AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hola,

I'm thinking about attending a local 1000pt beginner's tournament with the following list. I haven't played any games with the Blades as of yet so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything crucial or messed up the list somehow. Let me know what you think!

Bloodsecrator 

Bloodstoker

Slaughterpriest - Bloodbathed Axe, Killing Frenzy (best?)

Battleline:

Bloodreavers x10 - Banner, Horn, Meatripper axes

Fleshhounds x10

Skullreapers x10 - Daemonblades

It looks fairly vicious to me, but I don't have the experience to really know for sure. What's I'm very unsure of is who should be the general and what artifact to take; Bloodsecrator, or Slaughterpriest? Crimson Plate sounds good, but then I should also probably take Bronzed Flesh on the SP?

I have a pretty big summoning pool built up too, so that's nice. 

I find Violent Urgency to be a pretty useful command trait in 1000 point games and so I would probably make the Bloodstoker your general. He represents the least threatening target compared to the priest or bloodsecrator and can move up with the units he is looking to buff. 

If you expect to encounter magic then Brazen Rune is the best artifact choice and I usually stick it on the Bloodsecrator.

14 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I find Violent Urgency to be a pretty useful command trait in 1000 point games and so I would probably make the Bloodstoker your general. He represents the least threatening target compared to the priest or bloodsecrator and can move up with the units he is looking to buff. 

If you expect to encounter magic then Brazen Rune is the best artifact choice and I usually stick it on the Bloodsecrator.

Good points! I’ll give that a shot. 

On 2/4/2019 at 8:47 AM, THUNDERFISTS said:

It looks fairly vicious to me, but I don't have the experience to really know for sure. What's I'm very unsure of is who should be the general and what artifact to take; Bloodsecrator, or Slaughterpriest? Crimson Plate sounds good, but then I should also probably take Bronzed Flesh on the SP?

Agent of Chaos is right about Violent Urgency, and if you're looking to go full-tilt on the charge, giving the Bloodstoker the Talisman of Burning Blood will allow him to add 1" to run or charge rolls to units within 8" of him.

If you're looking to keep support heroes safe, the Crimson Plate lets you reroll saves of 1, the Blood-forged Armor lets you ignore rend <-2, and Ignax's Scales (Aqshy artefact) give you a 4+ mortal wound save.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 9:07 AM, AaronWIlson said:

Appreciate that, will make the swap! Do you think 2x5 or 1x10 would serve better for the re-roll on the dispel? 

Cheers! Well I like the space they can occupy too. Plus a unit of 10 just has that little extra impact on the field, it's 20 wounds afterall. The main idea is to have a unit to support the Thirster with,or screen him.

This is a cool idea too: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/cankhorne/?fbclid=IwAR1U3bwjNVGqsqBgrGXsGAcqRSuoaAa0R7ZTA7QrfjuS2ex2JjvBOYWVL1Y#Introduction 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Cheers! Well I like the space they can occupy too. Plus a unit of 10 just has that little extra impact on the field, it's 20 wounds afterall. The main idea is to have a unit to support the Thirster with,or screen him.

This is a cool idea too: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/cankhorne/?fbclid=IwAR1U3bwjNVGqsqBgrGXsGAcqRSuoaAa0R7ZTA7QrfjuS2ex2JjvBOYWVL1Y#Introduction 

Just jumped on here to post that link myself.

That's Matt Campbell's list and write up for his CanCon victory.

It's a really good write up, I definitely recommend reading it.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, THUNDERFISTS said:

Hola,

I'm thinking about attending a local 1000pt beginner's tournament with the following list. I haven't played any games with the Blades as of yet so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything crucial or messed up the list somehow. Let me know what you think!

Bloodsecrator 

Bloodstoker

Battleline:

Fleshhounds x10

Looks a fun start list.

I would put brazen rune on the blood stoker, in some missions yiu need an artefact or wizard to score and he is your fastest hero. The secrator won’t move and no one will nuke him with all those innings around and priest will be more use off the objective

Take killing frenzy blessing for the priest and stick it on your reapers along with the blood secrator buff.

Get some daemons to summon 

• Like 1

Hello everybody! I'm new of TGA but long time khorne player. 

Finally I have 3 bloodthirster, so I want to try Council of Blood 😎

Has someone already tried it? Since I know it is not much competitive, I would go very brutal and thought the following list: 

Skarbrand

Wrath of khorne

Bt of insensate rage

Blood stoker

Slaughterpriest

3x bloodcrushers

6 bloodcrushers 

2x10 flesh hounds

10 blood reavers

2000 pt exact

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, THUNDERFISTS said:

Hola,

Bloodsecrator 

Bloodstoker

Battleline:

Fleshhounds x10

Put the skullreapers in units of 5. A unit of 10 mean all your threats are in the same bag, and don't combo well with their abilities asking them to kill more models than they are.

Plus 10 big base mean that half of your unit won't strike. Meh.

1 hour ago, ledha said:

Put the skullreapers in units of 5. A unit of 10 mean all your threats are in the same bag, and don't combo well with their abilities asking them to kill more models than they are.

Plus 10 big base mean that half of your unit won't strike. Meh.

I'm going to disagree, but here is my reasoning. One unit gets all the buffs - Bloodstoker and Slaughterpriest specifically. Their own cute bonus for killing models depends on the number of models in the unit at the time, so if they start dying that "paywall" diminishes anyway.  Their main damage output is in MWs as far as I can see, getting it on 5's and 6's with Killing Frenzy. They will reroll all wound rolls of 1 with that Bloodstoker prodding too (all 10 vs one unit of 5, increasing their efficiency). 

All eggs in one basket seems pretty on par with a lot of what I've seen on the internet, and we know the internet is always right. One big killy unit/monster that gets all the buffs and goes roughshod over an army. Is that an incorrect perception? 

They do only have a 1" range which I see as a minor downside, but I can still move them in a rough line or zig zagged so their pile-in brings everyone in, right? No one has to run 5x2 lines. My inexperience shows now, but I think that's viable enough. Plus when any tertiary models die, they still get to deal some MWs for funsies.

The only real benefit I'm seeing from splitting the unit is an extra Blood Tithe point when they die. I contend that they'll generate more BT points by killing more units together than as separate units. Eh?

8 hours ago, THUNDERFISTS said:

I'm going to disagree, but here is my reasoning. One unit gets all the buffs - Bloodstoker and Slaughterpriest specifically. Their own cute bonus for killing models depends on the number of models in the unit at the time, so if they start dying that "paywall" diminishes anyway.  Their main damage output is in MWs as far as I can see, getting it on 5's and 6's with Killing Frenzy. They will reroll all wound rolls of 1 with that Bloodstoker prodding too (all 10 vs one unit of 5, increasing their efficiency). 

All eggs in one basket seems pretty on par with a lot of what I've seen on the internet, and we know the internet is always right. One big killy unit/monster that gets all the buffs and goes roughshod over an army. Is that an incorrect perception? 

They do only have a 1" range which I see as a minor downside, but I can still move them in a rough line or zig zagged so their pile-in brings everyone in, right? No one has to run 5x2 lines. My inexperience shows now, but I think that's viable enough. Plus when any tertiary models die, they still get to deal some MWs for funsies.

The only real benefit I'm seeing from splitting the unit is an extra Blood Tithe point when they die. I contend that they'll generate more BT points by killing more units together than as separate units. Eh?

The thing is, those big units having all the buffs have advantages that the skullreapers don't have, usually being fast (including cavalry or flyers  like dracoths, enlightened, grimghast reapers, super fast witch aelves... ), having a good range on their attacks combined with a smaller base ( grimghast reapers, evocators with their 2" range and their mortal wounds with 3" range, skellies...) meaning they call easily all strike (while the skullreapers, with 40mm base and 1" range, can't strike) or a good mobility (run+charge, retreat+charge, deepstrike...) or a extremely good resilience making them able to tank everything (20 sequitors with castellant lantern, big blocks of dryads...)

if you put your skullreapers in one big line, they loose mobility and are very easy to block with one guy on their flank. Their enormous base also mean more ennemies can attack them with more ease, and while not fragile, they are definitely not sturdy and don't want to expose themselves. They can't all attack efficiently.

Plus they won't be able to be everywhere at once, and it make easier for your opponent to figure where is the danger. It's easier to manage a big 10-man units than two 5-man unit.

5 skullreapers will usually have all their bonuses in one activation. 10 skullreapers will have a harder time to reach their very precious trial of skulls.

It's the same for the fleshounds, who are better in units of 5 than 10 (two unbinds are as good as one unbind with +1, even more since they loose their bonus after the first death) because blood tithe + fast objective grabbers.

I include skullreapers in all my list (from 10 to 15) since 2 years and units of 10 never achieved as much as 2x5 guys (you even loose one mutation !)

Plus having one unit receiving all the buffs also mean a single debuff will wreck all your damage potential.

And your more important buff, the +1 to hit, won't always suceed. NEVER count on your slaughterpriest doing his job outside of a gore pilgrim. I actually prefer a single aspiring deathbringer, who can even buff the two units with his CA (while slaughterpriest is limited to one), which CAN'T miss (while the priest suceed on a 4+), and combined with the bloodsecrator, such a ungodly amount of attacks (5 per guy !) will easily reach results as good if not better than the +1 to hit (which fail off 50% of the time)

Of course, just my personnal opinion

Edited by ledha
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

I know the 6+ change did somewhat reduce their effectiveness, but are they suddenly not worth taking anymore?

Bloodletters are still quite good in terms of their warscroll, just not at their current points level, especially with Crimson Crown only working on a 6 in 2nd edition.

Skullreapers are now looking like the better choice as they can benefit from mortal buffs and are more durable.

• Thanks 1

So they can get an easy +2 attacks with the portal and Deathbringer, +1 to wound off a juggerlord? Any others?

While bloodletters do get an easy reroll 1s to hit, and can run and charge with the WoK thirster. 

I'm still undecided myself on which way i wanna go with my own khorne army. I've been doing a mix, but i guess its best to choose mortal or Daemon? 

14 hours ago, ledha said:

The thing is, those big units having all the buffs have advantages that the skullreapers don't have, usually being fast (including cavalry or flyers  like dracoths, enlightened, grimghast reapers, super fast witch aelves... ), having a good range on their attacks combined with a smaller base ( grimghast reapers, evocators with their 2" range and their mortal wounds with 3" range, skellies...) meaning they call easily all strike (while the skullreapers, with 40mm base and 1" range, can't strike) or a good mobility (run+charge, retreat+charge, deepstrike...) or a extremely good resilience making them able to tank everything (20 sequitors with castellant lantern, big blocks of dryads...)

if you put your skullreapers in one big line, they loose mobility and are very easy to block with one guy on their flank. Their enormous base also mean more ennemies can attack them with more ease, and while not fragile, they are definitely not sturdy and don't want to expose themselves. They can't all attack efficiently.

Plus they won't be able to be everywhere at once, and it make easier for your opponent to figure where is the danger. It's easier to manage a big 10-man units than two 5-man unit.

5 skullreapers will usually have all their bonuses in one activation. 10 skullreapers will have a harder time to reach their very precious trial of skulls.

It's the same for the fleshounds, who are better in units of 5 than 10 (two unbinds are as good as one unbind with +1, even more since they loose their bonus after the first death) because blood tithe + fast objective grabbers.

I include skullreapers in all my list (from 10 to 15) since 2 years and units of 10 never achieved as much as 2x5 guys (you even loose one mutation !)

Plus having one unit receiving all the buffs also mean a single debuff will wreck all your damage potential.

And your more important buff, the +1 to hit, won't always suceed. NEVER count on your slaughterpriest doing his job outside of a gore pilgrim. I actually prefer a single aspiring deathbringer, who can even buff the two units with his CA (while slaughterpriest is limited to one), which CAN'T miss (while the priest suceed on a 4+), and combined with the bloodsecrator, such a ungodly amount of attacks (5 per guy !) will easily reach results as good if not better than the +1 to hit (which fail off 50% of the time)

Of course, just my personnal opinion

Those are all very good points, thank you. I'm going to try both out and see. Splitting both the reapers and hounds into 2x5 units does sound solid for 1000pts, a lot more board coverage that way. Plus doing two units means there are now more "waves" to send in rather than just the one, so I like that too. The Khorne Speed Bag technique (thank you Warhammer Weekly) sounds like a solid plan.

Now I need an Aspiring Deathbringer :O

1 hour ago, mastercrafted said:

So they can get an easy +2 attacks with the portal and Deathbringer, +1 to wound off a juggerlord? Any others?

While bloodletters do get an easy reroll 1s to hit, and can run and charge with the WoK thirster. 

I'm still undecided myself on which way i wanna go with my own khorne army. I've been doing a mix, but i guess its best to choose mortal or Daemon? 

Don't forget the Chaos Warshrine !!! .... Its ignore wounds bubble and reroll all failed hits only apply to mortals. I feel like we'll be seeing more Warshrines in the coming months, I'm not a great fan of the model but there's plenty of alternatives. I'm cooking one up involving a Khorne themed Herdstone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Galdenistal said:

Don't forget the Chaos Warshrine !!! .... Its ignore wounds bubble and reroll all failed hits only apply to mortals. I feel like we'll be seeing more Warshrines in the coming months, I'm not a great fan of the model but there's plenty of alternatives. I'm cooking one up involving a Khorne themed Herdstone.

I don't know too much about its rules to be honest. But i did consider making one out of a corpse cart, but with skulls instead of corpses. Tbh even corpses work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mastercrafted said:

It's not that they are bad now, it's more that the benefits of running them in blobs of 30 are lower. Before the +1 hit effectively doubled your mortal wounds. Now it's just a handy buff.

10 minutes ago, Retro said:

It's not that they are bad now, it's more that the benefits of running them in blobs of 30 are lower. Before the +1 hit effectively doubled your mortal wounds. Now it's just a handy buff.

Bloodletters hit harder than warriors and reavers, but i must give Skull reapers a go. I've been thinking about chaos warriors as well, possibly with halberds.

Now that the bloodletter mw madness is gone, what units do we have that are genuinely scary in combat? I'm finding lots of things to be kind of meh, especially against ignore rend or extra saves 

2 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

Now that the bloodletter mw madness is gone, what units do we have that are genuinely scary in combat? I'm finding lots of things to be kind of meh, especially against ignore rend or extra saves 

Well, LVO is full of Skullcrushers spam lists, but they are meh. Skullreapers are strong, but still not so fast as bloodletters and not so tough as well. I am playing from 50 bloodwarriors, buffed by 3 priests with Bronzed flesh. The only problem - mortal wounds, but aside from Beastclaw no one can spam a lot of it, even daughters. 

• Like 1