AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

10 hours ago, Salyx said:

There is a lot, so let me start.. 

First of All, ging full Bloodreavers will not work out very well. They Die in droves, you will never be able to fit 40 in and their leadership is horrible. 

Additionally, the Chaos Lord will Not work with Bloodreavers, as He only buffs Slaves to Darkness units. So either go with small units of Bloodreavers and drop the Chaos Lord or go full Marauders. If you go with Marauders and Chaos Lord and still use Skarbrand, you might as well take the Reapers of Vengeance Slaughterhost, which will allow Skarbrand to Pole in twice, whereas the Chaos Lord lets your other units Pole in twice. The Warahrine worms a lot Vetter with Slaves to Darkness units as well, because his aura and his warscroll prayer only work on Slaves. And if you use Slaughterpriests and Bloodsecrator, you should take the Gore Pilgrims Bataillon. It consists of 2-3 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodsecrator, one unit of Bloodwarriors and 1-2 Bloodreavers. So a lot of units you would take anyway and after including the Bataillon you got your battleline done. Moreover, the Bloodsecrator's auras are increased up to 24 inches. 

Hope, this was not too much and helps you in list building. 

Yeahhhhhhhh as tempting as it may seem two blocks  of 40 bloodreavers is definitely NOT the way to go. A 6+ save, a base bravery of 5 (ok it's 6 with the banner bearer but still) does not make for a longlasting horde unit. Also you would have to be INSANE to paint 90 reavers. (I should know I'm taking 60 in my list and I've already gone crazy after painting 15). Even though you can run them across the board with the goretide command ability and a bloodstoker, have fun getting 40 reavers packed into the 'stokers wholly within 8" whip range.

If you want to make the most out of your bloodreavers, I suggest taking Gore Pilgrims as well as Dark Feast and running them in an MSU approach. You can run a couple units of these guys up the board turn one and with Dark Feast and Gore Pilgrims  and have a lowly unit of 10 make 41 attacks if you line your buffs up right. Of course, 10 bloodreavers may not last long, but with meatripper axes against a 4+ save they should do about 7 wounds per phase at full strength.  The Goretide command ability allows 'reavers to be pretty versatile, you don't have to launch them right at the enemy, you can use that auto run 6 to get to objectives quicker (because lets face it mortals are painfully slow) or to  sneak past the enemies chaff to get to those pesky insufferable Vanguard Raptors (God I hate them so much they've shot off literally everything I hold dear) or another shooty unit that's too much of a wimp to engange in proper hand to hand combat. (I'm looking at you Flamers of Tzeentch with that 9" movement). *SIGH* 

Anyway, as mentioned previously Chungus Lord can only do the fight twice on STD units (which sucks btw, can you imagine Skarbrand or Skullreapers with fight twice?) so he's only really useful as a beatstick in this list (and a good one at that) In Goretide lists, there's the eternal debate on whether a Daemon Prince or Chungus Lord is better as a general, but personally I'm sold on the DP. With Dimensional blade on his claws, he's doing 9+ wounds per phase with fight first, and his command ability will give your opponents fits. (Of course if they're shooty boys using his ability might not be the best idea).

Ok, that was a lot of info, but I want to hear how whatever form this list takes does in the future. (Of course you can't really play anybody in person but if you're desperate [like me] you can get TableTop Simulator on Steam and download Khorne figurines and play against one of your friends) Anyway, I hope this helps!

3 hours ago, ogarrah said:

Yeahhhhhhhh as tempting as it may seem two blocks  of 40 bloodreavers is definitely NOT the way to go. A 6+ save, a base bravery of 5 (ok it's 6 with the banner bearer but still) does not make for a longlasting horde unit. Also you would have to be INSANE to paint 90 reavers. (I should know I'm taking 60 in my list and I've already gone crazy after painting 15). Even though you can run them across the board with the goretide command ability and a bloodstoker, have fun getting 40 reavers packed into the 'stokers wholly within 8" whip range.

If you want to make the most out of your bloodreavers, I suggest taking Gore Pilgrims as well as Dark Feast and running them in an MSU approach. You can run a couple units of these guys up the board turn one and with Dark Feast and Gore Pilgrims  and have a lowly unit of 10 make 41 attacks if you line your buffs up right. Of course, 10 bloodreavers may not last long, but with meatripper axes against a 4+ save they should do about 7 wounds per phase at full strength.  The Goretide command ability allows 'reavers to be pretty versatile, you don't have to launch them right at the enemy, you can use that auto run 6 to get to objectives quicker (because lets face it mortals are painfully slow) or to  sneak past the enemies chaff to get to those pesky insufferable Vanguard Raptors (God I hate them so much they've shot off literally everything I hold dear) or another shooty unit that's too much of a wimp to engange in proper hand to hand combat. (I'm looking at you Flamers of Tzeentch with that 9" movement). *SIGH* 

Anyway, as mentioned previously Chungus Lord can only do the fight twice on STD units (which sucks btw, can you imagine Skarbrand or Skullreapers with fight twice?) so he's only really useful as a beatstick in this list (and a good one at that) In Goretide lists, there's the eternal debate on whether a Daemon Prince or Chungus Lord is better as a general, but personally I'm sold on the DP. With Dimensional blade on his claws, he's doing 9+ wounds per phase with fight first, and his command ability will give your opponents fits. (Of course if they're shooty boys using his ability might not be the best idea).

Ok, that was a lot of info, but I want to hear how whatever form this list takes does in the future. (Of course you can't really play anybody in person but if you're desperate [like me] you can get TableTop Simulator on Steam and download Khorne figurines and play against one of your friends) Anyway, I hope this helps!

Awesome with all this feedback, and it's exactly TTS I was going to play it on, so I don't mind the build in regards to painting. Been playing quite a bit of TTS.

I guess Chungus Lord refers to the Chaos Lord on foot. He can get the Chaos lord on Karkadrak to fight twice though, so it isn't just as a beatstick. Not saying it's worth to run him without Marauders though.

I think I'll probably end up with 3 builds and tesing all 3. One focused on MSU Reavers, one with Marauders and a mix.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:18 AM, Agent of Chaos said:

Tooling around with the Blood Marked Warband. With so many mortal slaves units required its hard to fit much killing power into the list so went for MSU to generate a bunch of bloodtithe... reckon this list has legs?

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (250)
- General
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Dimensional Blade
Chaos Lord (110)
- Daemonbound War-flail
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice

Battleline
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)
- Axes & Shields
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield
-
 Javelin & Shield
-
 Javelin & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
- Cursed Lance
5 x Chaos Knights (180)
-
 Ensorcelled Weapons
1 x Slaves to Darkness Chaos Spawn (50)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (140)
Bloodmarked Warband (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

As a noob, can I ask why you are going slaughterhost Goretide?

10 hours ago, DestructionFranz said:

Hello guys. 

I have a couple of noob questions. 

How many prayers can chant one slaughter Priest  in  hero phase? 

Is it possible to repeat the same prayer with two different slaughter priests? 

Technically 3 (1 warscroll, 1 blood blessing and 1 judgement)

the only prayers though that can be repeated are the warscroll prayers (you can blood boil or blood Bind once per priest). The blood blessings and judgements are unique once per hero phase. 

As priests are essentially lvl3 wizards (if including judgements) that can’t be unbound for a 100 points you see why they’re Khorne best hero by a country mile (outside of possibly Bloodthirster spam lists).

its for this reason I think similar to Fyreslayers some smaller Khorne hero’s shouldn’t have the “leader” designation and then they might see play. Khorne lists either spam Bloodthirsters or spam priests throw in a bloodsecrator maybe a bloodstoker and your leader slots are full.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

Technically 3 (1 warscroll, 1 blood blessing and 1 judgement)

the only prayers though that can be repeated are the warscroll prayers (you can blood boil or blood Bind once per priest). The blood blessings and judgements are unique once per hero phase. 

As priests are essentially lvl3 wizards (if including judgements) that can’t be unbound for a 100 points you see why they’re Khorne best hero by a country mile (outside of possibly Bloodthirster spam lists).

its for this reason I think similar to Fyreslayers some smaller Khorne hero’s shouldn’t have the “leader” designation and then they might see play. Khorne lists either spam Bloodthirsters or spam priests throw in a bloodsecrator maybe a bloodstoker and your leader slots are full.

I think technically you can summon the same judgment twice in the same turn, as long as you are bringing two. I can't see in the rules where it is stated that it is not possible. Neither in the FAQ.

image.png.020a7a6bdbc8254b9f19a312cb6b1682.png

6 minutes ago, Rune said:

I think technically you can summon the same judgment twice in the same turn, as long as you are bringing two. I can't see in the rules where it is stated that it is not possible. Neither in the FAQ.

image.png.020a7a6bdbc8254b9f19a312cb6b1682.png

Open play your correct but I was assuming matched play. Although yeah it wasn’t specified  

Matched play you either summon it and can’t summon again. Or you fail and can’t attempt again in the same turn.

34FD4A67-50A3-4877-916F-BFE8FE3F1EF6.jpeg

Edited by Reuben Parker
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

Open play your correct but I was assuming matched play. Although yeah it wasn’t specified  

Matched play you either summon it and can’t summon again. Or you fail and can’t attempt again in the same turn.

34FD4A67-50A3-4877-916F-BFE8FE3F1EF6.jpeg

I've gotta read the whole paragraph that's all. Cheers hah

• Like 1

Hey got a quick question on Apoplectic Frenzy, I assume because you expend Blood Tithe Rewards in the hero phase, you can use this reward to have a unit fight twice, once in the hero phase and once again  in the combat phase, I didn't see anything in the core rules that said you couldn't do this, and I also would assume that you can make a normal move if possible later in your turn in the movement phase if you had already wiped the unit you were in combat with. Just checking to make sure that I know what I'm doing (for once in my life)

1 hour ago, ogarrah said:

Hey got a quick question on Apoplectic Frenzy, I assume because you expend Blood Tithe Rewards in the hero phase, you can use this reward to have a unit fight twice, once in the hero phase and once again  in the combat phase, I didn't see anything in the core rules that said you couldn't do this, and I also would assume that you can make a normal move if possible later in your turn in the movement phase if you had already wiped the unit you were in combat with. Just checking to make sure that I know what I'm doing (for once in my life)

Yes those scenarios work as you want them to. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I dont expect to the use the command ability much so its mostly for Hew the Foe on the Lord on Karkadrak, and rerolling 1's near objectives. Torc on the bloodsecrator is pretty nice too. 

If you don't take one, you can get a better artifact and a 5+ FNP on Karkadrak, making him extremely tanky and killy. Just an idea

On 4/19/2020 at 8:50 AM, ogarrah said:

Since you asked - I've got a new list to show!

Basic ingredients of the list:

- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (120)
Skarbrand (380)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (300)
20 x Chaos Marauders (150)

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

That's 1470 points.

There are few direction to go from here. Add more Marauders and supporting units or what I prefer add Gore Pilgrims, a Bloodstoker and Bleeding Icon:

Leaders
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Bleeding Icon (40)

Skullshard Mantle probably goes on the Bloodsektrator, and Gryph-Feather Charm on the Demon Prince. I could also go offensive and go Rune Blade on him, but honestly, there is so much shooting in the meta, and I think that it's against those armies that I'll have the biggest difficulties.

DP and Skarbrand can fight twice. Warshrine + Bronzed Flesh makes the Marauders a re-rollable 4+ save for a tanky turn 1. Insane movement too.

Going a different direction could be adding a Darkoath Chieftain, 2*20 more Marauders, a Bloodstoker and a command point.

I think this list can really do some things.

Edited by Rune
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rune said:

If you don't take one, you can get a better artifact and a 5+ FNP on Karkadrak, making him extremely tanky and killy. Just an idea

I find it hard to go past Dimensional Blade on his axe and Hew the Foe benefits his sword as well. I dont know if a 5+ FNP is better then that combo,  given he already has a 5+ against mortals and at the expense of the slaughterhost.

I really like the sword of judgement with the chaos lords flail. Has the potential to be a real hero slayer. However I could swap it out for something better.

What artifact would you suggest is worth not running Goretide?

39 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I find it hard to go past Dimensional Blade on his axe and Hew the Foe benefits his sword as well. I dont know if a 5+ FNP is better then that combo,  given he already has a 5+ against mortals and at the expense of the slaughterhost.

I really like the sword of judgement with the chaos lords flail. Has the potential to be a real hero slayer. However I could swap it out for something better.

What artifact would you suggest is worth not running Goretide?

The army that won the South Australia Grand Tournament was Khorne with no Slaughterhost. Running dimensional blade and 5+ FNP on Karkadrak. It's only slightly less damage for 33% increase in survivability. 

I don't know about which artifact you'd choose as your second, but it could be anything (as you got no restrictions) that you would find that suits you best. 

Again, I'm new to Khorne, just wanted to give you an idea to perhaps build on

Edited by Rune
  • Thanks 1

- Slaughterhost: Baleful Lords (Host of Chaos)
LEADERS
Skarbrand (380)
- General
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (270)
- Artefact : Black Brass Crown
- Artefact : The Crimson Crown
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact : Collar of Contempt
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
UNITS
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist - 1 x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
BATTALIONS
Gore Pilgrims (140)
Tyrants of Blood (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS Hexgorger Skulls (40)
TOTAL: 2000

guys what are your thoughts on my Khorne List ? 

16 hours ago, theDon said:

- Slaughterhost: Baleful Lords (Host of Chaos)
LEADERS
Skarbrand (380)
- General
- Artefact : Black Brass Crown
- Artefact : The Crimson Crown
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact : Collar of Contempt
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
UNITS
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist - 1 x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
BATTALIONS
Gore Pilgrims (140)
Tyrants of Blood (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS Hexgorger Skulls (40)
TOTAL: 2000

guys what are your thoughts on my Khorne List ? 

I’m not trying to be harsh or negative but I see no one has replied.

I guess it depends on what your meta has. Your list would be stronger vs shooting armies. However I think it’s quite a weak list vs melee armies.

Vs melee armies an unfettered is an auto include in a Bloodthirster list as his CA breaks the game open for the Bloodthirsters.  Then also vs melee Reapers for double fight is a lot stronger. Then the gore pilgrims and blood warriors feels like a lot of dead weight 440 points. 

if your facing a lot of shooting and your plan is just to alpha strike and then hold objectives then the list is probably fine although I would still look to drop the gore pilgrims and warriors for a 3rd cheap battle line and another Bloodthirster. Also when playing Skarbrand I always try to have some Wrathmongers as anything that adds attacks to him is insanely good. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

I’m not trying to be harsh or negative but I see no one has replied.

I guess it depends on what your meta has. Your list would be stronger vs shooting armies. However I think it’s quite a weak list vs melee armies.

Vs melee armies an unfettered is an auto include in a Bloodthirster list as his CA breaks the game open for the Bloodthirsters.  Then also vs melee Reapers for double fight is a lot stronger. Then the gore pilgrims and blood warriors feels like a lot of dead weight 440 points. 

if your facing a lot of shooting and your plan is just to alpha strike and then hold objectives then the list is probably fine although I would still look to drop the gore pilgrims and warriors for a 3rd cheap battle line and another Bloodthirster. Also when playing Skarbrand I always try to have some Wrathmongers as anything that adds attacks to him is insanely good. 

The Intention was to use the bloodthirsters and Skatbrand to get in the Front and hold of or Break the Enemy Lines and get some  BTP.
The 2 slaughterpriest can swap between the bloodthirsters and bloodwariors to buff where its needed. You also got 3 counterspells from slaughterpriest and bloodsecrator and the skulls. The bloodreavers can be used to hold objectives in the backline or to generate more BTP. 
i am thinking of to change the slaughterhost to Bloodlords to get more mobility on skarbrand and the two 1st strikes on the bloodthirsters. (Bloodlords artefact + tyrannts of Blood)

I spent a long time leading with BTs in the front just to watch them die prematurely.  Now I just put a thin line of Reavers in front of them until they're ready to fly over the line and Tyrants of Blood everything in reach.  You just need to remember to make a hole for Skar to walk through.

I ran Bloodlords for a long time and first strike is a lot of fun and people hate it.  However, I'm now running Reapers and the damage output with Skar is just so much greater *and* I can still have some quasi-"attack first" capability with the Unfettered Fury.  But to be honest, I usually don't bother.  Even if it's not my turn, I can usually endure one attack to have all the Thirsters go at once.  But that won't work against some armies.

I have no advice against shooting armies.  Prepare to lose, hope you get some good hits in, and better luck next game.

15 hours ago, theDon said:

i am thinking of to change the slaughterhost to Bloodlords to get more mobility on skarbrand and the two 1st strikes on the bloodthirsters. (Bloodlords artefact + tyrannts of Blood)

Unless I'm terribly mistaken you can't make Skarbrand faster because he is a named character. They cannot have command traits - nor artifacts.

What would be the weaknesses in a list like this?

Artifact - Halo of Blood Skull Alter - 0

Slaughterpriest - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Bloodcrushers 9 - 420

Bloodcrushers 9 - 420

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster - 300

Bleeding Icon - 40

Wrath-Axe - 60

Deamon Prince - 210

Furries 6 - 100

35 minutes ago, CrazyIvan said:

What would be the weaknesses in a list like this?

Artifact - Halo of Blood Skull Alter - 0

Slaughterpriest - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Bloodcrushers 9 - 420

Bloodcrushers 9 - 420

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster - 300

Bleeding Icon - 40

Wrath-Axe - 60

Deamon Prince - 210

Furries 6 - 100

Very interesting list but if you're looking for weaknesses...

2 x judgements with only one priest seems ambitious.

9 x juggers is a huge footprint. 2 units like that could lead to all sorts of issues with deployment. I dont think 3 units of hounds is enough to screen both units and if they get tagged on both ends they will be all but useless. Daemon Prince will help prevent you from getting charged though so might be OK. 

Okay after reading your comment and watching a few videos would this list be better?

Allegiance - Khorne

Slaughterhost - Reapers of Vengeance

Skull Alter - 0

Murderhost - 160

Bloodthirster of Unfetted Fury /  General, Devestating Blow, Mark of the Slayer - 270

Daemon Prince / Demonic Axe, Mark of Khorne - 210

Skulltaker - 120

Bloodsecrator / Banner of Wrath - 140

Slaughterpriest / Wrath Hammer, Talisman of Burning Blood, Bronzed Flesh - 100

Slaughterpriest / Wrath Hammer, Talisman of Burning Blood, Killing Frenzy - 100

Hex Gorged Skulls - 40

Wrath-Axe - 60

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Bloodcrushers 6 - 280

Bloodcrushers 6 - 280

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 4:53 AM, CrazyIvan said:

Okay after reading your comment and watching a few videos would this list be better?

Allegiance - Khorne

Slaughterhost - Reapers of Vengeance

Skull Alter - 0

Murderhost - 160

Bloodthirster of Unfetted Fury /  General, Devestating Blow, Mark of the Slayer - 270

Daemon Prince / Demonic Axe, Mark of Khorne - 210

Skulltaker - 120

Bloodsecrator / Banner of Wrath - 140

Slaughterpriest / Wrath Hammer, Talisman of Burning Blood, Bronzed Flesh - 100

Slaughterpriest / Wrath Hammer, Talisman of Burning Blood, Killing Frenzy - 100

Hex Gorged Skulls - 40

Wrath-Axe - 60

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Fleshhounds 5 - 100

Bloodcrushers 6 - 280

Bloodcrushers 6 - 280

You can only take 2 artefacts. The 1 from the slaughterhost and a 2nd one for battalion.

I am personaly not a big fan of murderhost.  But if i take it i would take bloodletters insted of hounds. You got already 2 priest and skulls for counterspells and the letters can get MW on your opponent. Maybe a mix of letters and 1 unit of hounds for zoneing.