AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

According to the calculations a Daemon Prince of Khorne kitted out as the General with Hew the Foe (+1 damage) with the Deathdealer Artifact (-1 rend to one of the users melee weapons) with a killing frenzy buff in addition to Wrathmonger and Bloodsecrator support can push out about 15.5 expected wounds all by himself against a save roll of 5 with 6 attacks (2rr1/3/-2/1D3+1) then 5 attacks (2rr1/3/-1/3).

That’s pretty killy 👀 Although he gets less Killy obviously as they get more defensive buffs, such as re-roll 1’s or all saves, or 3+ or 4+ or 6+ feel no pain or whatever. 

8 hours ago, ChaosUndivided said:

I do have to say tho he feels very over costed due to the fact that he pretty much either needs a command trait + artifact or dedicated buff support (which he will undoubtedly be much faster than) just to be the killing machine you need him to be at that point level. It felt like a drain of resources to devote so much to just him.

I think the fully invested Mantilord (as Goretide general) is more than twice as good as a fully invested Juggerlord or Mighty Lord, and he's less than twice the cost (I still don't get why they raised the points on those two guys).

I also think you should play him at his best at least once. ;-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sneeto said:

Can a chaos lord on manticore take the gorecleaver? Azyr app isn’t letting him.

its not always right but my thinking is yes..

hes mortal with Khorne Keyword so I don’t see why he wouldnt

Yes, he can. Could work well with the flail (6 base attacks, damage 2 becomes damage 4 on 6s to wound). I'm still pretty convinced that Runic Blade / Dimensional Blade + Daemon Blade is consistently the nastiest.

Edited by Roark

6 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

According to the calculations a Daemon Prince of Khorne kitted out as the General with Hew the Foe (+1 damage) with the Deathdealer Artifact (-1 rend to one of the users melee weapons) with a killing frenzy buff in addition to Wrathmonger and Bloodsecrator support can push out about 15.5 expected wounds all by himself against a save roll of 5 with 6 attacks (2rr1/3/-2/1D3+1) then 5 attacks (2rr1/3/-1/3).

That’s pretty killy 👀 Although he gets less Killy obviously as they get more defensive buffs, such as re-roll 1’s or all saves, or 3+ or 4+ or 6+ feel no pain or whatever. 

The prince is a ‘hidden’ gem in the army. He is especially good with blade of judgement and sent as a hero/behemoth hunter. As it’s still an exploding 6 for the D6 MW it can go off on a 4 plus reroll 1 for the locus. If he swings first then what ever he attacks is deleted.

Plus at 160 pts I am not too worried if he dies, unlike a thirster 

Another option is jadewound thorn which a MW on a 6+ in addition to damage, which with +1 damage is pretty nasty esp vs hordes. 

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Battlefury said:

@XaszApparently you didn't use the altar, did you?

What is concidered to actually be better? Gore Fists, or Dual Welded Axes on the Blood Warriors?

I really don't know. Since they are an anvilo unit, Gore Fists would technically be the logic choice, but only a 16,67% chance to deal a MW to the enemy.

Why wouldn't I use the altar? Not sure how you got that impression.

That one game was just incredible bad luck, sometimes you do not roll 5s for the axe.

The axes vs gore fists debate pops up about every 10-30 pages and down the line they are about even but do different things (the debate always ends inconclusive but fills a couple pages nonetheless). Personally, I prefer Gore Fists as they provide mortal wounds and look cooler imo. I'm just testing one unit of axes for my slingshot Blood Warriors as I might want the extra punch but the difference between both units is not really noticeable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

How does Daemon Prince work? We can take him without him being an ally. He is literally a Daemon. He can be assigned as dedicated to Khorne. This does not give him the Khorne keyword I imagine? 

How does he interact with our army? Can he take Khorne DAEMON HERO artifacts? Can he be buffed at all by things that effect DAEMONS  or KHORNE like Bloodsecrator or Wrathmongers? 

100% yes to this.  Thankfully within the Core Rules they clarify that a unit that is able to be given a Keyword during setup is part of your allegiance - so that includes the Daemon Prince, Chaos Lord on Manticore - in fact most of the Slaves to Darkness items.  Varanguard sadly can't be as they gain their keyword using a different mechanism.  From the aspect of artefacts and buffs, he's part of the army and has the right keywords so yes to most of it!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Do you guys think Goretide Slaughterborn offers way more than Skulltake with Skullfiend? 

Sorry man but yeah. Atleast Slaughterborn. I was in team Skulltake in the old book as well and back then it was the only half-ok option compared to Gore Pilgrims. I think we're still stuck in that mindset. Skulltake is arguably better now than before (or actually I do miss those Khorgie attacks), but the whole battalion hangs on keeping a 12" bubble together whereas Slaughterborn is a passive buff which is also a great one. The Skulltake batallion will generate 5-8 extra wounds in a game on a good day, whereas Slaughterborn will have a drastic impact on our survivability.

On the Skullfiend vs. Goretide issue I'm not sure. Initially I was team Skullfiend as it's much closer to my army fluffwise, but at the same time the rules don't offer much for my army (I only run 2 Khorgies) beside the hit re-rolls. I think I've yet to use the command ability or get the extra bloodtithe, and the artifact is the same as Mark of the Destroyer.  Compare that to getting a great movement boost for our anvil, and also getting re-rolls to wound which we don't have much of at all in the new book.

That said, I've only played with Skullfiend (5 games) so far, and may be overrating Goretide.

Edited by Bjornas
  • Like 3

I love my daemon prince. Just hang back and wait for your time to strike and he usually stomps the daylight out of something. Just gotta be careful of counter attacks. But if he's left to his own devices he can swing into the enemy backline and take out support heroes or ranged units while your main force locks down the frontlines to keep him free. He's won me games this way. Almost tempted to give him something that doles out extra blood tithe because with the +1 damage he usually overkills heroes anyway. The claws is more of a backup if the axe whiffs in most cases xD

Guys,  i see you talk about hammers and anvils and things like that. It seems to me that you're using technical words so...

do you have any glossary to lend me so i can keep up with what you are saying (and also understand why there are unit with a particular purpose, etc)? :)

7 minutes ago, Saddy4 said:

Guys,  i see you talk about hammers and anvils and things like that. It seems to me that you're using technical words so...

do you have any glossary to lend me so i can keep up with what you are saying (and also understand why there are unit with a particular purpose, etc)? :)

This should give you an idea :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_and_anvil

Edited by Bjornas

7 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Turns out a Daemon Prince with Ghyrstrike is insanely killy... 

All your Daemon Prince talk had me look at him for the first time in months.

And damn does he do a lot for 160 points, his biggest drawback IMO compared to a Bloodthirster is the lack of a command ability; he's simply a beatstick, but a fast one too. Definitely worth considering and building around him.

EDIT: If you take him as a Bloodlords General and give him Wings he moves 16" and re-rolls failed charges, that's stupid fast!

Edited by AresX8
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Xasz said:

Played another game with Mortal Khorne yesterday.

Same list as a couple pages ago.

Do you think 2x5 skullreapers are enough damage?  Should they maybe be 2x10? The idea is that taking more reapers may be just better than trying to improve them with mongers, aspiring, etc. since they already have everything.

I was feeling similar. Reapers are our absolute mathematically best hammer unit, slaughterborn is the best battalion for them. Presenting a wave of warriors forces opponent to commit hard to killing them, then you kill whatever he commited with reapers.

34 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

All your Daemon Prince talk had me look at him for the first time in months.

And damn does he do a lot for 160 points, his biggest drawback IMO compared to a Bloodthirster is the lack of a command ability; he's simply a beatstick, but a fast one too. Definitely worth considering and building around him.

EDIT: If you take him as a Bloodlords General and give him Wings he moves 16" and re-rolls failed charges, that's stupid fast!

The prince is fantastic for 160 points; his drawback is save and 8 wounds on a behemoth. So you need to time and position him right.

My prince has been MVP a number of times, in the last few games he has one shotted a black coach, manfred and a zombie dragon in consecutive turns.

Some of the new daemon buffs and use of the tithe table make him even better.

His lack of command ability is actually no bad thing, if he goes down then it won’t affect the performance of the rest of the army.

Edited by Praecautus

I'm very tempted as a completely for fun  general trying the hilarity of a Goretide Skullgrinder with the Gorecleaver.  Hew the foe would bring him to 4 damage at -2 rend and a six would turn it into 8 damage 😄  I know he's highly impractical as far as speed, defense, wound count goes but once he got into a frontline it would be a glorious mess!

Edited by Gash Bauer
addition

Gotta get that demon prince. But the model is soooo ugly XD

Maybe I am gonna take Be'lakor instead. Or I am gonna built a unique one, wouldn't ne the first time to do stuff like that.

Concider him as allied, too!
That healing buff is pretty neat, and can come in very handy.
Combine him with a force of single unit Khorgoraths and watch the enemies face by all that healing stuff. That's gotta be funny.

Idea behind that:

Single Khorgoraths are goin to engage single enemy units. So those are gonna split their A to them. Result will be, that they will for sure not slay any Khorgie in combat. Thos are gonna pile in and hit them one after the other, each one healing a wound. Buffs are not needed on them, but on the demon prince as the ultimate Beatstick in that combo!

When you ally him, think about the other keywords & buffs he could get!

Edited by Battlefury

16 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Maybe I am gonna take Be'lakor instead. Or I am gonna built a unique one, wouldn't ne the first time to do stuff like that.

Combine him with a force of single unit Khorgoraths and watch the enemies face by all that healing stuff. That's gotta be funny.

Idea behind that:

Single Khorgoraths are goin to engage single enemy units. So those are gonna split their A to them. Result will be, that they will for sure not slay any Khorgie in combat. Thos are gonna pile in and hit them one after the other, each one healing a wound. Buffs are not needed on them, but on the demon prince as the ultimate Beatstick in that combo!

Who are you calling ugly!? 

88E8C432-77D7-477B-AB39-3736955A5EA6.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

Idea behind that:

I use an old tiny bloodthirster. From 6th ed fantasy. He makes a great demon prince on a 60mm round base. 

I just put together what I would consider as a unique Brass Despoilers list. I think this direction I'm going in has legit potential but it's a million drops:

Skullfiend:

LEADERS
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Doombull of Khorne (120)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
UNITS
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
10 x Bestigors of Khorne (120)
10 x Bestigors of Khorne (120)
6 x Bullgors of Khorne (320)
Brass Despoilers (190)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

It's pretty fast, super choppy and has 2 powerful core "units" the bullgors and Khorgies. Both of those things reroll everything. As weird as the list looks I feel like something in this  could be scary on the table. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Turns out a Daemon Prince with Ghyrstrike is insanely killy... 

Reapers vengeance command ability Leave none alive and have him double attack. Man this would be crazy, can i assume he would gain the command ability since he is a hero? 

Edited by Impa