ, not really to bothered but just re-read her cmd ability and I like her more now

BTIR-10, BTUF-30, WKBT-20, now you’re talking! I regularly field two, decent points drop as they’re not esp overpowered or durable compared to other monster heroes. 

Skullcannon-10, waste of time, this thing is useless,  these things have been 180, 160, 140 and now 130. Maybe just admit defeat and rewrite the rules GW? I’ve never seen them at an event or in casual play, they’re boring! Justice for skullcannons!

Apart from that it’s a bit of a naff FAQ for us, mortal units have really been overlooked this year most could do with a point reduction or for their rules to be properly copy pasted. Unless there is a slaves to darkness book this next year will be pretty stale for the khorne book.

• Like 1

Hey All,

I've been dipping my feet into the other factions of chaos; Khorne and BoC. I've come up with this list.

goals: Fun. Low model count (compared to my 60+ nurgle lists), potential high damage, fast (i'll settle for fast-ish), can win 2-3 of 5 games. 

I'd love to hear some input and ideas on the artifacts (I have access to three!) as well as what synergies work and what traps to avoid.

Thanks!

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (160)
- General
- Trait: Berzerker Lord 
- Artefact: Gorecleaver 
Doombull of Khorne (120)
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc 
- Banner of Khorne (Artefact): Banner of Rage
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (180)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes

Units
10 x Bestigors of Khorne (120)
10 x Bestigors of Khorne (120)
3 x Bullgors of Khorne (160)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Brass Despoilers (190)
Brass Stampede (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

There's not a lot of models in the list, and would struggle to fight for objectives, but my HOPE is that they can punch into the hordes well. IT'll struggle vs some lists for sure.
Bestigors are my chaff clearers/ objective stealers.
Gorebulls have Greataxes, with access to Khornate buffs, that's a lot of High rend attacks coming down. 

Some thoughts were: Ditch the wrath mongers for Valkia, 
change Gorebulls to Bestigors, drop the command point + skulls and get more bodies. 
Drop command point/ change bulls to Bestigors  for some cheap ungors. 

Worth noting that I have a LOT of the old metal Khornegors. heh.

Thanks for any advice. 

On 7/10/2019 at 4:09 AM, PivotalCar said:

The last few bloodthirsters are selling on ebay for 100 bucks, so now is the time to buy before the price goes up. I have a 100% mortal army and I think a bloodthirster of unfettered fury would be a good distraction carnifex even if he wasn't supported and didn't have any of the good daemon artifacts or traits. I am a bit (very) low on funds so this would be a significant investment and I don't know if it is worth it. What do you guys think?

I actually think UF became relatively worse despite the point drop.

The reason being that FEC got their strike first nerfed to work only on charge turn so the 6" pile in isn't as important as it was before. In a role of flying beatsticks Demon prince, Manticore lord and Valkia still outperform him.

3 hours ago, Bjornas said:

So, facing Slaanesh for the first time tomorrow with the list below, not sure what he's bringing but I'm expecting something hard. Any recommendations on what to target, avoid etc?

Well, you 100% don't want his heroes to be smashing your 3+ wound dudes. Throwing blood warriors at them is okay since you can't really avoid that, also Slaanesh is relatively low save and suffers damage from no respite.

The daemonettes and all non-heroes in general should have issues with cracking slaughterborn dudes. Most of their army doesn't go above rend -1.

While positioning expect that anything can pile in twice for CP. And KoS has range 3" on his big claws. But nothing piles in 6" I think.

Unlike us they don't summon from terrain so if you kill their heroes their points become useless. But they summon waaaay more.

Their locus doesn't work on hero phase pile in for BPs. In  a combat phase expect to fight last.

They don't have much bonuses to cast so Bloodsecrator aura should be good.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys and gals, we just added your favorite blood-drenched maniacs to AoS Reminders!

Give it a whirl!

If you haven't used AoS Reminders yet, it's basically a cheat-sheet for different phases of the game. It originally started when I kept forgetting to do things with my Seraphon army in the hero phase - since then we've added a bunch of armies. Over 5,000 people use it every month - give it a whirl!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Played my first ever BoK game today! My list fully assembled I took to the table against the gloomspite of my GW manager.

I used the list I've had in the works for months-

Tyrants, skar, UF general, IR amberglaive 1060

Secrator + 2 priests + wrath axe 380

10 warriors, 2x5 dogs, wrathmongers 540

My opponent used a range of gloomspite stuff including 10 boingrots, 10 hoppers, a mangler boss, 20 herd, 40 stabbas, 20 shootas, and some other things

Played take and hold from the core book as forgot the GHB.

Great game, slow first few turns as we both edged forwards when it all kicked off round 3 as he got the charge on me. The IR got wrecked but skarbrand killed loads, I actually got off the combo I wanted to! He did 24 mortals to some hoppers then piled in 6" second time into the mangler which threw my opponent off and also bombed that off the board with 32 MWs.

After that point it boiled down to a grab for the objectives, he used hand of gork a couple times which greatly threw me off early game and threatened me late game too. I summoned 10 dogs to guard the back objective, a choice that won me the game really as it let me hold that objective. I pushed up with everything else I had left and went to kill the stabbas on his objective. Skar killed enough to be out of 8 to pile in again 😄 however I couldn't quite get the objective and the game ended with me getting a minor victory.

Skarbrand was truly awesome he did exactly what I wanted him to. The game was played pretty seriously so I'm extremely happy I bested my opponent as I had generally no idea what I was doing.

Things I found tough to pull off is the line between positioning for damage to be done by the thirsters, for them and the buffing characters to be screened, and for the objectives to be held. I have a feeling I will be summoning many big units late game for objective grabbing in the future as my list is a little thin on the ground. The BWs seemed especially quite cumbersome to move and screen with but practice will hopefully make perfect.

Cheers for (maybe) reading this clumsily cobbled together report by me 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@daviseford very nice!

However Bloodtithe is specifically spent at the start of the hero phase and not at any point as noted on your site (apart from the spell unbind one which is obviously spent as needed). 

Thanks. I'm starting to think that I may have an older version of the battletome or something. Is that possible?

I didn't see that update in the errata. Or is this rule change located in a GHB?

Edit: I see some changes in GHB 2018 to summoning that I have now added. But I still don't know where the change to "start of hero phase" comes from 😕

Edited by daviseford

19 minutes ago, relic456 said:

@daviseford Hmm yeah you might have the old battletome, Khorne got a new one back in March.  As examples, I noticed Korghos Khul is missing, as well as the Slaughterhost traits and the Exalted Deathbringer information is using his old warscroll

Unfortunately you are correct. On the plus side I just found the 2019 version. I will update tomorrow. Sorry about that, and thanks for catching it!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, daviseford said:

Hey guys and gals, we just added your favorite blood-drenched maniacs to AoS Reminders!

Give it a whirl!

If you haven't used AoS Reminders yet, it's basically a cheat-sheet for different phases of the game. It originally started when I kept forgetting to do things with my Seraphon army in the hero phase - since then we've added a bunch of armies. Over 5,000 people use it every month - give it a whirl!

This is pretty awesome, going to give it a try! I will say the rules and name for Council of Blood has changed to Tyrants of Blood. 

(edit) Actually it looks like everything is from our old book which pretty much makes this unusable however the idea is awesome.

Edited by twrightii
More changes
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, twrightii said:

This is pretty awesome, going to give it a try! I will say the rules and name for Council of Blood has changed to Tyrants of Blood. 

(edit) Actually it looks like everything is from our old book which pretty much makes this unusable however the idea is awesome.

Check it out now! I have updated everything to 2019. If you notice any lingering units/battalions that shouldn't be there, let me know!

Thanks for the feedback!

• Thanks 2