AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Smooth criminal said:

GW's modus operandi so far is "increase costs for popular things and decrease for unpopular ones".

I would totally expect an increase on dogs and priests and decrease on warriors, reavers.

Thirsters, reapers, crushers, letters, etc. already got adjustements in the book, I don't expect them to be changed this soon.

I really hope they dial lords back and reduce cannons to apologize for the wrathmonger fiasco, but that probably won't happen.

You're absolutely right. More than once they patched good stuf to literal unworthy units. Like Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut for example.

On 1/23/2019 at 11:30 PM, Agent of Chaos said:

No worries @Killax and great to see you posting again! It seems you take the khorne nerfs harder than anyone!

I see you've included 10 x flesh hounds in both lists. Can I claim influence for this? I can definitely vouch for their effective although being near a khorne daemon hero for that unbind reroll is pretty handy and something that is missing from your gore pilgrims list.

Although I dont own and so have never used a warshrine the syncing with gore pilgrims seems obvious and I will definitely be running a list like that when I eventually get mine. 

I'm a big fan of Immense Power and Deathdealer on my Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster and have won games due to the extra damage he causes. Brazen Rune is a must for when you dont want to leave a crucial unbind to chance. I've never used mine for the magic protection ability, only ever for the auto dispel so am usually happy with it being on my bloodsecrator. Gyrstrike is the most notable malign sorcery artifact however give the WoK thirster already wounds on 2+ its a waste on him.

This might be controversial but Im not sure you will get that much benefit from the bloodsecator in the blood hunt. You have lots of unbinding options in the list and most of the units are fast and so might get out of range. If he is going to hang back and support the marauders then blood reavers would be a better option given they would benefit from the totem keyword as well.  I think you are probably right about the synergy with the bloodletters so they should probably stay in.  

Hey, in the blades of khorne battle time. What page is the immense power battle trait on? I’m really struggling to find it ha!! Tia

23 hours ago, Onthedouble said:

Hey, in the blades of khorne battle time. What page is the immense power battle trait on? I’m really struggling to find it ha!! Tia

I don’t think that one exists anymore. It was the +1 damage for weapons on demon general right? If so that didn’t make the cut to new book.

Hi all

Ive been following this forum for the last couple of months. Thought it was high time I got involved. I generally play in a tight knit group of 3, stormcast, nighthaunt and myself. Big thanks to everyone for all the tips and tricks. Recently off the back of consecutive decisive wins over nighthaunt at 3k and stormcast at 2k. Loving all the discussion and I’ll hopefully be back with some battle reports in the future .

cheers all 

• Like 1

HI

I got a fellow up question about summoning, when you summon stuff in with either the blood tie or the ability Karanak has are those units you have to factor into the point cost of your army or are they "free" units ? also is the wrath and rapture box any good been able to find it at a cheap price in a local game store and im thinking about getting it 

Thanks for any help 

@nakomat summoned units are free.

Wrath & Rapture is OK if you intend on using all of those models and have someone to buy the Slaanesh half.  My 3 Bloodcrushers see very little use, same with Karanak, but now and then they have been fun in casual games.

Its probably a better option then the Start Collecting Khorne Daemons if you dont want a skull cannon/throne, but if you want to go heavy on Bloodcrushers then buying both boxes is a good option. 

• Thanks 1

Hi all. I play mainly mortal Khorne (although have a few Daemon models I'm slowly adding in to my army). I'm currently playing a campaign against a friend who plays Beasts of Chaos. Now I've played against him half a dozen times and a couple of things stand out...

1. The herdstone send quite powerful compared to our Skull Altar. Increasing the range of -1 to hit each round really starts hurting Khorne. All this time we have to sit out Slaughterpriests almost next to the Altar to keep the re-roll. 

2. He runs Tzaangors (I think), I can't believe the number of attacks that the beats can put out. They always seem to demolish my units and don't die easily either. 

Any tips on how to combat this and also what are people's thoughts on the Skull Altar? 

I generally run Asp DB, MLoK, BW x10, Flesh Hounds x5, BSec, Khorgis, Slaughterpriests and a Skull Cannon.

9 hours ago, Azlak the Damned said:

Hi all. I play mainly mortal Khorne (although have a few Daemon models I'm slowly adding in to my army). I'm currently playing a campaign against a friend who plays Beasts of Chaos. Now I've played against him half a dozen times and a couple of things stand out...

1. The herdstone send quite powerful compared to our Skull Altar. Increasing the range of -1 to hit each round really starts hurting Khorne. All this time we have to sit out Slaughterpriests almost next to the Altar to keep the re-roll. 

2. He runs Tzaangors (I think), I can't believe the number of attacks that the beats can put out. They always seem to demolish my units and don't die easily either. 

Any tips on how to combat this and also what are people's thoughts on the Skull Altar? 

I generally run Asp DB, MLoK, BW x10, Flesh Hounds x5, BSec, Khorgis, Slaughterpriests and a Skull Cannon.

Sounds like 1k, no?

You're going to need to sort your list out really. The MLoK and skull cannon are not great options at all, and the asp deathbringer is also not too great. 

Flesh hounds are great, and if you could get karanak he's very very good for smaller games as the 5 free hounds are huge, and he is considerably killy. 10 blood warriors with bronzed flesh from a priest is a very nice brick that at 1k might be tough to cut down. Maybe some more khorgis in skullfiend tribe, a DP, possibly even a bloodthirster could give you some nice killing power. Have a think.

With the tzaangors, theyre much weaker beneath 18, so if you can get them to below 18 then they lose their killing power and all their attacks (they get +1 for every 9 in the unit). This can hopefully be solved by hitting before they do and weakening them. Remember they're only 1 wound 5+ save guys. They die. They die fast.

Hope this helps

10 hours ago, Azlak the Damned said:

Do you have any of the Judgements models? The Wrath-Axe can help shave a few models off the unit and give them a -1 to hit rolls.

Some Skullreapers would work well against a block of Tzaangors too, since they get hit rerolls vs units with more than 5 models, and natural 6s generate additional mortal wounds.

29 minutes ago, fwlr said:

Flesh hounds are great, and if you could get karanak he's very very good for smaller games as the 5 free hounds are huge, and he is considerably killy. 10 blood warriors with bronzed flesh from a priest is a very nice brick that at 1k might be tough to cut down. Maybe some more khorgis in skullfiend tribe, a DP, possibly even a bloodthirster could give you some nice killing power. Have a think.

With the tzaangors, theyre much weaker beneath 18, so if you can get them to below 18 then they lose their killing power and all their attacks (they get +1 for every 9 in the unit). This can hopefully be solved by hitting before they do and weakening them. Remember they're only 1 wound 5+ save guys. They die. They die fast.

Hope this helps

I don't think Tzaangors are weak at all--they have 2 wounds, and their arcanite shields give them a 6+ after-save. Pair them with a Tzaangor Shaman who keeps replenishing the unit with Boon of Mutation, and it's a hell of a time.

18 hours ago, Zamik said:

Do you have any of the Judgements models? The Wrath-Axe can help shave a few models off the unit and give them a -1 to hit rolls.

Some Skullreapers would work well against a block of Tzaangors too, since they get hit rerolls vs units with more than 5 models, and natural 6s generate additional mortal wounds.

I don't think Tzaangors are weak at all--they have 2 wounds, and their arcanite shields give them a 6+ after-save. Pair them with a Tzaangor Shaman who keeps replenishing the unit with Boon of Mutation, and it's a hell of a time.

That's exactly what he keeps doing. I need to get done Skullreapers really. I do have the judgements, in the meeting engagements game I ran the skulls as in the past he'd used his magic to great effect against me. Needless to say, the skulls didn't actually do much but they did make him change his mind about casting any spells in the third battle round. 

Think I'll run with the axe next game.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 12:58 PM, Azlak the Damned said:

[...]

How is it a hit modifier?

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_AoS_BeastsOfChaos_Herdstone.pdf

On 7/5/2019 at 9:41 PM, fwlr said:

This used to be the case but was changed in Beasts of Chaos. Tzaangor now get +1 attack as long as the unit has 9 models or more, not +1 attack for every 9. They no longer scale quite as high in terms of possible attacks (though they still have plenty) but the buff is harder to remove.

Also, yeah, as others have pointed out, they're 2 wound models with a 5+ save and 6+ ignore as long as the unit still has a model with a shield.

Buffed-up Skullreapers are a pretty good counter, that being said, and their bravery isn't great so Khorgoraths could also be a decent option. Ideally both!

• Like 1

I tried out Skarbrand yesterday. I was not dissapointed, he one shotted yhe enemy general on a Stonehorn and mopped up two mournfang cavalry units with some blood warrior backup. He's insane.  

Though he did almost die to the second unit as they did 10 wounds to him. On the flipside that just made him angrier xD

1 hour ago, Mikeymajq said:

I tried out Skarbrand yesterday. I was not dissapointed, he one shotted yhe enemy general on a Stonehorn and mopped up two mournfang cavalry units with some blood warrior backup. He's insane.  

Though he did almost die to the second unit as they did 10 wounds to him. On the flipside that just made him angrier xD

Awesome! I'm headed down to my Warhammer store to order him right now! Excited!

Hi I'm relatively new to khorne but have a few games under my belt at this point. I've had a lot of succes playing at 1000-1500points but as I've been stepping up to 2k points I've been hammered into the ground. So I was wondering if I could get some tips on strategy/ list building. I usually run some variation on these units

bloodthirster IR, bloodmaster, bloodsecreator, 2priests

30letters, 2x5hounds, 9bloodcrushers, 10reavers, 5wrathmongers, 1skullcannon

Mostly daemons but I've started to consider more mortal stuff. Just picked up some bloodwarriors, a skullgrinder and a bloodstoker up last week although I've yet to try any of it yet. 

I'm also putting alot of thought into batallions so far I've been experimenting with the murderhost which seems a bit underwhelming for the points cost. I might try out gorepilgrims next week since I now have the warriors but any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

1 hour ago, fwlr said:

Awesome! I'm headed down to my Warhammer store to order him right now! Excited!

Just make sure to screen him and hope nothing shoots him because he's one squishy big boi. I had a slaughterpriest with resangiunation (I had quite a few multiwound units too).

15 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

Just make sure to screen him and hope nothing shoots him because he's one squishy big boi. I had a slaughterpriest with resangiunation (I had quite a few multiwound units too).

That's what council of blood is for. Target saturation!

• LOVE IT! 1

Hi Chaps 

I have a tournament coming up at the end of the month and I am thinking of taking the following list:

Slaughterhost - Reapers of Vengence

Archaon - 660

Bloodstoker - 80

Secrator - 140

Priest (Bronzed flesh) - 100

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (Crimson Crown, Mage Eater) - 300

Bloodreavers 2x10 - 140

Bloodletters x30 - 300

Varanguard - 260

Total - 1980

I know the Varanguard aren't optimal at all, but as they are my favourite unit in the game i would love to take them with me - plus Archaon actually makes them half decent. 

The general plan is to use Archaon to wreck face with all the buffs and have the thirster shenanigans to get round FEC and Slaanesh rubbish with the letters and Varanguard backing them up.

Interested to hear peoples feedback and thoughts on viability etc