AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 hours ago, PivotalCar said:

I own around 1,000 points of mortals so far and have just finished painting my bloodreavers. I am looking to buy a bloodthirster. Do these guys have a place in a mortals list and if not, are they worth getting just for the painting challenge and how cool they look? Cheers!

You won’t regret having one, either in the starting line up or as a summon. Just be aware it can be squishy, I have had it one shotted off the board before now.

They are pretty easy to summon, 8 tithe can be got pretty easily even at 1k. So you could spend the ~300 points on other units and summon him in. 

To summon that guy would imo not be the best choice, though.

Ganing 8 BT points can become a huge test of faith. Destroying 8 units, either feind or enemy, will most certainly manouver you in a position, where you don't have any heroes anymore, or your army is already shredd into pieces.

For the beginning I would concider to have him in the regular army list, until you feel that comfortable, that you would summon him via BT points.

• Like 1

Just had a game agains some Slaanesh random Scum.

I had 

Aspiring Deathbringer general with reroll charge bubble

Exalted DB with +2 attacks

3 priests

1Bloodsecrator with banner of wrath

5 warriors + 2X5 hounds

3X5 Skullreapers

2X5 wrathmongers

Slaughterborn bataillon

Wrath axe and bloodicon

10 drops

He had a godseeker host

2 Flying Keeper of secrets

1 exaltedchariot with hero

1 epitome

3X5 Helstrider

10 seekers

umbral spellportal

Cavalcade and sybarite bataillon

2 drops

We where playing  on gift from the heaven in Ghyran.

I packed everything in the middle, he gave me the first turn. I casted my judgement to block paths and blessings and pass the turn. He advanced at 16.1" from me and ended his. I won the rollof and gave him the double. He charged with his keeper and his seekers on my left flank, killing a unit of warriors and reapers in one strike. Then i countercharged and killed them all with 5 reapers and 5 mongers (with 2 or 3 extra attacks) amazing. But i failed to catch my objectives that they where sitting on. I got the double,s  made a long 11 charge with hounds and seized both objectives. Then he took his turn and made something i didnt expected, summoned a chain of heralds on foot to summon a pack a daemonette on my obejectives (but he failed to have more than my 3 reapers) he got the double, seized both objectives turn4 summoned another keeper and exalted chariot and smashed me a little. The rest of the game was an exchange of  objectives  and i happened to win by a single point.

Afterthoughts : Keepers are scary veeery scary. Having your whole army striking last  after the ennemy striked you twice is no fun. The epitome is crucial too in this gameplan. We counted that he played with 3200 army points with his summonings vs my 2140 worth. That seemed a bit unfair. Fighting slaanesh can't be done like any other random army, you have to have a very specific plan, sceens and patience.

About my own army : Slaughterborn was valuable. Very. Was it worth an extra unit of reapers/skullcrusher? ....mmmmmh. Dunno. The effect is passive, unconditionnal, reduces drops and adds an artifact. It indeniably saved my ass against Rend1 daemonettes/Seekers. What was the most valuable was all the retaliation i had in the army. I failed to rememebr to activate the Tithe N6 when i needed and that would have been muuuch less close. The exalted with spears and his 11 attacks was not the tax i thought he would be but defenitely not a suport piece as his useless command ability suggest. What i missed was speed. Mov5 models are nice but this is where hounds and juggernauts really shines. To fight slaanesh i really feel that working on long range dammage is a key. I summoned a Canon dut it did nothing, contrary to priests. I almost feel i need 5 priests and a bloodsecrator for our heroes.

Edited by kozokus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another report from the front lads. This time scorched earth in a crowded desert city. (cool map, but would never be seen in a tournament ) He was using the new kurnoth hunters warscroll with the arch revenant. I wanted to give the skull reaper horde another chance before I changed it. Not exactly an army people are afraid of, but it might offer some insight. I'm not going to go into exacting detail on this one though as it was fast, and I'm tired.

The Armies:

Spoiler

Khorne : (same as last time)1980pts, skullfiend tribe

- Slaughterborn battalion: exalted with spear + mark of the destroyer, 2x5 skullreapers, 10 skullreapers, 3x5 blood warriors

- Blood Thirster of insensate rage with crown cleaver + general

- Blood secrator

- 2x5 wrathmongers

Slyvaneth : ????pts, 

- Big outcast battalion :

Arch revenant with a healing command trait and resurrection artifact

9 kurnoth hunters with greatswords

3x3 kurnoth hunters with greatbows

4x5 spite revenants 

2 branchwytches ( the summoners) - one had an artifact that I don't remember

Terrain: There were streets and  open fire lanes in the center but he clogged up the major arterial way with his wildwoods by the edge of deployment. I set up my altar to block more line of sight 

Deployment:  All the kurnoths hung out in the center with the revenant and a wytch wile 2 spite squads grabbed each objective with the last wytch on my left. The thirster and  5 reapers, 5 mongers, and 5 blood warriors sat on the right, sitting next to the wildwoods.  I dropped the rest of my army in an extended line, covering both the center and left objectives. 

The Battle: 

I won the roll off to pick sides and chose to steal his wildwoods. No free dryads for you! Also blocking line of sight from his shooters. and my opponent chose to go first. The battalion let him teleport a unit (6" away) and move 3 others, so he teleported the melee kurnoths directly in front of my right hand "castle" (more like a fort)  and moved the shooters up. The revenant then chased the melee hunters and the shooters did 5 wounds on the blood warriors guarding the big block of reapers. Charge phase the hunters make it to the mongers (who were guarding the flank of the thirster) but most get stuck on the blood warriors in front. He uses the revenant to give them +1 attack. 4 easily kill the blood warriors who do a total of 3 wounds back. 1 only gets 1 attack  through on the reapers doing 2 damage and 2 of them kill 3 mongers who finish off the wounded one. In return the thirster does 8 mortal wounds and 7 damage on the unit of hunters while the reapers + mongers kill all but one who is kept around with a command point. That 1 dude also did that evocator thing of mortals, but only in 1" and only 1 dice per model in the hunter unit, killing a reaper. Objectively worse than evocators, but still new. My turn I move up the big castle (who gets clogged on the streets/altar/buildings) who ran because they weren't going to get in range this turn. Plus he had a shooting line I didn't want to let him get the chance to unload shots with. Call it a gamble.  The right hand reapers fell back towards the spites and the thirster finished the last hunter. 

We rolled off and I won it, choosing to go first. The thirster went after the enemy general and the big reaper blob moved on the shooting kurnoths with the small unit of reapers + blood warriors threatened the left objective. It was at this point that I overestimated the reapers. Or underestimated the durability of the hunters. The big blob charged 2 hunter units and captured the center objective. They outran the mongers and were only getting +1 attack. 4 reapers did 6 mortals and 1 wound to the first unit while the 3 did 5 mortals to the  second unit. In return they killed 1 reaper with stomps. Meanwhile the arch revenant only got 1 attack through and did 2 wounds to the thirster who promptly did 15 wounds back, but she resurrected with 3 wounds on the spot. I expected him to retreat her onto one of my objectives, but the only ones who moved up were the spites who just sort of sat there warding off my attacks from his objectives. The great bows killed 2 reapers and injured another. In combat the revenant went first and did 6 wounds to the thirster, while the reapers killed 1 hunter form the first unit and did 2 mortals to the other. The wounded reaper was finished by stomps and the revenant paid for her temerity. I won the roll off for turn  and my opponent decided to call it.

That was a weird one. My opponent essentially threw himself upon my sword turn 1 and whilst I didn't quite manage to finish him there that was 600pts to kill blood warriors and tie up my smaller block for a turn. Losing the roll offs is what really finished him though. If it manages to get through the bows can be nasty, but with hitting on 4s they're not a great choice.  I suggested using the second kurnoth bunch as scythes and playing less aggressively. Castling and all that. We'll see how that goes, he's sticking with the woods for a while yet. The mortals from the hunters are nice (for them), but not really game making, even with the bonus ones from the greatswords. Side note: Holy cow! my opponent only failed 2 saves from all of my big unit's attacks over 2 combat phases. Those were some hot dice.  As for my thoughts on my army... I was really missing the priests this game. Getting trapped by that hunter was bad and being able to snipe things with them would have been nice.  The thirster feels so vulnerable, I'm certain that if those 3 hunters had made it to him he would have been at death's door. Need to keep him wrapped. The reapers did a fine job, but I need to limit my reliance on them. Everything else worked as expected. I was a little surprised that I managed to keep that re-roll 1 aura from the enemy heroes who were hiding (mostly). Side note: that arch revenant is not to be trifled with. -2 rend always hurts.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, PivotalCar said:

Do these guys have a place in a mortals list and if not, are they worth getting just for the painting challenge and how cool they look? Cheers!

They definitely aren't useless to mortals. you just won't be using those command abilities on much. It's why the insensate rage is a popular choice of thirster. Besides being the least points he doesn't make you feel like you're wasting the command ability he has by not using it. Plus explosions. Explosions are always nice. The others aren't bad choices either, I just feel like you have to consider bringing more daemons if you're using them. Even if it's just more thirsters.

21 hours ago, Battlefury said:

For the beginning I would concider to have him in the regular army list, until you feel that comfortable, that you would summon him via BT points.

Agreed. The only times I've summoned one, the game had been decided by then and he really didn't add much. Could be worth summoning if you're on a hero capturing scenario and happen to have the points. That's rather specific though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MOMUS said:

As the GHB is next month I've just been painting up unfinished units waiting to see what is happening next.

At the moment I'm working on my altar in the same scheme as my army, anyone else painting?

image.jpeg

Just finished the guy on the right. Doing the next one dark skin tones.

20190523_215340.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Is it worth taking a bunch of slaughterpriests so you can cast Bloodboil multiple times to provide ranged damage? 

Yea you can't go wrong with a couple of priests in almost any list, I'm painting up the skulls judgement to give it a few tests.

I actually worry about the priest going up in points in the GHB, the versatility they bring  is really good. I wouldn't mind if they let heralds also have blessings.

Edited by MOMUS
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MOMUS said:

At the moment I'm working on my altar in the same scheme as my army, anyone else painting?

Finishing up my blood warriors. So far 17/30 done. I used skull crusher heads on a unit. Also my heroes are almost complete. Just finishing a base on a skullgrinder. Bloodsecrator and bloodstoker finished. Both alternative priests done. I have 10 wrathmongers and 10 skullreapers on deck next. Then the altar and judgements. Then the bloodthirsters... then 20 reavers 😂

63559C49-AD80-4C78-AE85-D5C4A6BE7310.jpeg

F2C9BDFE-E8ED-47BE-BB53-47E4C50EF2A2.jpeg

3AE01C80-6874-4597-9575-1B0CB459EFAD.png

CB397CCE-A7E3-4F26-B8AD-EAEBDFA7FC15.jpeg

3B178C92-E8A3-4F25-AF99-FEF921D3170A.jpeg

EE158BDE-FA9B-4507-A70B-37FD1358D850.jpeg

Edited by Impa
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

Just now, MOMUS said:

@Impa nice work, really like the scheme and basing!

Thanks! Getting there. I regret painting 30 bloodletters. Wish I spent more time chewing away at my mortals. Skullreapers and wrathmongers are about the same size as a skullgrinder or other equivalent hero. So they’ll take quite some time. Just a wall of grey staring into my soul. Can’t wait to paint up my converted skullreapers though. I think they’re next on my paint list after these last 3 bloodwarriors. 20 painted is probably enough. 

15 minutes ago, MOMUS said:

A unit cannot charge if it ran previously in the same turn.

With Murderlust it could attempt to make a charge move, as far as I'm aware if the unit is wiped before the charge phase you could charge again. Hardly a common situation though.

I'll upload photos of my bloodthirster tomorrow, as I'm just finishing off its base right now. It's an interesting method I've gone for, hope it works...

Overjoyed with how it looks otherwise though, would love to share.

I use this almost everywhere I go, (and this is what I have) and I was wondering if it is a good list and how can I improve it.

Leaders 4

Bloodthirster of Unfretted Fury 300

Bloodmaster, Hearald of Khorne 80

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (Allied) 160

Bloodsecrator (General) 140

Units (3 Battlelines)

5 Chaos Warriors (Marked Khorne) 90 Battleline 1

5 Chaos Warriors (Marked Khorne) 90 Battleline 2

10 Bloodletters 110 Battleline 3

5 Chaos Knights (Marked Khorne) 160

1 Chaos Chariot (Marked Khorne) 80

3 Bloodcrushers 140

1 Skull Cannon 140

Not gonna include the artifacts or anything like that in this list.

In both casual and a mini tournament I entered, I came on top! I mostly versed Nighthaunt, Stormcast Eternals and Skaven reeeeeeeees.

Edited by DestroyerBirb

I recently played a 1250 point 5 round league at my local GW. One of my opponents cancelled at the last minute so I only played 4 games for 2 major wins (over Iron Jaws & Sylvaneth), a minor loss (Stormcast) and a major loss (Tzeentch).

My lone slaughterpriest had blood sacrifce but it was still surprising how I found myself accruing  8 tithe quite quickly and I managed to summon a bloodthirster in 3 out of 4 games with interesting results;

Against Stormcast I got double turned with 2 x ballista, Sequitors and Evocators. The scenario was Blood & Glory (control all 4 objectives for a major win, 3 for a minor, etc) and I  was on course for a major loss as I was almost tabled. The bloodthirster came in, immediately pulversied a Lord Castellant with his flail, then made his charge and killed a unit of Sequitors to take back an objective. He took 10 wounds from the ballistas and died to the Lord Aquilor in the next turn but it meant I held onto the 4th objective for a minor loss, and could have been a draw had the thirster survived til the end. 

Against Sylvaneth we played Scorched Earth and it was a real arm wrestle as he was hitting me with magic, endless spells, Kurnoth bows and the tree lord ancient's missile attack (every time he rolled D6 damage he rolled 6) and there were wyldwoods all over the table. I was slowly winning the battle but summoning the thirster essentially made it a given. He helped me clear out a big unit of dryads and the following turn I summoned a herald off him to claim and burn one of my opponent's objectives. The thirster then finished off the Kurnoths and Branchwych in the back field but the major win was well secured by then. 

Against Tzeentch it was Escalation. My army was not particularly anti-magic focused and he got a lot of spells off. It was a fairly fighty Tzeentch list with lots of Tzangor and Enlightened. An early double turn meant the Tzangor got into my face early and I couldnt recover on points. Plus my slow moving Wrathmongers and Skullreapers were kept out of the fight for too long given they had to start near the back of the table. When the bloodthirster came in he wrecked a couple of Pink Horror units but it was too little too late.

Against Iron Jaws we played border war. I used the ability to fight in the hero phase in my turn, taking damage off his megaboss with my skullreapers before finishing him off later in the combat phase. I was sitting on 2 tithe when he successfully cast Foot of Gork so that was a timely auto unbind. Turn 4 I summoned 5 flesh hounds onto his home objective  but the game was pretty much over by then anyway.

The conceded game counted as a major win to me so I may place 3rd in the league out of 12-14 players. Turning the certain major loss into a minor loss against stormcast could prove crucial to my final standing and that was down to the summoned thirster. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, THUNDERHAMMER said:

Now that weve had a lot of hands on time,  what have been your go to tithe spending. I find myself using the hero phase pile in more than anything else

3pt or 4pt unit summons for objective grabs.  In reapers host they also make nice fire and forget kamikadze unit that comes out of nowhere, charges with a free reroll and then doubletaps for bunch of attacks and dies on backswing.

3pt move is also nice since it gets a unit to somewhere it wouldn't normally be able to get, it's kind of a pseudo summon.

4pt fight I don't use much since it requires a really big unit unit to take advantage of. For example, I don't think it's worth it to use on thirster or any min size unit. Better to summon, you'll get same amount of hurt from summoned unit

2pt spell cancel is situational but when it's good it's really good. Against spell heavy armies they can start killing your stuff in hero phase and give you tithes that you use to save other stuff.

1 hour ago, medivouk said:

I've seen people running archaon in a khorne list, and I'm tempted to pick him up. Does reapers of vengeance let him spend a command point to fight twice? 

And is a unit of varanguard a good buy to go with him?

Yes he can fight twice and gets the re roll 1s as he has the daemon keyword. He also can be buffed by mortal buffs as well. 

Hes very good just his command ability doesn’t do much good anymore as most others have moved away from the hero phase. 

Varanguard also are good but can only fit 3 in as they will have to be allies (he only marks them after the game starts). 

Just wanted to share something...

played a game yesterday with manticore lord goretide General w/ gorecleaver.

He charged a block of 10 enemy blood warriors buffed with bronzed flesh.  Opened my first attack rolls with the lance, 3 hit, roll 5 to wound and two 6 to wound. 

He failed all 3 saves with the -2 rend and took 20 damage from the lance alone, wiping the unit. Didn’t even get to swing my daemon sword or manticore attacks.

how did this work?

base damage 2 on lance + 1 from charge + 1 from hew the foe. -1 rend on charge -1 rend on gorecleaver

4 damage per attack, double when rolling 6’s

8 8 4 = 20!! 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Retro said:

With Murderlust it could attempt to make a charge move, as far as I'm aware if the unit is wiped before the charge phase you could charge again. Hardly a common situation though.

Hmmm yea actually, you could murder lust (charge) a unit of skull-crushers in hero phase, wipe the enemy. Then move and charge a fresh unit.

very situational but sneaky and nasty.

Here's pictures of my finished thirster (taken whilst assembling my next one 😝)

Extremely happy with the result, I've put in a lot of work to achieve it. As the first large model I've ever painted, and I'm 15, I'm amazed at myself :D

IMG_20190527_183340976.jpg.028bb8b96e0cee3319d0501bc5e6e257.jpg

The orange came out lovely. After the first couple coats of troll slayer, I was getting worried. But after the second coat of fire dragon, a wash and careful highlights I'm very pleased. Decided to go with a very bright orange for the veins- lugganath 70- white 30. Makes them visible for sure.

IMG_20190527_183353283.jpg.c5d3c548b0ff5e8ed1d848b2ec388803.jpgthe line highlights on the wings here took... A long time. Looks ok thookh.

IMG_20190527_183328606.jpg.d66f8b95a59fb570b8a136e3c5a4e2aa.jpg

Really happy with he gradient I managed with the horns, and I nailed eyes for once.IMG_20190527_183404869.jpg.33e549e8315f82fe9baa7b0345717a91.jpg

I'm a bit eh on the weapon tbh. I painted this way as it's going to amberglaive/ghyrstike so I wanted a relic kind of feel. I'm happy with what I did with the teeth however, more gradient practice!IMG_20190527_183444251.jpg.ba3b73762b2eede99d993956d95bc2ee.jpg

Im very very happy with the base. It's not what I was going for, I wanted a kind of dried up river effect but I think I overdid the blood. Like usual:/. The corkboard banks I will definitely use in the rest of the army. Possibly with my mortal stuff I could get rid of the blood, say it is coming from the daemons, and add a small trickle of a stream? I don't know. It looks pretty nice though. Plenty of drybrush goes a long way.IMG_20190527_183545044.jpg.dee7b2853c5bb0aabe4f32d91fc2f338.jpg

You can't see it too well in either photo of the base, but I'm really happy with the flames I did, and the kind of osl I tried with their glow. Drybrushing and more drybrushing! Does mean that those skulls in the recesses didn't get lit. Which is annoying. I might just wash them red? 

This will likely be my entry into the everchosen painting competition as well, into the youngbloods category because of my age- I might have a small chance!

Hope you like it! Any good/bad feedback appreciated, it's what I need to improve.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 6