AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Played three 750 pts games last night with my Daemon Prince + soul grinder list, and lost every one! A couple were close games that swung on an objective, the other i got tabled by beasts of chaos.

Soul grinder was a bit meh tbh. It caused wounds every shooting phase and combat phase it was in, but died every game. I think with +1 or +2 A it would be decent, but its offensive power wasnt quite enough for its points. Still love the model though, so i'll keep him in my 2k list.

Wanted to try a list without the bloodsecrator and bloodletter blob, and i think the list missed real decent buffs to boost everything.

• Sad 2

56 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

Played three 750 pts games last night with my Daemon Prince + soul grinder list, and lost every one! A couple were close games that swung on an objective, the other i got tabled by beasts of chaos.

Soul grinder was a bit meh tbh. It caused wounds every shooting phase and combat phase it was in, but died every game. I think with +1 or +2 A it would be decent, but its offensive power wasnt quite enough for its points. Still love the model though, so i'll keep him in my 2k list.

Wanted to try a list without the bloodsecrator and bloodletter blob, and i think the list missed real decent buffs to boost everything.

What kind of loadout on your prince?

I'm thinking mark of the slayer may be better than the crimson crown.  No extra attacks, but the bubble affects units, not models, and they don't need to be wholly within so daisy chain shenanigans are in effect.  It also affects anything with the mark of khorne so mortals, daemons, and monsters!

Rerolling 1s to hit is almost as good as an extra attack on 6s, rerolling 1s to wound makes it even better, and you can potentially affect a lot more models.  Plus a daemon prince will almost never miss with his built in +1!  So immense power if he is the general plus mark of the slayer?

14 minutes ago, Kevlar1972 said:

What kind of loadout on your prince?

I'm thinking mark of the slayer may be better than the crimson crown.  No extra attacks, but the bubble affects units, not models, and they don't need to be wholly within so daisy chain shenanigans are in effect.  It also affects anything with the mark of khorne so mortals, daemons, and monsters!

Rerolling 1s to hit is almost as good as an extra attack on 6s, rerolling 1s to wound makes it even better, and you can potentially affect a lot more models.  Plus a daemon prince will almost never miss with his built in +1!  So immense power if he is the general plus mark of the slayer?

I had devastating blow and crimson crown. I considered mark of the slayer, but the bloodletter locus already does the reroll 1s to hit anyway. There were a couple of occasions where an extra save from the armour of scorn would have been really useful as well.

Devastating blow didnt do as much as i would of liked, as i came up against a few mortal wound saves in my games. 

Edited by mastercrafted

20 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

I had devastating blow and crimson crown. I considered mark of the slayer, but the bloodletter locus already does the reroll 1s to hit anyway. There were a couple of occasions where an extra save from the armour of scorn would have been really useful as well.

Devastating blow didnt do as much as i would of liked, as i came up against a few mortal wound saves in my games. 

Yeah mortals are nice but won't help you tear through chaff units like immense power will.  I guess if you built him for hero hunting or were playing vs stormcast but then I think the rend sword or sword of judgement plus immense power would still be better.

2 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Yeah mortals are nice but won't help you tear through chaff units like immense power will.  I guess if you built him for hero hunting or were playing vs stormcast but then I think the rend sword or sword of judgement plus immense power would still be better.

I took the DP mainly for the letter locus and crimson crown, and devastating blow was to give him a bit of offensive potential. But yeah i think +1 dam or slaughterborn would have been better bets 

5 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

Yup very likely, our monsters still arnt that amazing.
Will say that Council of Blood can be, but this is because of the BT buffs and the possible inclusion of Skarbrand too.

For this reason I basially don't fiddle with Soulgrinders or Daemon Princes for Khorne. 

7 minutes ago, Killax said:

Yup very likely, our monsters still arnt that amazing.
Will say that Council of Blood can be, but this is because of the BT buffs and the possible inclusion of Skarbrand too.

For this reason I basially don't fiddle with Soulgrinders or Daemon Princes for Khorne. 

It was a bit sad to see the soul grinder get destroyed in a straight up fight with a ghorgon. I think it might of had a buff or two on it, i can't remember exactly but it was very one sided. Unless the dice were against me, it makes you wonder what you're paying the points for?

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 5:00 PM, mastercrafted said:

It was a bit sad to see the soul grinder get destroyed in a straight up fight with a ghorgon. I think it might of had a buff or two on it, i can't remember exactly but it was very one sided. Unless the dice were against me, it makes you wonder what you're paying the points for?

While Id say AoS2 point cost balance is really getting better with the GH, I will also say that some piece just arn't up to snuff for their cost. ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Killax said:

While Id say AoS2 point cost balance is really getting better with the GH, I will also say that some piece just arn't up to snuff for their cost. ;) 

With 3 weapons it can benefit well from extra attack buffs, and any to hit or to wound buffs would certainly help. I'm determined to keep taking it cos i love the model so much!

I'm thinking having him near wrathmongers could be good, cos its easy to get him in their buff bubble and units that can wreck the soul grinder probably don't wanna be in combat with Wrathmongers 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

With 3 weapons it can benefit well from extra attack buffs, and any to hit or to wound buffs would certainly help. I'm determined to keep taking it cos i love the model so much!

I'm thinking having him near wrathmongers could be good, cos its easy to get him in their buff bubble and units that can wreck the soul grinder probably don't wanna be in combat with Wrathmongers 

The Soul Grinder is expensive, but he scales very well with buffs, +1 to hit with Slaughterpriests is great as it effects his ranged attacks too.

I played a bit with my unpainted one and can't wait to start painting him in the new year when my painting schedule clears up a bit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

Does this mean they can do killing frenzy and blood boil in the same turn, or is it implying that the blood blessing doesnt replace any prayers they know?

The former and they always know their warscroll prayer in addition to the picked blood blessing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello! My first time to post in Khorne's group, I was an Ogor-player (as you maybe can see my profile picture ?)

I've played some tournaments as Khorne and I like its gamestyle a lot and it has become funnier in AoS 2 when summoning has updated!
Anyways I've played lastest tournament in Umeå (north of Sweden) where 40 players are playing there, two days for 5 matches and I went with Red Headsmen and Gore Pilgrims. I won 3 matches in a row against BoC, Tzeentch and Death but next day I lost 2 games against Death and Seraphon :( . Red Headsmen I honestly think it works amazing, very strategic and dangerous to play with. I took 6x5 Blood Warriors to boost up Worthy Foe for extra attacks, Skullgrinder has Dimension Blade and Aspiring Sword of Jugdement. Worst game I've played ever was against Death where they had 2 heroes so my battalion didn't do well. 5 Skullreapers was included in my army list and they helped a lot. However I've noticed that I hate when Priests often are the key, if prayers become very unlucky then it changes dramatically in game...

Now I'll have a another tournament in late of October and I've made a list if you maybe want to leave some feedbacks (sorry it will not be Red Headsmen this time).

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
- Trait: Immense Power 
- Artefact: Deathdealer 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
Bloodsecrator (140)
Bloodstoker (80)
- Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood 

Battleline
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
30 x Bloodletters (320)

Units
10 x Skullreapers (340)
- Daemonblades
- 2x Soultearers

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (200)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

A little summary of how I thinking
In the first round Bloodletters will hopefully be boosted up with hits.. run, charge and kill with the buffs of Whipped Fury and Lord of the Blood Hunt.
When it's my turn in second round, I'll then boost up hits on my Skullreapers and hopefully to charge and doing for the Blood for the God!

Wrath of the Bloodthirster will then try to charge if it needs, with his dmg D3+2 can do very good dmg (once time he did 27 wounds on Nagash ;)).

In any of situations I can handle with objectives and so on.

This army also is a good anti-magic when it's included Gore Pilgrims and Wrath of Bloodthirster (+2 to unbind).

Hey and thanks!
Kind regards
Fredrik

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

Awesome stuff! One prayer and one blood blessing per priest per turn then (range allowing) - i've been doing only 1 of either so this is a nice boost!

Yeah and in context it's also why a lot of players will like Gore Pilgrims, as you really get some bang for your 100 point buck for Slaughterpriests there. But the cool thing is that more diamonds can be found. Though for monster madness I'd really suggest a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster or Skarbrand over a Soulgrinder.

@Overtyrant of Destruction list looks solid Fredrik! I would probably say that you could just fill it up to 2000 because with one Bloodletter block and a Wrath of Khorne I don't think you would need that many more Command Points...

However do as you please, this will work out.  I think I'd put the Skullreapers to 5, add 5 Wrathmongers, drop the 10 Bloodreavers and use the 30 points to upgrade the 5 Blood Warriors to 10. 

Edited by Killax
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

I have an Insensate rage bloodthirster which is ok, but i think i'm gonna have to get the Wrath of Khorne just for his command ability and unbind

Yeah its sweet, Command Ability, Unbinding and adding Immense Strenght to him makes it well worth the investment, it's a bit like a glass cannon but will work out great if you master the piece, especially due to how great his Command Ability can be with summonned Daemons throughout the game.

9 minutes ago, Killax said:

Yeah its sweet, Command Ability, Unbinding and adding Immense Strenght to him makes it well worth the investment, it's a bit like a glass cannon but will work out great if you master the piece, especially due to how great his Command Ability can be with summonned Daemons throughout the game.

Command Ability would be great with the soul grinder as well, with its 12" movement and ability to run n gun

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Killax said:

@Overtyrant of Destruction list looks solid Fredrik! I would probably say that you could just fill it up to 2000 because with one Bloodletter block and a Wrath of Khorne I don't think you would need that many more Command Points...

However do as you please, this will work out.  I think I'd put the Skullreapers to 5, add 5 Wrathmongers, drop the 10 Bloodreavers and use the 30 points to upgrade the 5 Blood Warriors to 10. 

@Killax Thank you for reply! I needed an inspiration and now you got me to use Wrathmongers! However I've never played with them so sometimes I cannot understand English very well.. so Crimson Haze means that it buffs all foes, so say if Skullreapers stay near to Wrathmonger, Skullreapers will gain 1 extra attack with their weapons?

And Bloodfury.. if a model of Wrathmongers is slain, then I can choose an enemy model within 2" to attack only its unit or itself? Possible like Stonehorn punches himself? ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Overtyrant of Destruction said:

@Killax Thank you for reply! I needed an inspiration and now you got me to use Wrathmongers! However I've never played with them so sometimes I cannot understand English very well.. so Crimson Haze means that it buffs all foes, so say if Skullreapers stay near to Wrathmonger, Skullreapers will gain 1 extra attack with their weapons?

And Bloodfury.. if a model of Wrathmongers is slain, then I can choose an enemy model within 2" to attack only its unit or itself? Possible like Stonehorn punches himself? ?

Cheers! Yeah Wrathmongers are just allround awesome and act as a backup Bloodsecrator plan also. Crimson Haze basically buffs everybody except them. So yes, if Skullreapers are near them (often behind) they too will recieve additional attacks.

Bloodfury is the main selling point, you can choose what it attacks, including itself. So yeah Stonehorn, Archaon's etc. punching themselves. Heck even Skarband tries to knock himself out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Killax said:

Cheers! Yeah Wrathmongers are just allround awesome and act as a backup Bloodsecrator plan also. Crimson Haze basically buffs everybody except them. So yes, if Skullreapers are near them (often behind) they too will recieve additional attacks.

Bloodfury is the main selling point, you can choose what it attacks, including itself. So yeah Stonehorn, Archaon's etc. punching themselves. Heck even Skarband tries to knock himself out.

I'm really starting to want some wrathmongers for my army! One of my friends plays Stormcasts and has TONS of Retributors, and I'd love to turn those Starsoul maces right back on him! It's a 2+ to hit with one of those, and a 6 gets d3+1 mortal wounds--Mwuh hahahahaha!

Edited by Zamik
  • Like 2