AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Just as a reminder, Khorne won Cancon 2019 not that long ago. I don't think the book has changed that much that all of a sudden they are bottom tier. 

While I share your sentiments about Khorne not being bottom tier the list you quoted  is probably a bad example and has been nerfed heavily .

I don't know how he used it  but its set up for a first turn charge of the BTIR maximising the mortal wounds output to all units within 8" I assume.

Wrath of Khorne cant give run and charge with 1" extra any more to the BTIR

Bloodscrator cant whip Deamons so can't give the BTIR +3" move and re-roll 1's to wound

The AOE attack of the BTIR is now a natural 6 instead of originally a 5 or 6 with Ghyrstrike, re-rolling ones

Some things got better though

Blood warrior gorefists

Free warhost

Cheaper Battalion with fewer requirements.

Mobile Bloodscretor

Free shrine

Edited by Chocolate Obturator
Wall of text

5 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Yes but also Bloodstoker can only whip KHORNE MORTALS which means no Khorgorath and no Daemons :( People only! 

I run 2 units of 3 Khorgraths but run them as Skullfiend Tribe so get re-roll to hits and wounds for a command point 😀 

Edited by Chocolate Obturator
spelling
  • Like 1

I was stuck at work all day with my phone about to die but im glad i missed out on the crybaby hissy fit.

If you don't have a question or something constructive to add then stop wasting our time on here!

@Ravinsild You know bronzed flesh is only reroll saves of 1 now, not +1 to sace like before?

I'm glad to see Warriors still seem to be good with dual axes. But im gonna stick with me MW fist tyvm.

From most of the people who have reported their games (and who seem to know what they're doing) it seems like overall we are in a very good place. So far a lot of different list have done well, thats good to see!

Edit: i miss read bronzed flesh. 

Edited by ChaosUndivided
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Galdenistal said:

You can't do that, Bloodtithe needs to be spent at the start of the hero phase, after you use Blood Sacrifice then its no longer the start of the hero phase so you cant use Bloodtithe anymore.

@Galdenistal did you see the Warhammer Communityy Article about "Who Fights First"? If we applied your logic then once you had spent a blood tithe point you could no longer pray for a blood blessing as it would no longer be the start of the hero phase and that is when blood blessings occur as well. 

GW have clarified that each phase is divided into 3 parts, Start, During & End.

If multiple actions are described as taking place at "the start of the phase", such as Blood Tithe usage and Blood Blessings, then the player whose turn it is determines the order in which those things occur. 

The link to the article is here; https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/21/who-fights-first/ and the info chart is below;

AoSWhoFightsFirst-Mar21-SequenceInfographic20yfehfs.jpg

It is certainly viable to use blood sacrifice and then immediately spend the blood tithe earned from it :-)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChaosUndivided said:

I was stuck at work all day with my phone about to die but im glad i missed out on the crybaby hissy fit.

If you don't have a question or something constructive to add then stop wasting our time on here!

@Ravinsild You know bronzed flesh is only reroll saves of 1 now, not +1 to sace like before?

I'm glad to see Warriors still seem to be good with dual axes. But im gonna stick with me MW fist tyvm.

From most of the people who have reported their games (and who seem to know what they're doing) it seems like overall we are in a very good place. So far a lot of different list have done well, thats good to see!

Edit: i miss read bronzed flesh. 

Nvm misinformation HEH. 

Yeah I don't know. I've used both. The re-rolling 1's feels nice in conjunction with re-rolling 1's whilst wholly within 12'' of an objective marker. Like I said 10 of my dudes killed 20 Dwarves who had shield wall and could re-roll all saves in like 1 turn. They really went in there and butchered them up. I ended that whole encounter with 5 guys left, so I guess it was 20 wounds on 20 wounds, but fighting back while dying was useful too. Who knows if it would have been more killier to get the mortal wounds from saves or not. I reckon it's strictly preference. 

I don't know what I'm doing but I like what I'm playing. Excited to test out Bloodmad Warband and Bloodforged :) 

Edited by Ravinsild

@Ravinsild Yes i have been liking Blood Warriors much more now thanks to Goretide. They don't feel as overcosted. The fist can be brutal but rely on rolling average or better, conversely axes rely on rolling poorly lol. I thought the axes would become obsolete but im glad they still have a place. 

Also i think the downgrade on Reavers, due to Secrator changes, have put Warriors in better position as well. Also the reroll all failed wounds on Stoker has helped. Its interesting to see how a few small changes can really add up.

The Warshrine's favor of Khorne and Stokers lash turned the Warriors into a ball of murder my last game.

Hello fellow skull taking brethren

Nice to see that things don’t change XD

but anyway, did some, no I mean, a LOT of testing, and got some conclusions here:

I really like Goretide, especially their Command ability for its sheer flexibility. The mere threat of it had my opponent constantly trying to deploy defensively with tons of screens to keep me from NYOOOMING a blood warrior blob at him. Plus, in the late game, it was really helpful to snatch objectives, and camp there with the re-rolling 1s to wound. 

As far as General is concerned, I’m still using my Juggerlord, and he’s done a lot of work. Still very durable, and his damage output is honestly great with the right command traits (Hew The Foe, Disciple of Khorne, That re-roll all hits one). I rarely used his command ability; but he could keep with Skullcrushers to buff them, unlike Bloodstoker whose range is a lot less

i definitely like the judgements. As some have pointed out, the Wrath-Axe has a big footprint, which makes it annoying for the enemy to attack around, especially with the debuff. I’ve found it saved my bacon against a Nighthaunt Alpha with Cogs. Bleeding Icon is legitimately solid, it’s Damage is technically more than D3 because of that battleshock debuff, it basically can force your opponent to waste CPs to stop its effect from happening

i love the Skullcrushers. Expensive? Yes. But tons of damage? Yes too. I’ve found that i prefer the Ensorcelled Axes to bloodglaives because my meta has a lot of ways to ignore rend (ethereal amulet, other Slaughterborn bois, Nighthaunt, etc.) 

the entire army feels really solid imo, even Bloodreavers (I never use them for damage, too much work needed tbh), I just let them die or use them to screen my warriors

honestly right, what do you guys think is the best Bloodthirster if you can only fit one? Especially in a mostly mortal army

and Korghos has been absolutely amazing. My bunch treat his Command ability as for only combat phase, and his 8 inch pile in is just sweet. It’s kinda sad he doesn’t get Hew The Foe, but he’s still awesome

To be really honest, I’m just glad we didn’t get Fyreslayers treatment. I feel super bad for the Fyreslayers lads, cuz they really needed more stuff. I’m just super glad our battletome is solid a ton of fun to use

• Like 3

So lads and laddies, I feel I might be on the way to coming up with my finalised list!

Here goes:

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Skulltaker 
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage 
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater 
- Artefact: Amberglaive 
Slaughterpriest 
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle 
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest 
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Bloodstoker 

Battleline
9 x Mighty Skullcrushers 
- Bloodglaives
30 x Bloodletters 
5 x Flesh Hounds 
5 x Flesh Hounds 

Battalions
Murderhost 

Endless Spells
Wrath-Axe 
Hexgorger Skulls 

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

The idea is to have a set deployment plan. Ive split it into 3 "lanes" if you would like to call it that (getting a dota feel for some reason). Lane 1 is for killing monsters and/or medium sized blobs, consisting of the Thirster and depending on if I need it a unit of Hounds. Lane 2 is for killing elite blobs or general large tough units. Thats going to be the Skulltaker, Bloodletters, and both Hounds to clear away screening. Lane 3 is for killing something that really needs a fist shaped mortal wound slap to the face, with it being the Skullcrushers and Bloodstoker. Priests will be set up always in the centre lane for the Altar to keep those Judgements ongoing. Idea is that if one lane manages to delete everything in its path, it can then redirect into another lane creating a pincer movement.

General thinking is to try and go 2nd most of the time. If im forced to go first, ill take a slow turn and try to goad my opponent in moving a bit closer to me so that I have the perfect distance to get some charges off. Wrath Axe goes for mainly characters while Skulls try and do the dirty on enemy casting. With how big the imprint of the Judgements are, those are gonna be my main screening for turn 1 in the middle lane. 

Things im still unsure on:

-Where the Skullshard Mantle should go?

-Should I replace the Hounds with 2x10 Bloodletters, despite the Hounds being great giving me chances to dispel and being good, fast chaff clearance?

-Dealing with en masse missile attacks. Im getting a feeling that its the main weakness of the list and I cant quite seem to find a way to reduce it other than what ive done already with focusing on making the list as fast as possible.

What do you guys think? I personally feel quite happy with this list and dont feel there is a need for massive changes. Either way, let me know!

8 hours ago, Laier said:

A bit of sacrificial lambs for one priest to slaughter near the altar. Two mini-speedbumps to wrap soulgrinders. And kind of second-wave / shooting buff for soulgrinders in form of Bloodforged battalion with Skarr. Daemonprince to jump from behind with his 16" move and wreck some heroes with 4+ sword of Judgement (like Khorn knew... lol) or even heal big monsters with bloodlords ability.

Judgements for damage and tunneling-screening foes for Khorne-train.

Gamestyle will be asmuch agressive as it could be - I hope that sacrifice and Skarr will generate enought tithe fir Blood Rain or some late game summon.

What do you think?

Looks fun to me, buffing Soulgrinders is really funny with the Wrathmongers too. So you should be cool with this 40K ish Khorne list.

I am uncertain of the Daemon Prince and Bleeding Icon. I don't feel they add all that much, but other than that you seem ready to go. By dropping these units and upping that one unit of Blood Warriors to 10 I think you will get more bang for your buck.

The best aspect of this list is really being able to screen your Soulgrinders aswell, so I do think it's very worth considering focussing fully on that in combination with the Slaughterpriest trio you have going on allready. 

2 hours ago, Broken Netcode said:

What do you guys think? I personally feel quite happy with this list and dont feel there is a need for massive changes. Either way, let me know!

I think the list look interesting. However I am not a fan of the Skullcrushers, less so because Murderhost even bumps up the speed of your other units.

Skullcrushers with Bronze Flesh make for a great tarpit. However there isn't a unit I can think of where all 9 will be put to use effectively. Using 6 allready creates enough of an Tarpit. While I get the whole aim for D3 mortal wounds, the unit still remains immense and personally too unwieldy for practice. In addition when they don't charge, the additional 3 on top of those 6 are guaranteed to do nothing. 

When you would drop 3, you'd suddenly find yourself with 200 points left, that will allow you to invest into something more efficient. From 10 Blood Warriors to Wrathmongers with 10 Marauders or even 10 Fleshhounds.

9 hours ago, Darksteve said:

@Killax

Sorry I may have phrased my question incorrectly. Do you run them in big untits or has msu worked fine for you. Do you find they need a buff baby sitter(so a bloodsecrator and/or wrathmonger with them as well as cannons?)

A more general question. If I have a unit of wrathmongers, in order to benefit does the unit need to be wholly within 8" of 1 wrathmonger or is the unit fine as long as all parts are wholly within one of the members of the unit. (So lets say 10 are within 1 wrathmonger model and 5 are in another)

I use one big blob of 30, rest of the army is more MSU focused. They do need a 'baby sitter' but more for Reapers of Vengeance command ability than really anything else (assuming GW inteded to give those Command Abilities to heroes and not just every unit ;) ) 

The unit needs to be wholly within of the other unit. Meaning that Wrathmongers can buff a 30 man unit of Bloodletters but it needs dedication. No more daisy chaining for the most part was the intention of this edition. 

• Like 1

@Killax

Thanks for the replies! So in that case a unit of wrathmongers can be daisy chained to buff multiple small units assuming the units are with 8" of at least one wrathmonger and (like you said) a unit of 30 bloodletters can be buffed using different wrathmonger models from the same unit to cover different sections. 

An Appeal From a Veteran Noob

Howdy,

Before I get into my question, a bit of background.

I've been playing GW games since 1984. I've especially been a Warhammer Fantasy guy more than most other games. I've owned and painted every army that has come out since the mid-80's to one degree or another. My usual approach has been to buy all the things for the army, in quantities high enough to field a few max-sized units of all the compulsory/core/battleline troops, and at least a full unit of all other options. For instance, with the new Blades of Khorne book, I would normally buy 90 Bloodletters, just in case. That has been my approach.

Now, here I am, and the Blades of Khorne just got released and I find myself in an interesting spot.  My previous dabbling with Khorne has been very much on the periphery. Of the Big Four, he was always my least favorite, so I would only collect very small forces, mainly of models I liked the most. Yet here I am, ready to take the plunge and do a proper dive into a sea of blood. The thing is, I'm not sure I want to get 90 Bloodletters, 2 of each hero, all 3 Bloodthirster variants (I never, ever magnetize), and so on.

So, I turn to you, the experts, for a little guidance.

This army will be purpose-built to 2000 points for an upcoming event. Afterward I may expand, but for now, I'm trying desperately to stay focused. The mortal side is fun, I guess (and I have plenty since I bought multiples of all the AoS intro stuff), but I really want to focus on the demons. The idea of a Blood Legion (even if I can't do the battalion) just jives with my sensibilities too much (plus I am a huge In this Moment fan).

The help I need:

• Basic pitfalls to avoid
  • Simple key concepts
  • Experiences you've repeated and seen to work vs. a variety of armies using all the AoS 2.0 rules
  • Man-of-the-match sorts of recommendations - the real workhorses

What I want to avoid:

• "These guys are worthless" sorts of input
  • Exact army lists (I want to figure out most of it on my own)
  • Anecdotes of "that one time my dude beat the odds" (not interested in outliers)

If you want to share your thoughts and tips within this framework, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks all!

-Joe

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

If you want to share your thoughts and tips within this framework, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks all!

-Joe

If daemons are your thing I personally wouldn’t make more than 30 - 40 bloodletters. In the games I’ve played I fielded a 30 man unit. And never needed to pick into my extra 10 when summoning via bloodtithe. You loose units during the game and bloodletters seem to have a bullseye. In my games anyways. The old days with 2x30 bloodletter bombs aren’t really the go to damage dealer now, well I don’t think so anyways  but who knows maybe painting 60 is a fun time for you  but man I barely got through 40 🤪

All the bloodthirsters are definitely a must id say! Especially if you ever want your tyrants of blood funny bone to be tickled. It’s the best battalion imo from this book. Paired with reapers vengeance. It’s just fun when it synergizes in game play. 

Im not into cannons, or hounds, skull crushers, or interested in the bloodletter heroes. The rest of my personal choices are wrathmongers, bloodwarriors and skullreapers. Those have been my go to units from this book. Slaughterpriests are a must in my opinion get 3! bloodsecrator and stoker are great choices aswell. All that’s left is the skull altar and judgements. These are just my personal choices. Cheers and happy painting. 

Edited by Impa
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

The help I need:

• Simple key concepts
  • Experiences you've repeated and seen to work vs. a variety of armies using all the AoS 2.0 rules

What I want to avoid:

• Anecdotes of "that one time my dude beat the odds" (not interested in outliers)

Offcourse the army is brand new, so giving exact responces at this time is very much with trial and error. However I do think there are some easy general concepts you can thake into account. Things that will help you get this new Blades of Khorne and really if you start this Khorne with fresh eyes it's easy to avoid the 'this is worthless', use this exact army list and 'that one time at x-con etc.'.

Basic pitfalls to avoid:
- Khorne isn't solely a melee focused army anymore at a competitive level
- Using 9 Skullcrushers means you're investing 540 points into something that isn't guaranteed to work
- Using 3 Bloodthirsters with Tyrants of Blood can be fantastic, but I'd strongly suggest getting the basic grip of this new Blades of Khorne first

Simple key concepts:
- Choose a host based on your favourite unit/unit focus, with this I basically mean, do you like Daemons or Mortals and which of those specific units do you like the most, you can mix like never before, so the focus must come from yourself
- Use 2+ Slaughterpriests, basically always consider Hexgorger Skulls and Wrathaxe, unless you are absolutely certain you wont see magic in your local meta
- Use a Bloodsecrator, consider a Bloodstoker and certainly don't shy away from the Aspiring-, Exalted Deathbringer and Skarr or Valkia, even Khul can be really good
- Units that are generally really good are the above mentioned heroes and 30 Bloodletters, 10 Blood Warriors, 5 Wrathmongers, 5+ Skullreapers and Skullcrushers, Blood Warriors and Skullcrushers are more tarpits however, Wrathmongers are our true support unit and Bloodletters and Skullreapers, next to Bloodthirsters act as hammers
- The simple AoS basic abc remains to screen, focus on key units and keep objectives

More to come later ;) 

• Like 3

Thanks very much for the early replies! Much appreciated.

A point of clarity:

Unless there is a super, super compelling reason to do otherwise, I'm really gonna try to stick to demons, demons, and more demons (bummer really, since the judgments and altar get left behind).

So, while I'm willing to read thoughts on the inclusion of mortals, it's going to be tough for me to go that direction.

One thing I am mulling over is a conversion of a priest on his knees with a bloodletter behind him, knife to throat, to get to the priest's blood moving! If I go that way, maybe a judgement and the altar get added, but even that is a big stretch.

• Like 1

So I have a Herald of Khorne on Blood Throne and an artifact slot free. What artifact would be good on a Blood throne , any ideas ?

My first thought is Gryfeather Charm , to keep it alive , as it's part of my Gorethunder Battalion.

Edited by Keith
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

An Appeal From a Veteran Noob

Howdy,

Before I get into my question, a bit of background.

I've been playing GW games since 1984. I've especially been a Warhammer Fantasy guy more than most other games. I've owned and painted every army that has come out since the mid-80's to one degree or another. My usual approach has been to buy all the things for the army, in quantities high enough to field a few max-sized units of all the compulsory/core/battleline troops, and at least a full unit of all other options. For instance, with the new Blades of Khorne book, I would normally buy 90 Bloodletters, just in case. That has been my approach.

Now, here I am, and the Blades of Khorne just got released and I find myself in an interesting spot.  My previous dabbling with Khorne has been very much on the periphery. Of the Big Four, he was always my least favorite, so I would only collect very small forces, mainly of models I liked the most. Yet here I am, ready to take the plunge and do a proper dive into a sea of blood. The thing is, I'm not sure I want to get 90 Bloodletters, 2 of each hero, all 3 Bloodthirster variants (I never, ever magnetize), and so on.

So, I turn to you, the experts, for a little guidance.

This army will be purpose-built to 2000 points for an upcoming event. Afterward I may expand, but for now, I'm trying desperately to stay focused. The mortal side is fun, I guess (and I have plenty since I bought multiples of all the AoS intro stuff), but I really want to focus on the demons. The idea of a Blood Legion (even if I can't do the battalion) just jives with my sensibilities too much (plus I am a huge In this Moment fan).

The help I need:

• Simple key concepts

What I want to avoid:

Thanks all!

-Joe

Welcome to the Brotherhood, battle brother, where fresh skulls and glory await you! Khorne has called you, now you come seeking? All of us here are ready to guide Aspiring Daemon Lords/Deathbringers on their path to glory! 

First pitfall to avoid! DONT WHINE. We’re Khorne’s chosen, for khorne’s sake, we don’t whine. That’s Nurgle’s job. They’re supposed to despair. 

This army is a buff centric army. Your individual units are weak, but get significantly stronger when buffs are applied. Your heroes are key to this. I’m more experienced with mortals, but i’ll Give you mainly daemon advice. Ask me for mortal advice whenever you need!

super important: get used to wholly within ranged, a LOT of our stuff has that restriction, so keep that in mind! With enough play you’ll get better at juggling the differing ranged

as far as gameplay is concerned, we’re not very fast, as has been  noted before in this thread. We usually get whacked first, then hit back. In this aspect, USE SCREENS. If you don’t want Bloodreavers, use Flesh Hounds! Bloodletters are extremely squishy for their points, and need to be protected and delivered into the enemy. 

In terms of Blood Tithe, the table is... interesting. It encourages you to play almsot recklessly, to lose units to fuel the blood Tithe, while killing as much as possible to give you a net gain. That’s how I do it usually and it’s worked. Basically send buffed  units, let them cause Carnage, and know that they will probably die, but as such can farm even moar blood Tithe for you. Try to make use of your rewards, and MAKE THE MOST OF THEM. 

The Bloodmaster is commonly derided a lot, but I can say he’s good. He’s cheap, and can be summoned, and his ability is honestly solid. Giving him a Damage artifact, then combo him with a Bloodletters mob to 2 hit KO an enemy unit. Good to summon. 

The Blood throne also gets a bad rep a lot. But his main strength is that he’s got a big base, he’s got good damage, he can spread any buffs he has aroynd, and he’s a durable boi. Give him support artifacts and he can really force multiply, such as mark of the Slayer. Best to start these lads on the board rather than summon them. 

Skullmasters imo, are meh. If you want to activate the locus of your Bloodcrushers, use Bloodthirsters. 

Bloodcrushers are great because they’re cheap AND are surprisingly points efficient for their cost. 3 rhino units are solid roadblocks that will kill stuff, then die, while 6 rhino units are generally used if you want a serious hammer. You can add 9 if you wish, but like others have said, it’s difficult to maneuver them. 

Theres sigmifabtly less emphasis on mortals, since many mortal units cannot buff Daemons anymore, so pure daemon armies can work! Just nice to have at least 1-2 Slaughterpriests since they synergies well with your Daemonic legion. 

Also, choose a slaughter host: Reapers of Vengeance are all about damage and magic denial, Bloodlords are all about relatively elite units with multiple wounds

For full daemon armies, Bloodthirster are absolutely vital. They represent you on the battlefield, incarnated as a terrifying avatar of war. A mighty daemon lord chosen by Khorne to lead his hosts. 

Bloodthirsters of Unfettered Fury are your tactical generals. Their command ability is very interesting, try running your units, if you don’t charge, your guys can pile in 6 inches and basically be immune to retaliation. Their anti retreat ability makes them very useful against ranged units. 

Bloodthirsters of Insensate Rage are simple, cheap and brutal. They usually like having Slaughterpriests to buff their hit rolls while they rip their enemies to shreds. Use him as a Missile. Buff his hit rolls as MUCH AS POSSIBLE, you want as many attacks to hit to fish for those sweet outrageous Carnage rolls. Position them to hit as many enemies as possible

wrath of Khorne is a classic favorite: he’s reliable, his most interesting features are his ranged weapons; you can snipe enemy characters surprisingly well with them, plus unbinding is a great utility. He can use it on himself XD

Overall, this is a super fun army with a ton of ways to play! Hope you have fun taking the skulls of your enemies! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! 

Edited by Kaz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Keith said:

So I have a Herald of Khorne on Blood Throne and an artifact slot free. What artifact would be good on a Blood throne , any ideas ?

He doesn’t do too well with damage artifacts due to how spread out his attacks are, but I feel Mark of the slayer does great on him due to its ability to buff your Daemons. Having a big base allows you to catch even more Daemons in the wholly within range! As well as locus of fury range

Has anyone tried blocks of 15 BWs yet? 20 seems a bit unwieldy, but I'm considering trying  a 15 man block as a proper anvil, with Slaughterborn batallion, Bronzed flesh and the Bloodstoker buff they should be able to hold the enemy front for atleast a round while the rest of the army catches up. I know they'd be better off in Goretide, but I'm not giving up on Skullfiend tribe just yet :) 

Edited by Bjornas