AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

Khorne bloodbound have a hole in terms of a decent beatstick general in the 200-300 point range. Most of our mortal leaders and quite slow, squishy etc so this gaps tends to be filled by slaves to darkness leaders who used to synergise really well with artefacts and command abilities that made up for the lack of command ability. The current faq prevents slaves being the genera now so they lose a lot of their usefulness now. Our remaining mortal generals are juggernaut lord, mighty lord and khorgus. They are not bad but none ever really hit the heights of a Khorne prince, manticore lord or krakadrak lord. 

Pardon if I'm re-treading old ground here but can't you still force an artifact onto a coaliton unit?

The slaughterhost rule says "all khorne units in your army gain that keyword"

So coalition allies gain (for example) goretide. Then you give a hero an artifact and well "the first goretide hero given an artifact must take Thronebreak torque" so you're "forcing" that artifact onto them per the coalition rules that say they can take artifacts as long as they have the keywords (goretide and hero in this case) required. Am I reading that right? 

Still lose out on general command abilities but artifacts should still be in.

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Pardon if I'm re-treading old ground here but can't you still force an artifact onto a coaliton unit?

So coalition allies gain (for example) goretide. Then you give a hero an artifact and well "the first goretide hero given an artifact must take Thronebreak torque" so you're "forcing" that artifact onto them per the coalition rules that say they can take artifacts as long as they have the keywords (goretide and hero in this case) required. Am I reading that right? 

Artefacts are but the lose of command abilities is hard. A manticore lord armed with Lance and sword could be genera and given hew the foe ability in goretide plus gorecleaver in the Lance. On charges he was deadly doing 7 damage at rend 2or 3 on each hit of 6. That was a common manticore general build and filled a huge hole in a mortal army. 

you can still give them artefacts and there are some interesting combos still. But some of the best have gone. And the remaining eligible models don’t match up as well

Edited by Praecautus

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Yes they can still take artefacts, but Hew the Foe is what takes those beatstick heroes to the next level. Hew the Foe is kinda wasted on most of our Heroes.

4 minutes ago, Zamik said:

Yes they can still take artefacts, but Hew the Foe is what takes those beatstick heroes to the next level. Hew the Foe is kinda wasted on most of our Heroes.

Okay that's a relief mostly because I really wanted my coaliton bullgor and ghorgon to reroll 1's off korgus kul.

I was just trying to spend my last 90 points and it feels like the skullgrinder can make use of hew the foe. Not as well as a karkadrak lord I grant you but I never got to run the murderlizard so I guess I just dont see it the same way. 

I do kind of think I'll just end up making the bloodsecrator the general and bunkering him inside the skull altar for the sake of survivability though so yeah it isn't really gonna benefit him much.

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I do kind of think I'll just end up making the bloodsecrator the general and bunkering him inside the skull altar for the sake of survivability though so yeah it isn't really gonna benefit him much.

I've really come to appreciate the pain The Lord on Karkadrak can put out with Hew and Gorecleaver, but ah well.

I'm thinking of foregoing Goretide altogether now--I mean, with all the +1s to save available, the thronebreakers torc seems a lot harder to use well.

3 minutes ago, Zamik said:

I've really come to appreciate the pain The Lord on Karkadrak can put out with Hew and Gorecleaver, but ah well.

I'm thinking of foregoing Goretide altogether now--I mean, with all the +1s to save available, the thronebreakers torc seems a lot harder to use well.

Okay I was just about to ask if I can add gorecleaver to a karkadrak so I'll miss how the foe but at least I'll never know how much I'm missing lol.

That said I'm only really going with goretide for korgus kul rr aura because rerolls are hard to get now and I know from Brass Despoilers that they can make a world of difference. The rr wounds near objectives isn't bad either even if it wont help my coalition beasts.

2 minutes ago, KoganStyle said:

Coalition rules prevent you.

Oh yeah i saw that.

Damn as someone who ran demon prince general +3 priests with jugements and 3x5 skullreapers in slaughterborn my list got absolutely destroyed

Okay, I'm confident I haven't landed on my final list with my first go but here is my first post-FAQ attempt at a Beasts of Khorne list. (My local group is happy to accept some proxies and conversions to keep it all beastly.)

GORETIDE

COMMNAD ENTOURAGE (just to save me one drop, maybe just make it a warlord batallion)

- Chaos lord on karkadrak w/gorecleaver 

- Skullgrinder W/thronebreaker torque

- Bloodsecrator

(These are my first drops along with the alpha beast pack so I picked the heroes I least cared about giving away the position of)

ALPHA BEASTPACK

- Ghorgon×2

BATTLE REGIMENT

- Korgus Khul

- Slaughterpriest w/curse (all out attack and all out defense kind of push out killing frenzy and bronzed flesh and if nothing else he can use warscroll prayers

- Slaughterpriest w/blood sacrifice

- 10 bloodreavers×2

- 10 blood warriors

- 6 bullgor

- 5 wrathmongers

The list pretty heavily relies on the beasts and chaos lord to do damage ironically while the blood warriors and reavers do objective duty in a bit of a castle near the altar where the bloodsecrator is probably going to Garrison. Khul and the priests will drift left or right of center depending where I want/need to punch. 

Hmmm come to think of its unclear whether I need 2 or any slaughterpriests. I mean 110 points for 1 blood tithe a turn and a dispel/unbind might not be worth it. Blessing blood warriors or cursing enemies for the bloodreavers mountain of dice could be worth keeping one. If I drop both priests I can afford a daemon prince but I'm down to 1 unbind/dispel. I could drop 1 priest and the skullgrinder and find a use for 200 points though.

Edited by The Red King

I actually think Khorne is in a decent spot: we have priests to give one unit a +1 to save and can ally wizards to give a second unit. I believe bronzed flesh only works on Khorne, so that’s it. Or double-tap Archaon with MS/BF so he needs -3 rend to even lower his armor. 

On 7/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, Roark said:

Well Chaos Warhounds are fast, stayed at a low 80pts, cover a lot of space, and can now be marked Khorne. Centigors are a little more expensive at 90pts, but are better in almost every respect, including lightning fast speed. Not necessarily related to Unleash Hell, but I still like Untamed Beasts for their pre-game move.

I've needed an extra good reason to make Centigors.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Sad that I can't use one of my Daemon Princes as a general, that just seems wrong.  They are ascended mortals!  Oh well, a Bloodsecrator can be general.  At least he has a good armor save.

I saw the Wrath-Axe summons on a 4+ now, that's an improvement.  Is it worth taking?

In my opinion it is not. It does less damage and disappears as soon as it has dealt damage. And the - 1 to Hit is miasing. So it became worse and more expensive. I love my Wrath Axe so much because of the - 1 to Hit and the D6 Mortals, which have both been taken off it :(

1 hour ago, Salyx said:

In my opinion it is not. It does less damage and disappears as soon as it has dealt damage. And the - 1 to Hit is miasing. So it became worse and more expensive. I love my Wrath Axe so much because of the - 1 to Hit and the D6 Mortals, which have both been taken off it :(

Technically, the way they wrote the warscroll it only disappears if you roll a 6 on the final damage check. I'm reasonably sure thats not what they intended, but it is how it is written in the current FAQ.

1 hour ago, Darksteve said:

Technically, the way they wrote the warscroll it only disappears if you roll a 6 on the final damage check. I'm reasonably sure thats not what they intended, but it is how it is written in the current FAQ.

I cant tell honestly. I mean the hexgorger skulls definitely only go away if the proc their big effect.

So just a thing to note for the jugger lord. His ability of 3 damage is triggered by a wound roll of 6, gore-cleaver affect of doubling damage  is also triggered by a wound roll of 6. So according to the rules you must pick which one will be in effect but not both ie damage 3 or double damage. I think you would do that for each wound roll as opposed to al, but regardless say goodbye to every wound of 6 being 6 damage at rend 2. He’s more swingy now as he normally does d3 damage. So if you pick the gorecleaver effect he is doing 2,4 or 6 damage depending. Then add hew the foe if you are goretide 

FYI the rend will still be there anyway

Edited by Praecautus
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, The Red King said:

GORETIDE

COMMNAD ENTOURAGE (just to save me one drop, maybe just make it a warlord batallion)

- Chaos lord on karkadrak w/gorecleaver 

- Skullgrinder W/thronebreaker torque

- Bloodsecrator

(snip)

ALPHA BEASTPACK

- Ghorgon×2

BATTLE REGIMENT

- Korgus Khul

- Slaughterpriest w/curse (all out attack and all out defense kind of push out killing frenzy and bronzed flesh and if nothing else he can use warscroll prayers

- Slaughterpriest w/blood sacrifice

- 10 bloodreavers×2

- 10 blood warriors

- 6 bullgor

- 5 wrathmongers

Just starting back into AOS for the new edition and I am a little confused how you got a single StoD coalition unit or is he not MOK?

I read the  FAQ as  2 in every 4 units in the army can be a coalition unit from the Slaves to Darkness faction that has the MOK keyword. (I may be overthinking it to be honest)

I am having real trouble find a fourth coalition StoD unit so I can fit 2 units of Chaos Knights and a Daemon Prince in.

53 minutes ago, Chocolate Obturator said:

Just starting back into AOS for the new edition and I am a little confused how you got a single StoD coalition unit or is he not MOK?

I read the  FAQ as  2 in every 4 units in the army can be a coalition unit from the Slaves to Darkness faction that has the MOK keyword. (I may be overthinking it to be honest)

I am having real trouble find a fourth coalition StoD unit so I can fit 2 units of Chaos Knights and a Daemon Prince in.

You won't need a 4th but you will need at least 5 units from the Khorne Battletome to make the list legal. Think of list building as batches of 4. In a batch of 4, 2 units can be StD, but the remaining units in that batch must be from the Khorne Battletome. So from your list above you could have:

Chaos Knights x 2 (StD)

Slaughterpriest x 2 (Khorne) 

Batch of 4.

Daemon Prince (StD)

Bloodthirster (Khorne)

Blood warriors (Khorne)

Flesh hounds (Khorne) 

Batch of 4.

• Like 1

Coming from Cities of Sigmar I'm pretty confident its basically "I have 13 units so I can take UP TO 3 BoC and UP TO 6 StD" taking any slaves or BoC doesnt effect the number of Boc or Slaves units you can take.

In living cities 1 in 4 can be sylvaneth and 1 in 4 can be stormcast but you just count your total units for the army to determine how many of the other two you can take, you dont have to literally count out a certain number of blades/std/boc units to take. If that makes any sense.

I'll do a visual representation 

K= Khorne unit

S= slaves

B= Beasts

[KKSB] [KKKB] [KKKB] K

I'm very confident that "2 in every 4 CAN be from slaves to darkness" doesnt mean you have to bring 2. I'm assuming its "up to 2" because of the use of the word can without any further stipulation.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like 4

What are people's thoughts on Magore's Fiends/Riptooth now? I like the idea of using the Goretide Ever Onwards ability along with the natural re-roll charge ability from Riptooth to send a very tight unit of them flying into the enemy. Plus they have gorefists and Magore has two rend-1 weapon profiles. They can also be good for padding out your number of Khorne units for the coalition rules. And you can put them in the Battle Regiment core battalion so their two drops can be offset.

Edited by Zamik