AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

This is fantastic! Can't believe i'd never thought of this, but this is an absolutely fantastic strat that I need to try out. 

Looking back at my last few games I could have definitely used this strat to do some funny things, like getting units up in the enemy's face turn one or, like I said, using it to surround them with Flesh Hounds. Or even get around their army completely and get something in their back-leader's face, which would have made my life easier on a number of occasions (Flesh Hounds assaulting some wizard that thought they were safe behind battleline units, hue hue hue).

If I'm not being clear for other users: since you're summoning the units one at a time you can use the new leaders (cheap, small foot heralds specifically) to increase your summoning range. Because you place your summoned units down one at a time, you can "chain" your summoning across the board with one or two heralds before dropping something larger, like Flesh Hounds (this assumes eight total blood points for two heralds and one unit of five Flesh Hounds). This could also allow you to squeeze out of sticky situations where your opponent thinks they've got your leaders stuck in such a way that you can't summon, depending on the amount of blood points you have available to you. All you'd need is enough room to drop a herald (which are on 32mm bases, so pretty small in AoS terms) which should give you enough room to then summon what you actually want (Flesh Hounds or Bloodletters).

Please advise - 

Simple question, I guarantee it’s been asked before: 

How many artifacts (magic items) can I take for hero’s - 1 right?

Question part - IF I have a troop able to take a totem (I.e Bloodsecrator) that“magic banner” or totem is in addition to the other “1” item /artifact per Characters? Right?

A simple yes (we take both) no (only one or the other) is fine.?

2 hours ago, Coyote said:

Please advise - 

Simple question, I guarantee it’s been asked before: 

How many artifacts (magic items) can I take for hero’s - 1 right?

Question part - IF I have a troop able to take a totem (I.e Bloodsecrator) that“magic banner” or totem is in addition to the other “1” item /artifact per Characters? Right?

A simple yes (we take both) no (only one or the other) is fine.?

No, that is the artifact. 

However if you bring a Battalion you can have 2. So you can bring a totem for Bloodsecrator and another on whoever else. 

Yes, heroes can only take one artifact each. The General can also take a command trait.

If the Bloodsecrator takes one of the banners, that counts as his artifact.

p.s. dont take one of the banners, the range is too short to ever be effective. If stuck for something to take, the Brazen Rune will rarely let you down. 

Is this about the standard Gore Pilgrims with Mortals only list? I hvent got any flesh hounds or bloodletters at all. 

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer (100)
- Artefact: Gorecleaver  
Bloodstoker (80)
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (120)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne  
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
1 x Khorgoraths (90)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (200)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Is this about the standard Gore Pilgrims with Mortals only list?

Looks pretty damn good as a Mortals list. The Skullreapers and Blood Warriors really benefit from that Deathbringer command as an assault force.

Many people prefer downgrading the Aspiring Deathbringer to the 80pt version, though, and upgrading the combat lord to a more mobile Juggerlord. You may also consider reducing your drops by converting the Khorgie into another Reaver unit that can fit into the battalion, but I think that leaves some wasted points. He's a good little monster.

This is all kinda "to taste" though. I love the Mighty Lord despite his slowness, and his unbinding is most welcome.

• Like 2

Yep pretty good looking list right there although I would definitely consider Roark's comments.

My two cents would be that if you are running Gore Pilgrims, its best to max it out with all 3 Priests. Otherwise you are missing out on another 6" range for the banner, plus another re-rollable Bloodboil/Killing Frenzy attempt. Each Priest is a huge force multiplier and given the abilities are built into the high cost of the battalion, I feel that you miss out if you dont take all 3. Getting the banner range to 30" is key for shutting down your opponent's magic as their casters will often be in range from turn 1 which is huge. 

Well you guys raise good points and originally I did in fact have a Juggerlord. 

Theres pros and cons to all of it. It’s difficult to decide. 

The problem is who I cut for the 3rd Priest. The Bloodstoker is so useful for getting the Skullreapers where they need to go and helping them survive rerolling wounds of 1. 

On the other hand the Juggerlord adds in general +1 to wound rolls which is also super good for them. 

However another Slaughterpriest is another buff and another source for mortal wounds. 

Bloodreavers would drop my count, but the Khorgorath is just straight up good. In my experience. 

Losing an Aspiring Deathbringer is another +1 attack my Blood Warriors or Skullreapers aren’t getting as well. 

Its like all super good advice, but the Mighty Lord also buffs charging so he’s really useful and well Killy too. 

I don’t know what to do :(

The only thing you can do; Play, assess, make change, play again!

You may find it works perfectly well as is for the way you play. Or you might find that extra 6" range on the banner would have been crucial.

You may find the Mighty Lord of Khorne underwhelming, or he may win games for you as his axe cuts a swathe through the hardiest opposing Hero/Monster. 

As you said, easiest swap out for a 3rd Priest is the Aspiring Deathbringer or the Mighty Lord. I would keep the Bloodstoker as he is too valuable. 

Mighty Lord would be my choice as the axe is dicey and you may not need his ability to make your charges whereas there are very few scenarios where the Aspiring's +1 attack isnt warranted.

If you made that change the list would be at 1970. You could then drop the Reavers down from 20 to 10 and you have exactly 100 points to play with for another 5 Blood Warriors or Khorgorath! 

Sorry, my tinkering with lists is endless!

• Like 1

hey all.

just wondering for some advice on my list

heroes:

bloodsecrator- 140

slaughterpriest (killing frenzy)- 100

slaughterpriest ( killing frenzy) - 100

bloodstoker- 80

wrath of khorne bloodthirster (general, immense power, deathdealer for additional 2 damage per hit)- 330

bray shaman- 100 (allies)

units

30x bloodletters- 320

30x bloodletters- 320

30x bloodletters- 320

khorgorath- 90

endless spells

cogs- 60

1 command point-50

On 10/25/2018 at 10:57 PM, Ravinsild said:

Is this about the standard Gore Pilgrims with Mortals only list? I hvent got any flesh hounds or bloodletters at all. 

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (140)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer (100)
- Artefact: Gorecleaver  
Bloodstoker (80)
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (120)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne  
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 

Battleline
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
1 x Khorgoraths (90)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (200)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146

Hey Ravinsild,

I also play (largely) mortal khorne and have been enjoying (local) success. But I also went to a recent UK tournament and beat Legions of Nagash and Seraphon.

I posted the build a couple of pages back and it's v similar to what you've got here.

I actually think double slaughterpriest is enough - Gore Pilgrims is already a lot of points taken away from your front-lines and I'm not sure the 3rd priest adds a whole lot. 

Skullreapers have been fantastic in the games I've run them in, particularly combined with the Killing frenzies. 

I'll give another +1 for the Jugger lord over the mighty lord. He's tough, fast and his +1 to wound command trait is better than the mighty lord's IMO - esp since you got the bloodstoker to make sure that charge you want will happen. 

I've not tried my Asp Deathbringer - and he should be cool with what you got. I will say though that Skarr Bloodwrath is a fantastic little piece, since you can throw him into your opponent, then he's pretty likely to come back, and if he does so in your opponents battleshock phase, you can pop him up behind them, then summon around him.

My Hero slots ( for my mortal list) are filled with:

• Daemon Prince (could swap for jugger lord)
  • Skarr
  • Stoker
  • Secrator
  • Priest
  • Priest

I've been playing with a block of 40 marauders w/flails + shields recently, and they've been amazing. battleshock immune makes them tough to chew though - and if you double killing frenzy them, then roll a 3+ before they pile in, you a get them hitting on 2's (rerolling 1's with the banner) - then they can really blend through stuff. 25mm bases FTW.

I managed to charge a unit of 30 grimghast the other day with them, and killed the whole unit in one go. (they came back next turn >:( ) - but if they can do 30 wounds to a 4+ save unit, that should give you an impression of how dangerous they can be!

5 hours ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

Hey Ravinsild,

I also play (largely) mortal khorne and have been enjoying (local) success. But I also went to a recent UK tournament and beat Legions of Nagash and Seraphon.

I posted the build a couple of pages back and it's v similar to what you've got here.

I actually think double slaughterpriest is enough - Gore Pilgrims is already a lot of points taken away from your front-lines and I'm not sure the 3rd priest adds a whole lot. 

Skullreapers have been fantastic in the games I've run them in, particularly combined with the Killing frenzies. 

I'll give another +1 for the Jugger lord over the mighty lord. He's tough, fast and his +1 to wound command trait is better than the mighty lord's IMO - esp since you got the bloodstoker to make sure that charge you want will happen. 

I've not tried my Asp Deathbringer - and he should be cool with what you got. I will say though that Skarr Bloodwrath is a fantastic little piece, since you can throw him into your opponent, then he's pretty likely to come back, and if he does so in your opponents battleshock phase, you can pop him up behind them, then summon around him.

My Hero slots ( for my mortal list) are filled with:

• Daemon Prince (could swap for jugger lord)
  • Skarr
  • Stoker
  • Secrator
  • Priest
  • Priest

I've been playing with a block of 40 marauders w/flails + shields recently, and they've been amazing. battleshock immune makes them tough to chew though - and if you double killing frenzy them, then roll a 3+ before they pile in, you a get them hitting on 2's (rerolling 1's with the banner) - then they can really blend through stuff. 25mm bases FTW.

I managed to charge a unit of 30 grimghast the other day with them, and killed the whole unit in one go. (they came back next turn >:( ) - but if they can do 30 wounds to a 4+ save unit, that should give you an impression of how dangerous they can be!

What’s amazing is that I have ALL of these things... except 40 marauders... 

Oh I also don’t have a demon prince atm. I have nothing from generic chaos/slaves to darkness yet, everything is wholly Khorne. 

Edited by Ravinsild
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

I've only been running two Priests lately as well, and it's been fine. It allows you to mix things up a bit, like having two scary guys, or amping the Mortals up with a Deathbringer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roark said:

I've only been running two Priests lately as well, and it's been fine. It allows you to mix things up a bit, like having two scary guys, or amping the Mortals up with a Deathbringer.

If you only take 2 Slaughterpriests, you have a slot free to take Skarr. Great value for money, and he can generate quite a bit of Blood Tithe!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Killax said:

Lots of options are around, personally can see the pros and cons of 3 Slaughterpriests in Gore Pilgrims but it depends on the whole list context. I'm personally not that huge on the Daemon Prince :) 

Cheers!

I’ve been um’ing and ah’ing about the DP too. But he’s cheap, fast and hits quite hard. Gives me a source of -2 rend, and lets me use immense power.

otherwise i’m Finding I don’t really have a good place for my warlord trait.

i was running him with the sword of judgement (which combo’s well with his natural +1 to hit) 

But I’m gonna try him with doppelgänger cos I think that could make him really useful and counteract his fragility.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 10:24 PM, Ravinsild said:

Well you guys raise good points and originally I did in fact have a Juggerlord. 

Theres pros and cons to all of it. It’s difficult to decide. 

The problem is who I cut for the 3rd Priest. The Bloodstoker is so useful for getting the Skullreapers where they need to go and helping them survive rerolling wounds of 1. 

On the other hand the Juggerlord adds in general +1 to wound rolls which is also super good for them. 

However another Slaughterpriest is another buff and another source for mortal wounds. 

Bloodreavers would drop my count, but the Khorgorath is just straight up good. In my experience. 

Losing an Aspiring Deathbringer is another +1 attack my Blood Warriors or Skullreapers aren’t getting as well. 

Its like all super good advice, but the Mighty Lord also buffs charging so he’s really useful and well Killy too. 

I don’t know what to do :(

I think an allied chaos sorcerer lord is better than the juggerlord and the stoker.  He can turn a solid unit of bloodwarriors or skull reapers into a powerhouse with daemonic power, and he gets to give another unit a free no cast mystic shield.  We are pretty hero starved in the gore pilgrims battalion though.  It's only drawback.  3rd priest is nice to have also.

Personally I like 3 priests but I can see the merit in just 2. One option is also the shrine which can take a blessing plus has a prayer. It won't get the rerolls and there is some offensive power lost for the unit it is replacing but it's a good option. I have had some good games where it supports a jugger lord.

14 hours ago, Iquitelikeegg said:

I’ve been um’ing and ah’ing about the DP too. But he’s cheap, fast and hits quite hard. Gives me a source of -2 rend, and lets me use immense power.

I think he's awesome for those of us who are sometimes gun-shy about putting a lot of eggs into one Bloodthirster basket.

And yes, the Malign Artefacts give us some awesome options for a guy with two melee weapons (and Immense Power).

The native +1 to hit is great for Sword of Judgement, as you already noted, but you can also just build a super scary mobile character with Runic Blade who can attack anyone, not just chars and monsters. In a Gore Pilgrims list, he'll have:

5 3 3 -2 Dmg1d3+1

4 3 3 -3 Dmg3

Way better than a WoK Thirster in combat (albeit that the WoK Thirster has many other things going on!). I'm a huge fan. Don't even mind terribly if he dies at 160pts.

• Thanks 2

I tried this list, base on summoning and counter attacks with mongers. It was a lot of fun. You have a lot of units you don't care to lose, most valuable one your can hide behind tons of screen. Tough units that will come to you are going to suffer a lot from mongers. Especially it was fun, when Nagash is actually capable to kill himself. But zombie dragon with 3++ is not so easy target even for himself. 

p3OGA4-mEow.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 3:18 PM, Revan123 said:

I tried this list

That's a very unorthodox list but, yeah, I can see the merits for sure. Great summoning, horde clearance and anti-monster/supercharacter. And a Skullreaper unit for all-purpose killing.

You didn't really take Goreglaives on those 5 man Blood Warrior units though right? ;-)