AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 minutes ago, Zamik said:

Have you looked into Skullreapers? I put a unit of 5 of them with Daemon weapons in a recent 1000-pt game with my friend's Nighthaunt, and they wiped out a unit of Dreadscythe Harridans AND the Black Coach. They're absolute monsters. My friend hates them! It's great!

Yeah i have definitely thought of getting some and some wrathmongers, but i'm taking a break from buying khorne stuff at the moment. Its easy to get into a cycle of constantly buying and painting things to be competitive. I just wanna try and make a half decent list out of what i already have for the next few months or so

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forrix said:

@sambaker31 A guys won a local tournament in my area with the Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage with Gyrstrike and devastating blow. The BoIR with Gyrstrike has become a pretty standard item in Khorne tourney lists. He's 260 points plus an artifact (and you'll probably be running Gore Pilgrims so you'll have an extra) and he can destroy entire armies  if left unchecked. Granted, he's fairly easy to kill but your opponent absolutely has to deal with him.

Outrageous carnage on a 5+ then? Thats pretty nice, with +1 to hit. Might have to try this combo with slaughterborn on my IR thirster. 

On 1/30/2019 at 3:14 PM, Galdenistal said:

I don't think Khorne needs nerfs (although as a Khorne player I would say that !!), but repricing the other battalions so we aren't reliant on Gore Pilgrims as a crutch would be a good starting point. Having 800 points of most lists already decided for you gets a bit tedious.

Some of the Daemon battalions are nicer now that Bloodcrushers aren't as rubbish as they used to be, I'll need to go back and look over those for some new ideas.

As before I don't think Gore Pilgrims is a crutch or used to be, but it has become now because slowely all the other good alternatives are dissapearing. Much like some would say Bloodletters are a crutch or used to, which isn't the case, but now you will see less and more commonly the use of 10 Skullreapers. Which in turn would be marked as a crutch if either Gore Pilgrims or Blood Hunt/Council of Blood would have increased costs. More likely however Bloodthirsters will be more expensive as they used to be.

Honeslty my best advice on a Daemon Battalion at this moment would be Blood Hunt. Provided you have 15-20 Fleshhounds available to you ;) Because it boosts the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster, Bloodcrushers and Fleshhounds, which pretty much are the main reason to thake Daemons I suppose...

17 hours ago, sambaker31 said:

Hi all,

New Khorne player here (although have played quite a bit of AOS with other armies) - currently building my first army and mostly doing theoryhammer until I get enough models on the board to have some battles. This thread has already been super useful so thank you all! 😁

Anyway, on to my question - I've just bought a bloodthirster so I'm trying to work out which configuration to build it as - I'm torn between Wrath and Rage, and have seen some conflicting advice on which is better/more useful. I like the command ability on the WoK, the dispell and the ranged threat and also the solid number of attacks, but the Rage seems like it could do more damage and is much more khorney (massive axe anyone?), I'm just worried about the lack of attacks and degrading nature after suffering wounds.

I see above someone mentioned gyrstrike on an IR bloodthirster - does anyone have any experience combining this with the Devastating Blow command trait? Would be something like 4 attacks, 3+ to hit (rerolling 1's), 2+ (1+?) to wound with 5's and 6's causing both outrageous carnage and also all normal damage (d6) as mortal wounds - even with 4 attacks that is an insane amount of potential mortal wound output! Has anyone tried this combo before? Or maybe can see why it might not work/be very effective? Is there anything in the rules to say these would cancel each other out or anything like that?

I'd be running whichever BT as part of my pretty standard deamon army - 50 bloodletters, a DP, secrator, 2 units of bloodcrushers, 2 skull cannons, 2 bloodletters (basically 2 and a bit start collecting boxes for now) so does anyone have any advice on which thirster might work best for a fairly standard set up?

Hi and welcome! Good to have you here!

The Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster is the best Bloodthirster General we have, you could include others next to it, but if you want one, WoK is the way to go. Immense Strenght also gives it the damage output you're looking for. The attacks can be found with a Bloodsecrator near enough to it. 

As a small review in your army sketch, I'd keep it 'maxed' at 30 Bloodletters, perhaps additional 20 for summonning, I know some like the Daemon Prince but for Khorne I'm not sold on it. The Bloodsecrator is an obvious must, 6 Bloodcrushers are a solid plan but I would skip on Skull Cannons. If you get two Start collectings I'd go for one Skull Cannon and one Throne of Blood, you'll rarely use either of the two but technically can summon them this way ;) 

Things you certainly want to add to that list now are 10 Fleshhounds. consider more, 10 Bloodwarriors, 10 Skullreapers, 5 Wrathmongers, double Bloodstokers or offcourse Slaughterpriests for Gore Pilgrim lists. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

Outrageous carnage on a 5+ then? Thats pretty nice, with +1 to hit. Might have to try this combo with slaughterborn on my IR thirster. 

If your planning on making a IR bloodthirster I'd just like to point out that there is a good chance outrageous carnage will be changed to unmodified 6 in the future.

All the 6+ abilities seem to be going the way of the dodo

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Retro said:

If your planning on making a IR bloodthirster I'd just like to point out that there is a good chance outrageous carnage will be changed to unmodified 6 in the future.

All the 6+ abilities seem to be going the way of the dodo

I use my IR thirster every game anyway just cos he looks so damn cool! But with regards to the warscrolls, decapitating blow hasnt been changed for heralds and Skull cannons yet (at least not on the AOS app) so might have time on our side. Could be an oversight, or they might be leaving it as is for single models?

1 hour ago, mastercrafted said:

I use my IR thirster every game anyway just cos he looks so damn cool! But with regards to the warscrolls, decapitating blow hasnt been changed for heralds and Skull cannons yet (at least not on the AOS app) so might have time on our side. Could be an oversight, or they might be leaving it as is for single models?

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong he is a beast either way. Just trying to help manage expectations. 

Imagine if you just bought 90+ bloodletters and then wrath and rapture came out.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Retro said:

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong he is a beast either way. Just trying to help manage expectations. 

Imagine if you just bought 90+ bloodletters and then wrath and rapture came out.

I know a guy who did that! He plays Idoneth now...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Retro said:

lol I was partway through painting my Cancon army with 60 of 'em when W&R came out. My whole army strategy was nuked.

I'm optimistic for a points reduction though, perhaps foolishly.

7 hours ago, Killax said:

Honeslty my best advice on a Daemon Battalion at this moment would be Blood Hunt.

I've written up a list with 5 x Crushers and 3 x Hounds plus WoK and buffers, and I'm itching to test it out, but it's gonna be a weird and unfamiliar way for me to play Khorne, ie: without masses of bodies to drown the enemy.

I also don't think DoK will worry about it much at all, but we can't spend our lives thinking about them in their current state can we... ;-)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roark said:

lol I was partway through painting my Cancon army with 60 of 'em when W&R came out. My whole army strategy was nuked.

I'm optimistic for a points reduction though, perhaps foolishly.

To be honest, everyone saw this change coming ahead. When old and new armies have 6+ abilities coming to unmodified 6 and you know a box with khorne deamons is coming, it was 99% sure it would hit the bloodletters too, ESPECIALLY since they are one of the main, if not THE main reason of this change

49 minutes ago, ledha said:

To be honest, everyone saw this change coming ahead. When old and new armies have 6+ abilities coming to unmodified 6 and you know a box with khorne deamons is coming, it was 99% sure it would hit the bloodletters too, ESPECIALLY since they are one of the main, if not THE main reason of this change

Not everyone. It's obvious to people who are following all the updates and reading the forums every day but not more casual players.

Hey guys! 

Starting my prep for next years AoS army (because it's just tooooo much damn fun) BoK have turned my head as they're a stark contrast to my Sylvaneth. I want to solidify a force so I have a painting goal. This is my current list, real excited to play around with it!

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage
Blood secrator
Blood stoker
Slaughter priest 
Slaughter priest
Skarr Bloodwrath

2 x 20 Bloodreavers
2 x 10 Blood Warriors
2 x 5 Flesh Hounds
1 Chaos Warshrine

It just has a mix of cool models, some sweet buffs and most of all I think will be massively fun to paint. 

Edited by AaronWIlson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

Hey guys! 

Starting my prep for next years AoS army (because it's just tooooo much damn fun) BoK have turned my head as they're a stark contrast to my Sylvaneth. I want to solidify a force so I have a painting goal. This is my current list, real excited to play around with it!

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage
Blood secrator
Blood stoker
Slaughter priest 
Slaughter priest
Skarr Bloodwrath

2 x 20 Bloodreavers
2 x 10 Blood Warriors
2 x 5 Flesh Hounds
1 Chaos Warshrine

It just has a mix of cool models, some sweet buffs and most of all I think will be massively fun to paint. 

I haven't added up the points but Gore Pilgrims right?  I think Skarr Bloodwrath is a hidden gem of Khorne. Having a model constantly popping up everywhere in an objective based game is just gravy.

Side note: what do people think about the future of Blood Warriors? Would Gorefists still be worth taking if they get changed to the ones on Magore's Fiends where they only work on a save of 4+ (after rerolls and modifiers)?

12 hours ago, ledha said:

Yet Malign Sorcery was published with a bunch of 6+ abilities in it. I don't think anyone confidently predicted the precise scope and scale of this particular shift (except in hindsight of course). We certainly spoke about it regarding Bloodletters, but my main point was really the comedy of the timing for me (ie: one month before the world's largest tourney).

18 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

Sorry.. yeah it has Gore Pilgrims. After re-sehuffling, I found a list I'm dead set on :)

BT Insensate Rate
Secrator
Stoker
3 x Priests

2 x 20 Reavers
2 x 10 Warriors
1 x 10 Skullreapers

Pilgrims..

I cannot wait to paint this!

Looks fun. One very minor change would be to split the reavers into units of 10 as it is slightly more flexible. From experience I have found that very useful for objective grabbing, screening, tithe etc 

Get some daemons to paint for summoning, even without trying this list should end up with quite a few to spend.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 12:08 AM, Roark said:

I've written up a list with 5 x Crushers and 3 x Hounds plus WoK and buffers, and I'm itching to test it out, but it's gonna be a weird and unfamiliar way for me to play Khorne, ie: without masses of bodies to drown the enemy.

I also don't think DoK will worry about it much at all, but we can't spend our lives thinking about them in their current state can we... 😉

Thats a loooot of Crushers, but I get the idea behind it. I personally think Blood Hunt is a steal without that many Bloodcrushers still, so I'm still focussing on a list with 2 units of them, 1 unit of 10 Fleshhounds, 1 unit of 5 and  a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster. Still leaves room for a lot of additional stuff. On paper Bloodcurshers are good shock units, but after that their output isn't really good enough, so in the end I might just end up with 2 fat units of 10 Fleshhounds.

I agree with you on DoK, and I agree with you that we can't really worry about that either. We deal with the cards GW serves us after all.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:44 PM, AaronWIlson said:

Sorry.. yeah it has Gore Pilgrims. After re-sehuffling, I found a list I'm dead set on :)

BT Insensate Rate
Secrator
Stoker
3 x Priests

2 x 20 Reavers
2 x 10 Warriors
1 x 10 Skullreapers

Pilgrims..

I cannot wait to paint this!

Looks cool to me, I do wonder if you need or want that second unit of Blood Warriors. I have the feeling a list like this could really use 10x Fleshhounds as a unit to support the Bloodthirster with or in general then have two units with some good movement. Otherwise I like it a lot.

• Like 1

So I was thinking about getting started with Khorne daemons, since I can play them in 40k and AoS, would the Khorne half of wrath and rapture and a start collecting be a good starting point, or is mortal khorne just heads and shoulders better than Khorne daemons? 

@grimgoldAn all Daemon army is certainly viable, as is an all mortal army. The most successful Khorne armies (from a tournament perspective) tend to mix a bit of both. However if you are a casual/narrative player then an all daemon army is fun, fluffy and more than capable of winning games.

Be aware that most of the best buffs come from the mortal heroes (Bloodsecrator, Bloodstoker, Slaughterpriests, Lord on Juggernaught) although the best command ability and probably the best general is the Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster. There is no reason why you couldnt have all daemon troops with a sprinkling of mortal daemon heroes- that way you only have a handful of models that dont crossover with 40K. Daemon Princes can be fun too. 

Based on your proposed purchases, there are a couple of daemon battalions that you should look at building towards such as Murderhost and/or BloodHunt.  There is also a new battalion specially for the Wraith & Rapture units which you can increase in size with the start collecting box. If you do get a start collecting box I would recommend the skull cannon over the blood throne. 

The hardest part with an all daemon army is you need even more spare daemon units for summoning although there are other abilities to use bloodtithe on, besides you may not be in a position to summon until your units are dead anyway in which case you re-use the same models, so its not a major issue. 

• Like 1

Well my thought is start with a base of khorne daemons, then expand a bit into both games with some other units. Like mortal Khorne and some world eaters (painted in the pre-heresy color scheme because it's much better than post heresy). Maybe add the bloodbound SCB, since I imagine khorne is a bit more competitive in AoS than 40k. A follow up question though, is the blood throne bad? Without the blood throne I'd need to buy a seperate herald of some sort (probably the skull taker) to get the murder host, so I definitely want to get that nailed down before I start assembly. Thanks for the feedback :)

Plan sounds good. A khorne player with a mixed list just won Cancon so yes, khorne is competitive in AOS (although the second khorne player finished 51st so its swings and roundabouts).

Blood throne is just trash rules wise- never see ppl use them. In addition, when you build the skull cannon you don't use the Herald that would stand on the throne so you just need a 40mm base for him and you're sorted :-)

• Like 1

Exactly, the Throne is a cool piece but using it as a Skullcannon has more benifits for a player who gets into AoS. As Agent of Chaos mentioned, you basically then get a Skullcannon, Bloodherald on foot, plus the Throne thing can be used for objective markers. In pretty much all scenario's I think that's a better 'deal'.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Killax said:

Thats a loooot of Crushers, but I get the idea behind it. I personally think Blood Hunt is a steal without that many Bloodcrushers still, so I'm still focussing on a list with 2 units of them, 1 unit of 10 Fleshhounds, 1 unit of 5 and  a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster. Still leaves room for a lot of additional stuff. On paper Bloodcurshers are good shock units, but after that their output isn't really good enough, so in the end I might just end up with 2 fat units of 10 Fleshhounds.

I agree with you on DoK, and I agree with you that we can't really worry about that either. We deal with the cards GW serves us after all.

Looks cool to me, I do wonder if you need or want that second unit of Blood Warriors. I have the feeling a list like this could really use 10x Fleshhounds as a unit to support the Bloodthirster with or in general then have two units with some good movement. Otherwise I like it a lot.

Appreciate that, will make the swap! Do you think 2x5 or 1x10 would serve better for the re-roll on the dispel? 

• Like 1