AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

And a Skullreaper unit for all-purpose killing.

Well, they actually do nothing. I would take another squad of mongers or another 5 warriors and 10 bloodreavers for more bloodpoints

You didn't really take Goreglaives on those 5 man Blood Warrior units though right? ;-)

This is the list of some guy from tournament, I don't know, why he wrote glaives in his list, but I didn't consider them in my game

9 hours ago, Revan123 said:

Well, they actually do nothing. I would take another squad of mongers or another 5 warriors and 10 bloodreavers for more bloodpoints

This is the list of some guy from tournament, I don't know, why he wrote glaives in his list, but I didn't consider them in my game

If your trying to go primarily mortal khorne nothing comes close to putting out the damage that buffed skull reapers can do. They're an absolutely ridiculous unit, even for the high point costs. I've had them single combat phase a great unclean one and horticulix slimux, 9 crypt flayers, 9 morsaar, and they pretty much blend apart anything they touch.

Edited by JarekTheRed
Spelling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Kazimer said:

Hey there, new to this forum. Would Marauder Horsemen with Javelins work as a ranged light cavalry option for BoK? They provide something the actual book has nothing of, and seem to absolutely go nuts with the buffs that our heroes can apply.

I've been looking at these fellas seriously lately, because their 12" move leaves other Khorne  cavalry in the dust; and even though Retreat isn't very Khorney, I'm interested in using it with them to harass and annoy enemies while my inexorable march of lunatics advances up the field.

I bought a whole bunch of marauder horsemen with some of these shenanigans in mind. If you buff with slaughterpriests and other stuff they can do some damage, however there are far better units to be putting your buffs onto. I def think they can play a role as a flank harasser, area denier, if they get close enough their shooting should hurt a weak character or war machine. Might be a good way to tackle undead as they can surge forward, throw their javelins over the skeletons and into the Necromancer behind.

If your trying to go primarily mortal khorne nothing comes close to putting out the damage that buffed skull reapers can do. They're an absolutely ridiculous unit, even for the high point costs. I've had them single combat phase a great unclean one and horticulix slimux, 9 crypt flayers, 9 morsaar, and they pretty much blend apart anything they touch.

just... how?

1 hour ago, Revan123 said:

just... how?

Daemonblades, Killing Frenzy, and then as many +attack buffs as you can fit in the list.

They benefit from any of our other buffs as well, but obviously +hit most of all.

There will absolutely be times they bounce off things, but generally they're reliable murder factories.

• Like 2

I agree, I have one unit of reapers which is disliked intently by some local gamers. Buff then ip and smash them into something and they will more often than not tear it apart. I had a unit of 5 chew through a corpse cart, 40 zombies and the necromancer in 2 turns. I was lucky with rolls but not that lucky.

I have a plan to mix gore pilgrims with the skull reaper khorgorath battalion and see how it goes for fun

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Revan123 said:

just... how?

Buffed them twice with killing frenzy so they do a mortal wound in addition to normal damage on 4+ to hit and hit normally on 2+ to start. Blood stoke them so they re roll 1s to wound. Blood secrator opens the portal for 1 extra swing, aspiring death bringer command ability for another, wrathmongers running behind for another. At that point the basic dudes are bringing 6 attacks each with enough re rolls to basically ensure things are dying, then the soul tearer usually just deletes things from existence. Also dont forget the champion has the mutation that gets extra swings as well, that can do a decent amount of damage. The skull take battalion makes them even more absurd but I have been running gore pilgrims and dont like going with double battallions. 

I just recently started bringing skull reapers and they've already got a reputation as one of the scariest units in the game among my play group. They will kill anything, just point them at it and apply the proper buffs.

I think one hammer of 10 Skullreapers is great, serves a similar purpose as 30 Bloodletters but I wouldn't likely include additional multiple pockets of 5 Skullreapers. Offcourse you can do so for Battalion reasons, but 10 Skullreapers and a unit of 5 Wrathmongers usually give more utility. 

14 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Speaking of double battalions, has anyone had good success in going with (mostly) minimum Gore Pilgrims + Skulltake or has it generally been better to max out one way or the other?

I’ve had some success with it personally. 

I adore the Skulltake Battalion. 

10 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I’ve had some success with it personally. 

I adore the Skulltake Battalion. 

I've made a couple trial lists with it, but I go low on the Warriors\screens to fit everything in. May just have to give it a shot.

Also, does anyone consider running a block of 30 Bloodletters in either? I imagine Skullreapers generally fulfill the same purpose.

My friend plays Freeguild, and his block of Handgunners really got me in the last game we played, because once per round, when an enemy unit ends a charge within 3" of them, they can just fire all their guns. I goofed and sent a lone hero into the fusillade.

Thinking about ways to deal with that--obviously I can send more units charging in to overwhelm him. BUT, I was thinking about using the Slaughterpriest's Blood Bind ability on the Handgunners, to make them run and thus ineligible to shoot. Is that feasible? The ability to shoot at a charge is an ability of the Piper model, but I'm inclined to believe that if the whole unit has run, they're ineligible to shoot, and so the piper's ability doesn't work. Just curious if I've hit upon a good strategy.

Thisa is the text of the Piper's ability on the warscroll:

PIPERS
Models in this unit may be Pipers. Once per turn, if an enemy unit ends its charge move within 3" of a unit that includes any
Pipers, they can signal their unit to stand and shoot; each model then can then shoot its missile weapon at the charging unit.
Edited by Zamik
Adding info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zamik said:

BUT, I was thinking about using the Slaughterpriest's Blood Bind ability on the Handgunners, to make them run and thus ineligible to shoot. Is that feasible? The ability to shoot at a charge is an ability of the Piper model, but I'm inclined to believe that if the whole unit has run, they're ineligible to shoot, and so the piper's ability doesn't work. Just curious if I've hit upon a good strategy.

Absolutely would work. Models that have run or retreated in the same turn can't shoot, end of story.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Revan123 said:

I don't think that with this wording they cannot shoot if they ran. Because they can't shoot in their shooting phase after advance, but we are speaking about charge phase. At least in 40k a unit can overwatch despite his movement or advance

It doesn't matter. The AoS 2.0 basic rules say that units that run can't shoot later in the turn.

• Like 1