AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Grendel said:

Does anyone use Chosen (with Mark of Khorne)? They seem to compare nicely with Skullreapers. 

30pts cheaper per 5, same stats but one less wound per model. 

Compared to the Skullreaper's Daemonblades, the Chosen Greataxe comes with +1 to hit and -1 Rend.  Skullreapers do have a better method of generating Mortals, as they're in addition rather than instead of damage caused. 

The difference is abilities (and 1/3 longer staying power). And the Chosen Reroll ability only gives benefits to other Slaves to Darkness units...

So, 2 wounds instead of 3, no Reroll Of 1s vs Reroll Of 1s. No “Last attack on death” vs “Last attack on death”, Mortal Wounds “instead of regular damage” vs mortal wounds “in addition to regular damage”. No ability to gain rerolls for failed wounds and hit rolls, able to gain rerolls for failed wounds and hit rolls.

And (most importantly) the Chosen kit is Finecast. (Boooooooo...) vs Plastic for the Skullreapers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a game yesterday against a Sylvaneth list that was built around a bravery bomb. 

Ive noticed some things. He decided to fight a two front war, which hurt us both. 

I gave him the first turn and so he teleported a Drycha and about 15 revenants to a pair of wild woods he had summoned on my left flank. Apparently the list was built around a bravery bomb. 

He then put a single tree Lord on the right and a pack of dryads in the very center 30 or 20 I believe. In his back field he had Kirnoth Hunters with bows (they hurt) and a branch wych. 

The way he attacked me caused me to break “formation” and totally removed some buffs from my Skulltake Battalion. 

I actually took a Skullgrinder who got his shot of glory in but then, due to the map and everything, was irrelevant along with half my army past the first turn. 

Long story short at the end of my 2nd turn I had 10 blood tithe points (really only 8 because cap) and 9 out of 10 were his wiped units, only during his second turn did he completely wipe out one of Skullreapers units. He was gunning for them all game but I still managed to demolish his army despite having a totally broken formation and nearly useless Battalion, being outside the range of Bloodsecrator almost all game, and various other things that essentially broke my synergy down. 

Turn 1 a Khorgorath almost 1 shot Drycha leaving her with 2 health and the sheer power of Skullreapers being amazing carried me. 

I summoned a Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage at the end of my 2nd turn movement phase, miraculously got my charge no re-rolls and 1 shot his super ancient tree lord of doom who ignored rend of 1, had a +2 save and re-rolled 1’s. 

It was at this point he called it game. 

I really love the Skulltake Battalion but I’ve got to stick together and keep my Skullgrinder with everyone for that 2 wound rolls buff which I never got to use but had turn 1 where he 1 shot the tree lord himself. 

The Bloodsecrator was nearly useless all game and it’s entirely possible I may reconfigure my list entirely to no go with one... the extra attack was missed though as well as battleshock immunity. 

What was also missed was re-rolling blessings and prayer because boy howdy did my 2 Slaughterpriests whiff a lot! 

49 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

He then put a single tree Lord on the right and a pack of dryads in the very center 30 or 20 I believe. In his back field he had Kirnoth Hunters with bows (they hurt) and a branch wych. 

Was your opponent playing with the updated rules for Sylvaneth Wyldwoods?

Where if a unit is more than 1” in from the edge, or their shooting attack is from a model more than 1” away from their opponent on a Sylvaneth Wyldwood base that they have blocked LoS? (As long as neither unit has the FLY keyword.) I believe that technically means that second rank Kurnoth Hunters can’t shoot into a combat as they don’t have LoS.

Edited by TheOtherJosh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Was your opponent playing with the updated rules for Sylvaneth Wyldwoods?

Where if a unit is more than 1” in from the edge, or their shooting attack is from a model more than 1” away from their opponent on a Sylvaneth Wyldwood base that they have blocked LoS? (As long as neither unit has the FLY keyword.) I believe that technically means that second rank Kurnoth Hunters can’t shoot into a combat as they don’t have LoS.

No, I didn’t read their errata or anything and I don’t know their rules ? Well anyway I won but playing this particular fellow is why I have PTSD against shooting armies. 

• Like 1

In games like that, you might sometimes consider not dropping the banner turn 1 and instead running the secrator into a more forward position before dropping the banner turn 2. Depends entirely on your opponents magic capabilities and shooting range but in a melee game that gets spread out it sometimes pay to wait a turn in order to position him better. Otherwise the way you are playing might make sense to drop him entirely. If its mobility you like then a bloodstoker's buff might be more important to your play style. 

2 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

In games like that, you might sometimes consider not dropping the banner turn 1 and instead running the secrator into a more forward position before dropping the banner turn 2. Depends entirely on your opponents magic capabilities and shooting range but in a melee game that gets spread out it sometimes pay to wait a turn in order to position him better. Otherwise the way you are playing might make sense to drop him entirely. If its mobility you like then a bloodstoker's buff might be more important to your play style. 

Well my list for now looks like this:

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: The Crimson Plate
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
Skullgrinder (80)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne
- Artefact: Gorecleaver

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
1 x Khorgoraths (90)
1 x Khorgoraths (90)

Battalions
Skulltake (190)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146

I've considered getting an Exalted Deathbringer, which using his command ability in addition to banners and the Skullgrinder can bring most of my units up to 10 bravery, which seems pretty good. On the other hand, an Aspiring Deathbringer could bring more attacks to the table. Then there's a second Bloodstoker, like you said, one is mandatory for the battalion. If I want to be really greedy I could drop a priest and get both, but it seems impractical for various reasons. 1) Slaughterpriests apparently suck outside of Gore Pilgrims so it's hard enough getting a Killing Frenzy to bring my Skullreapers from 4+ hit to 3+, and in addition at the very least for charging units my LoKoJ is mandatory so that eats a CP right away, and it'd take 2 CP to both boost bravery and boost attacks.

18" range isn't much, and it's 12" for the Bloodreavers to really shine, which keeps everything really close knit. I prefer to play more aggressively, rather than waiting for my enemy to come to me. This is for a few reasons: 1) most people don't want to straight up brawl with Khorne because we're the best at it, except maybe Ironjawz who don't care. 2) The longer I expose myself the more guys I am losing to shooting without doing anything in return and 3) I just enjoy slaughtering models in CQC, and I'm a little impatient :P

I'm always a fan of say, Barbarians in D&D, the Warrior was my main in WoW (Fury Warrior) for charge and huge damage, I love aggro red decks in magic, etc. The patient, "Wait for them to come into my safety zone bubble" strategy usually...never works for me. I like to rush forward in a red tide of blades and mayhem. I like big axes and big damage (Which is my Insensate Rage is my waifu and Skullreapers are my prized units alongside Khorgoraths, which naturally leads me to always having them in every list, and the Skulltake amplifies them to 11).

So here's the Khorne list that placed 10th Overall at Blackout. Not sure I'm surprised. 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne - Mortal Realm: Ghur

LEADERS

• Skullmaster, Herald of Khorne (100) - General - Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm
  • Skarr Bloodwrath (80)
  • Bloodsecrator (140) - Artefact : The Brazen Rune

UNITS

• 30 x Bloodletters (320) - Gore Drenched Icon
  • 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

BATTALIONS

• Murderhost (220)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

Flying around the board mulching things to a pulp. Fleshhounds denying magic and serving as fast chaff.. Nice to see Skarr Bloodwrath included, as well. 

Here's the 20th Overall Khorne list:

Spoiler

LEADERS

• Mighty Lord Of Khorne (120) - General
  • Skullgrinder (80)
  • Bloodsecrator (140)
  • Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh
  • Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
  • Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Blood Sacrifice

UNITS

• 10 x Blood Warriors (200) -Goreaxes
  • 10 x Blood Warriors (200) -Goreaxe & Gorefist
  • 5 x Wrathmongers (180)
  • 5 x Wrathmongers (180)
  • 5 x Blood Warriors (100) -Goreaxe & Gorefist
  • 10 x Bloodreavers (70) -Meatripper Axes

BATTALIONS

• Bloodforged (160)
  • Gore Pilgrims (200)

Sadly, information on Artefacts and Traits were not available as it was a hand written list. Double Battalions is certainly an interesting choice, although it doesn't appear that the list really suffers as a result. 25x Blood Warriors are hard to move and Wrathmongers can handle some of the bigger threats while boosting other units (especially if they use the Meatripper 'reavers as screens). 

Blades of Khorne 27th Overall

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne - Mortal Realm: Aqshy

LEADERS

• Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (320) - General - Command Trait : Unrivalled Battelust - Artefact : Ignax's Scales
  • Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100) - Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
  • Bloodstoker (80)
  • Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch A FILTHY DECEITFUL WIZARD (180) - Allies

UNITS

• 10 x Bloodreavers (70) -Reaver Blades

BATTALIONS

• Gore Pilgrims (200)

There are some creative solutions here with adding in the Gaunt Summoner. I like the balance between 'reaver chaff, bodies of Bloodletters and a few Blood Warriors. 

Blackout 35th Overall and my personal favorite!

Spoiler

LEADERS

• Bloodsecrator (140) - General - Command Trait : Berzerker Lord - Artefact: ??? (Maybe Brazen Rune?)
  • Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : ???
  • Bloodstoker (80) - Artefact : Talisman of Burning Blood
  • Slaughterpriest (100) - Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm - Blood Blessing : ???

UNITS

• 5 x Blood Warriors (100) - ???
  • 40 x Bloodreavers (240) - ???
  • 10 x Bloodreavers (70) - ??? 
  • 1 x Chaos Warshrine (160) - Blood Blessing : ??? 

BATTALIONS

• Gore Pilgrims (200)
  • Dark Feast (200)

I've always been a fan of Gore Pilgrims x Dark Feast, but with the cost of both being so high now, I figured it'd be a lost cause to try it. All those Slaughterpriests and the Warshrine, with loads of bodies to tap for what I assume is a lot of Blood Sacrifice prayers would be merciless. With all of the Nagash lists that were out there, though, it's not surprising to me that this wouldn't have done better. It's a shame there wasn't more detail on his load outs and Prayers. 

Edited by Aspirant Snaeper
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 4:35 PM, TheAdequateWargamer said:

toying with this idea- not 100% sold

Quite like the +2 damage combo from immense power + death dealer. you just have to pick your charge and make sure you do the hitting first.

You can defo engineer doppleganger cloak so you wont get attacked in combat, but doesnt help vs magic or shooting and your damage output isnt as high. Good for camping an objective perhaps.

Theres another item in MS that has ignore all rend modifiers that might be worth a look. Keeps you on a 4+. Maybe get you 3 rounds vs Nagash.

All I can say is, try it. The doppleganger cloak is super strong.

8 hours ago, ledha said:

Put the Gorecleaver on the Mighty Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut, this item is MADE for him

I usually do, but it also worked amazingly on the Skullgrinder. Basically I just tried to give him as many attacks and chances for attacks to go through as possible and rip and tear for the bonus wound rolls. 

It definitely worked, but then he was irrelevant on the other side of the board by himself. He did one shot the hero though :) 

Hey all

Planning a 1k Khorne army, probably with Slaughter Priests and the Gore battalion if I can squeeze it in.

My question is, if I were rocking a 1k list, what models would you recommend I buy for summons? Naturally everyone will suggest "Everything!", but that really isn't feasible given my budget :P hehe So what would you recommend?

@Ravinsild your list is really taking shape now. With all the Warriors/Repars/Khorgoraths available, the unit of Reavers should hang back and screen the Bloodsecrator as they wont do jack in combat (as you well know). Would be great to see another Stoker in the list however you probably need both priests to ensure at least one Killing Frenzy and one blood boil goes off each turn .

• Like 1

Played a 2000 point game against Death on the wknd. Was quite unique as I must have come across the only Death player in the world who has an issue with named/special characters! No Nagash, no Arkhan, none of the big bads. Very lucky for me as we randomly generated Places of Arcane Power as our battle plan. For those who don't know, thats the scenario where objectives can only be taken by a WIZARD or a Hero with an ARTIFACT. I'm not doing a full battle report this time however did have some thoughts after playing probably the toughest battle plan for a Khorne army.

He brought a Vampire Lord (on foot), 4 x Necromancers, 3 x Units of 40 Skeletons, a Corpse Cart and a Terrorgheist. 

I ran what is fast becoming my regular list and the same one I used in my most recent battle report; http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/18800-battle-report_khorne-vs-tzeentch-2000-points/?do=findComment&comment=235791

Essentially its Gore Pilgrims (all 3 Priests) with a Bloodstoker and Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster to round out the Heroes, 30 Bloodletters, 5 x Flesh hounds, 5 x Wrathmongers & a Khorgi.

Some thoughts for the game;

• Do not despair when a Battle Plan doesnt suit you as there is always a way, however small. Sure I had no Wizards and only one Hero with an artifact for claiming 3 objectives however if I could take out his heroes I had a chance;
  • Patience is key. I didn't score my first victory point until my 3rd turn but due to killing his heroes/limiting his movement I was only down by 4 points at this stage;
  • As with any game against Death, focus on their heroes and the rest will crumble. Granted this was made easier by my opponent taking 5 squishy heroes;
  • Blood Boil is epic. I've never had it come off so regularly and so powerfully in a game before but when it does, wow!I made sure to move the priests forward just enough to stay within 8" of the bloodsecrator and 16" away from two of the objectives. When his heroes approached to claim them I just bloodboiled them to bits and it was glorious;
  • Magic was fairly evenly balanced. He had no endless spells fortunately and was probably successful with nearly half of his attempted spells. I always made sure to stop the most damaging spells such as Vanhel's Dance Macabre, either with bloodtithe points or sacrificing the Brazen Rune;
  • In hindsight, I should have switched the brazen rune from my bloodsecrator to a more mobile hero like the Bloodstoker for another objective claiming option. That being said, you can't move artifacts around like that in a tournament so I figured I would test myself to get a result out of the game with my list as is. Definitely something to think about if I take this list to a tournament where this battle plan is being used;
  • I am still salty that we have to choose summoning or abilities when it comes to bloodtithe however even in its current form it still kept me in the game and so all is not bad. As the thirster was my only Hero capable of claiming objectives I had to keep him alive. Therefore the tactic was to charge him in and do max damage (killed the Terrorgheist in a single swing) and then use the Murderlust bloodtithe ability in my opponent's phase to move him back to safety and ready to charge in again come my turn.  I pulled this manouver off twice which kept me in the game and meant that turn 4 I was in position to charge and kill his last hero before he could claim an objective and get out to an unassailable lead. However I needed to sit on the last objective to score 2 points in my last turn to tie up the victory points and there was a large unit of skeletons nearby who were capable of bringing him down. I summoned in a skull cannon (anything would have done but the cannon seemed fun) and it miraculously made its charge which meant I pinned the nearby unit of skeletons for their last turn, leaving the thirster free to score the victory points I needed to tie the score and get the minor victory on kill points (he was all but tabled whereas 3/4 of my army was still alive). Summoning is fun and all and without the cannon to pin the skeletons I was a good chance of losing however it was the earlier use of bloodtithe abilities that kept me in the game to be in a position to win. 

32 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Played a 2000 point game against Death on the wknd. Was quite unique as I must have come across the only Death player in the world who has an issue with named/special characters! No Nagash, no Arkhan, none of the big bads. Very lucky for me as we randomly generated Places of Arcane Power as our battle plan. For those who don't know, thats the scenario where objectives can only be taken by a WIZARD or a Hero with an ARTIFACT. I'm not doing a full battle report this time however did have some thoughts after playing probably the toughest battle plan for a Khorne army.

He brought a Vampire Lord (on foot), 4 x Necromancers, 3 x Units of 40 Skeletons, a Corpse Cart and a Terrorgheist. 

I ran what is fast becoming my regular list and the same one I used in my most recent battle report; http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/18800-battle-report_khorne-vs-tzeentch-2000-points/?do=findComment&comment=235791

Essentially its Gore Pilgrims (all 3 Priests) with a Bloodstoker and Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster to round out the Heroes, 30 Bloodletters, 5 x Flesh hounds, 5 x Wrathmongers & a Khorgi.

Some thoughts for the game;

• Do not despair when a Battle Plan doesnt suit you as there is always a way, however small. Sure I had no Wizards and only one Hero with an artifact for claiming 3 objectives however if I could take out his heroes I had a chance;
  • Patience is key. I didn't score my first victory point until my 3rd turn but due to killing his heroes/limiting his movement I was only down by 4 points at this stage;
  • As with any game against Death, focus on their heroes and the rest will crumble. Granted this was made easier by my opponent taking 5 squishy heroes;
  • Blood Boil is epic. I've never had it come off so regularly and so powerfully in a game before but when it does, wow!I made sure to move the priests forward just enough to stay within 8" of the bloodsecrator and 16" away from two of the objectives. When his heroes approached to claim them I just bloodboiled them to bits and it was glorious;
  • Magic was fairly evenly balanced. He had no endless spells fortunately and was probably successful with nearly half of his attempted spells. I always made sure to stop the most damaging spells such as Vanhel's Dance Macabre, either with bloodtithe points or sacrificing the Brazen Rune;
  • In hindsight, I should have switched the brazen rune from my bloodsecrator to a more mobile hero like the Bloodstoker for another objective claiming option. That being said, you can't move artifacts around like that in a tournament so I figured I would test myself to get a result out of the game with my list as is. Definitely something to think about if I take this list to a tournament where this battle plan is being used;
  • I am still salty that we have to choose summoning or abilities when it comes to bloodtithe however even in its current form it still kept me in the game and so all is not bad. As the thirster was my only Hero capable of claiming objectives I had to keep him alive. Therefore the tactic was to charge him in and do max damage (killed the Terrorgheist in a single swing) and then use the Murderlust bloodtithe ability in my opponent's phase to move him back to safety and ready to charge in again come my turn.  I pulled this manouver off twice which kept me in the game and meant that turn 4 I was in position to charge and kill his last hero before he could claim an objective and get out to an unassailable lead. However I needed to sit on the last objective to score 2 points in my last turn to tie up the victory points and there was a large unit of skeletons nearby who were capable of bringing him down. I summoned in a skull cannon (anything would have done but the cannon seemed fun) and it miraculously made its charge which meant I pinned the nearby unit of skeletons for their last turn, leaving the thirster free to score the victory points I needed to tie the score and get the minor victory on kill points (he was all but tabled whereas 3/4 of my army was still alive). Summoning is fun and all and without the cannon to pin the skeletons I was a good chance of losing however it was the earlier use of bloodtithe abilities that kept me in the game to be in a position to win. 

That’s a brilliant use of Murderlust that would never have occurred to me. The way I would play such a list is to have a priest with Resanguination (because it can be useful for anyone with multiwounds) and Crimson Rain. 

I like your way though, it totally makes sense, and is also cheaper, and also saves a prayer for something else. I guess I’m just a little obsessed with using out of the box or rarely seen options because I want to find a hidden gem or something haha.

Resangunation would certainly have been useful for keeping the thirster alive however that would have needed a last minute change to my list and I wanted to test the list I have in unfavourable scenarios. I've used Crimson Rain in other games and was tempted to here as well but just didnt think I would get enough out of it for the 4 bloodtithe that it costs. I think your healing strategy is viable however I think you need to double down on it to be successful (i.e. at least 2 x priests with Resanguination plus liberal use of Crimson Rain). A khorne list with exclusively multi wound models (Flesh hounds for battleline) that focused on healing in this way would be pretty interesting. 

2 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Resangunation would certainly have been useful for keeping the thirster alive however that would have needed a last minute change to my list and I wanted to test the list I have in unfavourable scenarios. I've used Crimson Rain in other games and was tempted to here as well but just didnt think I would get enough out of it for the 4 bloodtithe that it costs. I think your healing strategy is viable however I think you need to double down on it to be successful (i.e. at least 2 x priests with Resanguination plus liberal use of Crimson Rain). A khorne list with exclusively multi wound models (Flesh hounds for battleline) that focused on healing in this way would be pretty interesting. 

I don't own any Flesh hounds, so I came up with this instead. I could have tried it with Gore Pilgrims, but literally Bloodreavers and Blood Warriors are mandatory. I could also try it out with Brass Stampede. I always take IR Bloodthirster just because I like how it looks, but really it doesn't matter. Also I built my 1 that way aside from Skarbrand. I could just drop him altogether however and take...something else. IDK what. It would free up some points for a second Khorgorath though and some other hero (Skullgrinder..?) I like the idea of just getting all the buffs rolling on the Skulltake, Skullgrinder giving hit rolls of 4+ two wound rolls, pick the highest, hits of 6+ are mortal wounds, wound rolls of 6+ are double damage, now we're rerolling all failed hits and failed wounds, etc... Keeping a tight little turbo buffed deathball rolling around the field destroying anything it comes in contact with through sheer ferocity.

On Skullreapers, on the charge, assuming they somehow got some skulls already let's say 10, 1 CP gives +1 to wound rolls, they've got +1 to hit (hopefully) from the Slaughterpriests, they're re-rolling all failed hit and wound rolls, they're doing mortal on 5? 6+'s, they're rolling 2 wound dice, they're doing double damage on 6's hitting on 3's wounding on 2's, that's the big time boys. Bloodstoke the Khorgorath and get that bad boy up in there right alongside them. I've got multiple threats, you can't afford to ignore my Khorgorath's or my Skullreapers, but you can't afford to ignore my Bloodthirster and you can't ignore my Mighty Skullcrushers rushing in to trample your face and pin your down. Anvil & Hammer baby. Smash in and lock them down with Mighty Skullcrushers then swing with the hammer that is the Bloodthirster or deathball. That's definitely my style, hit hard, fast and be aggressive as all get out. No time to relax or breath, pressure on at all times.

Leaders
Bloodthirster Of Insensate Rage (260)
- Artefact: Harvester of Skulls
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General
- Trait: Violent Urgency
- Artefact: Gorecleaver
Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives
- Bloodglaives

Units
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
1 x Khorgoraths (90)
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers

Battalions
Skulltake (190)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143

• Like 1

I like it! Could be a really powerful and unexpectedly resilient list. Small unit sizes mean battleshock shouldn't be a drama. No bonus attack from the secrator but this list is going to be out of range quickly anyway. Definitely keep the Bloodthirster. It may struggle against a strong magic army however you wont know until you play a few games.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I like it! Could be a really powerful and unexpectedly resilient list. Small unit sizes mean battleshock shouldn't be a drama. No bonus attack from the secrator but this list is going to be out of range quickly anyway. Definitely keep the Bloodthirster. It may struggle against a strong magic army however you wont know until you play a few games.

This is definitely a different kind of list, but it all includes my favorite units and if it is somehow competitive, or able to do really well I will be so excited.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:23 AM, MOMUS said:

Darren Watson is doing quite well at Pompey pillage with the below list, mainly revolves around stacking buffs on the death bringer for multiple D6 mortal wound outputting the sword of judgement

*gore pilgrims also on the list 

image.jpeg

On 8/13/2018 at 6:34 AM, Aspirant Snaeper said:

So here's the Khorne list that placed 10th Overall at Blackout. Not sure I'm surprised. 

Reveal hidden contents

LEADERS

• Skullmaster, Herald of Khorne (100) - General - Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm
  • Skarr Bloodwrath (80)

UNITS

• 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
  • 5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

BATTALIONS

• Murderhost (220)

Flying around the board mulching things to a pulp. Fleshhounds denying magic and serving as fast chaff.. Nice to see Skarr Bloodwrath included, as well. 

Here's the 20th Overall Khorne list:

Reveal hidden contents

LEADERS

• Mighty Lord Of Khorne (120) - General
  • Skullgrinder (80)
  • Bloodsecrator (140)
  • Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy

UNITS

• 10 x Blood Warriors (200) -Goreaxes
  • 10 x Blood Warriors (200) -Goreaxe & Gorefist
  • 5 x Wrathmongers (180)
  • 5 x Wrathmongers (180)

BATTALIONS

• Bloodforged (160)
  • Gore Pilgrims (200)

Sadly, information on Artefacts and Traits were not available as it was a hand written list. Double Battalions is certainly an interesting choice, although it doesn't appear that the list really suffers as a result. 25x Blood Warriors are hard to move and Wrathmongers can handle some of the bigger threats while boosting other units (especially if they use the Meatripper 'reavers as screens). 

Blades of Khorne 27th Overall

Reveal hidden contents

Allegiance: Khorne - Mortal Realm: Aqshy

LEADERS

• Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (320) - General - Command Trait : Unrivalled Battelust - Artefact : Ignax's Scales
  • Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100) - Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
  • Bloodstoker (80)
  • Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch A FILTHY DECEITFUL WIZARD (180) - Allies

UNITS

BATTALIONS

• Gore Pilgrims (200)

There are some creative solutions here with adding in the Gaunt Summoner. I like the balance between 'reaver chaff, bodies of Bloodletters and a few Blood Warriors. 

Blackout 35th Overall and my personal favorite!

Reveal hidden contents

LEADERS

• Bloodsecrator (140) - General - Command Trait : Berzerker Lord - Artefact: ??? (Maybe Brazen Rune?)
  • Bloodstoker (80) - Artefact : Talisman of Burning Blood
  • Slaughterpriest (100) - Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm - Blood Blessing : ???

UNITS

• 1 x Chaos Warshrine (160) - Blood Blessing : ??? 

BATTALIONS

• Gore Pilgrims (200)
  • Dark Feast (200)

I've always been a fan of Gore Pilgrims x Dark Feast, but with the cost of both being so high now, I figured it'd be a lost cause to try it. All those Slaughterpriests and the Warshrine, with loads of bodies to tap for what I assume is a lot of Blood Sacrifice prayers would be merciless. With all of the Nagash lists that were out there, though, it's not surprising to me that this wouldn't have done better. It's a shame there wasn't more detail on his load outs and Prayers. 

The success of these MSU Mortal Khorne lists is rather intriguing. Many were counting Mortal Khorne as a lower tier army in AoS 2.  Anyone want to shed some light on what makes these lists viable? Is it the summoning from the MSU? The most interesting to me thing about these lists is that both Pano's and Darren Watson's lists utilize multiple units of Wrathmongers. Obviously they are needed if your going to run Bloodforged but even without the battalion they seem to be a good choice at least in this early meta.  There does seem to be a rise in the number of big monsters appearing on lists and i wonder if that's why the Wrathmongers may be a good choice.  

• Like 1

Granted this was back in 1st edition and path to glory setup, but I had a unit of Wrathmongers that received the teleport greater reward and ever since then I've sworn by them.  They probably aren't as killy as Skullreapers in the long run, but now that my local meta is moving to everyone having the biggest monster/characters possible, I'm thinking of going Gore Pilgrims/Bloodforged and seeing how that sticks.  I don't have a hyper competitive meta but we don't make pushover lists either, has anyone ran Bloodforged to any effect?

Perhaps just a massive combo of a lot of smaller things rather than one big reason as to why wrathmongers could be the sleeper unit for aos2:

Rules change- can no longer wuss out and choose not to attack units you are in combat with

More big monsters (perhaps because among other things you can do fun stuff with the MS realm artifacts)- and in some cases incentivisation for them to be camping on an objective

Fewer massive horde units - msu as a natural defence against all the horrific anti horde magic spells (looking at your gaunt summoner). 

Less of a focus on shooting- points changes, -1 to hit heros, idoneth, one of the realms takes you down to 6" range..

Magic; unbind at a greater range. Arcane bolt took a nerf. More of a focus on buffing spells rather than pew pew spells.

Objectives as close as 9" away in the new battle plans. Vs 12" in the old ones.  Inches make a big difference in getting a slow unit like wrathmongers in range of a charge or to run onto the objective T1.