AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

So I'm wanting to make a list around archaon because he's big and pretty!

I know he's supposed to be pretty fun in khorne because of all the buffs but as someone still not 100% familiar with all the khorne heroes (the khorne players I've played against usually go light on buffing) I'm not sure exactly what I should go with list wise to take with him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm guessing a bloodstoker & bloodsecrator are musts for the +1 attack and reroll wounds. Possibly an aspiring deathbringer for the +1attack command ability? But that would be difficult keeping him in the same combat as archy. I'm guessing though that lord on juggernaught could be good for his command ability to give a bonus on the charge? I haven't listed any demon examples because I really don't know them well yet.

46 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

I'm guessing a bloodstoker & bloodsecrator are musts for the +1 attack and reroll wounds. Possibly an aspiring deathbringer for the +1attack command ability? But that would be difficult keeping him in the same combat as archy. I'm guessing though that lord on juggernaught could be good for his command ability to give a bonus on the charge? I haven't listed any demon examples because I really don't know them well yet.

Besides the Bloodstoker and Bloodsecrator...

Slaughterpriest with Bronzed Flesh can buff either Archaon or your BT.

Speaking of Thirsters, especially the flavour of the month BT of unfettered fury is really useful.

Juggerlord is not really interesting anymore, he's expensive for what he does and his command ability cannot be triggered by Archaon. Realistically, Archaon will never be your general in a Khorne setup (abilities that are activated in the hero phase are surprisingly rare now and you would waste a command trait). Concerning the Deathrbinger, he's too hard to pull off for a buff that doesn't help that much. There are better and more impactful choices for 80-100p.

Honestly, a lot of buffs come from the allegiance itself, like Locus of Fury, Blood Tithe activations, Reapers of Vengeance...

Edited by Xasz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fwlr said:

So what's the general opinion on the unfettered for tyrants? is he crucial? 

And what're people opinions on skarbrand in tyrants as well?  I've currently got a WoK thirster and an insensate rage thirster built and painted. If I wanted to I could magnetise the WoK into an unfettered and use whichever is more useful mostly because I really want skarbrand.

Or is he just someone to leave out of tyrants lists? He is exceptionally damaging but just not as hardy, and more of a 1 hit wonder than anything really. 

So what do you guys reckon? Magnetise WoK and get skarbrand or buy another normal one?.

Moving onto my last thirster soon, probably going to place my order on Saturday. 

Cheers

Grain of salt time as I've only played 2 games with the Tyrants of Blood, both against melee destruction armies so there is that. 1 game I had 4 BT, 1 of each and the second game I dropped the WoK for 6 Bloodcrushers.

Unfettered Furys 6" pile-in adds so much utility he will always be a must have for me. This essentially allows you to retreat and charge, obviously with restrictions and less movement. It also lets you get around things that are going to attack at the start of the combat phase, FEC, Idoneth, Fanatics, Other Bloodlords Thirsters, Slaanesh etc. The ability to prevent a unit from retreating is also gold and can win games. I don't think you need the Crimson Crown on him though, as I've found I'm only really needing to use it once or twice a game, and for that I'd rather have an item like the Amberglaive on the Insensate Rage thirster.

As for Skarbrand, the guy is just fun. Again, he hasn't faced shooting, and at 400 points he probably isn't quite worth it, but when he goes off it is a sight to behold. He isn't tricksy, he's just a bulldozer of rage that is awesome to watch go off when he does go off. Plus rolling a 6 for Carnage just brightens my day.

7 hours ago, Lightbox said:

So I'm wanting to make a list around archaon because he's big and pretty!

I know he's supposed to be pretty fun in khorne because of all the buffs but as someone still not 100% familiar with all the khorne heroes (the khorne players I've played against usually go light on buffing) I'm not sure exactly what I should go with list wise to take with him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've tried the thermal rider cloak on the aspiring deathbringer to keep up with archaon, but I found it unnecessary as you're better off spending the command point to attack twice. Otherwise like Xasz said you'll want to take slaughterpriests for bronzed flesh and killing frenzy. Killing frenzy is gold on him since, when combined with the locus, he basically gets pure rerolls to hit. Wrathmongers are another consideration but really they should be in any list anyway. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, Charleston said:

I am currently working on the last units to finish the following army list:

I think you want a priest with sacrifice here to maximize chances of having 3 BP on turn 2. In fact it almost guarantees you 3 BPs if crushers manage to kill their original target.

A thing to consider is using leftover points to have skulls+icon instead of an axe. Sure, axe is better and Gore pilgrims make skulls kinda redunant, but skulls+icon is 2 judgements you will almost always cast vs. a judgement that you may not cast at all.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2019 at 12:36 AM, swarmofseals said:

Quick question -- what is the current conventional wisdom regarding the best sequence breaking Bloodthirster build? The way I see it there are two ways to do it:

1. Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury in any Slaughterhost (probably Reapers), moves between 3.1" and 6" of the enemy so that they can't activate, wait until opponent has exhausted all legal activations and then choose this to pile in and attack.

• Advantages: you can strap on a useful artefact to either increase combat punch or provide extra mobility. You get access to the strike twice command ability, which is really powerful. You can completely prevent any "strikes at the start of the combat phase" unit from attacking altogether during your turn.
  • Disadvantages: Much more awkward to use against units that don't strike at the start of the combat phase, as you will need more total units in combat than your opponent in order to fully bypass your target's attacks. It also isn't likely to work during your opponent's turn at all unless they make a mistake.

2. Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage in Bloodlords, artefact gives always strike first.

• Advantages: Strikes first on the opponent's turn except against models that strike at the start of the combat phase.  Insensate Rage is probably better in combat at baseline.
  • Doesn't wholly prevent enemy strike-first models from attacking. Artefact slot is taken up and no double strike command ability. 

UF is usable in any host and a default pick. You don't even need Reapers that much because other hosts have either +damage or +2 attacks bonuses so his damage doesn't fall off that much.

IR is the high risk high reward one. He can whiff completely or carry a game by himself. I think Bloodlords is the worst host for him, because he wants artifacts and traits that let him hit more, not the strike first. You want him to be in Reapers, charge, go first in usual order and double tap consecutively and hope he demolishes everything around him.

WoK is the best in Bloodlords I think. With general trait he has a low chance of whiffing a charge (that normally makes UF better with his 6") and his math against heroes is better than UF. Also the proper strike first artifact allows him to go before "beginning of combat" buff abilities trigger unlike the 6". He also synergizes better with bloodcrushers than UF because you want them to charge, not sit around in 6".

tl;dr UF by default. WoK with an artifact (bloodlords or 4+ one). IR in Reapers with +hit.

Technically the longest streak without Tyrants is go Reapers, take 4+ strike first, win the roll and double tap out of order then double tap in order with something else. You can do it with any thirster and another unit.

Edited by Smooth criminal

@Grimrock + @Smooth criminal -- thanks for the responses and advice!

Perhaps I should provide some more context. I've got a lot of Beasts of Chaos and have been thinking about doing some chaos god specific armies. In each case the bulk of the force would be in the BoC battalion with god-specific units to support. I am approaching this primarily with a competitive mindset, fwiw. 

For Khorne, I arrived at this basic framework:

Beastlord (90)

Bloodsecrator (140)

Slaughterpriest (100)

Gaunt Summoner w/ Familiars (160 - ally) 

3 x 10 Gors (210)

30 Bestigors (300)

5 Centigors (80)

Lauchon the Soulseeker (60)

Brass Despoilers (190)

That's 1330 points right there and forms the core of the list. It's 4 drops at the moment. I know the Gaunt Summoner is heresy, but it seems like by far the best way of getting Lauchon into the build so as to be able to hit the opponent on turn 1 with the Bestigors if desired. 

Beyond this, there are a couple of possible directions to go in:

• I'd like to add another main combat unit if possible, either a second set of 30 Bestigors or a set of 20 Centigors (+300-320 points). Another possibility would be to swap the Beastlord for a Doombull and add in a unit of Bullgors, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the loss of mobility.
  • Bulking up one of the sets of Gors to 30 would be nice as well (+130 points)
  • Adding further small units is an interesting possibility. I think units of 5 Centigors are ideal as they are efficient, work well in the context of the battalion ability and add a huge amount of mobility to the army. Tuskgor Chariots are also possible. They are slower and weaker but only cost 60 points. The idea with these units would be to harass the opponent, contest unexpected objectives, keep the battalion buffs active on units that matter, and just generally get in the opponent's way in order to slow them down and eventually convert into a relatively cheap blood tithe point.
  • Add in Gore Pilgrims (+410 minimum, but would allow removing 1-2 units of Gors) - this would allow me to cut drops down to 3 while fitting in a second Slaughterpriest (and perhaps even a third). Having 2-3 Slaughterpriests is quite attractive and the extra range on the Bloodsecrator is quite welcome.
  • Add in some sort of combat monster. The most annoying thing about this list is that it feels like I'm wasting the Slaughterhost benefits as well as most artefact benefits as I don't have any heroes that I really want fighting. That said, I'm not sure the benefits of taking a combat monster (likely a Bloodthirster) really justify the points outlay (not to mention going up to 5 drops, which is a big deal). 

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

Perhaps I should provide some more context. I've got a lot of Beasts of Chaos and have been thinking about doing some chaos god specific armies. In each case the bulk of the force would be in the BoC battalion with god-specific units to support. I am approaching this primarily with a competitive mindset, fwiw. 

Beastlord (90)

Bloodsecrator (140)

Slaughterpriest (100)

3 x 10 Gors (210)

30 Bestigors (300)

5 Centigors (80)

Brass Despoilers (190)

That's 1330 points right there and forms the core of the list. It's 4 drops at the moment. I know the Gaunt Summoner is heresy, but it seems like by far the best way of getting Lauchon into the build so as to be able to hit the opponent on turn 1 with the Bestigors if desired. 

• I'd like to add another main combat unit if possible, either a second set of 30 Bestigors or a set of 20 Centigors (+300-320 points). Another possibility would be to swap the Beastlord for a Doombull and add in a unit of Bullgors, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the loss of mobility.
  • Adding further small units is an interesting possibility. I think units of 5 Centigors are ideal as they are efficient, work well in the context of the battalion ability and add a huge amount of mobility to the army. Tuskgor Chariots are also possible. They are slower and weaker but only cost 60 points. The idea with these units would be to harass the opponent, contest unexpected objectives, keep the battalion buffs active on units that matter, and just generally get in the opponent's way in order to slow them down and eventually convert into a relatively cheap blood tithe point.
  • Add in Gore Pilgrims (+410 minimum, but would allow removing 1-2 units of Gors) - this would allow me to cut drops down to 3 while fitting in a second Slaughterpriest (and perhaps even a third). Having 2-3 Slaughterpriests is quite attractive and the extra range on the Bloodsecrator is quite welcome.
  • Add in some sort of combat monster. The most annoying thing about this list is that it feels like I'm wasting the Slaughterhost benefits as well as most artefact benefits as I don't have any heroes that I really want fighting. That said, I'm not sure the benefits of taking a combat monster (likely a Bloodthirster) really justify the points outlay (not to mention going up to 5 drops, which is a big deal). 

Any thoughts?

First of all: Who is Lauchon the Soulseeker? I really didn't ever hear of it and couldn't find him via Google.

If I would know that I could maybe give some thoughts on your composition.

1 minute ago, Battlefury said:

First of all: Who is Lauchon the Soulseeker? I really didn't ever hear of it and couldn't find him via Google.

If I would know that I could maybe give some thoughts on your composition.

Lauchon is one of the new endless spells. Basically it gives you a free 12" flying move but kills a model as the price. The idea here is to use it to enable a turn 1 attack with your 30 Bestigors: 12" Lauchon move + 6" regular move + run (+1") and charge should easily get there in 18" gap battleplans and have a very good chance on 24" battleplans unless your opponent deploys far back off the line. Even then you've got a shot especially if you use a CP on the run. 

• Like 1

Right. Been sitting on this list for a good while now, but just before I buy the last few things for it, what do people think?

Tyrants - skarbrand, BToIR w amberglaive, BToUF, general with skullshard mantle 1120

Bloodsecrator 140

Priest x2- frenzy, bronzed flesh 200

10 warriors, gorefists 200

2x5 flesh hounds 200

Wrathmongers 140

I have no idea how it exactly works as I don't own it yet, but the basic idea is that I can enjoy casual games and go to tournaments with the sole purpose of KILLING STUFF. Very khorne.

I want skarbrand to kill EVERYTHING. 54 mortal wounds babyyyy.

I've taken the unfettered over the wrath as not only was I over points but his cmd ability is very very attractive.

What do you lot think?

2 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Beastlord (90)

Bloodsecrator (140)

Slaughterpriest (100)

3 x 10 Gors (210)

30 Bestigors (300)

5 Centigors (80)

Brass Despoilers (190)

Any thoughts?

So far your approach is good imo.

Due to my experience I would like to give you some thought for your build:

1* Concider the unit size of the Betsigors. It is pretty tough to get 30 into combat vs one unit. But if you intend to get multiple units into combat with them, then you're good with them.

2* Keep an eye to your allied point pool, since 400 points is pretty fast reached.

3* The chariots are a good choice imo. For 60 points their only purpose is to be fast and chaff enemies. Bring them in one by one in waves, really. One after the other over and over again will drive the enemy crazy, because he ain't going anywhere.

4* You have a lot of fast units, that are good as chaffing and screening. But atm you lack of real hammers. The Betsigors are good hammers, but will crumble in melee. Maybe bring in some solid Hammers, that do reliable damage. I would not go with Bloodthirsters in your composition. Concider Skullgrinder(s), Khorgoraths ( they can chaff & destroy reliably ). Skullreapers are pretty good as hammers. Bullgors don't do the job too, since they get smashed easily.

5* You could, and that's just a bold idea, go with the BoC allegiance. You can spam Betsigors, coming from the sides. You can summon in more Betsigors for Primodial Callpoints. If you don't have the army for that, you're fine with Khorne then.

6* I don't know if Gore Pilgrims wastes your points here. What is the real purpose of it? I guess to have the Banner in range. Personnally, I would surround the Banner with some cheap units like 3,5", so he can't that easily be caught in combat.

That's all I can imagine right now. Hope it helps you. PM me if you are looking for more BoC models!

I'm looking to try a unit of 4 tuskor chariots next time I run brass despoilers. Mainly because they drop to 50pts each then. For the same price as a ghorghon, you get 28 wounds with a 4+ save, in built reroll charges and extra attacks on the charge. I think they could roll a whole flank on their own if they hit something of equivalent cost. 

19 hours ago, fwlr said:

Right. Been sitting on this list for a good while now, but just before I buy the last few things for it, what do people think?

Tyrants - skarbrand, BToIR w amberglaive, BToUF, general with skullshard mantle 1120

Bloodsecrator 140

Priest x2- frenzy, bronzed flesh 200

10 warriors, gorefists 200

2x5 flesh hounds 200

Wrathmongers 140

I have no idea how it exactly works as I don't own it yet, but the basic idea is that I can enjoy casual games and go to tournaments with the sole purpose of KILLING STUFF. Very khorne.

I want skarbrand to kill EVERYTHING. 54 mortal wounds babyyyy.

I've taken the unfettered over the wrath as not only was I over points but his cmd ability is very very attractive.

What do you lot think?

This is similar in some ways, but very different in others to a list I'm happy with. I don't have the bloodsecrator and wrathmongers, instead I have 6 bloodcrushers , 3x5 doggos and the axe and skulls. The idea of giving Skarbrand 3 attacks with Carnage gives me the happies, but between him and the UF hitting and wounding on 2's they clear lines effectively with out needing the buffs.

I do agree on the WoK, I found him to be okay, but was really just taking for Tyrants and didn't take advantage of his abilities so he got dropped in favor of the bloodcrushers to sweep the flanks/distract.

I also think finding the points for the judgements is worth it. Even against non magic armies the skulls have great board presence and can block lanes very effectively.

If you want to go for the 3 attack carnage mode I might suggest 3x5 doggos and use the 100 points on judgements. Keep in mind using those buffs you are basically paying 640 points for Skarbrand (I know there is other utility from those pieces) so make it count.

Sry if this has been asked before, but what are some good/fun 1k~ lists that involve as many bloodletters as possible? Any useful strats for these kind of lists? Also, is it possible to fill the rest of the list with mortals instead of daemon units/heroes.

Hey guys, planning on running this list in our local community league, so my goal is to have fun and maybe still win some games.. most of my opponents are playing pretty strong factions.

What do you guys think of that list, what could I improve?

I went with Skarr, because I like the model so much and I like the concept of returning to the battle :D
Not too sure about the Warshrine, but I think it has a lot of potential in Khorne allegiance.
And I am also not sure about which hero to take as my general and his artefact, I could replace the MLOK with a Lord Of Khorne on Jugg, although I thought the MLOK  CA would be good for the battalion ability.

Enwolved - Allegiance: Khorne -
Slaughterhost: The Goretide

LEADERS
Mighty Lord of Khorne (140) - General - Command Trait : Hew the Foe - Artefact : Gorecleaver
Bloodsecrator (140) - Artefact : Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodstoker (80)
Aspiring Deathbringer (80) - Bloodaxe and Wrath Hammer
Skarr Bloodwrath (120)
Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

UNITS
10 x Blood Warriors (200) - Gorefists 
5 x Blood Warriors (100) - Gorefists
5 x Blood Warriors (100) - Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (70) - Meatripper Axes
10 x Skullreapers (360)
 1 x Chaos Warshrine (160) - Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

BATTALIONS
Bloodmad Warband (160)

Judgements
 Wrath-Axe (60)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

TOTAL: 1980/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 134

Hey guys, 

Tomorrow I am going to a mini tournament, and I need to know what sorta army I should use. The following is what I have, and I would truly appreciate it if I could have one army list by tomorrow.

What I have =

Bloodthirster of Unfretted Fury 300

Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne 80

Chaos Sorcerer Lord 160

Bloodletters x10 110

Blood Crushers x3 140

Skull Cannon 140

x5 Chaos Warriors 90

x5 Chaos Warriors 90

x5 Chaos Knights 160

x1 Chaos Chariot 80

(I could buy a Chaos Lord on Daemonic Steed 140)

What I could borrow =

Bloodsecrator 140

Mighty Lord of Khorne 140/Korghus Khul 180

Slaughterpriest Sword and Hammer thingy 100

x10 Bloodreavers

x5 Bloodwarriors

Thanks for the help!

5 hours ago, Enwolved said:

Hey guys, planning on running this list in our local community league, so my goal is to have fun and maybe still win some games.. most of my opponents are playing pretty strong factions.

What do you guys think of that list, what could I improve?

I went with Skarr, because I like the model so much and I like the concept of returning to the battle :D
Not too sure about the Warshrine, but I think it has a lot of potential in Khorne allegiance.
And I am also not sure about which hero to take as my general and his artefact, I could replace the MLOK with a Lord Of Khorne on Jugg, although I thought the MLOK  CA would be good for the battalion ability.

Enwolved - Allegiance: Khorne -
Slaughterhost: The Goretide

LEADERS
Mighty Lord of Khorne (140) - General - Command Trait : Hew the Foe - Artefact : Gorecleaver
Bloodsecrator (140) - Artefact : Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodstoker (80)
Aspiring Deathbringer (80) - Bloodaxe and Wrath Hammer
Skarr Bloodwrath (120)
Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

UNITS
10 x Blood Warriors (200) - Gorefists 
5 x Blood Warriors (100) - Gorefists
5 x Blood Warriors (100) - Goreaxes
10 x Skullreapers (360)
 1 x Chaos Warshrine (160) - Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

BATTALIONS
Bloodmad Warband (160)

Judgements
 Wrath-Axe (60)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

TOTAL: 1980/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 134

You know what makes a great Khorne Mortal Army? 3 or more Bloodsecrators and 3 or more units of 40 Bloodreavers! 😂 

If you want a pure Khorne army though, a full unit of bloodletters and a bloodthirster would do the trick.

(With the millions of reavers and everything, because the bloodsecrators adding to their attacks, they become soo pissing off.  And the reavers get even more attacks near a bloodsecrator! Hmm 🤔 40 x 4 x 3 x 3 + 3 attacks.)

Edited by DestroyerBirb
Forgot Something

2 minutes ago, DestroyerBirb said:

You know what makes a great Khorne Mortal Army? 3 or more Bloodsecrators and 3 or more units of 40 Bloodreavers! 😂 

If you want a pure Khorne army though, a full unit of bloodletters and a bloodthirster would do the trick.

(With the millions of reavers and everything, because the bloodsecrators adding to their attacks, they become soo pissing off.  And the reavers get even more attacks near a bloodsecrator! Hmm 🤔 40 x 4 x 3 x 3 + 3 attacks.)

Doing the math, and give them meatripper axes, 1443 attacks 4+ 4+ -1 1 will be lethal on even a Volgaroth the Scarred and Skalok the Skull Host of Khorne!

6 hours ago, Icefighter said:

Sry if this has been asked before, but what are some good/fun 1k~ lists that involve as many bloodletters as possible? Any useful strats for these kind of lists? Also, is it possible to fill the rest of the list with mortals instead of daemon units/heroes.

As I told Enwolved, heaps of big maxed out units and bloodsecrators are oop.

Hey!

Are Mighty Skullcrushers any good?

you can make them insanely strong with some of the priest buffs.

they have a really good survival stat for 180 points (especially with bronzed flesh)

they are faster than anything of foot

they hit pretty decent.

experience in running them?

and if you have the time, help me build a good 1k list with them :)

this is my idea

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Banner of Khorne (Artefact): Banner of Rage
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (160)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (360)
- Ensorcelled Axes
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
- Reaver Blades

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 89

feel free too comment how to change it to the better!

Edited by MeSmashDaNoobs

6 hours ago, DestroyerBirb said:

Doing the math, and give them meatripper axes, 1443 attacks 4+ 4+ -1 1 will be lethal on even a Volgaroth the Scarred and Skalok the Skull Host of Khorne!

You can’t stack the totem buff more than once even if it overlaps