AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

54 minutes ago, lifelonghalo said:

Can someone explain to me what the hell doppelganger cloak is? Zero results on google.

I clearly don't play competitively

It's one of the new realm artifacts and can be found in the Malign Sorcery book.

It's from Ulgu and reads as follows:

The bearer cannot be chosen as the target of an attack with an enemy melee weapon unless the bearer has made any attacks earlier in the same phase.

I think I do not have to explain why it's good, especially against another melee focused army without a whole lot of shooting or magic.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Scrags said:

Nice! Thanks for the breakdown, I'll have to look at blood warriors again :D 

I always take my shrines for the reroll all failed hits and extra blood blessing. 6+ ward saves are never anything to bank on but I think the utility of the prayers and synergy of the Warshrine being a TOTEM and thus giving my reavers an extra attack makes them well worth it. 

Granted I run much larger blocks of Reavers :P

Normally I run the reavers in one block but wanted to see how summoning would go so they were 'volunteered'.

The shrine I like for the extra prayers and totem but the ward has not been anything to write home about. 

The warriors did well, gorefists were helpful for the unit on an objective and lack of rend wasn't an issue as the undead are immune to it ? 

I would like to replace the prince and try Skarr in this list or a blood thirster.

How do you guys feel about double Battalion lists? Are they worth it? I’ve got two lists I’m considering and I would like to play test them. 

List 1: 

Leaders

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 

Bloodsecrator 

Slaughterpriest x3 

80 point Aspiring Deathbringer 

Battleline

x 3 Mighty Skullcrushers 

x3 Mighty Skullcrushers 

x3 Mighty Skullcrushers 

x3 Mighty Skullcrushers 

x10 Blood Warriors 

x10 Bloodreavers 

x5 Bloodhounds 

Warwscroll Battalions: 

Gore Pilgrims 

Brass Stampede 

or: 

Leaders: 

Bloodthirster of Insensanate Rage 

Bloodsecrator

Slaughter Priest x3

Bloodstoker 

Battleline: 

x10 Blood Warriors 

x10 Bloodreavers 

x5 Blood Warriors 

Warscroll Battalions: 

Gore Pilgrims 

Skulltake 

Other units: 

x5 Skullreapers 

x5 Skullreapers 

x1 Khorgorath

First game of AoS2 today against legions of nagash, with nagash.

Bloodbound definitely got shafted on the summoning side of things, real uphill struggle until the top of turn 3 and 4 where two units auto summon from grave sites tipping it into impossible.

Couple of lessons learned around grave sites, charging nagash and summoning placement but man BoK got a raw deal.

46 minutes ago, MOMUS said:

Bloodbound definitely got shafted on the summoning side of things, real uphill struggle until the top of turn 3 and 4 where two units auto summon from grave sites tipping it into impossible.

Couple of lessons learned around grave sites, charging nagash and summoning placement but man BoK got a raw deal.

I was watching the Stormcast Podcast about Khorne and the guy mentioned stationing troops around Gravesites to neutralize them or something? 

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

I was watching the Stormcast Podcast about Khorne and the guy mentioned stationing troops around Gravesites to neutralize them or something? 

Yes totally do this against LoN, pretty sure they have to summon within x of the gravesite but further than 9 from your models, so depends on where they place their sites. But if you can camp on them, then they are useless. Basically if you can out-horde the horde.

1 hour ago, MOMUS said:

Nagash is a beast in combat. Went to heat 2 earlier this year played him in two games. he pretty much takes a bloodthirster off the table each round of combat. 

Doppleganger cloak obv now a good choice to mitigate that.

Also if you have gore pilgrims consider the impact of a single bronzed flesh prayer. Against his sword with -2 rend youre on a 6up save. (In theory) Him causing 14+ wounds per round of combat drops to 7+ wounds that +1 to your save. Depending on turn priority that could be the difference between 0 rounds of combat vs 3.

12 hours ago, Xasz said:

It's one of the new realm artifacts and can be found in the Malign Sorcery book.

It's from Ulgu and reads as follows:

I think I do not have to explain why it's good, especially against another melee focused army without a whole lot of shooting or magic.

Has anyone else played with other artifacts?
Having a look through and
I see these as potentials:
Ghyran - ghyrstrike - +1 to hit and +1 to wound 
Aqshy - onyxblade - +1 to wound (quite a lot of other +1 to wound artifacts in other realms too)
Ghyrstrike defo on a BT insensate rage. 5+ to wound and you do the aoe mortal woundage. Maybe take slaughterborn command trait too.

Chamon - runeblade - weapon is -3 rend
maybe exaulted db?
Chamon - Gildenban - enemy models in 3" cannot use artifacts of power
Now this would stuff up someone with a doppleganger cloak.
Shyish -  blade of endings - a 6+ to hit is +2 damage

On 7/13/2018 at 5:13 AM, Scrags said:

So let me preface by saying that I have only played AGAINST a council of blood, I haven't run it myself. From my experience on the receiving end of the table I'd say it works and it doesn't. Here's why;

What works: I think Khorne plays a lot like tyranids used to, I.e the original and literal "distraction carnifex". If you don't play 40k, the basic idea is put many threats on the table thus giving your opponents an impossible choice. "Which unit should I focus because I can't ignore any of them, but can only deal with one at a time". 

3 BTs certainly plays into that mindset and can be very scary for some armies to deal with. 

What doesn't work: As much fun as BTs are, they seem to work best with artifacts and command traits and are VERY greedy with them. Several people have already mentioned the value of Immense power but only one gets that. You can put artifacts on the other 2 but you're starting to spread yourself thin and then there's the bigger issue... points. 

With the 260 variants this battalion is still going to run you 930 points. So effectively half your army. Imho there are better cheaper units that can fill that "multiple threat" role and often preform better than a BT that degrades with damage, while also being harder to take off the table. Could be spoiled by GUO durability but BTs are glass cannons that die in all of my games. They normally pay for themselves at least, but are dead turn 3 ;D

Ultimately it's your call of course but that's my 2 cents at least :P if you run it and have success please let us know!

Agreed with this. Have run CoB with 2 WoK and a BiR.

@2k points its half your army. You probably spend an extra 200 on a banner and stoker too.

Its a lot of points for 42 wounds on a 4+ save.

The biggest crux for me is the pile in and attack ability. Good on paper, but in reality being in combat at the start of your hero phase is hard. Youve either charged and removed your target, or youve been crippled by the return attacks. And if youve taken some blows, setting off the chain reaction of a further pile-in is unlikely.

Possibly consider it with skarbrand and gear everything around getting him a run and charge into combat turn 1.. But thats more like 3/4 of your points. 

At which point Blood Host of Khorne is probably a more viable option. 

Yeah, you can block the sites. But that then becomes another way to stretch us out thinly and another reason that Gore Pilgrims becomes mandatory.

It's just such a stupidly vital battalion.

Played my first AoS2 game 1250pts.

My minimum Skulltake + Slaughterpriest + Hammer Aspiring VS new Stormcast with some Palladors and flying guys in Relocation Orb.

We played realms but they weren't really relevant to the game.

Having wizards kept him in the game as he was able to claim the objective twice when we wouldn't have been able to without a wizard = 20 models.

Buffed Skullreapers murdered most of his army. I don't think that will happen again though as he was still getting used to his spells and the new ballista thing. He could have chewed both units down pretty quick otherwise. Final nail was summoning 10 Bloodletters around the orb in turn 4 preventing his chicken wizard from claiming it. We called it there as I had to head out. Next round he likely would have been nearly wiped out. Probably would have been able to score if he took the first turn but then he wouldn't have been able to stop me claiming the three points in the second half of the round.

Ultimately it came down to me winning the turn roll every round and being a bit more familiar with my army.

Command Points let me save some crippling Battleshock losses on two occasions, I was only able to get the Aspiring DB in position to leverage his ability in one turn so was CP on him twice.

I want to try a Dark Feast list, and I'll probably give a Skull Take (max units) + Gore Pilgrims list a try, but it feels way too bare.

Faced a lord of sacrament with my gore pilgrim in a total engagement scenario.

Won by experience (my opponent didn't play as much as me), but as well because of the number. Quality magic and debuff are good, but my 2 khorgorath, 15 skullreapers, 10 bloodwarriors, 20 bloodreavers and 5 chaos knights with the 3 slaughterpriest and the +1 to hit were just too much and too many for the  40 poor skellies, 10 chainrasp, 5 black knight, 2 morghast and 10 grave guards of my opponent. each of my skullreapers units were able to kill around 15/20 guys per combat phase, and when the full reroll kicked in, it was even worse. I even let him bring back 40 skellies to annihilate them just after.

The anti-magic is nut. Sure, Arkhan is unstoppable, but the necromancer are much easier to stop, and my opponent magic phase was dreadful because of the forced reroll +3 dispells+brazen rune+blood tithe. Quantity is really our strenght here. I just had too much units he had to care about

Edited by ledha

Anyone considering stuff like Fist of the Everchosen? You chose the khorne artefacts prayers and abilities but you gain fluffy use of mages and endless spells, re-roll charge for all your guys near heroes (not just khorne either), +2 bravery for all units near heroes as well as unpredictable destruction (+1 to hit sometimes for your units). Also tzeench units so you can have some ranged units in there. With the realm magic items and endless spells it does seem like more of an option

10 hours ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Nagash is a beast in combat. Went to heat 2 earlier this year played him in two games. he pretty much takes a bloodthirster off the table each round of combat. 

Yea it was kind of eyeroll inducing to play against him, although I find this with most uber characters. It's a bit of a negative play experience in my book. 

I managed to summon two WoK bloodthirsters and he killed them both without blinking. I missed a chance to wound him with Wrathmongers, next time I might try ignore him and kill the army but if he camps a gravesite I'll have no chance.

3 hours ago, Skritt said:

Anyone considering stuff like Fist of the Everchosen? You chose the khorne artefacts prayers and abilities but you gain fluffy use of mages and endless spells, re-roll charge for all your guys near heroes (not just khorne either), +2 bravery for all units near heroes as well as unpredictable destruction (+1 to hit sometimes for your units). Also tzeench units so you can have some ranged units in there. With the realm magic items and endless spells it does seem like more of an option

That's not how it works.

See the Firestorm FAQ. 

In short, you can only take Fist of the Everchosen when you are using Grand Alliance allegiance. If your army has any other allegiance, you cannot add the Firestorm factions and abilities to it.

They FAQ'd this, after a heavy backlash from the community.

On another note, I just realized that you probably just made a typo, but I'll post this regardless so newer players might not be confused.

• Like 1

I had asked this earlier, but for the quick and short of it: 

Is it viable or worth it to run 2 battalions, mostly Gore Pilgrims + <insert Battalion> like Skulltake or Brass Stampede? 

Or would the points being invested in the 2nd Battalion most likely be wasted?

59 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Is it viable or worth it to run 2 battalions, mostly Gore Pilgrims + <insert Battalion> like Skulltake or Brass Stampede? 

You can try and see if it works out for you.

Personally, double battalion lists were a rarity before 2.0 (e.g. GPilgrims + Murderhost, GPilgrims + BStampede) and the situations only got worse with the increase in points.

It's not unreasonable, just generally inefficient.

Edited by Xasz
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

400 pts of battalion, plus 5 characters, mean that you'll have a very very very small army. Not sure if it's worth it

49 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Its just a lot of points on battalions. Like 1/5 of your army 

They would have to work incredibly well together. Maybe getting everything in just two drops?

Would gorepilgrims + murderhost (with 8 x fleshhounds) work? Youd be up the board with your battleline fyreslayer stylie pinning your opponent back. Just need to flood objectives with bodies and bolster with summoned units and hope you can hold off for 5 turns. 

7 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I’ll do some play testing when I am able and see what happens. Really like Brass Stampede and Skulltake Battalions but I’m worried Khorne Bloodbound cannot function without Gore Pilgrims. I may be wrong. 

Also this. I would also say Gore pilgrims is our competitive advantage. Stacking +1 to hit or +1 save. You dont really find that anywhere else in the game atm. Also bloodbind from the priests to pull people off objectives. 

Last night I spotted the Exaulted deathbringer with shield and axe has a 2+ save against wounds from magic- suddenly seems a lot more relevant that in aos1.

Now that people have to attack in combat the exaulted db with skull gouger with +3 to save from gore pilgrims could be lethal against hordes (skellies with spears). D3 wounds back for every successful 3+ save you make.

9 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Its just a lot of points on battalions. Like 1/5 of your army 

They would have to work incredibly well together. Maybe getting everything in just two drops?

Would gorepilgrims + murderhost (with 8 x fleshhounds) work? Youd be up the board with your battleline fyreslayer stylie pinning your opponent back. Just need to flood objectives with bodies and bolster with summoned units and hope you can hold off for 5 turns. 

Also this. I would also say Gore pilgrims is our competitive advantage. Stacking +1 to hit or +1 save. You dont really find that anywhere else in the game atm. Also bloodbind from the priests to pull people off objectives. 

Last night I spotted the Exaulted deathbringer with shield and axe has a 2+ save against wounds from magic- suddenly seems a lot more relevant that in aos1.

Now that people have to attack in combat the exaulted db with skull gouger with +3 to save from gore pilgrims could be lethal against hordes (skellies with spears). D3 wounds back for every successful 3+ save you make.

When it comes to demons I have no idea. I don’t own any and probably won’t own any except Bloodthirsters. For some reason I just don’t like the Bloodletters Aesthetic and no matter how strong they are I can’t bring myself to run any. 

5 hours ago, Skritt said:
2 hours ago, Xasz said:

That's not how it works.

See the Firestorm FAQ. 

In short, you can only take Fist of the Everchosen when you are using Grand Alliance allegiance. If your army has any other allegiance, you cannot add the Firestorm factions and abilities to it.

They FAQ'd this, after a heavy backlash from the community.

On another note, I just realized that you probably just made a typo, but I'll post this regardless so newer players might not be confused.

I mean as an alternative to khorne. I am aware it got FAQ'd to only be it plus grand alliance chaos. I think it could be a rivial

What is the best way to play Wrathmongers?

I used a unit of Wrathmongers in the last two games against my friend's Stormcast and each time they were my worst perfoming unit. Maybe it was just me playing them wrong, but these are my problems with Wrathmongers:

-They get hard countered by ranged combat because of their poor 5+ save and Bloodfury doesn't trigger in the shooting phase, even if an enemy unit is in 2" range.

-Bloodfury isn't very effective against against infantry units consisting of 5+ models, they get more out of your buff than you can use their strength against them.

Also how can you buff your charging units with them, e.g. I charge with a unit of Blood Warriors and want the Wrathmongers behind them? The only way it seems possible is charging with the Wrathmongers themselves but they might have no charge buff and then enemy models are also in buff range and not only my Blood Warriors.

Or are Wrathmongers in general a bad choice against a Stormcast army that is a mix of ranged and elite infantry units?

Edited by JetBlackSVW

I was chatting about this with a friend earlier and wondered if it had been discussed before: Archaon with 2 Lords on Juggernauts.

Two uses of Archaon's Command Ability would mean they could buff him so his sword could auto-kill on 2 2+s. They could also work well with Chaos Chosen and their mortal wounds as well as a Juggernaut Lord with the Gorecleaver artifact blade.

Edited by Bazakahuna