AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Just now, Fredster001 said:

Stuff I like:

Valkia and the Bleeding Icon ( sounds like Nordic Noir!), what an awesome combo. We never had -1 to hit on our side and now we get two that  can be used in combination!

Blood Warriors now attrition even harder with punchy fist

So far I prefer Goretide over Skullfiend, the re roll 1's to Wound near Objectives leans better to battlefield control than reroll 1's to hit near enemy heroes, plus the run and charge CA is really good. I didn't mind the 6's add 1 for damage but those armies with a ++ save, they tend to reduce it's effectiveness.

A Bloodsecrator that can keep pace with 20/30/40 Reavers without having to take Gore Pilgrims - How good is that add in a Stoker, Bloodmad and Goretide and you've got Reavers going 16" Charging 2D6+4" with 4 attacks each - Yes I know you have to keep within 16" of Secrator but you can with careful positioning.

Chuck a Skull Helm on an Aspiring Champion and summon the Bleeding Icon and watch 6 Eels disappear! That's 24 wounds for  a failed battleshock test! That's a really useful combo.

Skullrapers...nuff said

Haven't played with my Mighty Skullcrushers yet, but I'm keep to try them - hello tarpit.

Anti magic - Skulls, Altar, Secrator, numerous artifacts, Priests, etc etc

And I haven't even got my  Daemons out yet...

This book has someway to go yet before I'm convinced  its poor and I'll use my my tabletop experience to form my judgement on Khorne (geddit!)

Thats a great summary! Ive been about 75% daemon in my list so I will do a write up later for my findings.

I have actually used Skullcrushers in both 3man and 9man. I have to say at 3 man they arent very good as theyre expensive anvils. However when you take them to 9man they become an INSANE deathstar averaging 10 mortal wounds if you space them well! Deploy them next to a bloodstoker and thats +4" to charge, giving them a really easy charge if you go 2nd. Im feeling having 2 priests nearby, one with Bronze Flesh, the other Killing Frenzy, so that you can decide if you want the unit to be an anvil or a hammer. Will be taking the 9man every single game I play as its so much fun and immensely powerful.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Revan123 said:
1 hour ago, Fredster001 said:

Played 5 games, won 3, took filthy IDK eel list to the absolute edge and only lost because of a failed charge T5!

I would like to see your and opponents list

He had (and I don't know IDK that well)

Seahorse King

Tidecaster + Soulscryer

Leviadon

9 Eels Morrsarr

6 Ishlaen Eels

6 Ishalen Eels

Some battalion or other

I think that was it, anyway it moved all over the place, the Morrsarr hit like bricks, the Ishlaen didn't appear to die easily and he was all over me like fish soup!

I took:

Skullfiend Tribe plus Skulltake Battalion

2 x Slaughterpriests

Bloodstoker & Secrator

Exalted Deathbringer

Asp Deathbringer 

3 x 10 Blood Warriors

2 x 5 Skuullreapers

2 Khorgaroths

Bleeding Icon & Wrath Axe

By T2 he was killing me at will, but then the Blood Warriors and Reapers began to take a toll, the Skull-helm, Asp champ and Bleeding Icon saw off the Ishlaen eels with poor Battleshock results and by end of game I had summoned 30 bloodletters and 5 fleshounds onto the table.

I only lost because he had built up a good  VP lead, and whilst my last charge of the game would have put me ahead, I failed it twice, so it finished 22-20 to the Eels.

He used that list in the WHW GT in March this year and qualified for the next round, it isn't shabby, although he might drop the Leviadon for more Eels.

Khorne are not push-overs, not by any stretch, only time will tell if they can compete at the top?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Broken Netcode said:

I have actually used Skullcrushers in both 3man and 9man. I have to say at 3 man they arent very good as theyre expensive anvils. However when you take them to 9man they become an INSANE deathstar averaging 10 mortal wounds if you space them well! Deploy them next to a bloodstoker and thats +4" to charge, giving them a really easy charge if you go 2nd. Im feeling having 2 priests nearby, one with Bronze Flesh, the other Killing Frenzy, so that you can decide if you want the unit to be an anvil or a hammer. Will be taking the 9man every single game I play as its so much fun and immensely powerful.

That could be brutal, and I just so happen to have 9.

I really like the idea of Gorecleaver on the Lord of Khorne on a Juggernaut with Goretide, roll 6's to w and its 6 damage per wound at -2 rend!

+++ Mod Hat On +++

@Revan123 - Just a nudge but just remember that this forum is here for people to enjoy themselves and talk about the hobby. Having just gone through the last few posts you have added to the forum, it's quite clear you aren't happy with the new book and seem to be determined that others shouldn't be happy. Can you stop this now.

There is nothing wrong with expressing that you aren't happy with it in a constructive way but there are limits to this. Continually going on about the same thing, isn't nice to read and will stop people visiting this topic. If you have nothing else to add, don't ;) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

It's way too early to tell how the book will do. People have barely had time to play with the new rules, let alone try out all the new rules, combos and changes. Just as a reminder, Khorne won Cancon 2019 not that long ago. I don't think the book has changed that much that all of a sudden they are bottom tier. We even (sort of) get half of Gore Pilgrims for free now. 

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (260)

Bloodstoker (80)

Bloodsecrator (140)

Slaughterpriest (100)

Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)

Units

5 x Blood Warriors (100)

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

10 x Flesh Hounds (200)

10 x Skullreapers (340)

Battalions

Gore Pilgrims (200)

6 hours ago, Galdenistal said:

You can't do that, Bloodtithe needs to be spent at the start of the hero phase, after you use Blood Sacrifice then its no longer the start of the hero phase so you cant use Bloodtithe anymore.

I would like to ask about this.

It seems that all Blessings take place also "at the start of the hero phase, so would it be possible to do this ?

I mean for example, blood sacrifice to get a Bloodtithe point and then spend it according to the table ? If both actions take place at the start of the hero phase, you choose which one to use first, right ?

2 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

I would like to ask about this.

It seems that all Blessings take place also "at the start of the hero phase, so would it be possible to do this ?

I mean for example, blood sacrifice to get a Bloodtithe point and then spend it according to the table ? If both actions take place at the start of the hero phase, you choose which one to use first, right ?

Whenever actions take place 'At the start.. ' of any phase, if it is your turn, you choose the order of the actions.

• Like 2

Anyone gone for a blood tithe engine with the new book? Since we have two results that stays in play once activated that makes it sound kinda interesting to try. 

We have blood sacrifice and I think a way to get 2 additional blood tithe by comboing a command trait and artefact? Plus throwing some early chaff. 🤔

I don't post for the weekend while working on costumes and I come back to this thread... ok then XD

@Ravinsild I hate to break it to you but Slaughterborn reduces the Rend of melee weapons by 1, not all weapons.  I'm also curious how you were able to modify the wound rolls of Blood Warriors since from what I can find, we lost that and only have re-roll wounds available. 

But yes, Bloodmad giving the extra attack on the charge combos incredibly well when using Goretide, since we want to launch the Blood Warriors immediately. It puts the opponent on the back foot since they now have to deal with these guys, and if they're in range of the Portal of Skulls (which is easily done when the Bloodsecrator is put at the very front of the deployment when you drop the battalion), 4 attacks a piece with all the buffs is seriously no joke. Comboed with Gorefists, then No Respite from what strikes back, they put out a lot of hurt. 

I'm starting to see the reason why my Bloodreavers did as much as they did that one game I posted here under Bloodmad Warband is because I also had the Warshrine in the list. Bloodreavers get the most out of our battleline from the re-roll all failed hits prayer it has, since re-rolling 4's to hit is slightly more accurate than hitting on 3's. 

Also, I remember us talking about Ghyrstrike and who to put it on.  I've been doing the numbers and I think I've found a Hero worthy of wielding it: Our Lords! Like, the shift from hitting and wounding on 3's to 2's is MASSIVE versus giving them extra attacks from Mark of the Destroyer since it makes them so much more reliable, plus, in Goretide, re-rolling them wound rolls of 1 almost guarantees the wound rolls, barring any modifiers. This makes him nearly self sufficient.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

I don't post for the weekend while working on costumes and I come back to this thread... ok then XD

@Ravinsild I hate to break it to you but Slaughterborn reduces the Rend of melee weapons by 1, not all weapons.  I'm also curious how you were able to modify the wound rolls of Blood Warriors since from what I can find, we lost that and only have re-roll wounds available. 

But yes, Bloodmad giving the extra attack on the charge combos incredibly well when using Goretide, since we want to launch the Blood Warriors immediately. It puts the opponent on the back foot since they now have to deal with these guys, and if they're in range of the Portal of Skulls (which is easily done when the Bloodsecrator is put at the very front of the deployment when you drop the battalion), 4 attacks a piece with all the buffs is seriously no joke. Comboed with Gorefists, then No Respite from what strikes back, they put out a lot of hurt. 

I'm starting to see the reason why my Bloodreavers did as much as they did that one game I posted here under Bloodmad Warband is because I also had the Warshrine in the list. Bloodreavers get the most out of our battleline from the re-roll all failed hits prayer it has, since re-rolling 4's to hit is slightly more accurate than hitting on 3's. 

Also, I remember us talking about Ghyrstrike and who to put it on.  I've been doing the numbers and I think I've found a Hero worthy of wielding it: Our Lords! Like, the shift from hitting and wounding on 3's to 2's is MASSIVE versus giving them extra attacks from Mark of the Destroyer since it makes them so much more reliable, plus, in Goretide, re-rolling them wound rolls of 1 almost guarantees the wound rolls, barring any modifiers. This makes him nearly self sufficient.

My Blood Warriors were +1 to hit (Killing Frenzy), +1 to save (Bronzed Flesh), re-rolling hit rolls of 1 (Dual-Axes), and re-rolling wounds (Whipped to Fury), for 2 rr1/4 rr all/-/1 damage. That’s how I played them turn 1 then after that they went to base stats because they ran out of range of prayers and support. 

I played my whole game wrong because I misread Slaughterborn. Oops. 

I should be more diligent with my rules big oof :( 

I plan on trying Bloodmad Warband and I plan on trying Bloodforged just to experiment with stuff. 

I really want to find a reason to run a Khorne Daemon Prince 🤔 

Edited by Ravinsild

Hey guys,

Longtime lurker here, making my first post. First of all, the amount of salt here is incredible, the only thing higher than that is the amount of people who deem Khorne bad now while misquoting the new rules, just confirming they have not read the book yet (some people trying to defend the book with made up rules also though, to be fair). Also some of the topics keep re-surging all the time, as people are lazy to read I.E. it has been confirmed few pages back that Wrathmongers are not going to get FAQed and it is intended, yet some people spread it like a gospel that the current state is temporary.

Now to the point, I have played on Saturday in a 1500pts tournament  in which I finished 2nd (1 major win, 2 minor) and I will write a little summary of the games below for anybody interested.

Here is the list I played with:

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide

Leaders
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)
Bloodsecrator (140)
- General
- Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
- Artefact: Gorecleaver

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (140)

Endless Spells
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

1. game was againts Kharadron overseers, Fire realm (run with 6 and charges 10+ are d3 mortals) and 4 objectives in corners, since round 3 major win for holding all of them, round 5 a win while holding 3. Opponent played with 3x10 Arkanauts, 2x10 Endrinrigers 1x5 Thunderers and 2 Aether-khemists. Decided to let him go first, he had some incredible lucky shooting and managed to snipe my Bloodsecrator, Bloodstoker and 1 Slaughterpriest in the first round and I thought that the game was finished right there.  Luckily I managed to run pretty far without taking any damage from realm, won a double turn and got in fight. One wing 5 skullreapers managed to chew through 5 Thunderers and most of the Endrinrigers supported by one Khemist, there was really no center of the battlefield on my side of table, on his there was 10 Arkanauts which got decimated by the Wraith-axe. Right wing was basically IRBT and 10 reavers againts the rest of his army + summoned Flesh hounds for the 3 Blood tithes I had for my heroes. BT came in clutch exploding on 1 6, hitting both Arkanauts, Endrinrigers and Khemist in process, with the rest of the attacks went to Endrinrigers, Hounds took care of the rest of the Arkanauts and after battleshock he was left with 3 Endrinrigers and Khemist with 1 wound left. After his part of the round he was left with 3 Endrinrigers and one Khemist on the side of the now dead Skullreapers and that was it. We called the game right there, as I would most likely kill the rest by round 4. Warriros and Deathbringer never really got into fight, my second priest just summoned the Wraith Axe and buffed reapers.

- Not much I can say about this game, as it is with heavy melee vs heavy range armies, whoever wins the second round won the game.

-BT swing to 4 units was basically what decided the game, as their poor bravery kicked in

-Skullreapers output was really devastating againts the Endrinrigers and Thunderers, around 5 MW + 14-15 attacks got through, its just great you dont need to collect skulls anymore and get the full power on round 1

2. Game was againts Fyreslayers, Realm of Metal I believe (-1 save for being behind cover when chosen by enemy). 5 objectives in a star formation, controlling opposing corners was worth 3, individualy 1 and center one for 2. Opponent played something like 30 Vulkite Berzerkers,  10 Vulkite Berzerks with Shield,1 Runefather on Magmadroth, 10 Hearthguard Berzerks, Battlesmith, Runesmith. He chose to go first, moved up for objectives and deployed 30 Berzerkers right behind me, which I was counting on, prepared a pretty thin line for him so not much could get to battle at once, and had my Skullreapers and BT in the back ready for them. This is where the game got kinda RNG skewed because I rolled 4 6 with my BR on them and they lost good 13-14 dwarfs with regular attacks, he managed to get only like 5 or 6 dwarfs in to fight with Skullreapers and managed to do 2 wounds to them, then they just sealed the deal by killing another 7-8 dwarfs. Meanwhile in the middle warriors took the middle point and limiting the number of unites he could get around the point. He won second turn and marched his Hearthguards on the warriors, however they were holding their ground really good and survived the double attack while packing a punch back, due to the terrain + altar and the way my warrriors stood he was unable to get the Magmadroth in fight, so with Bronzed flash and support from two priests and Wraith-axe and Deathbringer and Bloodsecrator they actually won the fight in the end with I believe 3 guys surviving and taking the point back. While his other 10 Berzerkers with shields were stuck in fight with Reavers on the other flank who kept them locked in it. We sadly had to end the game there due to time (it took us long time to set up, plus he were not familiar with new Khorne and I was not with Fyreslayers) so the killpoints decided the game, but I believe I would have tabled him in the upcoming turn or two, as all I lost was 7 warriors in total and one unit of Reavers.

-BT was clear MVP of this game,  evaporating the 30 berzerks basically took all the tooth and claw from the dwarf and he was just left there in the middle with no backup plan.

-This time the Goretide ability of rerolling 1s for wounds for warriors and reavers actually kicked in and was very helpful, rerolling both 1s for hits and wounds increases the number of attacks you can squeez in by a lot and was super easy to activate it due to 5 objectives in the play

-Deathbringer got to swing in once killing a few Hearthguards, the -2 rend with gorecleaver is very good and basically our only solid option of -2 rend with BT. However got piled back by the Hearthguards managing to evaporate him in single strike, proving once again that 4+ save and 5 wounds is nothing

-The way I could have setup the Altar in this scenario was just too damn good, managed to create a chokepoint and also managed to hide Secrator behind it while making Priests stick around it very easily.

3. game was againts FEC, -1 to bravery to Stormcast by realm, 3 objectives in the middle verticaly while 1 of the being worth 3 points for the round. Opponend played really heavy Courtier/Flayers list with 2x6 Flayers, 1x3 Flayers and 2 Batheroes (Im really not familiar with the FEC, sorry), summoning Varghulf and 3 Crypt Horrors. Boy, oh boy arent the new FEC annoying. I started by creating a line and just moving forward, fullbuffing Skullreapers and stationing them wholy withing forest, thinking they will be the key to plowing the Flyers down fully so they cannot get the models back. Reapers went on sides without any support while the rest went down the middle. Also managed to summon Axe which I parked next to BT, so he had two sides covered (second one by terrain), towards the side he had 6 and 3 units of Flayers so he cannot YOLO the BT. Yeah, well, on his turn he moved by his stupid 14" and yoloed the skullreapers without giving them a chance to strike back at all with the double attack also killing Stoker who was hiding behind them. 5+ rolls on MW back proved to be pretty unforgiving at times. Summoned Horrors were taking care of one of the reavers without any support, the other reavers got taken care of by Varghulf and the 6 Flayers. This is where the Axe proved extremely good and I believe it was the only reason I managed to get back. The 4+ hit on Flayers debuffed to 5+ proved to crucial and the damage output was also great, striking two Flayers units AND due to the big body also blocking one whole side of the BT so only two flayers could get in at time protected my BT from getting annihilated on the first turn. Lucky for me the 3 point objective jumped to middle, which was the only one I was controlling. Opponent won a double turn, returned two Flayers models I managed to kill with counterattacks and proceeded with the swift killing he was delivering on the round one. His 6+3 Flayers got in combat with Bloodsecrator, BT, one Slaughterpriest  and Deathbringer. However both units had to be withing the Axe now and whiffed most of his attacks because of the -1 to hit, I believe each of the models suffered 1 wound exactly. His other 6 flayers+Varghulf from the bottom were trying to get to the BT from the otherside, however the Warriors were in the way so he had to deal with them first. And oh boy did they deliver being the Anvil of Khorne. The unit with Bronzed flesh whistaned all their double attack pummeling and managed to in return kill one with No Respite and another with classic attacks., due to the 3 rr1, 4, rr1 attacks with Goreaxes+Goretide just being so great. BT however whiffed his attack completely, proving the 4+ rr1 on hit is his biggest weakness. Deathbringer managed to deliver some beating, but the priest and secrator not much, in total killing and damaging 1 flayer in each unit. In my turn I managed to do some extra wounds with Blood boils and Axe, however I had all the units except of one Priest in combat so there was not so much moving. I decided to summon 3 Bloodcrushers to get them in the fight ASAP as there were only 3 warriors left, luckily they managed to charge and do 3 MW on the charge. I activated BT first and Carnage it was, rolled 2 6, dealing 8 MW to all three Flayers unit and Varghulf, leaving a model or two here and there, which were no issues clearing up with the rest of the force. Again, time was up due to army introductions again, victory points were a draw, but I won on killpoints as I killed all his 6+6+3 Flayers and Varghulf.

Wont do my observations from this game and will just do all of them together:

-Wraith-axe just proved to be super godly, deciding one game for me by itself, managed to summon it every game with the rerolls atleast once

-Slaughterpriests, played one by the altar for rerolls on Judgements, one with Secrator due to Gore Pilgrims

-Gore Pilgrims were fine, but I just thing Slaughterborn now will be much better, the extra 8" did not make a big difference as you still cant reach the other flanks

-Altar rerolls are crucial, the -1 to cast will not have effect 90% of time due to it being in your deploy zone, heavily dependent on scenario being played

-BT proved that he can be the big bad hammer we need even without any daemon support or synergy, having the key roll for me in all three games

-Reavers are still bad, Goretide rr1 to wounds increase their damage output a little, but still nothing relevant and I will rather take Hounds next time

-Never actually used the Goretide command ability, the only time I would have would be the 1st game vs Kharadron where there was fire realm, meaning I would be taking 2d3 MW on my warriors

-Skullreapers are still great, whipped + killing frenzy makes them way too killy for 180pts, no longer need to get the skulls rolling to get the rerolls is just great and I will gladly sacriface it for the way they are now... the only thing I dont like is the loss of rend, I would rather have 4+/3+/-1/1 than 3+/3+/0/1

-Goretide+Goreaxes is just great on warriors, I will next time however try Gorefists, as I had no time to change them before the tournament this time

-Deathbringer is great with gorecleave now, delivering some  sneaky punishment, but is very squishy and I will probably not use him next time and will rather put Ghyrstrike on BT or something

Sorry for the big wall of text, hopefully my observations will be helpful to some here who actually sees the potential in the new book.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Pejzub said:

Hey guys,

Longtime lurker here, making my first post. First of all, the amount of salt here is incredible, the only thing higher than that is the amount of people who deem Khorne bad now while misquoting the new rules, just confirming they have not read the book yet (some people trying to defend the book with made up rules also though, to be fair). Also some of the topics keep re-surging all the time, as people are lazy to read I.E. it has been confirmed few pages back that Wrathmongers are not going to get FAQed and it is intended, yet some people spread it like a gospel that the current state is temporary.

Now to the point, I have played on Saturday in a 1500pts tournament  in which I finished 2nd (1 major win, 2 minor) and I will write a little summary of the games below for anybody interested.

Here is the list I played with:

- Slaughterhost: The Goretide

Leaders
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)
Bloodsecrator (140)
- General
- Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
- Artefact: Gorecleaver

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
5 x Skullreapers (180)
- Goreslick Blades

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (140)

Endless Spells
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

1. game was againts Kharadron overseers, Fire realm (run with 6 and charges 10+ are d3 mortals) and 4 objectives in corners, since round 3 major win for holding all of them, round 5 a win while holding 3. Opponent played with 3x10 Arkanauts, 2x10 Endrinrigers 1x5 Thunderers and 2 Aether-khemists. Decided to let him go first, he had some incredible lucky shooting and managed to snipe my Bloodsecrator, Bloodstoker and 1 Slaughterpriest in the first round and I thought that the game was finished right there.  Luckily I managed to run pretty far without taking any damage from realm, won a double turn and got in fight. One wing 5 skullreapers managed to chew through 5 Thunderers and most of the Endrinrigers supported by one Khemist, there was really no center of the battlefield on my side of table, on his there was 10 Arkanauts which got decimated by the Wraith-axe. Right wing was basically IRBT and 10 reavers againts the rest of his army + summoned Flesh hounds for the 3 Blood tithes I had for my heroes. BT came in clutch exploding on 1 6, hitting both Arkanauts, Endrinrigers and Khemist in process, with the rest of the attacks went to Endrinrigers, Hounds took care of the rest of the Arkanauts and after battleshock he was left with 3 Endrinrigers and Khemist with 1 wound left. After his part of the round he was left with 3 Endrinrigers and one Khemist on the side of the now dead Skullreapers and that was it. We called the game right there, as I would most likely kill the rest by round 4. Warriros and Deathbringer never really got into fight, my second priest just summoned the Wraith Axe and buffed reapers.

- Not much I can say about this game, as it is with heavy melee vs heavy range armies, whoever wins the second round won the game.

-BT swing to 4 units was basically what decided the game, as their poor bravery kicked in

-Skullreapers output was really devastating againts the Endrinrigers and Thunderers, around 5 MW + 14-15 attacks got through, its just great you dont need to collect skulls anymore and get the full power on round 1

2. Game was againts Fyreslayers, Realm of Metal I believe (-1 save for being behind cover when chosen by enemy). 5 objectives in a star formation, controlling opposing corners was worth 3, individualy 1 and center one for 2. Opponent played something like 30 Vulkite Berzerkers,  10 Vulkite Berzerks with Shield,1 Runefather on Magmadroth, 10 Hearthguard Berzerks, Battlesmith, Runesmith. He chose to go first, moved up for objectives and deployed 30 Berzerkers right behind me, which I was counting on, prepared a pretty thin line for him so not much could get to battle at once, and had my Skullreapers and BT in the back ready for them. This is where the game got kinda RNG skewed because I rolled 4 6 with my BR on them and they lost good 13-14 dwarfs with regular attacks, he managed to get only like 5 or 6 dwarfs in to fight with Skullreapers and managed to do 2 wounds to them, then they just sealed the deal by killing another 7-8 dwarfs. Meanwhile in the middle warriors took the middle point and limiting the number of unites he could get around the point. He won second turn and marched his Hearthguards on the warriors, however they were holding their ground really good and survived the double attack while packing a punch back, due to the terrain + altar and the way my warrriors stood he was unable to get the Magmadroth in fight, so with Bronzed flash and support from two priests and Wraith-axe and Deathbringer and Bloodsecrator they actually won the fight in the end with I believe 3 guys surviving and taking the point back. While his other 10 Berzerkers with shields were stuck in fight with Reavers on the other flank who kept them locked in it. We sadly had to end the game there due to time (it took us long time to set up, plus he were not familiar with new Khorne and I was not with Fyreslayers) so the killpoints decided the game, but I believe I would have tabled him in the upcoming turn or two, as all I lost was 7 warriors in total and one unit of Reavers.

-BT was clear MVP of this game,  evaporating the 30 berzerks basically took all the tooth and claw from the dwarf and he was just left there in the middle with no backup plan.

-This time the Goretide ability of rerolling 1s for wounds for warriors and reavers actually kicked in and was very helpful, rerolling both 1s for hits and wounds increases the number of attacks you can squeez in by a lot and was super easy to activate it due to 5 objectives in the play

-Deathbringer got to swing in once killing a few Hearthguards, the -2 rend with gorecleaver is very good and basically our only solid option of -2 rend with BT. However got piled back by the Hearthguards managing to evaporate him in single strike, proving once again that 4+ save and 5 wounds is nothing

-The way I could have setup the Altar in this scenario was just too damn good, managed to create a chokepoint and also managed to hide Secrator behind it while making Priests stick around it very easily.

3. game was againts FEC, -1 to bravery to Stormcast by realm, 3 objectives in the middle verticaly while 1 of the being worth 3 points for the round. Opponend played really heavy Courtier/Flayers list with 2x6 Flayers, 1x3 Flayers and 2 Batheroes (Im really not familiar with the FEC, sorry), summoning Varghulf and 3 Crypt Horrors. Boy, oh boy arent the new FEC annoying. I started by creating a line and just moving forward, fullbuffing Skullreapers and stationing them wholy withing forest, thinking they will be the key to plowing the Flyers down fully so they cannot get the models back. Reapers went on sides without any support while the rest went down the middle. Also managed to summon Axe which I parked next to BT, so he had two sides covered (second one by terrain), towards the side he had 6 and 3 units of Flayers so he cannot YOLO the BT. Yeah, well, on his turn he moved by his stupid 14" and yoloed the skullreapers without giving them a chance to strike back at all with the double attack also killing Stoker who was hiding behind them. 5+ rolls on MW back proved to be pretty unforgiving at times. Summoned Horrors were taking care of one of the reavers without any support, the other reavers got taken care of by Varghulf and the 6 Flayers. This is where the Axe proved extremely good and I believe it was the only reason I managed to get back. The 4+ hit on Flayers debuffed to 5+ proved to crucial and the damage output was also great, striking two Flayers units AND due to the big body also blocking one whole side of the BT so only two flayers could get in at time protected my BT from getting annihilated on the first turn. Lucky for me the 3 point objective jumped to middle, which was the only one I was controlling. Opponent won a double turn, returned two Flayers models I managed to kill with counterattacks and proceeded with the swift killing he was delivering on the round one. His 6+3 Flayers got in combat with Bloodsecrator, BT, one Slaughterpriest  and Deathbringer. However both units had to be withing the Axe now and whiffed most of his attacks because of the -1 to hit, I believe each of the models suffered 1 wound exactly. His other 6 flayers+Varghulf from the bottom were trying to get to the BT from the otherside, however the Warriors were in the way so he had to deal with them first. And oh boy did they deliver being the Anvil of Khorne. The unit with Bronzed flesh whistaned all their double attack pummeling and managed to in return kill one with No Respite and another with classic attacks., due to the 3 rr1, 4, rr1 attacks with Goreaxes+Goretide just being so great. BT however whiffed his attack completely, proving the 4+ rr1 on hit is his biggest weakness. Deathbringer managed to deliver some beating, but the priest and secrator not much, in total killing and damaging 1 flayer in each unit. In my turn I managed to do some extra wounds with Blood boils and Axe, however I had all the units except of one Priest in combat so there was not so much moving. I decided to summon 3 Bloodcrushers to get them in the fight ASAP as there were only 3 warriors left, luckily they managed to charge and do 3 MW on the charge. I activated BT first and Carnage it was, rolled 2 6, dealing 8 MW to all three Flayers unit and Varghulf, leaving a model or two here and there, which were no issues clearing up with the rest of the force. Again, time was up due to army introductions again, victory points were a draw, but I won on killpoints as I killed all his 6+6+3 Flayers and Varghulf.

Wont do my observations from this game and will just do all of them together:

-Wraith-axe just proved to be super godly, deciding one game for me by itself, managed to summon it every game with the rerolls atleast once

-Slaughterpriests, played one by the altar for rerolls on Judgements, one with Secrator due to Gore Pilgrims

-Gore Pilgrims were fine, but I just thing Slaughterborn now will be much better, the extra 8" did not make a big difference as you still cant reach the other flanks

-Altar rerolls are crucial, the -1 to cast will not have effect 90% of time due to it being in your deploy zone, heavily dependent on scenario being played

-BT proved that he can be the big bad hammer we need even without any daemon support or synergy, having the key roll for me in all three games

-Reavers are still bad, Goretide rr1 to wounds increase their damage output a little, but still nothing relevant and I will rather take Hounds next time

-Never actually used the Goretide command ability, the only time I would have would be the 1st game vs Kharadron where there was fire realm, meaning I would be taking 2d3 MW on my warriors

-Skullreapers are still great, whipped + killing frenzy makes them way too killy for 180pts, no longer need to get the skulls rolling to get the rerolls is just great and I will gladly sacriface it for the way they are now... the only thing I dont like is the loss of rend, I would rather have 4+/3+/-1/1 than 3+/3+/0/1

-Goretide+Goreaxes is just great on warriors, I will next time however try Gorefists, as I had no time to change them before the tournament this time

-Deathbringer is great with gorecleave now, delivering some  sneaky punishment, but is very squishy and I will probably not use him next time and will rather put Ghyrstrike on BT or something

Sorry for the big wall of text, hopefully my observations will be helpful to some here who actually sees the potential in the new book.

- I myself enjoy Blood Warriors with Dual-Axes. I find them best used in sets of 10 for the Gorecleaver and icon. 

- I also find Bloodreavers to be essentially worthless. Not even the 70 points they cost.

- I struggle with how to play my Slaughterpriests. Wholly within 8'' of the Altar is so crucial but limits your range so hard. Is it worth straying a priest away from the Altar and risking no-reroll prayers?

- My IR bloodthirster murdered 16/20 Dispossessed yesterday after a clutch summoning. I love him ❤️ 

- I LOVE Exalted Deathbringer with Gorecleaver. What a lad. He solo'd a Keeper of Secrets for me :D 80 points annihilated 260 in 1 go, but yeah he's pretty glass cannon and got blew up the next turn by something else :/

- I also find no compelling reason to use the Goretide command ability after the 1st turn. Perhaps I should take a squad of warriors with my murder bubble to shoot them off later if I need them to get somewhere quick. 

- Next time I use skullreapers I'll remember to count my 6's more than once or twice a game ;-; they didn't do a whole lot against dwarves re-rolling ALL saves with no rend cuz I forgot my mortal wounds oof. 

- I'm also struggling to find a battalion I like. I plan to test Bloodforged, and Bloodmad myself and when I get Daemons a Murderhost. 

Thanks for the feedback and observations :) I'll be testing a new list this weekend hopefully. I found I enjoy Slaughterborn, but it's a little lacking in punch for my taste and also I played it wrong, which almost makes it worse in my opinion as my opponent had no rend in melee only shooting so it was 180 wasted points if I had played it right, and a lot more of my stuff probably should have died 😧 

- I hope to try Mighty Skullcrushers as a hammer, but I want a few more games with Skullreapers. 

- For just super killy heroes I am going to try Skullgrinder with Mark of the Destroyer for extra attacks and Hew the Foe for 4 damage. 

- I love Exalted Deathbringer with Exalted Spear with Gorecleaver.  

- I really want to figure out how to make a Daemon Prince work because he looks cool and I'm actually painting him lol. 4 attacks hitting on 3's, wounding on 3's -2 rend D3 damage and then 3 attacks at 3/3/-/2 and we can pump those numbers up! According to Azyr he can't take any daemonic artifacts though, but buffs from attack granting things should work on him right? 

Edited by Ravinsild

52 minutes ago, Pejzub said:

Hey guys,

Longtime lurker here, making my first post. First of all, the amount of salt here is incredible, the only thing higher than that is the amount of people who deem Khorne bad now while misquoting the new rules, just confirming they have not read the book yet

Yes but we can drive the salt levels down with good tips and advice, experiences and actual bat-reps. The salty ones have had a shot across their bows from the Mods so lets get on and discuss what works!

Glad you did so well in the tourney!

• Like 1

Another question, as I dont see a restriction in book, can the General of the slautherhost Goretide be a Bloodthirste and recevie Command Trait - Hew the Foe?

As I said I cannot find a restriction is book

5 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

Another question, as I dont see a restriction in book, can the General of the slautherhost Goretide be a Bloodthirste and recevie Command Trait - Hew the Foe?

You can. It just won't get re-roll wound rolls of 1 wholly within 12'' of an objective marker. 

3 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

Im pretty sure he can, I was also debating it, but in the end did not find it worth it in the end.

29 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

- I struggle with how to play my Slaughterpriests. Wholly within 8'' of the Altar is so crucial but limits your range so hard. Is it worth straying a priest away from the Altar and risking no-reroll prayers?

- I also find no compelling reason to use the Goretide command ability after the 1st turn. Perhaps I should take a squad of warriors with my murder bubble to shoot them off later if I need them to get somewhere quick. 

- Next time I use skullreapers I'll remember to count my 6's more than once or twice a game ;-; they didn't do a whole lot against dwarves re-rolling ALL saves with no rend cuz I forgot my mortal wounds oof. 

- I hope to try Mighty Skullcrushers as a hammer, but I want a few more games with Skullreapers.

I played one Slaughterpriest by the Altar for Axe rerolls, as I casting it without it seems even more un-reliable, while the second one followed Secrator for the Gore Pilgrims buff + could stay within 8" of the Axe for the sweet buff

I could see myself using it later in game, when I secure one flank and need to move quickly to the other one, especially with Slaughterborn and bunch of Warrior units eligible to move fast, but with Gore Pilgrims I just didnt

I dont really see Skullcrushers as hammers, they get some nice mortal wounds on charge, but thats about it, then they are stucked in fight with mediocre attacks at best, Bloodcrushers do basically the same but for cheaper (sure, they are less durable)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pejzub said:

Im pretty sure he can, I was also debating it, but in the end did not find it worth it in the end.

I played one Slaughterpriest by the Altar for Axe rerolls, as I casting it without it seems even more un-reliable, while the second one followed Secrator for the Gore Pilgrims buff + could stay within 8" of the Axe for the sweet buff

I could see myself using it later in game, when I secure one flank and need to move quickly to the other one, especially with Slaughterborn and bunch of Warrior units eligible to move fast, but with Gore Pilgrims I just didnt

I dont really see Skullcrushers as hammers, they get some nice mortal wounds on charge, but thats about it, then they are stucked in fight with mediocre attacks at best, Bloodcrushers do basically the same but for cheaper (sure, they are less durable)

It's my plan to get Wrath & Rapture and 2 Start Collecting! Daemons of Khorne boxes at some point to have a nice daemon base to try some daemons units for hammers at some point but at this time I haven't got any. 

Mighty Skullcrushers at a unit of 6 is 6 D3 mortal wounds (At best 18 at worst 6 at worst worst 0 [all 1's D:]), plus 3 attacks base, 4/3/-1/1 and then 4 attacks at 3/3/0/1 (same as skullreapers :shrug:) with a +1 hit and re-rolling wounds (Stoked, Killing Frenzy) and some extra attacks it could hit really hit potentially. I just want to try it out at least twice before I say they can't hit hard. :shrug: 

Edited by Ravinsild

Worth noting that people were mentioning that it is hard to stoke 6 Skullcrushers due to the whole 8" wholly within.  They are also 360 points, at which I just see BTIR or Skarbrand hammering more, or even 10 Skullreapers.

Hey guys, I know there are a lot of lists being posted here but I'd love some feedback on what to exchange the Chaos Warriors in this list for. The rest I'll keep as it is for the time being, but right now I'm struggling whether to switch the CWs for BWs or try to squeeze in the Axe instead of the Hex skulls. Suggestions?

Skullfiend Tribe

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 160 
-Artifact: Gorecleaver

Exalted Deathbringer
-Artifact: Crowncleaver (+2A)

Bloodsecrator 140

Bloodstoker 80

Slaughterpriest 100

10 Bloodreavers 70 
-Meatripper Axes

10 Blood Warriors 200
-Gorefists

10 Chaos Warriors 180 ~will eventually upgrade these to Blood Warriors, or something else?
-HW/Shield

M Skullcrushers 180
-Glaives 

Khorgorath 100
Khorgorath 100

Skullreapers 180
Skullreapers 180

Slaughterborn battalion 180
Hex skulls 40

1980 / 2000

Edited by Bjornas
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Darksteve said:

@Killax

How do you use bloodletters in your first wave? I've been taking msu reavers as my initial speedbumps in my cannon focused list at 1000 points, but I was curious why you thought letters made a better screen. Usually I have the spare cp to make them bs immune and at 70 point/10 they speed bump pretty well on 32mm bases.

Just move them up and force your opponent to move with 1-2 Skullcannons and 1-2 Wrathmonger units. Combined with Slaughterpriests that's pretty much all there is to it. One of the stongest aspects to Bloodletters now is Reapers of Vengeance's host who allows them to fight again. In addition to that, the key to victory with Khorne is to not solely focus on melee combat but instead use ranged support to force an opponent out and hit them over and over again.

If thats to slow for you the alternative can still be found in the Bloodlords with or without Tyrants of Blood. The prime reason why I am not big on Bloodreavers is that if we're using CP there it means key units don't get the buff that allows you to break the opponent.

The set up of 'new' Khorne is simple and very efficient, grab some Slaughterpriets, Judgements of Khorne and Skullcannons to make your opponent move. Then apply heavy blows to whatever shows up first. 

20 hours ago, jazman84 said:

And I hate it... What have they done to my Khorne?

What they have done is added tactical depth. We arn't somely good in Melee combat. We arguably have the best Priests and Spells. 

While true that Khorne never was big on Slaughterpriests, Endless Spells and ranged support in Warhammer Fantasy, in Age of Sigmar we even had Khul control a Deathstar. What I like about this book more as the previous one is the true variation and depth in choice.

A new book will always force you to reconsider the army as a whole. This has been true for all AoS2 updates.

• Like 1

@Killax

Sorry I may have phrased my question incorrectly. Do you run them in big untits or has msu worked fine for you. Do you find they need a buff baby sitter(so a bloodsecrator and/or wrathmonger with them as well as cannons?)

A more general question. If I have a unit of wrathmongers, in order to benefit does the unit need to be wholly within 8" of 1 wrathmonger or is the unit fine as long as all parts are wholly within one of the members of the unit. (So lets say 10 are within 1 wrathmonger model and 5 are in another)

Good day community!

So I've tinkering with my soulgrinders and comed up with such a list:

- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Daemon Prince of Khorne (160)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst 
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Skullgrinder (80)
- Artefact: Halo of Blood 
Skarr Bloodwrath (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Warriors (90)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Behemoths
Soul Grinder (260)
Soul Grinder (260)

Battalions
Bloodforged (120)

Endless Spells
Wrath-Axe (60)
Bleeding Icon (40)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

A bit of sacrificial lambs for one priest to slaughter near the altar. Two mini-speedbumps to wrap soulgrinders. And kind of second-wave / shooting buff for soulgrinders in form of Bloodforged battalion with Skarr. Daemonprince to jump from behind with his 16" move and wreck some heroes with 4+ sword of Judgement (like Khorn knew... lol) or even heal big monsters with bloodlords ability.

Judgements for damage and tunneling-screening foes for Khorne-train.

Gamestyle will be asmuch agressive as it could be - I hope that sacrifice and Skarr will generate enought tithe fir Blood Rain or some late game summon.

What do you think?

Edited by Laier
  • Like 1