AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I'm thinking about getting Magore's Fiends and Riptooth in my lists, since they comprise a very compact set that has some rend options and can reroll charges. I feel like it could benefit from a bunch of buffs and be blasted right away into the enemy. Curious if anyone else thinks it's worth it.

3 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Not mine sadly, I just remember seeing those on the internet. I believe the spears are the chaos knight lances or skullcrushers. Very common conversion back in the heyday of Halberd warriors.

Yep those are Skullcrushers glaives and Skullcrushers heads. A nice but simple conversion. Plus the posing is ace, especially back in fantasy. 

3 hours ago, Zamik said:

I'm thinking about getting Magore's Fiends and Riptooth in my lists, since they comprise a very compact set that has some rend options and can reroll charges. I feel like it could benefit from a bunch of buffs and be blasted right away into the enemy. Curious if anyone else thinks it's worth it.

Magore’s fiends and riptooth feel good, especially because that’s for 2 blood Tithe (I think ripttopth counts as one). It’s a self sufficient unit with innate charge re-rolls, and Magore does decent damage. Having gorefists is just gravy, means that killing the unit in close combat might deal some damage to the attacker, which is great. Tjey’re basically a suicide unit you just throw at people

yet, I can’t help but feel that Karanak is actually quite good now. Have him quarry an enemy beatstick hero (such heroes will be close to the front), so it’s easy to get off the summon, and have him search for endless spells to dispel (their casting values are usually low), so you can wound their wizards, who usually have low wound counts. 

Best thing is, we have a lot of ways to deal with magic, which I feel isn’t too much of a problem anymore, considering Reapers of Vengeance and Hexgorger Skulls. Especially in the current meta, I see that every single armies in tournaments use magic (except Khorne). Even Fyreslayers or kharadrons ally in a Knight Incantor or Evocators usually. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Yep those are Skullcrushers glaives and Skullcrushers heads. A nice but simple conversion. Plus the posing is ace, especially back in fantasy. 

Magore’s fiends and riptooth feel good, especially because that’s for 2 blood Tithe (I think ripttopth counts as one). It’s a self sufficient unit with innate charge re-rolls, and Magore does decent damage. Having gorefists is just gravy, means that killing the unit in close combat might deal some damage to the attacker, which is great. Tjey’re basically a suicide unit you just throw at people

yet, I can’t help but feel that Karanak is actually quite good now. Have him quarry an enemy beatstick hero (such heroes will be close to the front), so it’s easy to get off the summon, and have him search for endless spells to dispel (their casting values are usually low), so you can wound their wizards, who usually have low wound counts. 

Best thing is, we have a lot of ways to deal with magic, which I feel isn’t too much of a problem anymore, considering Reapers of Vengeance and Hexgorger Skulls. Especially in the current meta, I see that every single armies in tournaments use magic (except Khorne). Even Fyreslayers or kharadrons ally in a Knight Incantor or Evocators usually. 

Which begs the question is it worth going for 1 Bloodthirster of some variety to be able to take Reavers of Vengeance to counter magic as an HQ and the rest Mortals or what...? 

This is a list I’ve been brainstorming obviously using the new points values: 

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Mighty Lord of Khorne (120)
- General
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
1 x Khorgoraths (90)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Skulltake (190)

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

This will leave me with 100 points which I’ll explain in my struggles below: 

Struggle #1) for my 6th hero slot do I go for +1 attack for 1 CP, a brutal beatstick with MW output and 1 CP AoE battleshock immunity or do I go for yet another beatstick that also potentially puts out mortal wounds and has a +1 to bravery aura. 

Basically Aspiring Champion, Exalted Deathbringer with Spear or Skullgrinder.

Struggle #2) if I go with my first draft list I have 100 points leftover. Do I use them to buy 2 Endless judgements of Khorne, buy 2 CP or run a 100 point unit like Flesh Hounds? 

Struggle #3) Do I run a Slaughterhost and be locked down in a certain Command Trait, Command Ability and Artifact or are the perks to the 2 mortal ones not worth and go with a more flexible CT, and artifact choices? 

Struggle #4) I could potentially drop 1 unit of Blood Warriors for a unit of 20 Bloodreavers and perfectly cap at 2,000 with a Chaos Warshrine which provide a great prayer, yet another Khorne blessing and a 6+ Feel No Pain for all models within the aura... 

Struggle #5) Is the Skulltake Battalion (my previous books pet battalion despite Gore Pilgrims being allegedly mandatory) even worth it anymore? Are there just better Battalions?

To me the double damage AND buff to the Khorgorath felt worth it, as well as the maxing out the Battalion so /everyone/ simply within 12” of the Bloodstoker got the benefit of double damage. Now it’s a lot tamer. Is this still a decent Battalion or should I change my focus, and if I do does it change my army composition drastically or my unit choices? 

24 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Struggle #1) for my 6th hero slot do I go for +1 attack for 1 CP, a brutal beatstick with MW output and 1 CP AoE battleshock immunity or do I go for yet another beatstick that also potentially puts out mortal wounds and has a +1 to bravery aura. 

Struggle #2) if I go with my first draft list I have 100 points leftover. Do I use them to buy 2 Endless judgements of Khorne, buy 2 CP or run a 100 point unit like Flesh Hounds? 

Struggle #3) Do I run a Slaughterhost and be locked down in a certain Command Trait, Command Ability and Artifact or are the perks to the 2 mortal ones not worth and go with a more flexible CT, and artifact choices? 

Struggle #4) I could potentially drop 1 unit of Blood Warriors for a unit of 20 Bloodreavers and perfectly cap at 2,000 with a Chaos Warshrine which provide a great prayer, yet another Khorne blessing and a 6+ Feel No Pain for all models within the aura... 

Struggle #5) Is the Skulltake Battalion (my previous books pet battalion despite Gore Pilgrims being allegedly mandatory) even worth it anymore? Are there just better Battalions?

To me the double damage AND buff to the Khorgorath felt worth it, as well as the maxing out the Battalion so /everyone/ simply within 12” of the Bloodstoker got the benefit of double damage. Now it’s a lot tamer. Is this still a decent Battalion or should I change my focus, and if I do does it change my army composition drastically or my unit choices? 

List looks interesting, though you didn't put down the new points. Though it will largely work out regardless.

Trying to give an awnser for your struggles:
1. All mentioned are decent and you could even consider Skarr for the Wrathmongers. I really think this slot is open to whatever.
2. As much of a fan as I am of Fleshhounds, I do think that with 2 Priests 2 Judgements are the obvious next choice. Additional CP are nice, but it's often more interesting to add a Battalion if you want more CP. We got cheaper Battalions as we used to.
3. Going for a host is worth it in my opinion, being locked into it doesn't really make the army worse. Mortal heavy lists have some killy chars but nothing mind warping anyway. A lot of the raw strenght has to come from Blood Warriors in this list anyway.
4. Optional, but I wouldn't do it. Reason being that big Reaver blobs have the most issue with Battleshock being a thing now. Blood Warriors with Gorefists seem like a very solid choice. 
5. This really depends on your preforance, I do think it's worth taking.  I would however strongly consider including more Khorgorath. 

This edition lets you focus on a few units you like, pick what you want, then pick all the perks that can be stacked on top of that. What I would do here is consider if you want to focus on Skullreapers, Blood Warriors or Khorgoraths, the Hero support you have now pretty much works on all of that, but several Battalions focus more on one of these three.

Cheers,

44 minutes ago, xking said:

I noticed while reading this thread that there are some people that think AoS Khorne worshippers are just Mindless monsters.  

I want to tell you that this is not the case, and if you read novels like "Call of Archaon" or "Eight Lamentations Spear of Shadows". There are Khorne characters that very much do think and have personality. 

It’s almost like they don’t know who Kharne or Dreagher are :( 

@Killax my undisputed favorites are Skullreapers and Khorgotaths. I loved Khorgoraths when they could rip out 9 potential attacks. I think they can do 6 now? Still it’s not bad. I forgot they were 100 points, I could throw one in for my last 100 points 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Ravinsild
  • Like 1

Hey guys, what's the cost of the Bloodmad Warband? (Better question: has anyone compiled the Battalion costs somewhere other than a 30min YouTube vid?)

Is that the one that came down to 120? Good composition for Goretide methinks...

On 3/19/2019 at 10:38 PM, Darksteve said:

So the list I'm most excited to try is:

Heros:

Bloodthirster of IR

Bloodsecrator

3x slaughterpriests

Battleline:

2x 10 bloodreavers

1x5 blood warriors

Units:

1x wrathmongers

1 unit of 3 skullcannons

Battaltion:

Gorepilgrims

Host:

Reapers of vengence

Judgements:

All 3

By my count thats 1880 points. Any suggestions on what to do with the extra points? Or what artifact to give the Bloodthirster?

The pointof the list is to castle up in front of the Altar, buff the skullcannons and use the battleline to take objectives while the Bloodthirster provides rerolls via locus and a big scary bodyguard.

Hey @Killax I hahad posted this list a few pages back. I was interesting in hearing some feedback from you or others on it if you had a moment. Is it just not enough bodies/wounds for 2k?

Thank you

For anyone wondering about slaves units I played with them quite a bit. I've personally found that most don't do the job. Theoretically Warriors with great weapons and the warshrine's reroll hits and the lord on manticore CA should put out bonkers damage, but they only fight in one rank and are slow. As they are slow they tend to get charged and with no shields or no respite just tend to die.

I'm a big fan of the lord on manticore with berserker lord, the sword and lance. He REALLY needs berserker lord if you drop the shield, and he REALLY needs the lance (you get either the lance or the shield) He is fast, tough and hurts Stuff

Also I like the Khorne DP. He gets +1 hit for being khorne so the axe rocks. However he dies easily.

I also like marauder horsemen if I can get them. I use them for screens and grabbing objctives and harass. They are more speed.

Lastly, even though its not slaves to darkness, I used to ally in warhounds as a screen. I don't know if they still have it, but they autoran 6".

You can see a theme of all my auxiliaries being fast. I always felt like the army benefited from a few fast elements.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 hours ago, phizzco said:

mmmm. I personally would be pretty scared to toss her in against a blog that she couldn't kill outright on a charge. The retaliation would be bad for her.

with her little base, she can easily attack a unit while being in range of retaliation from only 2/3 minis. If you charge alongside your units, she can be even harder to "reach" in melee

Character question: I've been planning to run the Asp Deathbringer behind my Skulltake batallion (2x5 reapers, 2x1 khorgoraths) for some extra attacks. However I've been looking at the Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear who could almost do the same amount of damage on a good day, without having to spend a command point and relying on bubbling (although 12 shouldn't be hard to fit the Skulltake in). Plus he can give me battleshock immunity elsewhere on the table instead.

I'm relying on Skulltake to be my hammer though so they really need to smeesh.

Thoughts? Which one do you think will generate most damage output?

2 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

Character question: I've been planning to run the Asp Deathbringer behind my Skulltake batallion (2x5 reapers, 2x1 khorgoraths) for some extra attacks. However I've been looking at the Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear who could almost do the same amount of damage on a good day, without having to spend a command point and relying on bubbling (although 12 shouldn't be hard to fit the Skulltake in). Plus he can give me battleshock immunity elsewhere on the table instead.

Skullreapers ignore battleshock and units of 1 khorgorath won't run away. Why would you need a immun battleshock bubble in the first place ?

5 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Which begs the question is it worth going for 1 Bloodthirster of some variety to be able to take Reavers of Vengeance to counter magic as an HQ and the rest Mortals or what...? 

This is a list I’ve been brainstorming obviously using the new points values: 

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Mighty Lord of Khorne (120)
- General
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
1 x Khorgoraths (90)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Skulltake (190)

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

Whoa, lotta questions you got there buddy. Let’s break it down. 

1) You don’t have much battleshock protection, and that’ll mean a lot of CPs potentially eaten for Inspiring Presence. Granted, Skullreapers don’t care, but your Blood Warriors and Bloodreavers certainly do. Trust me, having seen 10-man Bestigor units destroyed just cause  a few died is not fun. The Exalted Deathbringer would be my choice here, his bubble is huge and it’s very useful. 

2)I’d recommend Judgements. Adding ranged threat is very good. I’d recommend axe and icon for max damage, since you don’t want your priests to try and sustain the judgement. 

3) It honestly depends. Goretide is great, Skullfiend Tribe is still nice, although Skullfiend tribe should only be taken if you brought enough Khorgoraths to justify the Command ability. Generally I’d say either Goretide or no Slaughterhost. 

4) You could, IF you do so, i’d Say bring an exalted Deathbringer to help with morale. For judgements, try bringing Skulls and axe, you can sustain both with the Warshrine, and the axe’s debuff can help your reavers last longer. Skulls... just use them to bite the butt of every spellcaster you find.

5) Skulltake is still good. It’s greatest strength is that it affects EVERYONE, not just Skullreapers anymore (it doesn’t need to be max size to do that anymore); MSU skullreapers is good thanks to aoe Buffs. Skulltake just really wants a LOT of attacks to get  mileage out of the ability, so the entire battalion actually works quite nicely.

however, if you don’t mind, you should try Bloodmad Warband. As @AresX8 was saying, the extra attack on Skullreapers means even more chances for mortal wounds. You could also try Slaughterborn instead. 

Another thing: when buffing using Killing Frenzy, i’d Recommend not buffing the Skullreapers, so that any 2s can be re-rolled, higher chance to fish for those sweet mortal wounds. 

Take note though: I think Wrathmongers are 140 points now. Skarr is extremely good with Wrathmongers, his Command ability is actually amazing. But i’d Say bring him If Wrathmongers make up the core of your game plan. 

• LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, xking said:

I noticed while reading this thread that there are some people that think AoS Khorne worshippers are just Mindless monsters.  

I want to tell you that this is not the case, and if you read novels like "Call of Archaon" or "Eight Lamentations Spear of Shadows". There are Khorne characters that very much do think and have personality. 

Yep! Call of Archaon is an amazing read! Can confirm. Also add Warqueen to that list. However, for Call of Archaon, not gonna spoil anything, but damn I was so dissatisfied with the ending...

2 hours ago, Bjornas said:

If you really want damage output, Aspiring deathbringer would be best. An exalted is good, because he can keep your main troops from running. As Skullreapers are naturally very brave men, they can roam freely, which gives them lots of tactical flexibility rather than advancing with the main brick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledha said:

Skullreapers ignore battleshock and units of 1 khorgorath won't run away. Why would you need a immun battleshock bubble in the first place ?

No I mean to place him elsewhere in that case, with units who would benefit more.

29 minutes ago, Kaz said:

One question: I don’t see Juggerlord talked about much anymore. Is he really that bad now? And is the Mighty Lord really that good now that he’s been buffed? 

Mostly overlooked in my opinion but yeah he is less reliable now.

Another thing to consider and no one talks about him, Tyrants of Blood doesn't care for him and mortal setups are "forced" to take 1-2 other heroes. Combine that with other heroes now being able to actually be support elements instead if expensive 5 wounds... a lot to consider right now (while the Juggerlord is pretty much "just" damage).

Has anyone seen leaks of the new conditional battleline units? If there are new ones at all that is.

I would love to see wrathmongers as battleline if you have smart bloodwrath as your general. Or even khorgoraths if you take skaarac.

4 minutes ago, Retro said:

Has anyone seen leaks of the new conditional battleline units? If there are new ones at all that is.

I would love to see wrathmongers as battleline if you have smart bloodwrath as your general. Or even khorgoraths if you take skaarac.

Afaik, nothing changed.

7 hours ago, Kaz said:

Karanak also dropped in points compared to what he was in Wrath and Rapture, so I definitely think he's worth taking.

6 hours ago, Roark said:

Hey guys, what's the cost of the Bloodmad Warband? (Better question: has anyone compiled the Battalion costs somewhere other than a 30min YouTube vid?)

Is that the one that came down to 120? Good composition for Goretide methinks...

It's 160.

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

One question: I don’t see Juggerlord talked about much anymore. Is he really that bad now? And is the Mighty Lord really that good now that he’s been buffed? 

He's not bad persay, it's that his command ability is not as strong as it used to be, sadly. Re-rolling 1's to wound is just, "ok", especially in Goretide, where that's a built in bonus while being wholly within 12" of an objective. His damage output is still stupid though with Gorecleaver and rolling 6's to wound, as that's 6 damage per 6 rolled, or 7 if he's the General in Goretide.

And speaking of Gorecleaver damage output, I've figured out the damage output for the Mighty Lord with said artifact. You're doubling the result of the d3 roll on a 6 to wound, not rolling 2d3. If he's the General, you then add 1 to the damage if he's Goretide. This means he does an absolute minimum of 3 damage. In fact, he can only do 3, 5, or 7 damage, depending on what you roll for the d3 damage result.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

He's not bad persay, it's that his command ability is not as strong as it used to be, sadly. Re-rolling 1's to wound is just, "ok", especially in Goretide, where that's a built in bonus while being wholly within 12" of an objective. His damage output is still stupid though with Gorecleaver and rolling 6's to wound, as that's 6 damage per 6 rolled, or 7 if he's the General in Goretide.

With Gorecleaver it’s still only 3 attacks though. I think he can do pretty fine with the Skullfiend tribe weapon, 5 base attacks will allow for a bit more reliable output.

28 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

With Gorecleaver it’s still only 3 attacks though. I think he can do pretty fine with the Skullfiend tribe weapon, 5 base attacks will allow for a bit more reliable output.

That's base ;). Surely you  have ways of increasing your attacks in your list outside of artifacts.

10 minutes ago, Bjornas said:

By the way, wouldn’t this guy make for an awesome Slaughterpriest?

ECE48434-8AE3-47D8-B8CE-2C16E4863964.png

You'd have to do some converting work since that's Garrek from Garrek's Reavers of the Underworlds warband. Using him as a base though, yeah absolutely!

Also, anyone else notice that Skullreapers can re-roll ALL hit rolls against units with 5 or more models? This includes attacks that have already hit... so that means you can fish for even more mortal wounds.

The jugger lords demon axe is unmodified 6s now and his command trait is a questionable use of a CP in an army thats gonna want CP. All in all he is still fast'ish, killy, and sturdy. With right command trait and artifact he has potential. I still like the idea of him and some Skullcrushers rampaging across the field removing a vulnerable unit every turn if you can keep them from getting dug in too deep.

Also didn't Karanak used to have +2 to unbind? I find unbind very flakey without bonuses. Where can we get unbind bonuses now?