AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

31 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

This.... For a long time i never rated my blood warriors. But recently in an escalation league they have routinely been the MVP's of each game. The thing to remember is that on their own they are pretty decent, but they are a template for any buff a mortal unit can put out. And with each buff they get exponentially better. I also like how they often force your opponents combat priority bc getting 2 rounds of attacks after they start dying is not something most opponents will let slide. They work particularly well in a single line screen with the wrathmongers. 

I love my blood warriors - in my last game I got 10 plus the aspiring deathbringer in range on turn 4 with lots of command points, they pumped out 7-9 attacks a model if i recall

21 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

I love my blood warriors - in my last game I got 10 plus the aspiring deathbringer in range on turn 4 with lots of command points, they pumped out 7-9 attacks a model if i recall

Does the command ability of the Aspiring Deathbringer still stacks? I heard that isn't the case anymore.

So i have been thinking lately about the state of Khorne in 2.0 and i see in my meta a few new players getting super frustrated with running Khorne. With the facts stacked that it is an older book, has no magic, and little to know shooting, most player equate that to mean we are a YOLO forward and charge army and consequently are getting creamed by more competitive list/books. I'll admit for a while i was in a similar boat unitl it dawned on me something that i had never thought before...

KHORNE IS A FINESSE ARMY. As weird and counter intuitive as that seems, every time i evaluate the army as a whole it keeps circling back to this point. We dont have the overwhelming range of Tzeench or KO, We don't have the resilient punch of Ironjawz, we dont have the speed and precision of Daughters or Idoneth....

So what do we have? Reliable and flexible units. Blood warriors wont oneshot a horde....but they will likely survive and chop away over a turn or 2. Skullcrushers wont bomb into a backfield and character snipe like eels can, but they hit and stick where we need them. Our chaff isn't the best in the game, but its cheap enough for its punch that we can reliably send it out to do its job, be that objective capturing or gumming things up. We aren't a red tide of murder that rampages across the board, and we have to work for the combos that make us hit hard or defend well. Im thinking that there may be a benefit to illustrate this in a beginner tactica giving listed synergies, deployment styles, and unit marching formations, as these three concepts we the way i finally "turned a corner" with the boys in red. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oreaper84 said:

Im thinking that there may be a benefit to illustrate this in a beginner tactica giving listed synergies, deployment styles, and unit marching formations, as these three concepts we the way i finally "turned a corner" with the boys in red. 

Please do! :)

How do you deal with Places of Arcance Power - heros with artefacts and wizards can score.

Whats the best tactic for this? I played Death last night and struggled to score victory points due to my lack of scoring units. I was 5-1 down by turn 3, had managed to deny 1 objective and had claimed one and opponent had 1. Best I could have hoped for was a draw and then only if everything went for me.

Edited by Praecautus

5 hours ago, Praecautus said:

How do you deal with Places of Arcance Power - heros with artefacts and wizards can score.

Whats the best tactic for this? I played Death last night and struggled to score victory points due to my lack of scoring units. I was 5-1 down by turn 3, had managed to deny 1 objective and had claimed one and opponent had 1. Best I could have hoped for was a draw and then only if everything went for me.

Best way to win is not to play BoK or KO, oh wait...

played this the other day and lost, knew it would be a healthy challenge. I tried to claim middle, contest left and deny right. It's pretty tough on BoK, in the end I tabled my opponent but by then he had stacked up the VPs.

5 hours ago, Praecautus said:

I agree with @MOMUS that this scenario is always a healthy challenge. We are going to typically have 1-2 scoring models so i think early capping and character assassination is going to be the key here. If you can take one of their wizards or artifact holders, do it...don't hesitate. We don't really have "tanky" models for this. But i usually run MLoK with brazen rune. Combine this with cover and/or bronzed flesh and that can go a long way to hold it. Screens become doubly important here so surrounding with reavers/marauders is a must. Also if you have a WoK Thirster this is an ideal scenario for him to go do what he does....hunt characters!

• Like 1

Hi all, I've recently been considering allying a filthy, unfluffy wizard into my Khorne list in order to put Cogs onto the fields for better movement and charging (don't mind if my opponent gets it as well, as Khorne cares not from where the blood flows). Maybe also the endless spell that allows an extra unbind and punishes wizards by exploding when it's absorbed enough spell energy. What's it called, the Maelstrom?

I wouldn't mind having a second opinion on my choice though - Festus the Leechlord.

My thoughts here are that after he puts down his Cogs he can be punished by nearby Slaughterpriests using Blood Sacrifice on him, then he can heal himself using his "Delightful brews, splendid restorative" ability for d3 and another 1 automatically at the start of my next hero phase allowing for a constant flow of Blood Tithe points. His spell "curse of the leper" can also be used to permanently reduce saves on enemy units allowing my Khorne boys the ability to better kill their opponents.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Grendel said:

How about Sayl The Faithless?
He might not support Khorne, but he doesn't support the other gods either!

And teleporting units could add an extra level of maneuverability.

Sayl is a 200 Point Unit that only synergizes with units that have the Slaves to Darkness keyword for his teleport.

@Ratzinkaiser If you’re concerned about fluff and Khorne and Wizards, consider reading The Black rift Of Klaxxus ... there are multiple fluff sources and there are multiple scenarios where Sorcerers have been both used by Khorne Warlords, and used Khorne Warbands to their own ends.

At the end of the day ... is that Sorcerer or Sorcerers in that army the true General pulling the strings ... or on the end of a very short leash by a Khorne Warhorde Leader ... or perhaps an ally of convenience?

I've always been partial to Be'lakor, though he is expensive. He does contribute quite a bit, even as an ally. He's tanky with 8 wounds, ignores rend and heals D3 wounds when units within 10" flee. He's nasty in combat with that sword of his, and he can cast two and unbind two spells a turn. 

Rather than buffing your army, though, he de-buffs your opponents. On top of all that, he has fly with his 12" move.

As for fluff, you could say he's manipulating the Bloodthirsty Khorne Lord easily given his gore-induced rage. Showing him what he wants to see and lurking around the battlefield unbeknownst to the Khorne Army.

Edited by Aspirant Snaeper

21 hours ago, Ratzinkaiser said:

I thought Sayl's rules were changed to only work on Slaves to Darkness? I suppose I could use him to teleport my Warshrine into advantageous positions :)

These days I can totally picture Sayl skulking in a the corner of a tavern crying into a pint while muttering about how he use to be a big deal in this realm.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

These days I can totally picture Sayl skulking in a the corner of a tavern crying into a pint while muttering about how he use to be a big deal in this realm.

I suppose you could say the changing of the keyword his spell applies to really took the wind out of his Sayls ;)

• Haha 2

So I don't think they're going to re-write the Battletome for Wrath and Rapture, thus I expect we'll see the rumored plastic Hounds and maybe a plastic Herald for the Khorne models? With Beasts, Slaanesh and Darkoath/StD giving Chaos a lot of love in the coming months, squeezing in a new BoK Battletome would be unlikely (although very, very welcome!) 

I found an interesting combo in this faction.

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster under Bloodsecrator will get seven attacks. We give to Wrath the Sword of Judjement artefact, which give d6 mortal wounds for each roll of 6+. Two priests will buff him +2 to hit and then we put some daemon hero with crimson crown (a second batallion requied, but Gore piligrims will do perfectly). In the end we can get 7 attack, which in 4+ will do D6 mortal wound and generate another attack. It is under 14D6 mortal wounds. And Wrath of Khorne is rerolling hit rolls against heroes. But the case is that Nagash is probably going to kill him by returning mortal wounds on 6'. Or severely damage him. But it is fine. 

On 9/2/2018 at 3:21 AM, Aspirant Snaeper said:

So I don't think they're going to re-write the Battletome for Wrath and Rapture, thus I expect we'll see the rumored plastic Hounds and maybe a plastic Herald for the Khorne models? With Beasts, Slaanesh and Darkoath/StD giving Chaos a lot of love in the coming months, squeezing in a new BoK Battletome would be unlikely (although very, very welcome!) 

Would be nice to get a new hero character like how Nurgle got one with Blightwar.

48 minutes ago, 123lac said:

Would be nice to get a new hero character like how Nurgle got one with Blightwar.

Yes, but they also got a few other new things and a whole new Battletome. 

I don't see them making a whole new Blades of Khorne book if all they're adding is a hero. Khorne is also not exactly hurting for Hero's either. 

6 hours ago, Revan123 said:

I found an interesting combo in this faction.

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster under Bloodsecrator will get seven attacks. We give to Wrath the Sword of Judjement artefact, which give d6 mortal wounds for each roll of 6+. Two priests will buff him +2 to hit and then we put some daemon hero with crimson crown (a second batallion requied, but Gore piligrims will do perfectly). In the end we can get 7 attack, which in 4+ will do D6 mortal wound and generate another attack. It is under 14D6 mortal wounds. And Wrath of Khorne is rerolling hit rolls against heroes. But the case is that Nagash is probably going to kill him by returning mortal wounds on 6'. Or severely damage him. But it is fine. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news- crimson crown isnt a 6+. Its worded as a 6.

So stacking +1 to hit doesnt make it a 4+. It would just roll of a 4 for the extra attack. 

There are a couple of other items in the BoK book like this too.

They where previously faq'd as being a being synonymous with a  6+. Thats is no longer in the most recent faq for aos2.

I suspect if it does reappear (given how things are worded in the newer battletomes) it will be a natural 6 before modifiers.

Sad times.

However, if it ever does become a 6+ again what about:

Gorepilgrims, WoK BT (crimson crown) BIR (ghyrstrike +1 hit +1 wound). 

You could yolo the BIR with a run + charge from the WoKs command ability. Run the WoK to keep crimson crown in range. 

Assuming the bloodthirster is in range of your banner and all the 3 slaughter priests make a successful prayer your BIR would be:

5 attacks, hitting on 2s (rr 1s because you charged that turn)

A 2+ to hit gives you an extra attack

So max 10 hits maybe get 8/9 if the dice dont hate you. all wounding on 2s, but each magic 5+ you get does an explosion of 3 mortals to each unit in an 8" bubble. Outrageous carnage indeed!

3 hours ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news- crimson crown isnt a 6+. Its worded as a 6.

So stacking +1 to hit doesnt make it a 4+. It would just roll of a 4 for the extra attack. 

There are a couple of other items in the BoK book like this too.

They where previously faq'd as being a being synonymous with a  6+. Thats is no longer in the most recent faq for aos2.

I suspect if it does reappear (given how things are worded in the newer battletomes) it will be a natural 6 before modifiers.

Sad times.

However, if it ever does become a 6+ again what about:

Gorepilgrims, WoK BT (crimson crown) BIR (ghyrstrike +1 hit +1 wound). 

You could yolo the BIR with a run + charge from the WoKs command ability. Run the WoK to keep crimson crown in range. 

Assuming the bloodthirster is in range of your banner and all the 3 slaughter priests make a successful prayer your BIR would be:

5 attacks, hitting on 2s (rr 1s because you charged that turn)

A 2+ to hit gives you an extra attack

So max 10 hits maybe get 8/9 if the dice dont hate you. all wounding on 2s, but each magic 5+ you get does an explosion of 3 mortals to each unit in an 8" bubble. Outrageous carnage indeed!

This has been FAQd. The crown and any other items generate bonuses as in they were worded "6 or more". Think it was in the 2017 FAQ?

• Like 1