AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

18 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Is a Khorne Daemon Prince worth taking? I feel like he is a little out place. Does anyone have any good combos or ways to use him?

He’s a natural force multiplier for Daemons and doesn’t degrade like Bloodthirsters. He also hits pretty darn hard with the Ghyrstrike, especially when you use the Reapers of Vengeance command ability. 

I plan on using him as a flanker who fights first and unloads a lot of damage with a small footprint to mitigate retaliation. He can also Fly, which means you can find really opportune places for him to end up piling in from.

49 minutes ago, Rivener said:

He’s a natural force multiplier for Daemons and doesn’t degrade like Bloodthirsters. He also hits pretty darn hard with the Ghyrstrike, especially when you use the Reapers of Vengeance command ability. 

I plan on using him as a flanker who fights first and unloads a lot of damage with a small footprint to mitigate retaliation. He can also Fly, which means you can find really opportune places for him to end up piling in from.

How does he force multiply? Aside from the Locus of Khorne which all Daemon heros get innately? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

How does he force multiply? Aside from the Locus of Khorne which all Daemon heros get innately? 🤔

That’s what I’m referring to. You could always give him the Mark of the Slayer if you prefer Mortals and Monsters, though.

7 hours ago, n1ceguypaul said:

Hey guys just wondering is the soulgrinder not available to play in aos anymore. Was looking at the model and really like it but can't find anything about it in the book and gw have removed rules for sigmar from the website.

He´s still in the AoS App, althrough a bit hidden since the redesign. You have to Filter for Grand Alliance Chaos and Scroll down untill "Chaos" to get his profile (Or, just scrolling, which may take some time).

Also Warscroll Builder was recently updated so you can pick him as Behemoth for Khorne right away without having to change unit selection first.

I actually got one two months ago. It´s quite fun and through the additional attacks he actually gets to trigger the "Caught by the Claw" Ability from time to time. I only got it once so far but then it was pretty cool. Btw Rolling for your guess is totaly legit and gives you the same 1/6th chance to win the minigame without going deep into mindgames, at least untill you notice a pattern your friends use, which is perfectly fine to abuse as it is a mind game mini game. yeah. Eat this Tzeentch.

10 hours ago, MOMUS said:

Yea I've been looking at this too, in particular the Lord on Daemonic mount who I think could be a really good addition, as he has the mortal and daemon keyword. 

Some comparisons below as the skullmaster and jugger have both gone up in points.

Skullmaster  +20 (120)
+decapitaiting 6s is in addition 
-slaughterous charge only on 2+

Lord on Dmount 140
+10 movement
+mortal and daemon keyword

Jugger lord +20 (160)
-shield only on 5+
+charge is on 2+

Yeah.  Althrough I had different ideas:
The Goretide-Trait goes great with the Lord of Chaos and Chaos Lord on Manticore as both have 2 Weapons that profit from the +1 Dmg Trait, making both quite devastating. Lord on Manticore with a charge has a 3x 3+/3+ -1 4Dmg  and a 4x 3+/3+ - D3+1 Profile. Also you can improve him Further with several Artifacts when you take some battalion like the Gorepilgrims as the Bloodsecrator is pretty happy about the goretide artifact.

Btw, the nerf to the Bloodsecrator-Totem that gave "Reroll all Hits instead of only ones" is a little bit of a neckbreaker for me as I have 30 Chaos Warriors with Handweapons that I solely build for that combo :(

5 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Is a Khorne Daemon Prince worth taking? I feel like he is a little out place. Does anyone have any good combos or ways to use him?

It used to be Immense power + an artefact like the crimson crown. I'm trying to cook up a new combo.

Rage unchained is good. 1 extra attack on both weapons (axe and claws!), not so sure on an artefact though. Now he has an inbuilt rerolling 1s to hit, and that's what I used to give him to avoid whiffing. Maybe Foe's Bane? 🤔

I used to run him as my beatstick general. +1 damage and a reroll buff aura was great with fly and 12" movement. 

... Can I give him Hew the foe btw? From the Goretide? 🤔

Edited by Mikeymajq

1 hour ago, Mikeymajq said:

It used to be Immense power + an artefact like the crimson crown. I'm trying to cook up a new combo.

Rage unchained is good. 1 extra attack on both weapons (axe and claws!), not so sure on an artefact though. Now he has an inbuilt rerolling 1s to hit, and that's what I used to give him to avoid whiffing. Maybe Foe's Bane? 🤔

I used to run him as my beatstick general. +1 damage and a reroll buff aura was great with fly and 12" movement. 

... Can I give him Hew the foe btw? From the Goretide? 🤔

What's frustrating is the redundancy for that stuff. ALL Khorne Daemon heroes have a massive "All Khorne Daemons re-roll Hit Rolls of 1" right? So that makes picking him as dedicated to Khorne patently redundant and worthless because that's the special ability he gets for being Khorne :| Same with Insensate Rage Bloodthirster on the charge TBH. Like they just HAVE re-roll hit rolls of 1's already. Can't we get something else? :(

Edit: Haha jk I was wrong. Daemon prince get +1 TO hit. 

Edited by Ravinsild

2 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

What's frustrating is the redundancy for that stuff. ALL Khorne Daemon heroes have a massive "All Khorne Daemons re-roll Hit Rolls of 1" right? So that makes picking him as dedicated to Khorne patently redundant and worthless because that's the special ability he gets for being Khorne :| Same with Insensate Rage Bloodthirster on the charge TBH. Like they just HAVE re-roll hit rolls of 1's already. Can't we get something else? :(

You add 1 to his hit rolls for being Khorne. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

He gets +1 to hit :)

But the artefact Mark of the slayer is pretty uselless now. Sure it works for all Khorne and not just daemons... But... I mean... ugh xD

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Khorne oddity confirmed XD

TBH most of the possibilities come to hit modifiers. But you're right, that should clearly not be all we got!

But it seems...it is.

A lot of work being done with Reapers of Vengeance. Blood Lords has some cool tricks as well. 

Tyrants of Blood with Blood Lords, although not piling in twice in a turn, you are exchanging this for the ability to heal your blood thirsters 1 Wound (this effect can be activated more than once), while getting to pile in and attack with all three or more blood thirsters every combat before the enemy - even on there turn (before priority). 

What this means is that Halo of Blood triggers every combat phase, not only your own. And Tyrants of Blood states that if a member of the battalion attacks, all others that are within 3" of an enemy unit can pile in and attack as well.

**Potentially, should your opponent charge with a unit, you can swing and drop some Bloodthirster wounds on them prior to their attacks, thus nerfing or possibly stunting their charge entirely. **

Best part of this is that you can take the Crimson Crown as your additional artefact to give to one of your Bloodthirsters to give them a free command ability so you can bank your command points to activate your Slaughterer's Thirst multiple times, taking all of your Bloodthirsters out of brackets potentially. I would recommend giving the Crimson Crown to your WoK Bloodthirster to gain advantage of rerolling hit rolls for your Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage. Although, the Pile in at 6" ability for the Unfettered Fury is tempting.

Supplement this list with a few daemons to bog down units or "bubble wrap" your Tyrants of Blood ( rerolling 1s to Hit cause they are daemons, and wounds on heroes and monsters as a bonus from Blood Lords). I would also add one or two Slaughterpriests or a Chaos Warshrine to bring in some judgements and buffing rerollable prayers, and this list is pretty broken. (yes, Chaos warshrine can take Judgements and a Bloodblessing, and Favoured of Khorne Prayer. All while delivering a 6+ ignore mortal wound bubble).

BloodThirster of Insensate Rage

• Like 2

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)

- Halo of Blood : Artefact

- Slaughterer's Thirst

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)

- Crimson Crown

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)

Slaughterpriest

- Killing Frenzy

Bloodmaster Herald of Khorne (80)

10x Bloodletters (110)

10x Bloodletters (110)

10xBloodletters (110)

Chaos Warshrine (160)

- Blood Sacrifice

Garrek's Reavers (60)

Skull Alter (0)

Wrath-Axe (Khorne Judgment) (60)

Tyrants of Blood (140)

Murder Host (160)

1990/2000

I know bloodletters in units of 10 seem like nothing, but the main killing power will be in the Bloodthirsters, Warshrine helps some staying power, but if you are too attached to your units you are playing Khorne wrong, as the blood tithe is important for winning. 

Things will be Dying from the Tyrants of Blood Wrecking ball and the Bloodletters are primarily meant to hold objectives or tie down units. I always bring Garrek's Reavers as a filler since they are a bit of a wall in front of my slaughterpriest or Chaos Warshrine and you can more often than not get 3 bloodtithe from them through Blood Sacrifice and 1 for them dying. 60pts for 4 bloodtithe is actually a steal. 

Taking most of your units in 2 Battalions more often than not guarantees you the 1st Turn, which you want to get in there and start swinging. If you aren't in combat with Khorne, you are most likely not winning. Adding 2 inches to run and charge rolls for your bloodletters helps them get into position faster and claim those objectives. A lot of games I play are won or lost by a matter of inches. Bloodmaster is an option for Command Points when you are not needing to heal your Bloodthirsters a lot (probably will need to though so save some) and allows a tied up unit of Bloodletters to swing, doubling up on your activations.

There are lots of great things in this Battle Tome! and I know some gripe about the nerfs, but all in all, we have a ton more options!

• Like 1

Daemon prince of khorne is a fantastic unit. He can fly and has lovus to reroll hits of 1 plus he has an innate +1 to hit. The obvious combo for him is blade of judgement (D6 MW on a 6+ v hero and behemoth) and immense power (+1 attack). Add a cheeky killing frenzy and those D6 MW are firing off on a 4. Normal hits on 2 and reroll 1. All for 160 points

17 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Daemon prince of khorne is a fantastic unit. He can fly and has lovus to reroll hits of 1 plus he has an innate +1 to hit. The obvious combo for him is blade of judgement (D6 MW on a 6+ v hero and behemoth) and immense power (+1 attack). Add a cheeky killing frenzy and those D6 MW are firing off on a 4. Normal hits on 2 and reroll 1. All for 160 points

Aren’t the mortal wounds on unmodified 6 so a natural 6 face on the die? 

I'd rather make my Daemon Prince my Goretide General so he gets the +1 damage on all his weapons, and then Ghyrstrike for +1 hit and +1 wound. Hitting and wounding on 2s, rerolling 1s to hit. Take the axe, hit / wound on 2s, -2 rend, D3+1 damage. Your claw is now also 3 damage. Stay inside the Bloodsecrator banner for more attacks. Back when you could do this with Immense Power warlord trait I used one of those damage websites to see the damage, and well, it 'aint bad (this was before he got reroll hits of 1):

vTBt09Q.png

I tried this out in a game and you go around tearing through units like nothing. The only problem is the Daemon Prince is a pretty weak (defensively) unit, so you can't just fire and forget. He has to jump into targets that either are going to die asap or are going to take enough damage that they can't kill him instantly. That's really the only downside to him: he's squishy.

• LOVE IT! 1

I was looking at other possible heroes to take and the Lord of Chaos aint half bad considering you can buff his reaper blade ability with Stoker giving him reroll 1 to hit and reroll all failed wounds on a 3/3 2d6 damage. Reroll all failed hits with Warshrine. Gives him a good chance to actually take down an enemy general turning him into Daemon Prince.

I also noticed that Darkoath can only be taken as allies and cannot be givin a mark. I stand by my suspicions that they will not be able to take marks like rest of STD.

Edited by ChaosUndivided

So I just built my Altar of Skulls, and it is pretty big—so big and tall  in fact that I wonder if enemies around the altar base with an attack range of 1” can even hit someone standing on it. I mean, how is the attack range measured in vertical space, from the weapon of the model?

Edited by Zamik

14 hours ago, Charleston said:

He´s still in the AoS App, althrough a bit hidden since the redesign. You have to Filter for Grand Alliance Chaos and Scroll down untill "Chaos" to get his profile (Or, just scrolling, which may take some time).

Also Warscroll Builder was recently updated so you can pick him as Behemoth for Khorne right away without having to change unit selection first.

I actually got one two months ago. It´s quite fun and through the additional attacks he actually gets to trigger the "Caught by the Claw" Ability from time to time. I only got it once so far but then it was pretty cool. Btw Rolling for your guess is totaly legit and gives you the same 1/6th chance to win the minigame without going deep into mindgames, at least untill you notice a pattern your friends use, which is perfectly fine to abuse as it is a mind game mini game. yeah. Eat this Tzeentch.

Sounds like fun. That's the main reason I picked him up he also looks pretty nasty and I never see it on the table so thought I would give it a try.

• Like 1