AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I have had good success with Goretide run + charge along with Stoker + Blood Warriors. I know its not for everyone but those dude haul ass across the board with 5 base move + auto 6 inch run + 3 from Stoker then a charge that you also get +3 to for a minimum of 19 thats if you roll double 1s on charge. They are not killy and wont just flatten things but you can run right around screens and engage back line in 1 fell swoop. Once the shooters are in combat they have to target the Warriors meaning you have time to move in other stuff or chew thru screens.

I have deamons for the sole purpose of summoning (i plan to put karanak in a list eventually) and i have pretty much only ever played as mortals and so far this new book has done nothing but improve them from my experience. 

I know this is not going to suit everyones fancy but between my monsters and Goretide + Blood Warriors i don't feel a lack of speed has been a problem yet. Also placing alter at edge of territory and slinging Blood Boils and Judgments have decent enuff range that they feel like an artillery encampment.

• Like 2

Meh, so much negativity ... disapointing.

BTW, does someone hase some cheese idea for a 1500 pts list? (with vanguard restriction/ 2 battleline/4heroes/2behemoths-2artillery)

Had little idea of what should be best and can't decide if priest or not.

• Like 2

Yesterday I attended a local (well, hour away) 3 round 16 man tournament and took Goretide. I went 2-1 and was in a 3 way tie for 3rd place.

My list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne

- Slaughterhost: The Goretide

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders

Mighty Lord of Khorne (140)

- General

- Trait: Hew the Foe

- Artefact: Ghyrstrike

Bloodstoker (80)

Bloodsecrator (140)

- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Aspiring Deathbringer (80)

- Goreaxe and Skullhammer

Battleline

10 x Blood Warriors (200)

- Goreaxes

- 1x Goreglaives

10 x Blood Warriors (200)

- Goreaxe & Gorefist

- 1x Goreglaives

5 x Blood Warriors (100)

- Goreaxe & Gorefist

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

- Meatripper Axes

Units

5 x Wrathmongers (140)

5 x Skullreapers (180)

- Goreslick Blades

1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)

- Blood Blessing: Resanguination

Battalions

Bloodmad Warband (160)

Endless Spells

Wrath-Axe (60)

Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Total: 1950 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 2

I did have the Skull Altar, it’s not an option in Warscroll Builder for some reason.

My first round opponent was Beasts of Chaos. Our battleplan was Shifting Objectives in the realm of Chamon. The realmscape feature was Iron Trees.

Here is my opponent’s list from what I can remember:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn

Leaders
Beastlord (90)
-
 General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura 
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade 
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Gors (80)
-
 Gor-Blades & Beastshields

Units
30 x Ungor Raiders (240)
30 x Ungor Raiders (240)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)

Battalions
Desolating Beastherd (150)

Total: 1820 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 4

He also had the Herdstone which doesn’t show up in Warscroll Builder.

I was very impressed with Blood Warriors this game. They were absolute champs and took down sooo many Bestigors and Ungors. My ten man unit of Gorefist Blood Warriors went through 10 and held down the unit of 30 for nearly the entire length of the game.
    He had ambushed one of the 30 man units of Ungor Raiders and he sniped out the Bloodstoker immediately, had a bit of a flashback playing against Savage Orruk Arrowboyz. My Skullreapers completely wiped out that unit in response, killing 28 of them, with the unit auto dying to battleshock.
      The Hexgorger Skulls were very relevant here, taking up space and stopping nearly all of his spells. He tried the realm spell Transmute quite a few times, and the Skulls kept making him fail. He was sacrificing the Gors in order to get summoning points and he brought in an extra 10 man unit of Bestigors to go for the bottom objective. They managed to get that hard 9 charge off, but Blood Warriors were bosses once again, took that charge, and killed them off.
      The Warshrine didn’t help that much this game, but it really shined in the other 2 rounds. Due to this being my first game against Beasts of Chaos, my opponent was a grand gentlemen explaining everything he does and we ate quite a bit of the round timer, but we did manage to get 3 full rounds in.
      The game deciding move was when he passed turn to me with less than 10 mins left on the round timer (I think it was like 7 minutes or so). I have experience playing Warmachine on such time constraints and I was watching the clock like crazy on his turn, already planning what I needed to do. I used 3 Blood Tithe to Murderlust over my still fresh Skullreapers to the top objective (which was the active one) to have them get there and recapture it. The remnants of the 30 man Bestigor unit piled in to get close to the objective, and after all the attacks were said and done, I had the objective by ONE model. That allowed me to win the game on the mission by I believe 1 victory point.

My second round was against Blisterskin Flesh-Eater Courts. The mission was Scorched Earth in the Realm of Hysh, the realmscape feature was Speed of Light.

My opponent’s list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
- Grand Court: Blisterskin
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
-
 General
- Trait: Hellish Orator 
- Artefact: The Grim Garland 
- Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
- Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite
Abhorrant Archregent (200)
-
 Lore of Madness: Deranged Transformation
Abhorrant Ghoul King (140)
-
 Lore of Madness: Spectral Host
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)
Crypt Infernal Courtier (120)

Battleline
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
6 x Crypt Flayers (340)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Battalions
Deadwatch (110)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

He did have their Throne of course,  not showing up on Warscroll Builder.

He had first turn and elected to go first. His army is incredibly fast and he charged me with all of his Flayers immediately. I was surprisingly able to take this charge quite well as I had kind of expected this to occur, and deployed my Aspiring Deathbringer to cover nearly all of my units in his combat phase. Blood Warriors were champs once again, and they nearly killed off all of the Flayers in 2 rounds or so. He also immediately summoned in Ghouls via the Archregent (chose 20 man unit of Ghouls) and the Ghoul King (10 man unit) on my flanks to position them to grab those objectives and burn them from me when he can.
      The Warshrine was deployed on the line and was taken out quite quickly as he had used Feeding Frenzy to great effect.
       We fought each other on my deployment line for nearly 3 rounds as he had a very lucky Courtier roll and got one of the 6 model Flayer units back to full strength…when the unit had 1 model left. The 3 model unit also had 1 model left and got 1 back. This is when the Slaughterpriests did work with the Wrath Axe, as it swooped around, clipping the Courtiers and Flayers, spreading out the d3 mortals. I believe the d6 mortal slam rolled a 1 at that time. The Blood Boils were targeted at his General Terrorgheist as that got into my lines. Between the Blood Boils, charging Wrathmongers, Wrathmongers dying, and Skullreapers, the General went down. He was tough to deal with as Unholy Vitality did manage to go off. Nevertheless, apply pressure at that same spot till it breaks
J.
     I did manage to kill all of the Flayers and Courtiers and summoned in a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster to go after the Archregent and Ghoul King in the back. Unfortunately, I didn’t kill either immediately as I failed to wound with the Bloodflail and I failed the charge roll the turn where he was summoned. The flanking Ghouls had already burned my flanking objectives already and he has been racking up the points.
    At the end of the game, I managed to run across to grab all 3 of his objectives, but we ran the numbers and I would have gotten only 8 points to his 12 at the end of the game (I also summoned 5 Hounds to get one of his flanking objectives off of the positioning of the Bloodthirster). The other flanking objective was grabbed by the surviving Bloodstoker who had whipped himself to automatically be in range of said objective no matter what his run roll was. This was an incredibly bloody game as I only had a handful of Heroes left, my Bloodthirster and Flesh Hounds, and he only had his summoned 30 Ghouls left.

My third round wound up being a Khorne off! He was playing Tyrants of Blood under Reapers of Vengeance. We were playing Battle for the Pass in Shyish, with the Realmscape feature being Haunted Realm.

His list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
-
 General
- Trait: Mage Eater 
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle 
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)
-
 Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)
Slaughterpriest (100)
-
 Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
-
 Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

Battalions
Tyrants of Blood (140)

Endless Spells
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2

He did have the Skull Altar, which, again, doesn’t show up on Warscroll Builder.

He finished deploying first and gave me the first turn. And this first turn set the tone of the game, as this was the strongest Goretide run and charge I’ve ever seen. I sent in my 10 man Gorefist Blood Warriors across the table to kill both of his Slaughterpriests and severely wound both Insensate Rage Bloodthirsters. One was at 5 wounds left, the other was at 4. This was a result of Gorefist saves and sheer volume of attacks via regular combat phase and retaliation from No Respite. He used a lot of command points to get his Bloodthirsters to fight twice and Aetherquartz Brooch helped quite a bit, he also used the Unfettered Fury command ability to get all of his Bloodthirsters to pile in and fight… so I spread a lot of wounds out from this single unit J. They were swinging at 4 attacks a piece and were buffed by the Warshrine’s warscroll prayer and the Bloodstoker’s Whipped to Fury. They were 2 inches too far forward for the Aspiring Deathbringer to bring them up to 5 attacks a model, which is unfortunate but a reality of the game.

I also got an early lead on the mission as well, as I had my own objective and both border territory objectives. His response in his turn was to charge and fight my Bloodsecrator that was a bit behind these Blood Warriors and also the out of range Aspiring Deathbringer.The Aspiring Deathbringer died, but the Bloodsecrator having the Thronebreaker Torc just shrugged off nearly all the attacks. He also was moving up his Flesh Hounds to get them relevant in the fight as they were not on the deployment line.
More fighting occurs, and he manages to get enough models around the border territory objectives to keep up with me. However, I still have Slaughterpriests :D.  Blood Boils go off, and the Wrath Axe comes out, units charge in.…. All of his Bloodthirsters are dead.  The Wrath of Khorne Thirster tried to go after my Mighty Lord, but he dealt only 3 damage to him. The Mighty Lord does 8 damage back and rolls a 4 on the Reality-Splitting Axe… so close!

I start to take a commanding lead on the mission and all of his hitting power is gone. It’s another bloody game and he has enough Blood Tithe to bring in another Insensate Rage Thirster off of the Skull Altar, which is near the top border territory objective. He comes charging in, fighting, but dies once again. He concedes after round 3 ends, and I win with lead of 15-10.

I wound up in a 3 way tie for 3rd place, with me being in the middle of the rank, with my second round opponent taking third and my first round opponent being at the bottom of the rank of the 3 way tie.

Final thoughts

- I absolutely love Bloodmad Warband! It works so so well with what Goretide wants to do which is to get in there ASAP. It also takes a nice chunk of your units into 1 drop and gives you everything that you’re already taking…except Bloodreavers most likely.

- I downgraded my Bloodreavers from 20 to 10 in order to get the points under 2k and they didn’t really do anything all day. They’re essentially a tax unit that turns into a Blood Tithe, which is unfortunate as I’ve had decent results from them when they were 20 models in size. However, that’s because of the Warshrine warscroll prayer, the Warshrine being a bigger base Totem, and also the Bloodstoker’s Whipped to Fury is what gave them the output I’ve seen in the past. However, Blood Warriors take these buffs waaaaaaaaaay better as they’re more accurate natively, have Gorefists, fight again when they die, and are 2 wound models with a 4+ save.

- Skullreapers are fantastic!! Like, wow! I very easily got them to 6-7 attacks and the Warshrine warscroll prayer is very handy when they’re not fighting a unit that is not 5 or more models in size. And when they are…..fish for those 6’s (re-roll all hits that are NOT a 6)!

- The Goretide Tireless Conquerors ability is absolutely amazing. I was using it all day and is an incredible output increase, especially considering how hard it is to get any sort of wound re-rolls.

- Thronebreaker’s Torc on the Bloodsecrator is so nice. It lets him go out and be more aggressive.

- I’ve been trying to find an artifact for the Mighty Lord to make him far more dangerous. I’ve tried Gorecleaver for that double damage on a wound roll of 6 and extra Rend, but I’ve found that to be too swingy and I opted to give him Ghyrstrike instead. I think I will keep this since the shift from 3’s and 3’s to 2’s and 2’s is like… woah. I think he does Bloodthirster esque damage with that change, plus Hew the Foe command trait, just gotta pump those attacks up.

- Using Blood Tithe points for the options on the table seems like a stronger play for the most part, unless you need extra reach to grab objectives or to finish something off. I used Murderlust (Option #3) and Apoplectic Frenzy (Option #4) a lot, and used Relentless Fury (Option #6) in the Tyrants of Blood game. Apoplectic Frenzy being usable in your opponent’s hero phase is soooo strong, especially now that it only requires 4 Blood Tithe, and not 5.

- I had serious concerns with my list handling monsters, most likely because I didn’t have a lot of high damage weapons. I think the list is fine because puts out soooooo many wounds.

- The Wrath Axe hits your own units on the d3 mortals part! I wasn’t aware of this and my third round opponent mentioned this to me, so beware how you move it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

@AresX8 i like your list. Agreed that 10x Warriors with gorefist are actually pretty damn good.

I had same experience with Reapers, just the sheer amount of saves my opponent had to make was overwhelming.

Stoker is better than before.

I used Apocalyptic Frenzy in my last game to devastating effect and not sure i even care much about summoning stuff anymore unless its guarantee win.

Tell me did you use the Aspiring D to any great effect? You mentioned getting up to 7 attacks on Reapers so i guess he did something.

Its kinda funny cuz i remember when book first dropped and everyone was crying tat this was exactly the stuff we was talking about... There is definitely some serious strengths here to explore and i think we're gonna see Khorne active in meta.

Great report!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

I sent in my 10 man Gorefist Blood Warriors across the table to kill both of his Slaughterpriests and severely wound both Insensate Rage Bloodthirsters.

I'm probably too judgmental, but how dafuq did you clip his priests when he had screening units available and handed you the first turn... was his measuring tape broken or something?

I mean, Blood Warriors are super annoying for every melee army but it seems he pretty much dumbstered himself.

(At least I got reminded of Aetherquartz Brooch, totally forgot about that one!)

36 minutes ago, ChaosUndivided said:

Its kinda funny cuz i remember when book first dropped and everyone was crying tat this was exactly the stuff we was talking about... There is definitely some serious strengths here to explore and i think we're gonna see Khorne active in meta.

The problem with Skullreapers and Khorne (especially the mortal side) is reliable MW output. Volume of attacks was always our selling point but getting into range and then doing reasonable damage is another story.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Xasz said:

I'm probably too judgmental, but how dafuq did you clip his priests when he had screening units available and handed you the first turn... was his measuring tape broken or something?

Lol i agree sounds like someone didn't know what they where doing or just very caught by suprise at Warrior's speed.

23 minutes ago, Xasz said:

The problem with Skullreapers and Khorne (especially the mortal side) is reliable MW output.

I'm going to agree except i don't think its that bad. My 5 man Reapers where reliably getting 4+ MW in addition to normal damage and i wasn't even fishing for 6s with reroll ALL hits. If i was fighting something with crazy good save and started fishing it could easy be 6 - 8 MW.

The gorefist really do spit MW all over the place the longer the Warriors stay alive the better obviously but if you do get attacked by a horde and have to roll dozens of saves its surprising how many MW can show up.

The Priest are mortals btw and Blood Boil is deadly as ever and the Axe and Icon Judgments just ****** MW everywhere.

Also Skullcrusher charge is fairly reliable MW buy good luck getting many of those in a game.

21 minutes ago, Battlefury said:

How did you use Murderlust (Option #3) and Apoplectic Frenzy (Option #4) "a lot"?

Its not hard to get 3 - 4 Blood Tithe especially if both armies have chaff and you got blood sacrifice. You gotta spend em as soon as you can, including your enemies hero phase. You're always trying to pick and choose who fights who to optimize your killing potential or speed bumb opponent and make them waste turns killing chaff after chaff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChaosUndivided said:

I gave the CLoM the command trait which i completely forgot about all game and the goretide artifact

Ah dude, that's super frustrating. The whole point of the Manticore Lord is to give him Hew the Foe (and -3 Rend on his blade via a Malign Artefact IMHO).

Thanks heaps for the batrep though. I hope he gets another run. My guy is still only partially assembled and unpainted.

41 minutes ago, Roark said:

Ah dude, that's super frustrating. The whole point of the Manticore Lord is to give him Hew the Foe (and -3 Rend on his blade via a Malign Artefact IMHO).

Yeah your right. I was hoping he would be killy enuff on his own without an artifact cuz the Banner of Wrath is just too good to pass up and ultimately i was glad i took it. Had i remember the trait and just rolled a lil better i think he would have seemed more impressive.

I love mortals and like running this guy even if he is sub par but im willing to bet a BToIR is just way better choice for 30 points more. You don't have to stack traits and artifacts on that guy to do work. They both have same wounds, saves, and movement/fly but Rage Thirster is just way more killy. I feel like Manticore is a drain that absolutely requires trait + artifact + buff support to make a killing machine.

11 minutes ago, ChaosUndivided said:

I love mortals and like running this guy even if he is sub par but im willing to bet a BToIR is just way better choice for 30 points more.

For sure, nobody will argue against the Rage Thirster's base capabilities. Mantilord has zero MW output.

But for every Attacks buff that can be brought to bear the fully-tooled Mantilord gets twice the benefit on his already-amped double weapons plus extras on his mount's (admittedly poor) double weapons. My guy charging with 2 buffs:

6 3 3 -3 d3+1

5 3 3 -1 4

7 4 2 -1 1

d6+2 4 4 0 1

Plus, yeah, I like Mortals too! And the Mantilord has been VERY hard done by throughout several (all?) editions of Warhammer, and this is the first opportunity to run one that can actually hit like a freight train despite the large investment.

Sorry if that seemed preachy or stating the obvious. I agree with everything you said, but I'm still excited about using him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChaosUndivided said:

I have had good success with Goretide run + charge along with Stoker + Blood Warriors. I know its not for everyone but those dude haul ass across the board with 5 base move + auto 6 inch run + 3 from Stoker then a charge that you also get +3 to for a minimum of 19 thats if you roll double 1s on charge. They are not killy and wont just flatten things but you can run right around screens and engage back line in 1 fell swoop. Once the shooters are in combat they have to target the Warriors meaning you have time to move in other stuff or chew thru screens.

I have deamons for the sole purpose of summoning (i plan to put karanak in a list eventually) and i have pretty much only ever played as mortals and so far this new book has done nothing but improve them from my experience. 

I know this is not going to suit everyones fancy but between my monsters and Goretide + Blood Warriors i don't feel a lack of speed has been a problem yet. Also placing alter at edge of territory and slinging Blood Boils and Judgments have decent enuff range that they feel like an artillery encampment.

Do you actually get +3 from stoker or not? I thought the ability sets the roll to 6 regardless of the modifiers. If you get +3 that would be neat, warriors will have the eel speed.

@Roark yeah i usually dont play with Malign Sorcery artifacts cuz not everyone has the book and it feels unfair but i gotta try that build. I'm thinking even Gorecleaver on sword wouldn't be bad choice.

@Smooth criminal i have been wrong about things before but the wording on Ever Onwards command ability states "that run roll is treated as being a 6." Which would lead me to believe it is modifiable with Stoker and this has been a matter of discussion several times and never heard anyone mention otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

Do you actually get +3 from stoker or not? I thought the ability sets the roll to 6 regardless of the modifiers. If you get +3 that would be neat, warriors will have the eel speed.

I'm thinking that you do since the Bloodstoker warscroll says to add 3" to run and charge roll, so it's distance beyond the roll. And the Ever Onwards ability basically declares that a unit "rolled" a 6 on its run.

If unbuffed Bloodreavers were worth a hoot, you could get them to run 16" (6 base plus 6 ever onwards plus 3 whipped to fury plus 1 for hornblower), then have them charge 2d6 +4 (horn and whip again). You'd be in people's faces, at least for a minute lol.

Edited by Zamik

Tough day at the office yesterday; 1250 points vs Stormcast (Blood & Glory)

My list;

Skullfiend Tribe

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount

Bloodstoker

Aspiring Deathbringer

Slaughterpriest (blood sacrifice)

2 x 5 Flesh hounds

10 x Reavers

5 x Skullreapers

5 X Wrathmongers

5 x Chaos Knights

1 x Khorgorath

His List;

Lord Arcanum on Gryph-Charger

Lord Arcanum

Lord Castellant + Gryph hound

10 x Sequitors

5 x Sequitors

5 x Evocators

2 x Ballistas

He put the Ballistas in the sky and gave me first turn. I was wary of them dropping in behind me and splitting my force so I held some units back to zone them out.

Lacking the speed to make a first turn charge but knowing he lacked the speed to charge me in his first turn I pushed up.

Failed blood sacrifice which proved to a precursor to some crappy rolling for me all game.

He brought the Ballistas down in front of me and proceeded to roll a ton of 5’s to hit and killed 4 x skullreapers.

He then won the double turn which was devastating at that stage. This time the ballistas killed 3 wrathmongers and he charged in the 5 Sequitors buffed by the Castellant so they were all but unmoveable, killing 4 flesh hounds.

By craftily devastating my units and not finishing them off I was left with no bloodtithe heading into turn 2.

The chaos knights made a glorious charge on the big unit of Sequitors, killing 6. The other unit of flesh hounds hit them from the other end in a classic pincer move but despite rolling well were unable to cause a single wound (his save rolls, with rerolls, were ridiculous time after time).

The surviving skullreaper charged the ballistas and fought well but couldn’t kill one and died in return. My chaos lord, despite throwing 8 attacks completely whiffed against the 5 x Sequitors.

I failed blood boil as my rolls continued to be terrible.

He won the 3rd round roll off and the Lord Arcarnum and Gryphound together with the Evocators destroyed the knights.

The 5 x Sequitors finished off the Wrathmongers and flesh hound but the ballistas finally whiffed.

I bloodboiled 2 x evocators which was satisfying but my khorgorath failed its charge.

The other flesh hound unit continued trading blows with the remnants of the 10 man sequitor unit and the 5 man sequitor unit killed my chaos lord.

The aspiring deathbringer charged the lord Arcanum, whiffed and died in return.

I finally won a roll off and took the double turn. I had 8 bloodtithe and so on came a Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster.

He used the wraith flail to immediately pulverise the lord castellant. I bloodboiled the evocators again but only 1 wound this time.

The khorgorath charged the evocators and killed 1 surviving the return attacks from the evocators plus lord arcarnum, only to die to the gryph hound… sigh…

The bloodthirster also made his charge into the 5 x Sequitors and wiped them but the lord arcarnum brought one back.

His turn and the ballistas whiffed against the bloodthirster before he finished off the last sequitor, the remaining sequitor finished off the last flesh hound.

The remaining evocators and lord arcarnum charged and killed the reavers and slaughterpriest.

He won the 5th round roll off for another double turn.

The ballistas unleashed on the bloodthirster, taking him down to 3 wounds, and the lord Arcanum finished him off and took my left objective.

The two remaining evocators charged the bloodstoker but he lived and killed one meaning I held the last objective and avoided a major loss.

In my last turn I summoned 5 flesh hounds off the altar and attempted to charge the remaining sequitor to take his objective but they failed, even with the reroll… sigh…

The bloodstoker killed the last evocator meaning I kept one objective out of 4 and suffered a minor loss.

Even if the hounds had made the charge to tie us on objectives he well and truly had me on kill points so would have been a minor loss either way.

I guess the biggest takeaway is those ballistas can be brutal, especially with an early double turn before you get a chance to hit them back- not much you can do about that.

By leaving one model left in a unit wherever possible he denied my blood tithe which was incredibly annoying.

Sequitors rerolling saves, getting buffed by the castellant and one coming back to life each turn were infuriating.

Summoning a bloodthirster late game was pretty cool but he died so quickly and easily to the ballistas and lord Arcarnum it was embarrassing.

Was still a really fun and challenging game and I was pleased to take it all the way to the last turn.

With a little luck, or even just average rolling, I could have turned it around but wasn’t my day and he really had a day out with his rolls.

This was game 1 in a 5 game league.

One opponent is running a Stardrake while another has a Dragon Lord and Archmage on Dragon.

I don’t even know what the FEC player has but it cant be good.

My next game is against Sylvaneth this Thursday- battle report to come.

• Like 1

Just now, Darksteve said:

If in GHB 2019 they lower skullcannons to 105 ppm they will be as good as they were pre FAQ. Here's holding out hope for viable artillery for my army

105 would be weird. But 100 should do. Still nothing amazing but a way easier fit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Killax said:

It is. We don't really do Khorne things either, as our biggest plus actually comes from the not melee orientated Slaughterpriests, with the not endless spells Khorne Judgements. Again, there is nothing linking the lore to this army, just nothing. They didn't even bother to change the Wrathmonger lore to reflect their current design. Somehow they still drive opponents into a frenzy aswell, killing friend or foe... They don't do this, they used to...

I don't think 10 Bloodreavers are actually a good deal at 70 at all. I agree with you that Wrathmongers are pretty good with Skullreapers. We have some decent units in a vacume, but we litterly cannot do anything against ranged offense currently. Those Adepticon lists for example are capable of eating any Khorne army alive.

What we do have is Tyrants of Blood, which can be very scary if the opponent doesn't run any meaningfull ranged attack units. So that aspect of Khorne I'd say is still somewhat scary. Though as we know, Bloodthirsters go down quite quickly. Stuff like Bloodreavers or Wrathmongers funnily enough is lethal to Bloodthirsters for example, regardless if they actually strike first or not.

There are many more things that again prove how little the designer was interested in doing this Khorne book.

Valkia is described as a Daemon Princess, or half Mortal. But does not have both Keywords.
Juggernauts are mentioned as Daemons, but neither the Khorne Lord who rides it or the Skullcrushers have both Mortal and Daemon Keywords.
Khul cannot lead the Goretide and have bonus abilities, despite it being his army.
Mighty Lord of Khorne and Khul both have a Fleshhound, treated as a mount this time, and still do not have both Mortal and Daemon Keywords.

As before nothing really good has actually come forth of the the Khorne book updates lol. I guess the only thing that's sort of scary now is that we indeed can run 4 Bloodthirsters and if your opponent wasn't prepaired he's going to lose Key units. Maby.

I can assure you the only things for Khorne I expect there is that Tyrants of Blood will cost 180 and Bloodreavers might go to 60 or a bigger discount at 40.
The last 3 years the Skullcannon has been utter useless since AoS' inception. 

The sad thing remains is that Khorne has no ways to move up quickly. I was under the assumption that this was purposefully done because the Skullcannon became a viable unit for a week. Though after 3 years of Khorne updates appearantly someone decided one week of Skullcannons being okay was enough. 

Meanwhile 9 Warplock Jezzails in Skaven are cool and 3-4 Bolt Throwers in Stormcast are cool. Nice.

We are slower, much MUCH slower than Slaanesh which also does way more attacks with their exploding dice and almost everything has rend. 

Ironjawz have a lot of problems but they can pop off in a combat round and if you fight smart you can chain combo and kill everything before your enemy can fight back and again almost everything has rend. 

Daughters of Khaine have their invuln saves and are basically Khorne, but better. 

Its actually sad and a little hilarious that every other melee dedicated army is faster, tougher, or straight up better at killing than we are. Even Ironjawz are faster with Cogs (they get wizards) and certain Battalions (Ironfist) and their Mighty Destroyers Battle Trait. It’s so frustrating. 4” Brutes can suddenly be moving like 12” and Charge with a +3 and smash you turn one. 

Meanwhile ****** Khorne with our terrible saves lumbers slowly up the field with no invuln saves, no feel no pains, no advance and charge, no extra movement traits or spells, nothing. And half of our units are worthless base. 

Witch Elves are objectively good. Daemonettes are great. It’s entirely possible Brutes are one of the best units in the game. 

Bloodreavers are literal toilet paper or worse and Blood Warriors are a mediocre over priced joke. 

I play Khorne because I love the lore but if I wanted to play a melee focused army I could basically close my eyes, throw a dart on a wall, and land on an army in any grand alliance that does melee better than we do. That’s just sad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

We are slower, much MUCH slower than Slaanesh which also does way more attacks with their exploding dice and almost everything has rend. 

Forget slaneesh, even NURGLE outspeed us. Run+charge for everyone within a tree, in a army which have access to +2 move to everyone thanks to the wheel, and which blightking already have a +1 run AND +1 charge natively. In average, they move two time faster than us, three time faster if you add a great unclean one with the bell

I'm really jealous of the nurgle wheel. With the blood tithe system, i usually do one special move every 2 turn, and i need to entirely forget summoning. Meanwhile, nurgle have insanes global bonuses (like +1 to wound for the entire army) AND summoning that come automatically.

Edited by ledha
  • Like 2

Is Korghos Khul not being recognized enough? He only works in Goretide, and I feel like he is 20 points over costed but he has a few unique things. 3+ armor save, 8 inch pile in, an axe that can one shot any model and a good command trait that pairs perfectly with Goretide reroll 1's to wound. With a few extra attacks he actually hits pretty hard and gets to like 11 totally attacks. 

Is it just the price tag that make people write him off? A bloodsecrator cost 140, it seems odd that he is all the way up at 180.

9 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Is Korghos Khul not being recognized enough? He only works in Goretide, and I feel like he is 20 points over costed but he has a few unique things. 3+ armor save, 8 inch pile in, an axe that can one shot any model and a good command trait that pairs perfectly with Goretide reroll 1's to wound. With a few extra attacks he actually hits pretty hard and gets to like 11 totally attacks. 

Is it just the price tag that make people write him off? A bloodsecrator cost 140, it seems odd that he is all the way up at 180.

Normal Mighty Lord gets the 1 shot axe and the 3+ save as well. Also it may be because he can’t take a Trait or artifact. 

14 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Expensive model with low wound count that has to be in melee range to do most of his interesting stuff.

Bloodsecrator is rather expensive at 140 as well, but what he does is a lot less conditional and works regardless of his range to the enemy lines.

Heroes that you want to use in combat should either be expendable or durable, Khul is neither. Which means you pay a lot of points for a fancy command ability, which is rarely worth it.

I feel like the problem with Khul is context rather than his own capabilities.

He only plays with Goretide. Goretide plays run&charge warriors, reapers and crushers. Khul has no effect on reapers aka the best damage dealers. Khul has bad synergy with warriors (both eat CP) and will have hard time catching more than 1 unit in his bubble due to being slower to both warriors and crushers.

He's okay if you're the one getting charged (a common theme for Khorne), but then you can take aspiring dude and give everyone +1 attack for CP instead which is better than reroll 1s.

Also note that you can take an artefact for bloodsecrator or thirster that gives your dudes reroll 1s. So if you really want that it can be get easier.

Also chaos shrine is full reroll for same 160pt with 6++ and a blessing on top.