AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

31 minutes ago, Karol said:

They sit on objectives and die. Running something else would probablly be better, though I don't have any other models.

Blood warriors I think. Am not sure, but I think they are required for some of the battalions that actually get used.

I have 14 with Gorefists and 30 with Dual Axes. I’ve got loads of Blood Warriors :)

3 minutes ago, Karol said:

And intelectual blindness strikes me again. Guess this means your done as mortal goes, maybe another unit of wrathmongers to switch things up from time to time, but it is hardly crucial.

Seems to me the best way to get those is through Slaughterstorm because then you get a bunch of extra stuff. 

Just not sure I need 3 whole Skarr Bloodwraths...

On 5. Juli 2018 at 2:31 PM, Praecautus said:

Thanks it's bigger now ?

Sure here you go. It's a kit bashed dark eldar scourge, chaos shield and blood letter horns on a hero base. The spear is the dark eldar one from the kit with a skull stuck on.

Nice kitbash! I have the original GW model, but it is still unpainted?

A question for anyone here, which Aspiring Deathbringer do you prefer? I don't like the model of the plain one for 80 points, the Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer on the other hand looks quite cool, but costs 20 points more and has a different ability.

Skar Bloodwrath is interesting, but I think the requirement of killing 8 models is kinda hard to fulfill against certain armies. When I play against the Stormcast army of a friend of mine, I very rarely kill 8 models in a turn (1250 points games).

Edit: I am dumb, it's not only ememy models, but also my models count.

Edited by JetBlackSVW

4 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

1 Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (the real one made of Resin),

Which was based on the real-real one made of metal. A metal one would be really metal in that list of minis ... ;) 

3 hours ago, Karol said:
5 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Am I missing anything critical for my army (that’s not a demon and are they really actually super critical?)  

Blood warriors I think. Am not sure, but I think they are required for some of the battalions that actually get used

@Karol it looks like @Ravinsild may have Blood Warriors, just mislabeled them in the list?

14 Bloodreavers with Gorefists and 30 or so dual-wielding

• Like 1

Am I missing anything critical for my army

Make sure you get a 3rd Slaughterpriest, for Gore Pilgrims.

Skullreapers will often be your main general assault unit, and you've got 3, so you're set there. I immediately thought of the Bloodforged battalion, but you've already got 2 units of Wrathmongers and a stack of Blood Warriors.

I personally love certain Slaves to Darkness units marked Khorne, such as Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount, Chaos Knights, Warriors, Marauders, and Marauder Horsemen, but these are not essential beyond what you have. They just vary slightly in abilities from the true Bloodbound disciples. For example, Knights are more offensive on the charge than Skullcrushers, but have no Rend when not charging. Marauders are cheaper and have a smaller base and better save than Bloodreavers, but are less offensive.

There's also some niche monster stuff which can be interesting, but is often very expensive, like: Chaos War Mammoth (320pts), Soulgrinder (260pts), and Skaarac the Bloodborne (lots??)

If you're building a pure Bloodbound force,  given your existing shopping list, you'll be able to do whatever you want.

Edited by Roark
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roark said:

Am I missing anything critical for my army

@Roark is pretty spot on, probably not “critical” it looks like you’re just in the “filling things out phase” ...

So, stuff you could add could include the “Slaughterbrute Of Khorne” (which isn’t in any of your battalions) or “Archaon”... I know you specifically were indicating “other than Daemons” ... But a Khorne Daemon Prince is also pretty solid. 

Of the centerpiece models, Archaon has a Command ability that allows your heroes to all use their command abilities... and the BoK have a load of them.

Khorgorath are also interesting, (though painful to buy) as they have an 8” ranged attack and have several battalions they can be included in.

The Soul Grinder (while a Daemon) is also nice as it has multiple ranged attacks that a typical Khorne army is missing.

Edited by TheOtherJosh
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

For some reason I hate Bloodletters, I think their heads look incredibly stupid, but I love Bloodthirsters. I don’t have any yet. 

Me too!  I cut their tongues off and I think they look much better.

3 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The Soul Grinder (while a Daemon) is also nice as it has multiple ranged attacks that a typical Khorne army is missing.

I've been meaning to repaint my soul grinder. Any good combos people have found when using one?

6 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Which was based on the real-real one made of metal. A metal one would be really metal in that list of minis ... ;) 

@Karol it looks like @Ravinsild may have Blood Warriors, just mislabeled them in the list?

Whoops you’re right. I have 60+ Bloodreavers some with the re-roll blades and most with the Meatripper Axes. 

26 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys I have a question, I'm not an expert khorne player but how you use bloodwarriors. I mean in a unit of 10 they seems scary , do you prefer use them to hold objective or play aggressive with them? I wanna play a gore pilgrim list!:)

They can be pretty versatile- ive definitely used them for both in the past.

The scary bit comes when you have multiple units of 10 and your opponent not knowing how to deal with them all.

Their weakness is the lack of rend so you need to pick their fight if youre being agressive and you dont want them to get bogged down in combat.

Make sure you build the champion as the one with the goreglaive weapon ;)

Depending on spare points I would tend to run a unit of 5 (or 10 reavers) as a dedicated objective holder. 30pt swing, so whatever is spare pointwise.

• Like 2

Random thought on a potential stealth nerf.

Now ive not read the new stormcast or nighthaunt battletomes, but have listened to a couple of review podcasts. There seems to be a lot of new abilities with 'on a roll of a natural 6' or 'before modifiers' as the condition. So +1 to hit doesnt help trigger the ability.

Which got me thinking about the artifacts in blades of khorne- theres quite a few that have similar wording. On the roll of a 6. (Rather than being written as on the roll of a 6 or more). Eg crimson crown or gore cleaver.

That was previously faq'd. Im sure they used wording along the lines of any roll of a 6 is synonamous with meaning 'a 6 or more'.

Is that still the case in aos2?

If so which faq/erratta is it in? Have looked, cant find.

22 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Random thought on a potential stealth nerf.

Now ive not read the new stormcast or nighthaunt battletomes, but have listened to a couple of review podcasts. There seems to be a lot of new abilities with 'on a roll of a natural 6' or 'before modifiers' as the condition. So +1 to hit doesnt help trigger the ability.

Which got me thinking about the artifacts in blades of khorne- theres quite a few that have similar wording. On the roll of a 6. (Rather than being written as on the roll of a 6 or more). Eg crimson crown or gore cleaver.

That was previously faq'd. Im sure they used wording along the lines of any roll of a 6 is synonamous with meaning 'a 6 or more'.

Is that still the case in aos2?

If so which faq/erratta is it in? Have looked, cant find.

Afaik all relevant units in Khorne (Lord on Juggernaut, Bloodletters, Skullreapers, Bloodthirsters...) have the 6 or more and 6 or higher wording. I haven't found single Khorne unit with a different wording, in my quick search.

Therefore there is no change for Khorne either way.

Edited by Xasz

On 7/9/2018 at 2:01 AM, 2D6 said:

@Mikeboll congrats on team Sweden taking out 2nd place at the 6 Nations event! Would you mind giving us a brief recap of the games you played, how the list performed, what you liked / didn’t like etc? I would be very interested to hear your opinion. From what I’ve seen so far more people seem to be moving in the direction of taking more/all Khorne mortal units in 2.0 rather than the daemons. Your mixed list looks quite interesting. 

Thanx!

First of I love the list and would not change it if i take it again. For me this is the strongest khornelist. Reason being is the 36 bubble from the secrator (reroll successful casting for oponents are big), the rerolls to prayers and the balance of the list. The long range threat from the letters and BT is crucial aswell. 

My list was:

Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)

- General

- Trait: Immense Power 

- Artefact: Doppelganger cloak

Bloodsecrator (140)

- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 

Bloodstoker (80)

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest (100)

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline

30 x Bloodletters (320)

10 x Blood Warriors (200)

- Goreaxe & Gorefist, 1 goreglaive

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

- Reaver Blades

Units

5 x Wrathmongers (180)

1 x Khorgoraths (90)

1 x Khorgoraths (90)

Battalions

Gore Pilgrims (200)

game 1 against Donals 160 damage alot grots. Scenario was better part of valour. This was a tought matchup. Most beacuse the divers can kill the secrator. He hade a firestorm town and roled a redeploy and put 40 grots with 3 fanatics in ambush 9 from my army. Had to take the first turn and charged the block with BT, whiped warriors and khorgorath. Warriors dubbled one the charge and BT ended up fighting fanatics. In his turn he retreated from combat and screened his army, divers did 2 wounds to the stoker. Grots burn my sideobjective for 1 p. Think I won the priority here and buffed up the letters to the teeth making a 30 inch charge into a block of 60 grots, shaman and also pinning the other 60 grotblock. Killed 47 grots and also think i killed the 40 block with warriors.  He hade a warboss nearby so hade 14 modells to my 13 in range of the objective so could not burn it. BT charged the colossal squig and almost killed it. In his turn he popped the commands pumping the remaning grots up to damage 16 but they where in combat so they got a fue attacks in my BT and did not wound it, got one damage 16 wound in my letters that I saved and killed the warriors. My turn and i charged in the mongers in and summon 5 flesh hounds on to his side objective. Grots killed the mongers but I killed the grots and colossal squig. Won priority and the game was over. Super tight and fun game and a great opponent. 

Game 2 was against Tom from Wales and the frostlord and 2 magma dragons in arcane power. Magmas are dead scary so deployed my characters and letters 38 inch away (the threatrange at that moment). I buffed up warriors in the middle and walk forward leaving mongers behind. One magma missed the shot and on killed 2 mongers. One magma charged the warriors and almost killed himself with the warriors fighting when they die. He won prioty and took al objective. One magma missed the shot again and another killed 8 letters, in my turn i charged the remaning magma with mongers and 22 letters into the frostlord leaving him on 1 wound left. Magma killed itself from mongers. A priest shot of a shaman. I won priorty and killed his army apart from som orc. BT stood on the middle objective and i thought I won the game. But my opponent told me he keeped scoring the side objectives even he was dead and RAW his right. I dont think thats intended thou. So Sadly i lost the game. 

Last game was against England and Nigels nurgle in relocating orb. My list is strong against nurgle and my only worry is the wheel killing the secrator. That diddent happen and I took his army of turn 3 i think. The secrator is super strong here shutting down his magic. So ended up day one with 2 wins and a loss. 

First game day 2 was against Stu from Scottland. He played a Arkhan list. Mission was shifting objectives. He took first turn and hade a scary first magic phase with +6 to cast on arkhan. Thats even hard for khorne :). I used the dispell scroll from secrator to stop the mirrors. Swords killed one letter. He popped up lots of skellies on the objectives. In my turn i charge almost my entire army in and killed 50 skellies, 5 knights and the wraith king. I wanted 2 blood tithe to have one more dispell. Fortunately I dident need it. Won priority and charged arkhan with BT, khorgorath and 5 mongers. He hade reroll save from cogs. Killed 10 guards with letters. Thought of summon 5 flesh hounds to prevent him raising warriors from a grave but saved the tithe for pile in in hero phase if arkhan would survive. He diddent and the game was over. 

Last game was against David from  Irland and his nurgle in the orb. Again it ended up with a easy win. It was over turn 2. 

So ended up 4 wins and a loss. Super happy about that! List is stong in a team event where I can avoid the worst match up. The list is really good against nurgle and death which is to popular armys at the moment. I think it will struggle in a singels event thou cos it struggle against seraphon and DoK. Also hard against gunlines. I think i might try it out and see how it goes. Khorne is not compleatly dead my friends! :) 

Edited by Mikeboll
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Mikeboll said:

Thanx!

First of I love the list and would not change it if i take it again. For me this is the strongest khornelist. Reason being is the 36 bubble from the secrator (reroll successful casting for oponents are big), the rerolls to prayers and the balance of the list. The long range threat from the letters and BT is crucial aswell. 

My list was:

Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)

- General

- Trait: Immense Power 

- Artefact: Doppelganger cloak

Bloodsecrator (140)

- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 

Bloodstoker (80)

Slaughterpriest (100)

Slaughterpriest (100)

Slaughterpriest (100)

- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline

30 x Bloodletters (320)

10 x Blood Warriors (200)

- Goreaxe & Gorefist, 1 goreglaive

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

- Reaver Blades

Units

5 x Wrathmongers (180)

1 x Khorgoraths (90)

1 x Khorgoraths (90)

Battalions

Gore Pilgrims (200)

game 1 against Donals 160 damage alot grots. Scenario was better part of valour. This was a tought matchup. Most beacuse the divers can kill the secrator. He hade a firestorm town and roled a redeploy and put 40 grots with 3 fanatics in ambush 9 from my army. Had to take the first turn and charged the block with BT, whiped warriors and khorgorath. Warriors dubbled one the charge and BT ended up fighting fanatics. In his turn he retreated from combat and screened his army, divers did 2 wounds to the stoker. Grots burn my sideobjective for 1 p. Think I won the priority here and buffed up the letters to the teeth making a 30 inch charge into a block of 60 grots, shaman and also pinning the other 60 grotblock. Killed 47 grots and also think i killed the 40 block with warriors.  He hade a warboss nearby so hade 14 modells to my 13 in range of the objective so could not burn it. BT charged the colossal squig and almost killed it. In his turn he popped the commands pumping the remaning grots up to damage 16 but they where in combat so they got a fue attacks in my BT and did not wound it, got one damage 16 wound in my letters that I saved and killed the warriors. My turn and i charged in the mongers in and summon 5 flesh hounds on to his side objective. Grots killed the mongers but I killed the grots and colossal squig. Won priority and the game was over. Super tight and fun game and a great opponent. 

Game 2 was against Tom from Wales and the frostlord and 2 magma dragons in arcane power. Magmas are dead scary so deployed my characters and letters 38 inch away (the threatrange at that moment). I buffed up warriors in the middle and walk forward leaving mongers behind. One magma missed the shot and on killed 2 mongers. One magma charged the warriors and almost killed himself with the warriors fighting when they die. He won prioty and took al objective. One magma missed the shot again and another killed 8 letters, in my turn i charged the remaning magma with mongers and 22 letters into the frostlord leaving him on 1 wound left. Magma killed itself from mongers. A priest shot of a shaman. I won priorty and killed his army apart from som orc. BT stood on the middle objective and i thought I won the game. But my opponent told me he keeped scoring the side objectives even he was dead and RAW his right. I dont think thats intended thou. So Sadly i lost the game. 

Last game was against England and Nigels nurgle in relocating orb. My list is strong against nurgle and my only worry is the wheel killing the secrator. That diddent happen and I took his army of turn 3 i think. The secrator is super strong here shutting down his magic. So ended up day one with 2 wins and a loss. 

First game day 2 was against Stu from Scottland. He played a Arkhan list. Mission was shifting objectives. He took first turn and hade a scary first magic phase with +6 to cast on arkhan. Thats even hard for khorne :). I used the dispell scroll from secrator to stop the mirrors. Swords killed one letter. He popped up lots of skellies on the objectives. In my turn i charge almost my entire army in and killed 50 skellies, 5 knights and the wraith king. I wanted 2 blood tithe to have one more dispell. Fortunately I dident need it. Won priority and charged arkhan with BT, khorgorath and 5 mongers. He hade reroll save from cogs. Killed 10 guards with letters. Thought of summon 5 flesh hounds to prevent him raising warriors from a grave but saved the tithe for pile in in hero phase if arkhan would survive. He diddent and the game was over. 

Last game was against David from  Irland and his nurgle in the orb. Again it ended up with a easy win. It was over turn 2. 

So ended up 4 wins and a loss. Super happy about that! List is stong in a team event where I can avoid the worst match up. The list is really good against nurgle and death which is to popular armys at the moment. I think it will struggle in a singels event thou cos it struggle against seraphon and DoK. Also hard against gunlines. I think i might try it out and see how it goes. Khorne is not compleatly dead my friends! :) 

Great write up

Why did you find the nurgle lists so easy to deal with? What does "in the orb" refer to?

Played a 2000 pts game against a competitive Nurgle army.

Realized there is actually a SECOND scenario where spellcaster or heroes with artefact count as 20 people for capturing objectives.

Does GW have something against Khorne or what ?

By the way, i lost it. The objective (the moving one) decided to retreat and move every turn only in my opponent area. I was able to grab it at the end with 20 summoned bloodletters, but the GUO was able to cross the whole table and charge them. Lost 10-4, and we were both nearly tabled-out.

Seriously, nurgle speed is absolutely ******. Why does the canonically slowest army of the game have a army wide + 3 move and run+charge ?

Edited by ledha
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Charles said:

I would also like to understand how you could finish a Nurgle army in turn 2?

Seems like that would be tough with low rend and their multiple saves.

You may be surprised by the offensive power of 15 skullreapers and 2 khorgorath in a gore pilgrim bataillion with 3 +1 to hit

I may be wrong but didn't said i finished them turn 2. We ended the game at turn 5. He had his GUO with few wounds left as well as few plaguebearers and 3 summoned flies at the end. I had my bloodsecrator, 3 skullreapers and 12 summoned bloodletters.

My opponent play mostly demons (with 10 blightking) and doesn't use the Harbringer because he has only one mortal unit to buff. He prefer to play the plusgoyle blightlord and push the flies offense trought the roof (they did like 25 mortal wounds per combat phase with blade of putrefaction) with his stacking command ability

Edited by ledha

51 minutes ago, Charles said:

I would also like to understand how you could finish a Nurgle army in turn 2?

Seems like that would be tough with low rend and their multiple saves.

You have to take a look at the Nurgle lists, they were more on the daemon-side than mortal (so no Glottkin with +wound, no Harbinger, no Blightknights, no -toHit stuff...).

Spoiler

Allegiance: Nurgle Leaders Great Unclean One (340) - General - Trait: Grandfather's Blessing - Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes - Bileblade - Doomsday Bell Lord of Afflictions (220) - Artefact: The Witherstave Festus The Leechlord (140) - Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction Battleline 30 x Plaguebearers (320) 30 x Plaguebearers (320) 5 x Putrid Blightkings (160) Units 6 x Plague Drones (400) Total: 1900 / 2000 Extra Command Points: 2

Spoiler

Allegiance - Nurgle Leaders Lord of Afflictions(220) - General - Command trait: Avalanche of Rotten Flesh - Artefact: Rustfang Festus the Leechlord (140) - Lore of malignance: Blades of Putrefication Great Unclean One (340) - Lore of virulence: Glorious Afflictions Horticulous Slimux (220) Units 4 Pusgoyle Blightlords (440) 30 Plaguebearers (320) 30 Plaguebearers (320) Total 2000/2000

My guess is, that he probably chewed through one or two units pretty early in the game and then there were are only characters left (or visa versa with unbuffed troops but that seems unlikely). Therefore crippling the Nurgle armies and then he just mopped up the rest with prayers and whatever is left.

Both lists wanted to omega-buff a unit with attacks and other shenanigans, doesn't really matter though if the unit is decimated or even outright killed.

One thing to remember:

19 hours ago, Mikeboll said:

List is stong in a team event where I can avoid the worst match up.

This is really important to keep in mind for any team tournament. Sometimes you get to counter X out of X games, sometimes you get sacrificed (probably happened to the Nurgle players here) so someone else can rake up points for the team and so on.

Team tournaments are super fun and super weird at the same time. Personally I always enjoyed the mind games when both team captains would pair the armies against each other, trying to get more favourable matchups than the other.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Team tournaments are super fun and super weird at the same time. Personally I always enjoyed the mind games when both team captains would pair the armies against each other, trying to get more favourable matchups than the other.

Except when you play the sacrifice of course :D

• Like 1