AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 7/12/2021 at 4:21 AM, Sharklone said:

Anyone been able to put together a decent Khorne list using just battletom units and not souping in stuff. Our General options for mortals seems awful at the moment

Don't need those pesky StDs!

Baleful Lords. Because Run & Charge!!!!!
The Howling Host! Awouuuuuuuuuu! 

Warlord Regiment

BT Insensate Rage, General (Thirst for Carnage), Ar'gath or Foe's Bane or BBC if you take Crimson Crown- 280 pts (personally I go with Foe's bane for the rr)
BT Unfettered Fury, Black Brass Crown or Crimson Crown (although I believe you can just not take it, CP generation is quite ok) - 295 pts
Slaughterpriest, Bronzed Flesh or Killing Frenzy - 110 pts
Slaughterpriest, Blood Sacrifice - 110 pts
5 Flesh Hounds - 105 pts

Battle Regiment

Wrath of Khorne BT - 310 pts
5 Flesh Hounds - 105 pts
5 Flesh Hounds - 105 pts
5 Flesh Hounds - 105 pts

Skarbrand - 380 pts

Hexgorger Skull - 60 pts

You can swap 1 Slaughterpriest with a Bloodsecrator, but I believe the Bloodsecrator will have trouble keeping up with the BTs. And Slaughterpriests are cool models.
1965-1980 pts (if you take bloodsecrator).

Triumph: +1 to wound
Grand Strategy: Beastmaster.
Battle Tactics: T1 Ferocious advance, T2 Savage Spearhead or Broken ranks or Bring it down or Slay the Warlord, T3 Savage Spearhead or Broken ranks or Bring it down or Slay the warlord, T4, Savage Spearhead or Broken ranks or Bring it down or Slay the warlord, T5 Savage Spearhead or Broken ranks or Bring it down or Slay the warlord.

You run, you kill stuff. And then you kill more stuff. And then you kill some more. Just kill stuff, damn it! You get it already, right? :D

Edited by Alezya
  • Like 1

Sorry i don't see the point of using battle regiment and still do 7 drops. Yo do 1, you do 4 or 5 and then you don't care. You will have to drop the regiment all in one drop so there is no benefit i think.

Use another warlord and get the artefact talisman of burning blood on a bloodbound hero so he boost the speed and charge of your bloodthirsters !

Edited by Perturbato
  • Like 1

The one drop (or not) doesn't change a lot, to be honest. I just put them in a regiment for list purpose/organisation purpose. As long as they don't add another regiment to fit in what's left, I don't see a negative issue about having one. Hunters of the Heartlands maybe? meh
The deployment doesn't change a lot as well. Haven't tried all scenarios yet, so it might change ofc. Basically, you'll drop in the BTs and then the hounds around/in front. 
They will be deployed as screens, based on their base size to increase the board control, with some spaces between them and BTs to avoid opponent alpha strike/threat range.

I see your point for the Talisman of Burning Blood, but I don't believe the bloodbound hero will be able to follow the BTs. He might on T1, but after it might be complicated or unnecessary due to the shrinking of the tables.
Besides, it would mean dropping the Foe's Bane or Argath. Not really keen on it. I prefer by far a reroll (specially to wound, to trigger that nice MW output). 

Edited by Alezya

14 hours ago, kahadin said:

Whats wrong with chaos knights? They should still have really high damage output.

Nothing wrong with them, they are good.

It's just a downgrade from before when you could take 10, slap shrine prayers on them for full rerolls and +1 save and have a fast deathstar unit. You still kinda can but then only 6 out of 10 guys get to fight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smooth criminal said:

It's just a downgrade from before when you could take 10, slap shrine prayers on them for full rerolls and +1 save and have a fast deathstar unit. You still kinda can but then only 6 out of 10 guys get to fight.

Every faction is using smaller units though eh. I think 5 buffed Knights are still our most reliably damaging unit.

We should be Cursing our targets if we can, due to the synergies with our faction's increased attacks. No unit capitalises on this better than Chaos Knights, due to the rider + steed.

Which unit is better, offensively?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If we can get something in the next book that increases the range of prayers I feel like Curse could become a very viable tool for us. As is you basically have to double someone or use it after they've charged your lines (or I suppose you COULD use BT to move him into range now that prayers happen during the hero phase instead of at the start but that's probably not worth it).

• Like 1

I tried a little experiment with Cursing, using my 20 Bloodwarriors as a big unit, seeing how tanky they'd be vs a Gatebreaker Megagargant.  Didn't turn out so well for the Bloodwarriors, as they only got 10 guys base to base for 30 attacks, and then not even with with their 24 attacks for getting slain (only 5 MW on the MegaG).  Guess my old dice don't roll 6s very well 😛  The Gorefists don't do well vs high damage attack enemies of course, but vs something like Plague Monks they'd get way more MW in return.  

Perhaps a Gatebreaker isn't the most fair test of this.  I think a unit of 10 Wrathmongers though might have more legs.  They get what, 4 attacks each?  At 2" range though so all could be hitting theoretically if positioned ideally.

6 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I tried a little experiment with Cursing, using my 20 Bloodwarriors as a big unit, seeing how tanky they'd be vs a Gatebreaker Megagargant.  Didn't turn out so well for the Bloodwarriors, as they only got 10 guys base to base for 30 attacks, and then not even with with their 24 attacks for getting slain (only 5 MW on the MegaG).  Guess my old dice don't roll 6s very well 😛  The Gorefists don't do well vs high damage attack enemies of course, but vs something like Plague Monks they'd get way more MW in return.  

Perhaps a Gatebreaker isn't the most fair test of this.  I think a unit of 10 Wrathmongers though might have more legs.  They get what, 4 attacks each?  At 2" range though so all could be hitting theoretically if positioned ideally.

I was gonna say "well that's not fair, they should at least be compared to a unit of comparable cost" but then I remembered lol

• Like 2

Working towards getting Archaon on the board, in the mean time I’m looking at this list.

Reapers:

BoIR

Skarbrand

Bloodsecrator x2

Slaughterpriest

Daemon Prince

Bloodreavers MSU x2

Wrathmonger 

Fleshhounds 

6x Mighty Skullcrushers

Double Warlord Battalion

Chop and change the artefacts obviously but most likely a Crimson Crown for the DP and Ar’gath or Deathdealer for BoIR.

Probably split into two forces with a Bloodsecrator each. Run those Bloodsecrators 6” every turn. Extra CP from battalion if they fail their 4+ CP roll.

Theres lot of interesting strategy now around Bloodthirsters. Not being able to stack multiple Cps is a hard work around that requires lots of planning.

Without BoUF you basically can only send in 1 Bloodthirster at a time. But even with 6” pile in you risk being pulled out of combat by redeploy. I see this being a short range strategy now, where you don’t run, just move to within 3 1/2 to 6” and if they redeploy then you can still charge. Unless you’ve taken Baleful lords of course. 

After playing Khorne daemons almost exclusively since the last book, I’m definitely looking forward to experimenting with these new limitations. Everyone’s in the same boat, hopefully we hold up alright.  

8 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

How were your reavers built? I am wondering if with curse that double axes may be better to reroll the 1s and hopefully get a few more 6s.

Slaves may be even better as they can get reroll all hits, although that’s then 2 buffing units 1 for curse and 1 for reroll

13 hours ago, Praecautus said:

How were your reavers built? I am wondering if with curse that double axes may be better to reroll the 1s and hopefully get a few more 6s.

Slaves may be even better as they can get reroll all hits, although that’s then 2 buffing units 1 for curse and 1 for reroll

Yeah, I had the Gorefists, thinking that when they take saves they can toss some MW back on enemies.  Frankly I'd rather them just have an extra attack for an extra axe; that makes more sense to me.

For about the same points as the 20 Blood Warriors I could get 2x2 Khorgoraths.  And I just like strange blood golems with skulls peeking out here and there.  Of course they're not battleline, and won't have the model count.

Slight variation on a generic Khorne list I posted a while back, mixing daemons, mortals and beasts. It was 9 drops with a battle regiment which I realised was pretty pointless so reworked it into double warlord and hunters of the heartland. Its now 15 drops but the extra artifact I gained (Brazen Rune) means my general is even harder to kill.

KHORNE Grand Strategy: Vendetta 15 Drops  

Warlord Notes Role Points
Doombull   Leader 115
Bloodsecrator General, Trait: Berzerker Lord
Artifact: The Brazen Rune
Leader 125
Bloodstoker Artifact: Talisman of Burning Blood Leader 85
3 x Bullgors Great Axes   155
3 x Bullgors Great Axes   155

Warlord Notes Role Points
Daemon Prince Artifact: Mark of the Slayer Leader 210
Slaughterpriest Prayer: Killing Frenzy Leader 110
Aspiring Deathbringer   Leader 85
10 x Bloodreavers   Battleline 80
5 x Flesh Hounds   Battleline 105

Hunters of the Heartlands Notes Role Points
5 x Wrathmongers     155
5 x Skullreapers     205
5 x Skullreapers     205

TOTAL = 2000

50 minutes ago, Perturbato said:

No they don't disappear at the end. The hexgorger skulls pop off when the enemy cast a natural 8 near to them and all of them can only be dispelled

Yes they still do. The 5+ roll to see if our Judgments remain at the end of the battle round is still in play as it was not errataed out.

Edited by AresX8
  • Like 1

"Judgement of khorne" are invocations as stated in the FAQ. 

In the core book, only ways to remove an invocation are :

- bannish it

- Touch the border of the battlefield

- something indicated in the invocation's warscroll or allegeance ability is used to remove the invocation

In the Battletome it was simply stated that Judgements get out at the end of the round after a fail roll but it's not an allegeance ability that is used. It must be an hostile allegeance ability to remove the invocation.

The first one to come at me telling that i'm wrong i would tell him ok let's play that way but my slaughterpriest can chant 3 times each turn now. 

I'm not running tournaments so i don't care.

20 hours ago, Perturbato said:

No they don't disappear at the end. The hexgorger skulls pop off when the enemy cast a natural 8 near to them and all of them can only be dispelled

Everything that's not "deleted" or "changed by Errata" is still in charge. It's not a point of view of the rules, tournament or happy hour games.

Anyway, to do one's who are playtesting: how we deal with Megagargants? (my first input is Khorne Daemon Prince)

• Like 1

Definitely seems like the 5+ roll should of been faq’d, but I don’t think we should be worried about it. Could quiet easily be another wave of faqs. Even if it stays it’s far too early to know what the impact is. Everyone has effectively had a nerf so we’re not alone.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:58 PM, Zamik said:

I'm leaning towards a Chimera, because it has a lot of attack profiles (each of which I can pump up with the Bloodsecrator), it gets +2 to charge rolls so you can be sure you get at someone to bust out monstrous rampages, and it's got a shooting profile that's just Hey you get these mortal wounds.

I was actually more interested in adding a Tzaangor shaman into the mix.

Kinda Funny considering you’ll now be able to play a khorne/tzeentch wizard that isn’t archaon in your army😂.

Who ever said Khorne hates magic must have been lying