Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gaz Taylor

AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Recommended Posts

Well, priests where basically lvl3 wizards that can cast on 75% success chance with no unbind possible. That seems too good to be true. I am ok.

What strikes me hard is that now there are models you can buy a leg, take time to paint but can't actually play. :(

half of the battle plans have strict tight territory where a single scenery can prevent you from ddooping your altar/ loonshrine /fane.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whispersofblood said:

GW said to ignore those restrictions for the time being on their Facebook page.

Yeah, I'm expecting the Altar placement text to overwrite the rules for scenery placement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charleston said:

@medivouk

Daemon Prince and Ghyrstike? I hope you use it to get the axe to 2+/2+ because otherwise there are better artifacts as the DP has alteady +1 to hit.

Also, if you want to use the DP for hero/monster hunting, concider maybe the Blade of Judgement from Ulgu.

I use ghyr strike with hew the foe quite often on the DP It does surprising amounts of damage! 

 

I have looked at both sword of judgement and jade wound thorn on him, but haven't gotten round to enough games with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Galdenistal said:

Yeah, I'm expecting the Altar placement text to overwrite the rules for scenery placement.

There is a section below that in the GHB2019, specifically for faction terrain. It strictly states that faction terrain follows the same rules as generic terrain placement (6" from edges, 6" from other terrain, 3" from markers, if not possible you cannot set it up).

I expect this part to be gone or at least reworked in an FAQ, especially as seemingly we've been told to ignore it (via FB).

To be honest, all this is probably only an issue in pick up games. In tournaments the TOs are in charge of the tables and set them up accordingly and in private games you can easily find common ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently working on the last units to finish the following army list:

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Daemon Prince of Khorne (160)
- General
- Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
9 x Mighty Skullcrushers (540)
- Ensorcelled Axes

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 145

All in all a pretty streightforward list. The Bloodwarriors of Reavers can be flinged into the enemy turn 1 (Movement + 6" run +2x3" Bloodstoker +2W6 Charge) and are supposed to tie them down or to contest any Mission Objectives, dependend on the game.

Turn 2/3 is supposed to get the Skullcrushers into contact. In the best case I can max out their charge damage with some Bloodtithe to charge in my turn, kill a target to get them out of combat, charge again in the enemy hero phase.

Skullreapers and Wrathmongers are there to be utilised in the best way possible, killing some targets with MW´s or supporting other units.

The Priests are supposed to get some buffs and MW´s out. The Daemon Prince is a designated Hero/Monster hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 12:16 AM, Sneeto said:

Reapers will do work, but what would you have doing damage when they are chaffed up or slugging it out? 

 

Edit: consider dropping 100 points of prayers and bringing in 5 hounds or 5 warriors, backed by priests. Hounds will be more killy but the warriors have good staying power. With good placement you can keep priests wholly within 8inch of your altar blasting with blood boil and reaching mid field objectives enemies with the warriors/etc holding the line 

Hmmm.

The whole point of my list is that I do the chaffing-up and choose my targets for the Reapers...

And I think those Judgements are way deadlier than 5 dogs or Warriors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 10:09 AM, Battlefury said:

Could we agree, that different people have different experience, and just because someone might have a use of stuf, others don't see any benefit in, it doesn't mean, that because of that one the others are all wrong?

Can we also agree, that pying money is no authorization at all, to judge any opinion and experience?

Totally agree on the first point.

Regarding the second point, the people who own the website set the rules. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roark said:

Hmmm.

The whole point of my list is that I do the chaffing-up and choose my targets for the Reapers...

And I think those Judgements are way deadlier than 5 dogs or Warriors.

I don't know. The judgements are a little straight random, but if they hit, it is pretty ok.
The dogs are imo the most worthy battleline we got for their 100 points.

But your strategy with chaffing and hammering by Skull Reapers works out pretty good.

Experience I have with it is, that chaffing the enemy in waves makes sense. So like sending in a group of Warriors / dogs and a group of Skull Reapers. It often makes the job. If they would be slain, send in another wave in the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, whispersofblood said:

GW said to ignore those restrictions for the time being on their Facebook page.

I cant seem to locate this.  Was it a reply to someone's comment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MortalRealmMike said:

I cant seem to locate this.  Was it a reply to someone's comment?

Same here. What I really don't like is GW releasing rules and statements all over the place. White Dwarf had rules like Skirmish, now statements at facebook, that noone can find and then erratas very fast after some rules where already remade.

Is a little ranty, but I guess you see what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super random question, has anyone considered using the chaos GA general trait to give out a bubble of battleshock immunity? 

I'm pondering it in a khorne list that uses more std and beasts than bloodbound and deamons, so the slaughterhosts lose some of their value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MortalRealmMike said:

I cant seem to locate this.  Was it a reply to someone's comment?

Yeah it was a reply. I'll see if I can track it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When including a Beast of Chaos hero - Doombull in this case (via Brass Despoilers battalion) , how do you select the artefact?
Do they choose from the BoC book?  

Warscroll gives them  the options of : Saughterhost,  ghb items, and if selected, a realm artefact.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackspine said:

When including a Beast of Chaos hero - Doombull in this case (via Brass Despoilers battalion) , how do you select the artefact?
Do they choose from the BoC book?  

Warscroll gives them  the options of : Saughterhost,  ghb items, and if selected, a realm artefact.

Thanks!

Those three options are correct for the valid atefacts they can take. They do not have the applicable keywords for any of the other BOK artefacts and you cant choose BOC artefacts if you are playing BOK alliance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question -- what is the current conventional wisdom regarding the best sequence breaking Bloodthirster build? The way I see it there are two ways to do it:

1. Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury in any Slaughterhost (probably Reapers), moves between 3.1" and 6" of the enemy so that they can't activate, wait until opponent has exhausted all legal activations and then choose this to pile in and attack.

  • Advantages: you can strap on a useful artefact to either increase combat punch or provide extra mobility. You get access to the strike twice command ability, which is really powerful. You can completely prevent any "strikes at the start of the combat phase" unit from attacking altogether during your turn.
  • Disadvantages: Much more awkward to use against units that don't strike at the start of the combat phase, as you will need more total units in combat than your opponent in order to fully bypass your target's attacks. It also isn't likely to work during your opponent's turn at all unless they make a mistake.

2. Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage in Bloodlords, artefact gives always strike first.

  • Advantages: Strikes first on the opponent's turn except against models that strike at the start of the combat phase.  Insensate Rage is probably better in combat at baseline.
  • Doesn't wholly prevent enemy strike-first models from attacking. Artefact slot is taken up and no double strike command ability. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Quick question -- what is the current conventional wisdom regarding the best sequence breaking Bloodthirster build? The way I see it there are two ways to do it:

1. Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury in any Slaughterhost (probably Reapers), moves between 3.1" and 6" of the enemy so that they can't activate, wait until opponent has exhausted all legal activations and then choose this to pile in and attack.

  • Advantages: you can strap on a useful artefact to either increase combat punch or provide extra mobility. You get access to the strike twice command ability, which is really powerful. You can completely prevent any "strikes at the start of the combat phase" unit from attacking altogether during your turn.
  • Disadvantages: Much more awkward to use against units that don't strike at the start of the combat phase, as you will need more total units in combat than your opponent in order to fully bypass your target's attacks. It also isn't likely to work during your opponent's turn at all unless they make a mistake.

2. Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage in Bloodlords, artefact gives always strike first.

  • Advantages: Strikes first on the opponent's turn except against models that strike at the start of the combat phase.  Insensate Rage is probably better in combat at baseline.
  • Doesn't wholly prevent enemy strike-first models from attacking. Artefact slot is taken up and no double strike command ability. 

 

 

For sequence breaking I think the unfettered is your best bet, however I don't think you can just hold it until your opponent is done unless you also have other units to pile in.  Since your bloodthirster is eligible to pile in you have to activate him when there are no remaining units on your side. Also if your target survives, and hasn't activated yet, they'll be able to activate after you attack since they weren't eligible before but now are since you are within 3. Not likely to happen with two rounds of bloodthirster attacks, but something to keep in mind.

You could also toss on a doppleganger cloak to protect you for one of your opponents turns.

Edited by Grimrock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

For sequence breaking I think the unfettered is your best bet, however I don't think you can just hold it until your opponent is done unless you also have other units to pile in.  Since your bloodthirster can pile in you have to activate him when there are no remaining units on your side. Also if your target survives, and hasn't activated yet, they'll be able to activate after you attack since they weren't legal options before but now are since you are within 3. Not likely to happen with two rounds of bloodthirster attacks, but something to keep in mind.

You could also toss on a doppleganger cloak to protect you for one of your opponents turns.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to communicate with the whole "you need more units in combat than your enemy has" in order to exhaust is activations. But now that I go back and check the core rules you are correct insofar as your opponent still gets to pick his unit and fight after your bloodthirster does. Passing doesn't end your combat participation, just allows your opponent to pick again. So the value here is really quite limited -- it doesn't even really allow you to break sequence except against things that strike first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to communicate with the whole "you need more units in combat than your enemy has" in order to exhaust is activations.

Oh, haha sorry I missed that in the disadvantages. Glazed right over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can i ask if anyone had a good suggestion on what boxes to buy to get started with blades of khorne ? i have looked abit at their units and like their style altho abit limited in paint styles.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nakomat said:

can i ask if anyone had a good suggestion on what boxes to buy to get started with blades of khorne ? i have looked abit at their units and like their style altho abit limited in paint styles.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Unfortunately I haven't played any games yet since the new battletome came out so I'll leave that to some more experienced generals.

In regards to paint styles, you can do whatever you want. The classic khorne paint is red/brass but that doesn't limit you at all, I've personally seen white, silver/metallic, black schemes but there is nothing stopping you from painting them blue or pink or orange or whatever else you can come up with.

They're your guys, don't let anyone tell you how to paint them.👍

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, nakomat said:

can i ask if anyone had a good suggestion on what boxes to buy to get started with blades of khorne ? i have looked abit at their units and like their style altho abit limited in paint styles.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

The start collecting boxes are both good.  

If you plan to go mortals then the goreblade box with the blood secrator and khorgorath is vital as several  models are exclusive to it. If you are going daemons you can probably skip it.

If going daemons then wrath and rapture is good. You may want the start collecting too but cannon and throne are meh. Regardless you will want more letter and hounds.

After that it depends if you are going Mortal or daemon. If you can find it then start collecting blood bound is vital for a mortal army, otherwise get a box of blood warriors, wrath mongers and 2 priests to add as well as alter and judgements. Daemons then blood thirsters and more letters and hounds are what you need

of course daemons will benefit from blood secrator and priests so you will likely want to pick them up regardless

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last two weeks I have had two games using Tyrants of Blood. My initial thought was I would really want to have the Crimson Crown on Unfettered fury for the 6" pile in command savings. In my mind I imagined using this every turn and though it would pay for itself. The first game was against BCR so they are coming at me anyway, but even in that game I found it was using more just because I could and didn't need it. My most recent game against the new Ironjaws I did not take it an instead took the Amberglave on Insensate Rage for +1 to hit and +1" range.  With Reapers and Killing frenzy this guy being able to pile in and attack twice with 2's to hit, re-rolling 1's has seemed much stronger to increase the 6 to wound chance.

Anyone else finding the Crimson Crown to look good on paper, especially on Unfettered Fury or has it been working wonders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, twrightii said:

In the last two weeks I have had two games using Tyrants of Blood. My initial thought was I would really want to have the Crimson Crown on Unfettered fury for the 6" pile in command savings. In my mind I imagined using this every turn and though it would pay for itself. The first game was against BCR so they are coming at me anyway, but even in that game I found it was using more just because I could and didn't need it. My most recent game against the new Ironjaws I did not take it an instead took the Amberglave on Insensate Rage for +1 to hit and +1" range.  With Reapers and Killing frenzy this guy being able to pile in and attack twice with 2's to hit, re-rolling 1's has seemed much stronger to increase the 6 to wound chance.

Anyone else finding the Crimson Crown to look good on paper, especially on Unfettered Fury or has it been working wonders?

It depends on your army composition. For you, with most of your points being in Bloodthirsters the extra pile-in range doesn't matter that much unless you're coming across an opponent using The Activation Wars™ (ie fight before anything else can), then it really matters. 

In other lists, where you have units with big footprints, it matters way more. For example, I was able to get nearly an entire unit of Bloodcrushers to attack a Ghoul King on Terrorgheist after they charged him with the command ability, and shift around way more Bloodletters and therefore get more attacks in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AresX8 said:

It depends on your army composition. For you, with most of your points being in Bloodthirsters the extra pile-in range doesn't matter that much unless you're coming across an opponent using The Activation Wars™ (ie fight before anything else can), then it really matters. 

In other lists, where you have units with big footprints, it matters way more. For example, I was able to get nearly an entire unit of Bloodcrushers to attack a Ghoul King on Terrorgheist after they charged him with the command ability, and shift around way more Bloodletters and therefore get more attacks in.

Agreed, and good thoughts, I hadn't thought about the bigger units. Still though, what I found was when I did want it, it was really only for one turn, and I'm happy to spend the command point in exchange for much more reliability on insensate rage going ham. He had three rounds of combat in a row of blowing up, or rather 2 rounds with a double activation as he consistently is hitting 5 out of 5 with Amberglave and Killing frenzy.

Counterpoint to my own point though, I did also have a unit of 6 Bloodcrushers and I could only get 4 in when counter charged because of the footprint and how far the two on the end had to travel. Counter point to my counterpoint on my point though they were sweeping the flank and outside of 16" anyway =D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...