AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Well when's the GHB coming out? If its around the time of contrast I'm going to be over the moon as that means I can build my force to the GHB and get started painting chaff right away. My bloodthirsters are going to be all done by 'hand' but things like hounds and bloodletters are going to LOVE contrast 

On that note, what feasible changes are you expecting to see for khorne? I don't think many apart from some cost decreases for a handful of units- but which units?

5 hours ago, ChaosLord said:

The really annoying thing about it is that we lose unspent points and they don't.

This has been critiqued since the last battletome came out.

Luckily GW listened and took away the multi-unit summoning from Khorne (and only Khorne) so we'll waste points there too!

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, fwlr said:

On that note, what feasible changes are you expecting to see for khorne? I don't think many apart from some cost decreases for a handful of units- but which units?

Most likely, none.

The battletome is too fresh and the GHB was probably already in the works when it dropped (e.g. potential changes are already in BoK).

The one thing we can hope for, although rather desperately, are changes via the big FAQ in July.

Edited by Xasz

4 hours ago, Xasz said:

Most likely, none.

The battletome is too fresh and the GHB was probably already in the works when it dropped (e.g. potential changes are already in BoK).

The one thing we can hope for, although rather desperately, are changes via the big FAQ in July.

You're assuming GW balanced the new book around 2018 GHB point totals. Is that how GW typically operates? It seems feasible to me that they could have designed the new book in tandem with the new GHB, and thus BoK will be as they truly intended after the new GHB is released. Maybe that's just wishful thinking...

2 minutes ago, ChaosLord said:

You're assuming GW balanced the new book around 2018 GHB point totals. Is that how GW typically operates? It seems feasible to me that they could have designed the new book in tandem with the new GHB, and thus BoK will be as they truly intended after the new GHB is released. Maybe that's just wishful thinking...

No, the latter.

I am assuming that they already have their GHB2019 points, books that are released in proximity to a new GHB are rarely changed if at all. At least as far as I am aware of it.

So we can now ally FEC & Fyreslayers except runefathers and dragons/gheists.
All usual ally limitations apply and you pay 1 CP turn 1 for it.

Thoughts?

Having a deepstrikeable brick of dwarves is something we can't have normally. And they shoot.

From FEC I'm interested in Crypt flayers. They are fast and don't need other FEC stuff to work, they cost 160pt which isn't a very occupied spot in Khorne.

The ghoul king can be used to cast cogs and summon a chaff unit (yay blood points) for objective grabs.

36 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

So we can now ally FEC & Fyreslayers except runefathers and dragons/gheists.

Rule source for this?

EDIT: nvm found it. Forbidden Power, so there is a good chance it will be ignored for matched play and tournaments (as it should be).

Edited by Xasz

Looking to do a monster mash that's not FEC and thirsters seem baller thoughts on this list for a semi-competitive list

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords

Leaders
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst 
- Artefact: Halo of Blood 
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)
- Artefact: Khartoth the Bloodhunger 
Skulltaker (120)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)

Battalions
Tyrants of Blood (140)
Murderhost (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 117

1 hour ago, LordDrakonus said:

Looking to do a monster mash that's not FEC and thirsters seem baller thoughts on this list for a semi-competitive list

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst 
- Artefact: Khartoth the Bloodhunger 
Skulltaker (120)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)

Battalions
Tyrants of Blood (140)
Murderhost (160)

Wounds: 117

Looks pretty decent for mono daemons I guess, but your lack of +1 attacks here is killer. Thid especially hurts the bloodletters, making them next to useless really (espesh as bloodlords)

First thing I'd do, drop myrderhost. Pretty bad for 160 tax for your chaff. Way better options that that, and imo drop the letters too.

Then, I'd swap the second insensate for skarbrand OR, probably better, an unfettered. The insensate needs to be hitting on 3s, or be rerolling to hit. WoKBT does this, or put the relic from tyrants on him (ghyrstike or amberglaive, choose a realm)

The difference here between bloodlords and skullreapers is pretty crucial. If you do swap for an unfettered, you can pretty much fight at the start anyway by using some clever positioning. Move up to within 6 of the units you want to charge with all three thirsters, and trigger his ability so they can pile into combat. This lets them in effect fight at the start, as there is no combat until after all three have struck as there was noone in combat. Then, as skullreapers, you can fight twice with them too.

You definitely NEED a source of +1 attack. A bloodsecrator, wrathmongers, both. Your choice probably ends up with your battleline choice and remaining points, as 2x5 of wrathmongers is much better.

After that, a slaughterpriest or two is also crucial. Access to judgements for MWs and board control, MWs himself, buff your units, get to bring free rerolls to pray in the altar. +1 sv on the thirster you need to save or blood warriors or anything for that matter is magnificent, +1 to hit on the insensate is very good. More chances for 6s to wound is lovely.

For the third battleline, as hounds are great, personally I would use BWs. They create an anvil for your buffing characters or mongers to hide/fight from behind, and love to die- but are hardy. Bloodletters are supposedly a glass hammer, just like the bloodthirsters are already.

So: no murderhost, thus no letters or skulltaker

Different thirsters

+1 attack

Slaughterpriest(s)

Battleline other than bloodletters

Should then operate very well.

However, if you're looking for full daemons, an alternative is to just bumrush with tyrants- unfettered insensate and skarbrand, then a blood hunt with the WoKBT for four :D

• Thanks 1

I've got a game vs a new player at our club who plays stormcast. I'm planning on running a beasts/deamons list that's not super smashface. I'm debating reapers of vengeance or maybe just no slaughterhost for the following:

[Spoiler/]

Doombull of Khorne (120)
- General
- Trait: not sure
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- Artefact: not sure
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Artefact: The Crimson Plate 
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
10 x Bloodletters (110)
10 x Bloodletters (110)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
10 x Bestigors of Khorne (120)
10 x Bestigors of Khorne (120)
6 x Bullgors of Khorne (320)
1 x Tuskgor Chariots of Khorne (60)
1 x Tuskgor Chariots of Khorne (60)
Ghorgon of Khorne (200)
Brass Despoilers (190)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128[/spoiler]

Any suggestions on what artifacts and traits to take?

Edited by medivouk
Spoiler tags
  • Like 1

@fwlr Thank for the help! I've decided to go with the second option BUM RUSH!

Leaders
Skarbrand (400)
- General
- Artefact: Harvester of Skulls 
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)
Karanak (140)

Battleline
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Battalions
Tyrants of Blood (140)
Blood Hunt (120)

Wounds: 91

39 minutes ago, LordDrakonus said:

@fwlr Thank for the help! I've decided to go with the second option BUM RUSH!

Leaders
Skarbrand (400)
- General
- Artefact: Harvester of Skulls 
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)
Karanak (140)

Battleline
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Battalions
Tyrants of Blood (140)
Blood Hunt (120)

Wounds: 91

Awesome man I hope you enjoy it!

Just a couple things with that specific iteration of quad thirster list- the first being you need to switch from bloodlords :D

skullreapers here is far more crucial because as the list is 100% daemons, every unit is eligible to fight twice. I assure you it will be vital to success, for example used on skarbrand during his first round of combat- a guaranteed 16(!) Mortal wounds is fantastic, and he benefits massively from the second fight. (And, personally, I really like the 'charred limbs' look of the skullreapers with their blackened arms and legs, if you can get a gradient going with stippling or glazing it looks awesome.

Also, the general trait + skullreapers relic on the WoK makes him an anti-magic powerhouse. So switch to skullreapers, and give the WoK the compulsory stuff as he takes it well.

The two extra battalions net you two more artefacts as well- one for each of the other thirsters.

Here is a choice of realm (if you want the best combo with the insensate rage thirster)- do you want to come from realm of life or beasts? As you were looking for a monster mash list, the realm of beasts suits well. So give him the realm only artifact amberglaive for +1 to hit and +1 range on his weapon. This lets him fight over units, and makes him far more reliable as now he always hit 3+rr1s, far more reliable than 4+rr1s. The difference is very tangible, hitting on 4s suuuucks.

Now for the second artifact on the unfettered. personally I would go for the one that lets you, at the start of the combat phase, fight on a 4+. This, combined with his pile in ability, and tyrants of blood, means on a 4+(with positioning) you fight before everything else with skarbrand, the insensate and the unfettered without needing to charge (by using the method I outlined in my last post). This opens up some very very potent combos available for the list, without missing out on fighting twice.

Again, hope this helps. Enjoy the list! No idea how well it would perform, but definitely fun rushing 4 bloodthirsters. Considering getting it myself actually....

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fwlr said:

Awesome man I hope you enjoy it!

Just a couple things with that specific iteration of quad thirster list- the first being you need to switch from bloodlords :D

skullreapers here is far more crucial because as the list is 100% daemons, every unit is eligible to fight twice.

Assume you meant to say Reapers of Vengeance with the command ability Leave None Alive.

Quick question with respect to the rules and synergy - one of the Khorne prayers allows you to inflict D3 Mortal Wounds on a friendly unit in exchange for a Blood Tithe point.

If used against Slaves to Darkness Chaos Warriors, can I get the point and potentially deny the damage using the Runic Shield save?

8 minutes ago, Snakeb1te said:

Quick question with respect to the rules and synergy - one of the Khorne prayers allows you to inflict D3 Mortal Wounds on a friendly unit in exchange for a Blood Tithe point.

If used against Slaves to Darkness Chaos Warriors, can I get the point and potentially deny the damage using the Runic Shield save?

Yes, a Chaos Warshrine will also help you out too.

I own around 1,000 points of mortals so far and have just finished painting my bloodreavers. I am looking to buy a bloodthirster. Do these guys have a place in a mortals list and if not, are they worth getting just for the painting challenge and how cool they look? Cheers!

12 minutes ago, PivotalCar said:

I own around 1,000 points of mortals so far and have just finished painting my bloodreavers. I am looking to buy a bloodthirster. Do these guys have a place in a mortals list and if not, are they worth getting just for the painting challenge and how cool they look? Cheers!

I've had some good games with a wrath of khorne thirster regardless of composition. It's a good general and  hits like a truck, especially with reapers or bloodlords. Kinda squishy though so you need to be careful with him. Insensate should be good too, but I've never run one.