AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

@Agent of Chaos thanks for the write up, great read, good to see confirmation on several units their viability and functionality.

As stands I still have a closet full of Khorne so I might aswell give another fun swing at the hobby, I still love the models and army concept after all. Would love to hear some ideas and feedback on these lists, especially as I still have a lot of catching up to do. The main plan is to go for Gore Pilgrims (for when I want to play mainly Mortals) or Blood Hunt (for when I want to play more Daemons). I also like the concept of running Council of Blood but I still reall like to have more units/infantry/cavalry as monsters. 

Blood Hunt:
[ Blood Hunt 180
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster 320
10x Fleshhounds 200
5x Fleshhounds 100
3x Bloodcrushers 140
3x Bloodcrushers 140]
Bloodsecrator 140
Bloodstoker 80
Bloodstoker 80
30x Bloodletters 320
5x Wrathmongers 180
[20x Marauders 120]
2000/2000

So here I'd love some advice on current good Realm Artefacts, or if I should go for the Artefacts Khorne has to offer. On top of that I now decided to include 30x Bloodletters because I have them, Another option could be 10x Skullreapers and 5x Fleshhounds instead of the 30 Bloodletters and 20x Marauders, then an option to consider is also to use 10x Blood Warriors and 40x Bloodreapers. In this case the Marauders are there to add some backline body, I don't think they are a bad choice. They are equipped with shields.

• At this moment I am not certain what is best, I think Bloodletters because of the Daemon synergy and Command Trait from the Bloodthirster.
  • I'd love to know what kind of set up you guys use for the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster these days. I think equipping the Bloodsecrator with a Brass Rune isn't bad, despite the Unbind units I have. 

Gore Pilgrims:
[Gore Pilgrims 200
Bloodsecrator 140
Slaughterpriest 100
Slaughterpriest 100
Slaughterpriest 100
10x Bloodwarriors 200
40x Bloodreavers 240]
Bloodstoker 80
Mighty Lord of Khorne 120
10x Fleshhounds 200
10x Skullreapers 340
5x Wrathmongers 180
2000/2000

As above I'd love to see some fresh perspective on Gore Pilgrims, I'm willing to try 10 Fleshhounds here again to at least have a unit with a decent Movement, which ideally will be sufficient to allow the rest of the army to catch up. I do think I have sufficient bodies. It might be even smarter to go deeper into the Bloodreaver swarm and perhaps consider addtition support with a Chaos Warshrine.

• At this moment I'd just like to know some experiences with Gore Pilgrims or the big blob of Skullreapers.

Again as always, thanks for the feedback, cheers!

Blood for the Bloodgod!

• Like 1

@Killax good to see you in the thread, we miss your advice!

Some small notes on the warshrine, I find it complements gorepilgrims nicely. The fourth blessing and the unique prayer are handy. Would be good on your reaver swarm or the skull reapers. 

The fourth blessing offers some flexibility for adding blood sacrifice in or having 2 frenzies and 2 bronzes flesh.

I am not sure what I would drop from the gp list, maybe the mongers. If you do you could upgrade the MLoK to juggerlord.

I have also found daemon prince is fun in this list too to give you some fast choppy ness. Give him the D6 MW artefact from ulgu or extra rend and he will do well in this lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

@Galdenistal

I've never used that prayer before, but does the unit have to make a run move ie? D6"? And then just move a few of the models that distance still leaving the bulk of the unit on an objective? 

The unit affected has to run as far as it can, which I assume means movement + 6". I haven't used it to pull a large unit off an objective. At the very least you can try to pull a unit out of the orbit of Deathless Spirits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Praecautus said:

@Killax good to see you in the thread, we miss your advice!

Some small notes on the warshrine, I find it complements gorepilgrims nicely. The fourth blessing and the unique prayer are handy. Would be good on your reaver swarm or the skull reapers. 

The fourth blessing offers some flexibility for adding blood sacrifice in or having 2 frenzies and 2 bronzes flesh.

I am not sure what I would drop from the gp list, maybe the mongers. If you do you could upgrade the MLoK to juggerlord.

I have also found daemon prince is fun in this list too to give you some fast choppy ness. Give him the D6 MW artefact from ulgu or extra rend and he will do well in this lot.

Thank! Ill reconsider those pieces. A lot has happened in my personal life, I still check the topics but usually post less. On top of that the recent alterations to Bloodletters did set Khorne back a peg for me aswell. I think that it's time to make a really cool Khorne Warshrine however! I think that the Wrathmongers might indeed be better at their place in a different list.

23 minutes ago, Killax said:

Thank! Ill reconsider those pieces. A lot has happened in my personal life, I still check the topics but usually post less. On top of that the recent alterations to Bloodletters did set Khorne back a peg for me aswell. I think that it's time to make a really cool Khorne Warshrine however! I think that the Wrathmongers might indeed be better at their place in a different list.

There is always place for a warshrine - the GW one is great to paint.

I have also foond skull reapers to be worth the weight now. 10 in one unit would be a scary force. So much so that I am tempted to make a combination of gorepilgrims and skulltake. It would be a 2 drops list, maybe not a tournament winning list but certainly a fun one

B51E4D1C-4385-4CFC-958F-E6D575764DC3.jpeg

41E32F9A-3C25-437A-8565-F65B23E3CCA9.jpeg

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

On the topic of warshrines, I'm not a big fan of the ogres underneath and I'm considering using a warpfire cannon as a kitbash to have one on wheels.

Do you think people would get all WYSIWYG on me about the clubbed fists?

Also, I was thinking I could convert the ogres into khorgoraths, do you think they'd be a good size?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Killax said:

@Agent of Chaos thanks for the write up, great read, good to see confirmation on several units their viability and functionality.

No worries @Killax and great to see you posting again! It seems you take the khorne nerfs harder than anyone!

I see you've included 10 x flesh hounds in both lists. Can I claim influence for this? I can definitely vouch for their effective although being near a khorne daemon hero for that unbind reroll is pretty handy and something that is missing from your gore pilgrims list.

Although I dont own and so have never used a warshrine the syncing with gore pilgrims seems obvious and I will definitely be running a list like that when I eventually get mine. 

I'm a big fan of Immense Power and Deathdealer on my Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster and have won games due to the extra damage he causes. Brazen Rune is a must for when you dont want to leave a crucial unbind to chance. I've never used mine for the magic protection ability, only ever for the auto dispel so am usually happy with it being on my bloodsecrator. Gyrstrike is the most notable malign sorcery artifact however give the WoK thirster already wounds on 2+ its a waste on him.

This might be controversial but Im not sure you will get that much benefit from the bloodsecator in the blood hunt. You have lots of unbinding options in the list and most of the units are fast and so might get out of range. If he is going to hang back and support the marauders then blood reavers would be a better option given they would benefit from the totem keyword as well.  I think you are probably right about the synergy with the bloodletters so they should probably stay in.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Praecautus said:

There is always place for a warshrine - the GW one is great to paint.

I have also foond skull reapers to be worth the weight now. 10 in one unit would be a scary force. So much so that I am tempted to make a combination of gorepilgrims and skulltake. It would be a 2 drops list, maybe not a tournament winning list but certainly a fun one.

That Warshrine looks great man! I think 10 Skullreapers are somewhat of the reason I think mortal heavy armies can still deliver a punch. I also agree with you that at that stage Wrathmongers seem less needed. And yeah I don't think tournament winning lists should be on any Khorne's players mind. For sure it's still possible but it's less likely to occur as in AoS1, let alone with Wrath and Rapture in mind :) 

The plan I also have for my own Warshrine will likely be a little more expensive and maby strange as usual. As I plan to get the Slaughterbrute for it, place a throne of the Council of Blood somewhere and have a Slaughterpriest stand on top. I always liked the Slaughterbrute model, don't know if it's any good for this edition but think the model alone excuses the use. Luckily he has the same base size as the Warshrine so if I point it out clearly enough (and convert it enough) I hope players won't have an issue with it. 

10 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

No worries @Killax and great to see you posting again! It seems you take the khorne nerfs harder than anyone!

I see you've included 10 x flesh hounds in both lists. Can I claim influence for this? I can definitely vouch for their effective although being near a khorne daemon hero for that unbind reroll is pretty handy and something that is missing from your gore pilgrims list.

Although I dont own and so have never used a warshrine the syncing with gore pilgrims seems obvious and I will definitely be running a list like that when I eventually get mine. 

I'm a big fan of Immense Power and Deathdealer on my Wraith of Khorne Bloodthirster and have won games due to the extra damage he causes. Brazen Rune is a must for when you dont want to leave a crucial unbind to chance. I've never used mine for the magic protection ability, only ever for the auto dispel so am usually happy with it being on my bloodsecrator. Gyrstrike is the most notable malign sorcery artifact however give the WoK thirster already wounds on 2+ its a waste on him.

This might be controversial but Im not sure you will get that much benefit from the bloodsecator in the blood hunt. You have lots of unbinding options in the list and most of the units are fast and so might get out of range. If he is going to hang back and support the marauders then blood reavers would be a better option given they would benefit from the totem keyword as well.  I think you are probably right about the synergy with the bloodletters so they should probably stay in.  

Cheers! Well, I must say it doesn't feel 'fun', as it's the fifth nerf in a row for the army since it's inception. While I can understand the reasoning, I think that tournament results have shown (again) that priority of nerfing shouldn't really be that focused on Chaos, this time it has been unexpected as well, at least for me.

Feel free to claim the influence for the Fleshhounds haha! I havn't really looked at the forums in a while, other than glancing at some posts. The aim for the Blood Hunt list was really to thake the units that got the minor buffs and try to make that work. As in a way I think it can compensate for the nerf Bloodletters recieved. On top of that I always liked the concept of Fleshhounds. Hope the new plastic ones will be out soon in a boxed set, as I only have 15 old ones and that isn't enough I feel. At least not if I aim to summon them too.

Immense Power indeed seems like must on the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster still. I think the Crimson Crown is now less interesting? 
Other than that I agree with the Brazen Rune, I also heard that there is an artefact that keeps a unit save (for once per game) untill it attacks, this might help with the squishyness of the WoK versus larger units too?

I think I largely agree with you on the use of Bloodsecrator, but I still like it as the army is mixed. The idea is to have a initial and secondary wave of attacks. If this means the Bloodsecrator can run turn 1 it seems okay with me. As it would then affect a large ammount of models, this is the aim at least.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Thanks Killax!

I have a game tonight v BCR and so I think the shrine needs an outing. I am going to take my usual gorepilgrims

Daemon prince (or maybe juggerlord) with sword of judgement 

Slaughter priest w kill frenzy

Slaughter priest w kill frenzy

Slaughter priestw bronze flesh

Blood secrator

Blood stoker

10 blood warriors

10 blood warriors

4x10 blood reavers

Khorgorath

5 skull reapers

Shrine w bronze flesh

I am not sure of command trait for general, maybe immense power on the prince or what the second artefact is yet

i have a thirster to summon aoong with some other smaller daemons

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rumblefish said:

I think the Ogres would work well, add some skulls and tentacles and they've be close to the profile of a Khorgorath.

Trickiest part for either part of that conversion is that the front Ogres left hand is part of the tusk it's holding.

I think the easiest thing to do with the ogre hand is just write it off as a loss. Hack it off the tusk and patch it up with green stuff, then tentacles for the ogres hand that he lost.

19 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Retro go for it! Sounds like a good conversion and cant see anyone getting upset about the clubbed fists. I have an idea about putting Juggernaughts under mine so no clubbed fists there!

I was toying with the idea of magnetising some fists onto the front of the cart just for the fun of it haha. 

I also considered juggernauts but I don't think I can bring myself to buy skull/bloodcrushers and then not be able to use the riders for much.

So I took my list w warshrine (see post above) out for a friendly 2k game last night v beastclaw. I added immense power to the prince in addition to blade of judgement and added a banner to the blood secrator that deals mortal wounds.

We played open war. I had to deploy my entire army in 1 drop in a 24 inch bubble in the middle. 2 objectives close by. He had to deploy in the 4 corners with 2 further objectives. Being in the centre close together helped my army as multiple buffs were in range on multiple units as most of the battle was in my deployment zone. This made the army really punch, although it took a while to chip the stone horns and general on thindertusk down - they all died in the end.

It was a hard fought 7-7 draw on points and I expect I probably would have won if it had gone to 6 rounds. I am really pleased as I thought I was doomed on turn 2 and was close to calling it, never give up the dice always roll both ways.

Particular highlights

Daemon prince with blade of judgement with stacked killing frenzy - holy moly - 12 mortal wounds + 7 claw damage dealt in turn 1. He was killed immediate after but I’ll run that combo again.

Warshrine was IMMENSE. Most of the army was under protection of the darkgods so the ward save saved my bacon a lot of times. More than made its points back in value of models saved. It took a lot to take it down. Must remember to use the reroll all failed hits more often.

MSU reavers, cheap objective grabbers, screen, blood tithe, 31 attacks, rend or reroll hits, love these guys. 140 points worth scored most of my points.

Bloodwarriors, both units performed again. Hitting on death is useful and a last ditch screen of the gorefist unit w bronzed flesh dealt a few mortal wounds.

Priests, as expected, combined with shrine the 4 blessings was really flexible. They dealt a lot of mortal wounds.

Bloodsecrator w banner, never had call to use it before but it was built for this battle. D3 MW on each unit in 8 inch on a 4+,  was like a bonus prayer and surprisingly reliable.

Summoned wok bt . Could deploy in range to nuke his general and captured the objective for a draw. But the other summoned star was the herald and 5 letters who captured his back objective by chain summoning an unguarded objective ( he had a low model count army so had to abandon one near the end)

Khorgie was a distraction unit and the reapers took out at stone horn. The MW with 6 hit is handy.

All in all I’ll run this list again, it’s got a lot of tricks and hits hard plus can summon so the loss of loads of models is not a worry.  

Bottom line - fun for the fun god 😀

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 4

On 1/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, mastercrafted said:

@Galdenistal

I've never used that prayer before, but does the unit have to make a run move ie? D6"? And then just move a few of the models that distance still leaving the bulk of the unit on an objective? 

No idea, I would say they roll a dice and move EVERY model for "movement + run dice".

Someone has the answer ?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

The priests scroll tells you - all units must run as far as possible ie they have to move as far as a run move (move +D6 inch) 

You mean "all models" I guess ;).

Some people say "move + 6" because "as far as possible in a D6 inches is 6". But I think it's D6.

Whi would roll the run dice ? I would say the owner of the target unit...

4 minutes ago, Beulettor said:

You mean "all models" I guess ;).

Some people say "move + 6" because "as far as possible in a D6 inches is 6". But I think it's D6.

Whi would roll the run dice ? I would say the owner of the target unit...

Yes typo it’s all models in the unit. 

Yes it is D6 so it is like a normal run move, but the models must cover all of  that distance and not up to that distance. Of course they have to stop at 3 inch from the nearest unit as well 

I tend to make the unit owner roll the dice, after all it’s their army 😀

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2019 at 8:47 AM, Praecautus said:

So I took my list w warshrine (see post above) out for a friendly 2k game last night v beastclaw. I added immense power to the prince in addition to blade of judgement and added a banner to the blood secrator that deals mortal wounds.

We played open war. I had to deploy my entire army in 1 drop in a 24 inch bubble in the middle. 2 objectives close by. He had to deploy in the 4 corners with 2 further objectives. Being in the centre close together helped my army as multiple buffs were in range on multiple units as most of the battle was in my deployment zone. This made the army really punch, although it took a while to chip the stone horns and general on thindertusk down - they all died in the end.

It was a hard fought 7-7 draw on points and I expect I probably would have won if it had gone to 6 rounds. I am really pleased as I thought I was doomed on turn 2 and was close to calling it, never give up the dice always roll both ways.

All in all I’ll run this list again, it’s got a lot of tricks and hits hard plus can summon so the loss of loads of models is not a worry.  

Bottom line - fun for the fun god 😀

Sounds great man, yeah I think that Warshrine will come, if anything it's a nice looking centerpiece in a Mortal army.

On top of that I also think that the 2019 trend will be 10x Fleshhound units and I also hope to see more Bloodcrusher use, as is I think it's one of the best support units we have after all, with an effectively build in Slaughterpriest MW shot... In any case I think fun is the way to go for Khorne.

Speaking of nice Gore Pilgrims lists, the winner of Cancon had a very simple, very effective list also. I like it a lot. I guess it's time for me to consider a second Bloodthirster aswell, for the simple reason that with double Command Abilities they are one of the few Flying pieces we have that also still have that shock factor.

Link to the list: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/matt-campbell-blades-of-khorne/?fbclid=IwAR1vrJvUbDnnrHyGmYSrLEANdE_QlWId6pEjTtXn8khObNW5L3ljPoVcSfA

And if he's reading, congrats to Matt Campbell! BLOOD FOR THE BLOODGOD

Cheers,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes second a big congratulations to Matt Campbell.  Amazing result. He must really understand the match ups well considering he did have to go through the tier 1 armies like DoK and LoN.  

Must admit I didn’t think Khorne was going to win a big tournament for a while. Would love to hear his insights on these tough matchups. 

• Like 1