AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hello! I won the best overall award at NoVa over the weekend and made an account to chat. 

The barghest fiends are on 50mm! They are awesome models. Worth the price! Puppets of war has them.  

The Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster's command ability is 16 inches in the hero phase, unlike the others.  So he can make the other 3 run and charge at +1 to each roll on turn one since I start with 3 command points! Nifty trick when paired with spending 50 points for an extra CP and one getting a 6 on the run roll with the command reroll.  

One of the Insensate Rage always hits heros on a 2+ with the king of blades relic, rerolling 1s if he charged! I send him after heros and fish for outrageous carnage procs. 

The Unfettered Fury doesn't degrade attacks or weapon skill.  His whip can drag heroes or monsters off objectives as well.  But his big deal is piling in 6 inches in an 8 inch radius.  This gives a charging Bloodthirster an 8 inch threat range!

As for summoning,  I don't generally use them for that. Most of the time I use blood tithe for out of turn movement or fighting.  A good example is losing an initiative roll, and moving a Bloodthirster 16 inches away from something that will kill him.  Like ogres in my 4th game.  

I've also played the list for a long time. You kinda know what it can  and can't handle.  Feel free to message me on FB with any more questions! Cheers!

-David

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That answers so many questions and is almost exactly the list I want to own,

What models did you bring to the tourney in the off chance any summoning (I.e  flesh hounds)?  

Can you give any kind of summary of battle reports?

Highs or lows from the Tourney?

Oh - and any kind of tactics?

Edited by Coyote

I surely can but not tonight.  I can say that I misplayed the last game and lost.  He was an excellent player and had an amazing list.  

When I do summon it's never a Bloodthirster.  Usually bloodletters.  I bring 30 with me.  

Lows were that the battle point winner didn't win a best general award.  But I can see them wanting the other scores like paint and sports to count as well.  I'd like to have seen him win more than best Death Alliance. He was a great dude. 

As far as tactics go, don't be afraid to use 3 blood tithe to gtfo of bad situations.  Haha.  And always make your opponent go first on missions like Arcane Power or Duality.  If you double turn someone with the council its over.  

Like I said feel free to add me to FB. David Fields from Kingsport Tennessee! 

I am really interested in this army as an old school Khorne guy. From your comment above you say you used the council of blood, what other battalions do you use?

By the way a british AOS podcast (Justsaying Podcast)were talking about you and Nova. I just wanted to say congrats mate and also they asked if there was anyone from the tournament that would like to talk on their podcast.

Google them at Justplay Liverpool 

I played a 2k game the other night with main goal of summoning a Bloodthirster asap, using blade of endless bloodshed and blood sacrifice for extra blood tithe. I got him down at the start of turn 4, which was a bit too late to really do anything much as i thought.

Over 4 turns i managed 12 BT - 6 from my units dieing, 1 from a unit of morghast, 4 from the blade of endless bloodshed and 1 from blood sacrifice. I reckon drip feeding blood letter reinforcements, murderlust and auto unbind are better uses of the BT.

Question about the cloak (malign sorcery that prevent ennemies to attack you if you didn't already attacked.

Can yu use it to prevent whole units to attacks ?

For example, my bloodthirster is in melee with 2 ennemy units. It's my opponent's turn. He must choose its first unit to attack. But it's only in range of my bloodthirster and he didn't attacked yet. So they can't attack it, but can't attack anyone else. So do they "waste" and loose their activation ? If yes it seems pretty damn incredible

23 minutes ago, ledha said:

For example, my bloodthirster is in melee with 2 ennemy units. It's my opponent's turn. He must choose its first unit to attack. But it's only in range of my bloodthirster and he didn't attacked yet. So they can't attack it, but can't attack anyone else. So do they "waste" and loose their activation ? If yes it seems pretty damn incredible

We've played it as they lose the option to attack, after all, its their turn and there are no targets. No idea if there has been any official word from GW though.

13 hours ago, ledha said:

Question about the cloak (malign sorcery that prevent ennemies to attack you if you didn't already attacked.

Can yu use it to prevent whole units to attacks ?

Yes. The cloak prevents you from "being chosen as the target of an attack", but it doesn't let the opponent skip their activation. If you haven't attacked yet and it's their last activation, they have to activate, pile in, do nothing, and then pass.

On 9/5/2018 at 11:16 PM, That Khorne Guy said:

Hello! I won the best overall award at NoVa over the weekend and made an account to chat. 

The barghest fiends are on 50mm! They are awesome models. Worth the price! Puppets of war has them.  

The Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster's command ability is 16 inches in the hero phase, unlike the others.  So he can make the other 3 run and charge at +1 to each roll on turn one since I start with 3 command points! Nifty trick when paired with spending 50 points for an extra CP and one getting a 6 on the run roll with the command reroll.  

One of the Insensate Rage always hits heros on a 2+ with the king of blades relic, rerolling 1s if he charged! I send him after heros and fish for outrageous carnage procs. 

The Unfettered Fury doesn't degrade attacks or weapon skill.  His whip can drag heroes or monsters off objectives as well.  But his big deal is piling in 6 inches in an 8 inch radius.  This gives a charging Bloodthirster an 8 inch threat range!

As for summoning,  I don't generally use them for that. Most of the time I use blood tithe for out of turn movement or fighting.  A good example is losing an initiative roll, and moving a Bloodthirster 16 inches away from something that will kill him.  Like ogres in my 4th game.  

I've also played the list for a long time. You kinda know what it can  and can't handle.  Feel free to message me on FB with any more questions! Cheers!

-David

Which Facebook is yours if you don't mind me asking?

I'm also curious what your parings were and what your strategy versus death is.

My thirsters have a tendency to get mortal'd out!

question..... Is max squad blood warrior worth it? In any battalion, with certain buffs, with a particular load-out?

I want to think maybe, but lately iv'e been struggling against nurgle and I'm looking for some answers that doesn't involve 30 bloodletters. Is there a mortal way to do it?

1 minute ago, Oreaper84 said:

question..... Is max squad blood warrior worth it? In any battalion, with certain buffs, with a particular load-out?

I want to think maybe, but lately iv'e been struggling against nurgle and I'm looking for some answers that doesn't involve 30 bloodletters. Is there a mortal way to do it?

Once you get past models 10 then those 32mm base sizes start to become an issue. Also bigger units leads to less Blood Tithe generation. Multiple units of 10 work well though.

If your goal is to chew through tanky Nurgle units then Blood Warriors might not be the answer, maybe Skull Reapers and other mortal wound output ... like Bloodletters :(

2 minutes ago, Galdenistal said:

Once you get past models 10 then those 32mm base sizes start to become an issue. Also bigger units leads to less Blood Tithe generation. Multiple units of 10 work well though.

If your goal is to chew through tanky Nurgle units then Blood Warriors might not be the answer, maybe Skull Reapers and other mortal wound output ... like Bloodletters :(

well my thought is with the large unit, dbbl buff them with bronze flesh and put the 3 goreglaives out front to do most of the work. That's 7 base good attacks, buffable as appropriate. also 60 wounds to get through....but 520 is a hefty cost.

Just gets me down when i look across the table and see a battleline 160 point unit be all-stars  every game. I don't want battleline to be a tax, i think there is something out there that makes mortals good......somewhere

4 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

well my thought is with the large unit, dbbl buff them with bronze flesh and put the 3 goreglaives out front to do most of the work. That's 7 base good attacks, buffable as appropriate. also 60 wounds to get through....but 520 is a hefty cost.

Just gets me down when i look across the table and see a battleline 160 point unit be all-stars  every game. I don't want battleline to be a tax, i think there is something out there that makes mortals good......somewhere

Don't try to out-Nurgle Nurgle. Flood him with attacks, as is the Khornate way brother. 

I might suggest you try breaking out my favorite combination of Meatripper 'reavers with Chaos Warshrine and Gore Pilgrims. Throw in an Aspiring Deathbringer for good measure. Apoplectic Frenzy is also helpful! 

Edited by Aspirant Snaeper
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

If the objective is to flood the Nurgle units with attacks then some “cheap as chips” Bloodreavers ... but with Reaver Blades instead of Meatcleaver Axes?

They would natively give you Reroll ing 1s, and depending on the Banner could give you Rerolling everything ...

in my experience, bloodreavers die way too fast before doing something noteworthy. Having the same base as the bloodwarriors also mean they don't make much more attacks than them.

Skullreapers are very good however, because they have both attack saturation AND mortal wound potential.

On 9/4/2018 at 4:43 PM, JetBlackSVW said:

Also I want to play with a Daemon Prince (Khorne marked and with axe) as my general in the next game. What would be the best combination of trait and artefact when I want to maximise damage? Immense Power as trait seems to be really good as the DP has two weapons, but I also would like to buff the hit rolls with something like Slaughterborn. When I take Slaughterborn I could use Deathdealer as artefact but that only applies to one weapon.

Your help is appreciated?

Immense power and the uh.. amulet that gives him an 8" reroll 1's to hit. And 1's to wound if he charges is what I run. I did 9 wounds with the axe and just gibbed my opponents SC general. Didn't even get to use my talons the whole game. Plus the amulet buffs your other units too which is great.

Edited by Mikeymajq
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys quick question. If I take a Mighty Lord of Khorne as my general and give him Mark of the Destroyer do both his axe and dog attacks get doubled as they are the same model? If not, do only kills with the axe count for keeping him from spawndom? I have always thought that because it is defined as one model in the book that the Mark would apply to all the melee profiles, but I thought I'd ask here.

No. 

“Artefacts of power have no effect on attacks made by a hero’s mount unless noted otherwise.”

The mark specifically talks about the bearers Weapons. While it would be amusing to see the MLoK holding the Flesh Hound by its legs and beating folks with it while the flesh hound bites at people ... that should be an image all forgotten...

The MLoK is accompanied by the flesh hound. He does not wield the flesh hound.

That being said, the Axe specifically calls out “bearers attacks” So ... if his Axe attacks don’t kill something make sure that Spawn model is ready. 

Though RAW the Flesh Hound is not a mount, kind of like the Moonclan Grot Warboss with Giant Squig. Especially in the latter case since it's a "weapon option" rather than a separate profile from the normal non-squig grot warboss.

They should really say "mount AND accompanying models/figures that are clearly separate entities". Other examples would be other models that aren't the pullers on chariots like the bloodletters on a blood throne, or the additional vampires on a coven throne.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Though RAW the Flesh Hound is not a mount, kind of like the Moonclan Grot Warboss with Giant Squig. Especially in the latter case since it's a "weapon option" rather than a separate profile from the normal non-squig grot warboss.

They should really say "mount AND accompanying models/figures that are clearly separate entities". Other examples would be other models that aren't the pullers on chariots like the bloodletters on a blood throne, or the additional vampires on a coven throne.

Because the book is an earlier battletome it doesn’t specifically call it out. In the newer battletomes, like Nighthaunt they do.

For example, Lady Olynder’s Banshee Handmaidens:

“COMPANIONS: Lady Olynder is accompanied by two Banshee Handmaidens, who are armed with Spectral Claws. For rules purposes, the Banshee Handmaidens are treated in the same manner as a mount.” P.72 Nighthaunt

26 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Because the book is an earlier battletome it doesn’t specifically call it out. In the newer battletomes, like Nighthaunt they do.

For example, Lady Olynder’s Banshee Handmaidens:

“COMPANIONS: Lady Olynder is accompanied by two Banshee Handmaidens, who are armed with Spectral Claws. For rules purposes, the Banshee Handmaidens are treated in the same manner as a mount.” P.72 Nighthaunt

So what I'm hearing is that even though its not technically worded so it doesnt work I should play it that way in preparation for the inevitable FAQ? Also if I choose to make doggo attacks first and everything is dead after that I dont turn spawn because the bearer made no attacks?

On 9/7/2018 at 10:22 AM, TheOtherJosh said:

If the objective is to flood the Nurgle units with attacks then some “cheap as chips” Bloodreavers ... but with Reaver Blades instead of Meatcleaver Axes?

They would natively give you Reroll ing 1s, and depending on the Banner could give you Rerolling everything ...

The idea is that the Meatripper Axes would either be getting Re-rolls of 1 to hit and to wound or re-rolling everything to hit from the Warshrine and then getting whipped by the Bloodstoker. Give the Warshrine a Bronzed Flesh prayer and while I wouldn't call the 'reavers tanks, having a 5+/6+ is an improvement over a base 6+/-.

+1 Attack from the Gore Pilgrims, +1 Attack from the Warshrine's totem and then another +1 from an Aspiring Deathbringer or Wrathmongers (or +2 from both) turns the Bloodreavers into proper glass cannons. It's as slow as the actual Deathstar, though. 

Just an idea, though. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Darksteve said:

So what I'm hearing is that even though its not technically worded so it doesnt work I should play it that way in preparation for the inevitable FAQ? Also if I choose to make doggo attacks first and everything is dead after that I dont turn spawn because the bearer made no attacks?

You've got to ask yourself are people frequently asking questions about the hound? Or are they using common sense and the precedent set in other FAQs?

Its a single model, its attacks are simultaneous. You would roll all attacks, and then total up the damage done. It's then up to your opponent to roll his saves.