AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

ok guys, i need help for finishing a list i'm trying to make

it's 1 bloodsecrator, 2 slaughterpriest, 1exalted deathbringer, 2x10 bloodwarriors, 3x5 skullreapers, 10 bloodreavers,5 wrathmongers, 1 SLAUGHTERBORN, axe and skulls judgments

which is 1850 pts

i don't know how to finish the list

i'm hesitating with
1) 5 wrathmongers
2) a third slaughterpriest + the idol
3) aspiring deathbringer + 10 more reavers

Edited by ledha

1 hour ago, ledha said:

it's 1 bloodsecrator, 2 slaughterpriest, 1exalted deathbringer, 2x10 bloodwarriors, 3x5 skullreapers, 10 bloodreavers,5 wrathmongers, 1 SLAUGHTERBORN, axe and skulls judgments

which is 1850 pts

i'm hesitating with
1) 5 wrathmongers

Bloodstoker should probably be in there to re roll wounds. And his charge and run bonus when needed. 

Edited by Impa

1 hour ago, ledha said:

which is 1850 pts

i'm hesitating with
1) 5 wrathmongers

From the list I'd say wrathmongers, they're a killer unit and having a pair would definitely help if you're facing a lot of ranged or magic. 

Just played a 1000 point game and I have to say Bloodmaster and skullcannons with Reapers of Vengence is nasty. Move a block of wrathmonger around with them and they are shooting 4 times, charging, the bloodmaster fights with the artefact and then lets the cannons fight, kill a model and shoot 4x again. With buffs I had 2x cannons hittingon 2s reroll 1s, wounding on 3s reroll ones against heros and monsters

28 minutes ago, Darksteve said:

Just played a 1000 point game and I have to say Bloodmaster and skullcannons with Reapers of Vengence is nasty. Move a block of wrathmonger around with them and they are shooting 4 times, charging, the bloodmaster fights with the artefact and then lets the cannons fight, kill a model and shoot 4x again. With buffs I had 2x cannons hittingon 2s reroll 1s, wounding on 3s reroll ones against heros and monsters

How did you get 4 shots per skullcannon before Combat? I can see 2 shots each with the Wrathmongers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, phizzco said:

Enjoy it till it gets errata'd. Basically op like shootcast

"OP" lol ok. It makes skullcannons playable. If it really gets errataed then I guess its back to warming the bench for them.

25 minutes ago, Rivener said:

How did you get 4 shots per skullcannon before Combat? I can see 2 shots each with the Wrathmongers.

Sorry if it wasnt clear 4 shots for the unit of 2x skullcannons, so 2 shots per cannon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MOMUS said:

Skullreapers +10

Trial of skulls more consistent but weaker overall, easier to remember,  makes unit weaker against leaders
Daemon forged only on 6, so no stacking buffs, no longer hurts unit on a 1
Murderous makes unit immune to BS great buff considering the banner, only on 5+ now but always D3

Also get reroll all hits against units of 5+ and +1 attack each

Wrathmongers -40
Exactly the same, crimson haze is now 8" but units wholly within, blood fury is just mortal wounds similar to reapers

Skull crushers +40
Extra attack, extra 1 bravery from banner, no longer have shield ability, charge ability is done model by model

Also have +1 to their save

Reavers 
Same, devotion is 16 but wholly, 

Warriors 
Same

improved gore fist, goes off on saves of 6

Stoker 
Now reroll all wounds not just 1s, range reduced to 8 and wholly within

only effects mortals now

Aspiring deathbringer 
Cowards bane now range 3, slaughter is 12 wholly 

Priest 
Blood bind is now move the enemy unit the prayer roll
Flesh - same
Sacrifice - wholly within 8
Resanguination - same
Fury - same
Hex- auto dispel endless spell within 16 (not wholly) probs typo

Jugger Lord +20
Shield now 5+
Charge now 2+
Axe same
Stampede is now only units that charged, 16, wholly and reroll wound rolls of 1

Skarr +40
Attacks diff but similar
Auto raises but end of movement on 8+ on 2D6, command ability to buff Wrathmongers to pile in when slain

Bloodsecrator 
No immunity to BS

Loathsome is now 16

Rage is 16, wholly
Can now move an use buffs

MLoK +20
Same
Gorelord is now 16, wholly but any number of units

Letters -10/-20
Blood banner is now reroll charges
Gore icon is same
Mortal wounds only on 6 but is now in addition to normal damage
Murderous Tide is same 

Hounds 
Now have roar ranged attack on champ
Locus of abjuration removed 

Karanak +50
6 attacks on maw
Gains re roll charges
Unbind same
Summon hounds same

I added some extra bits you missed. (I'm sure I missed some myself)

So the Hex Skulls reduce casting roll by 2 does that mean your unbind attemp is against the modified cast or is it vs hard dice roll?

I'm kinda jerked that there is only 1 unit that has a bonus to unbind in am army thats suppose to be so anti magic. There is just so many bonuses to casting rolls out there it makes unbinding a futile effort.

50 minutes ago, Roark said:

Hey, do the Mortal Slaughterhosts only require Khorne Mortal generals or do they specify Bloodbound?

As far as I can tell none of the hosts have any requirements for mortal or daemon. The abilities affect mortals or daemons depending on the rules, but generals can be whatever. Same with the the artifacts,  you could give  an insensate bloodthirster the +2 attack artifact from skullfiend if you wanted to. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

As far as I can tell none of the hosts have any requirements for mortal or daemon. The abilities affect mortals or daemons depending on the rules, but generals can be whatever. Same with the the artifacts,  you could give  an insensate bloodthirster the +2 attack artifact from skullfiend if you wanted to. 

Haha, awesome. I need to be able to make a Chaos Lord on Manticore my Goretide general.

On the charge, with Dimensional Blade:

Daemon blade 4 3 3 -3 dmg1d3+1
Lance 3 3 3 -1 dmg4 (on the charge)
Jaws 5 4 2 -2 dmg2
Tail d6 4 4 0 dmg2

And all those weapon profiles can be buffed out the wazoo with Mongers, Secrators and Deathbringers. 

Not a bad combat package for 250pts. He can be my Mortal Thirster. ;-)

(Imagine if, around GHB time, they fix his Mark ability to be a true 6" pile-in too. That would be insane.)

Does anyone know the order in which the Axe of Khorne deals it’s damage? In a game today someone argued that it deals the D6 damage upon its arrival from summoning and then an additional D3 on any units it passes over. 

The wording always seems to favor movement though, so I thought you summoned it, moved it and then where it rested it did the D6 within 3”. 

Basically is the D6 front loaded or back loaded? 

Not sure if it was highlighted, but the Bloodwarriors' leader no longer adds 1 to the attack characteristic of any weapon other than Goreaxe(s) which devalues Goreglaive slightly. Still useful, but no more extra attack from being the leader.

Also thought it interesting to point out that Judgement rolls are not Prayer rolls, and say any "Khorne Priest" can attempt tp cast them. A Chaps Warshrine dedicated to Khorne has both the "Khorne" and "Priest" keywords, and can therefore roll a Judegement to bring it on the field.

The Skull Alter also affects this, by allowing the Chaos Warshrine to reroll failed Prayers and Judgement rolls for "Khorne" "Priests". This prayer can also be the prayer the warscroll prayer to reroll failed hit rolls that goes off on a 3+. 

Does the book or Slaughterpriest Warscroll identify in any meaningful way what the order of operates are regarding their capabilities? 

Can they Pray, Bless and Judge all in 1 go? Do they either choose to pray or judge but they can still bless? Which combination of things are they able to do? 

3 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Does the book or Slaughterpriest Warscroll identify in any meaningful way what the order of operates are regarding their capabilities? 

Can they Pray, Bless and Judge all in 1 go? Do they either choose to pray or judge but they can still bless? Which combination of things are they able to do? 

None of the abilities reference replacement of each other and there are no limitations on the slaughterpriests in terms of thier casting attempts, so you can do 1 prayer, 1 blood blessing, 1 judgement, and attempt to unbind an endless spell all in the same hero phase with the same priest.

• Like 2

So my list for a friendly 1.5k game on Tuesday is as follows

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster 320

Skulltaker 120

Slaughterpriestx2 200

Bloodsecrator 140

30xBloodletters 300

10xBloodletters 110

5xFlesh Hounds 100

5xWrathmongers 140

Wrath Axe judgement  60

Altar of Skulls 

Total 1470

The idea being that Skulltaker and the regiment of Bloodletters will move up in formation with Wrathmongers behind and Bloodsecrator behind them, a potential 91 attacks hitting on 3s wounding on 3s and re rolling 1s

1 of the Slaughter priests will hang back at the altar praying for blood sacrifice on the unit of 10 bloodletters. Hopefully roll a few 1s in battleshock for that unit and keep them supplying blood tithe. 

The other Slaughterpriest will move up with the judgement, and the WoK plus Flesh hounds will charge up the board. 

Any thoughts or anything you would do differently? 

19 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Thanks for the big breakdown and analysis. Is everything really worse though? 

Any thoughts on the Battalions or Slaughterhosts at all?

In a word yes, lol. My main gripe is that the secrator which was the main crux/crutch of the army  has massively changed but still stayed the same points and everyone's bravery and points stayed the same? Surely such a massive change would have many similar knock on effects? I get why it was done, just seems now rather than castle around the banner everyone will castle around the new free terrain bandwagon.

This combined with some keyword restrictions on everything and the range 8 fluffy nonsense range on loads of abilities is frustrating.

I was hoping on some flexibility on summoning and tithe but it's actually been locked down even more inflexible. Which is a shame cuz I enjoyed the tactical aspect this opened up for khorne when 2.0 dropped.

Had a game against a top UK khorne player the other day and had some talk on lists, will defo need to start from scratch!

Slaughterhosts  have no minimum requirements which is good, but cmd traits and artefacts are mandatory

Goretide 
Reroll wound roll of 1 when wholly within 12 of objective. Defo useful with the added focus on objectives in AoS 2, stacks well with a lot of units
Command ability, 1 unit, auto run 6 and can charge in same turn, wholly within 16, warriors/reavers only
Annoying restriction same as skullfiend, still good 
Cmd trait, add 1 damage to generals weapons
Artefact, model ignores save modifiers

Skullfiend 
Reroll hits of 1 when wholly within 12 of enemy hero, (mortal only) really like this sniping heroes but doesn't stack with the cmd ability and the two mainstain mortal units already have this ability so actually pretty lame
Cmd ability, reroll hit and wounds of khorgorath wholly within 10, interesting for sure thought about a 5 khor list within skulltake battalion for super punch, might be a gimick tho
Cmd trait, 2 tithe points when general slays heroes
Artefact, add two attacks to a weapon

I think goretide wins out which is a shame cuz I liked the idea of the hero snipe and my army is painted in skullfiend colours 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Draakur said:

Looking like after a bit of theory work now, Juggernauts may not actually be as viable as we first thought then?

They're pretty much sitting ducks, when in combat. After they dished out their MWs, they'll just sit there. Maybe that's what they're supposed to do.

In general, I have to admit, that the book lets me down at a lot of points.
Skullreapers lost their snowbally buffing of themselves. They're still good now, but kind of a little expensive for 180 points imo.
Wrathmongers totally lost their punch, imo. It used to be so scary for the enemies, when they had to face them. Now they became a support unit for 140 points. That might be ok, but for me it's a let down, to be honest.

Most of the battalions are absolutely mediocre, or even useless. Same with the artefacts and traits. Did anyone also notice, that there are sooooooo far many possibilities to reroll hit rolls? Over and over again, with very differnt aretacts and traits.
Seems a little lazy from GW's side there.

Some units got good, so as Skarr ( finally ) and Skarbrand ( he really had to get something, tbh ).

The entire playstyle of Khorne did shift to be a pretty defensive army now. It is like "Let them come, then punch them". The units themselves hit not that hard anymore ( what they also didn't  in the previous book ). It comes down to the judgements and a little number of unit combos.

I am a little disappointed, but we'll see what can be done with the book.

I mean, what Khorne had to do, are the Beasts of Chaos now doing pretty much, so they already became my 2nd army ;)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1