AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

6 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Errata & designers notes updated.

Karank: quarry now reads as enemy hero

Aspiring db is +1 attack to units wholly within 10" of any models using the ability- so think that means no more stacking

Also Aspiring Deathbringer's command ability now triggers at the start of the combat phase so you can't even use it in a list with Archaon who needs your heroes to use the commands in the hero phase for the free triggers.

46 minutes ago, Rumblefish said:

Don't forget that all heroes can pick demonic artefacts now!

Aspiring DB change isn't surprising, will make it a little harder to leverage on Bloodreavers now.

I think we all knew the Karanak clarification was coming.

All heros can can pick demonic artifacts now?? Wow thats awesome! Which update mentions this? 

5 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Subtle use of the word 'any'.  

If your are referring to this from the Designer Commentary, I don't think it applies:

"Q: When the word ‘any’ is used in the criteria for an ability, how many times is that ability applied when the criteria for the ability are fulfilled? For example, if an ability said ‘Add 1 to hit rolls for models that are within 6" of any models with this ability’, would I add 1 to the hit rolls of a model that was within 6" of three models with the ability, or would I add 3 to the hit rolls? A: The word ‘any’ is treated as being synonymous with ‘one or more’. In your example, this means that 1 would be added to the hit rolls, not 3."

I think this would mean that multiple Aspiring Death Bringers using the command ability would not stack. But a single Aspiring Death Bringer using the ability multiple times would stack.  I don't know that it makes sense, but I think that's the correct way to interpret it. Especially now with the new magenta errata regarding using a single command ability multiple times.

You shouldn't have to be a linguist to play this game, but alas........

8 minutes ago, Laier said:

About artefacts. Seems like Daemon Prince of Khorne (+1 to hit) with wings (12"),  Immence Strenght (+1 damage) and Mark of Destroer would be pretty nice:

8 Axe (3+/3+/-2/D3+1) and 6 Claws (3+/3+/-/3) attacks...

I think that Mortals can take damonic gifts, but daemons still can't take mortal artefacts. The FAQ changed only the introduction text of the Artefacts of Power. The Daemonic Gifts on the contrary were changed substantially and are now Artefacts of Power with no keyword requirements (apart from Khorne Hero obviously).

7 hours ago, Karol said:

Ah ok, so are people expected to play all GW games to have fun? I have some anxiety problems, so am not expecting to feel the same way, but how do people go on with their armies being bad or the feat that they may be bad at any moment. And am not claiming that blades are bad, am not good enough player to judge that. Even the thought that maybe someone at GW just decided to not update blades of khorn in the next few years makes me feel a bit sick.

Or is it that people have to love painting or buying AoS books, to feel ok with the hobby, besides the possibility of playing all GW games and being lucky that one of those goes well for the stuff you picked. I have been talking about it with doctor, but she wasn't really happy about me starting that kind of a hobby.

Might be worth pointing out that GW is a company.

Shareholders expect them to turn a coin.

GW pitches itself as a miniatures company primarily- not a games company. Which may seem odd. 

They are here to sell models. 

Have a good ruleset to support that certainly helps having an attractive product.

Historically they have released rules and then youve been stuck with them for better or worse for 3+ years until the next itteration of the game. 

What we have now is a game that is constantly being revised and tweaked so silly broken exploits actually get fixed (eventually).

Imo that defo helps them sell models. Meta constantly changing, game always has something new and interesting to offer. 

From a players perspective we cant have it both ways. 

If youre in the hobby to be a waac player then khorne probably isnt your best bet. Infact being loyal to any faction is the wrong approach- you just go with the best, spend a massive amount on new models and expect to need to buy something completely different by the next tournament. 

You certainly dont need to have all the models or the best models to have fun playing, depending on your attitude, you dont need to win either.

If youve recently started the hobby and want to get straight into full rules matched play, the up front cost for all the books (core/sorcery/ghb) is pretty steep. But two of those youll probably be using for the next 2/3 years. Ghb expect to have to buy a new one every year. 

When aos came out it was all free. Free! Cost for the rules has slowly crept up with needing a battletome for your faction. Then an annual ghb. Now theyve added a spells supplement to that. 

We probably talk about full matched play more than anything on this forum, but there are certainly more ways to play than that if budget/fear of models being nerfed is an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BloodGodWorshipper said:

I think that Mortals can take damonic gifts, but daemons still can't take mortal artefacts. The FAQ changed only the introduction text of the Artefacts of Power. The Daemonic Gifts on the contrary were changed substantially and are now Artefacts of Power with no keyword requirements (apart from Khorne Hero obviously).

Ummm... Seems like not:

"Page 81 – Artefacts of Power Replace the rules introduction for artefacts of power with the following:
‘If a Khorne army includes any Heroes, one may bear one artefact of power from one of the following tables: Murderous Artefacts, Banners of Khorne, Trophies of War, Daemonic Weapons, or Daemonic Adornments.’

Page 83 – Daemonic Gifts Delete the Daemonic Gifts title, introduction and rules paragraphs (Daemonic Gifts are now artefacts of power)."

Looks like now it all merged in one "artefacts of power" block and all Heroes are gain access to all tables.

Nothing has changed regarding artifacts.

The tables still have their restrictions.

The only thing that changed, is that there is only one introduction text instead of two (in the same way other books do it). Somehow two texts were too confusing...

To be honest, the last couple posts about this are hilarious.

Edited by Xasz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xasz said:

Nothing, it's just a text reduction and streamlining for the battletome, but somehow people got the wrong idea. :D

I’m with @Xasz on this one, it doesn’t change the text at the top of the table, which advises WHO can take it. (ie KHORNE HERO and DAEMON)

On other notes they modified the Chaos Spawn in the DoT book to be the “Tzeentch Chaos Spawn” leaving the regular (Slaves to Darkness) Chaos Spawn as the Chaos Spawn. (DoT errata: Pages 75-136 – Chaos Spawn
Change all references to ‘Chaos Spawn’ to ‘Tzeentch Chaos Spawn’ (including the name of the warscroll on page 131).)

Which implies that it’s a valid mortal unit for Khorne (etc.) again from the Grand Alliance:Chaos book. (YMMV, Chaos Spawn offer expires while you wait, our Daemons are standing by ...)

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

On other notes they modified the Chaos Spawn in the DoT book to be the “Tzeentch Chaos Spawn” leaving the regular (Slaves to Darkness) Chaos Spawn as the Chaos Spawn. (DoT errata: Pages 75-136 – Chaos Spawn
Change all references to ‘Chaos Spawn’ to ‘Tzeentch Chaos Spawn’ (including the name of the warscroll on page 131).)

That's good news.

I kinda expect them to add the scroll to the app again with the next update as well.

Edited by Xasz

So, here’s a question:

RAW it looks like a Slaughterpriest in a KHORNE Army can make a prayer cast AND a Blessing cast? Am I reading that right?

“Bloodfuelled Prayers:In your hero phase, a Slaughterpriest can pray to Khorne for aid. Pick one of the prayers on the right, then roll a dice[...]” (Warscroll)

“KHORNE PRIESTS can attempt to bestow their blood blessing in each of your hero phases in addition to any prayers they may know. To do so, roll a dice, adding 1 to the result if the priest slew any enemy models in the previous turn. If the result is 4 or higher, the prayer is answered, and its effect takes place.”

As it isn’t an “instead of any prayers they may know”?

Edited by TheOtherJosh

3 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

So, here’s a question:

RAW it looks like a Slaughterpriest in a KHORNE Army can make a prayer cast AND a Blessing cast? Am I reading that right?

“Bloodfuelled Prayers:In your hero phase, a Slaughterpriest can pray to Khorne for aid. Pick one of the prayers on the right, then roll a dice[...]” (Warscroll)

“KHORNE PRIESTS can attempt to bestow their blood blessing in each of your hero phases in addition to any prayers they may know. To do so, roll a dice, adding 1 to the result if the priest slew any enemy models in the previous turn. If the result is 4 or higher, the prayer is answered, and its effect takes place.”

As it isn’t an “instead of any prayers they may know”?

Yeah you can do both in the hero phase

Edited by TheAdequateWargamer
  • Like 3

Hasn't it always been like that?

FAQ has some cute tweaks, a specific ruling on the MLoK on jugger command ability. 

A hero can use same command ability multiple times but it seems most open for abuse have been individually addressed. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I think that was WFB to AoS! Man I remember top tier Warriors of Chaos. Those giant blocks of Khorne great weapon marauders that were like 7pts a model made everyone go nuts (though that was 7th edition, 8th saw marauders heavily nerfed, but WoC were still overall top-high tier).

Nah mate, we're talking like 15 years ago or more. It was like 5th edition into 6th or something like that.