AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, Coyote said:

Game today - Please help  me avoid opponents Sniping my characters -

My last game My opponent sniped my characters- out of the game by turn 2 - primarily using spells.  

My first question is how do you avoid having characters sniped out of the game?

Second, because of the Sniping - I’m likely going to *bring 2 Bloodsecrators * - Is this an overreaction?

2 bloodsecrators are rare to see and expensive in terms of points and using up your hero limit.

Better to have 1 with the Brazen Rune, in cover and near a unit for maximum protection. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coyote said:

Game today - Please help  me avoid opponents Sniping my characters -

My last game My opponent sniped my characters- out of the game by turn 2 - primarily using spells.  

My first question is how do you avoid having characters sniped out of the game?

Second, because of the Sniping - I’m likely going to *bring 2 Bloodsecrators * - Is this an overreaction?

Wrath of Khorne bloodthirster dispels at +2.  There are a number of artifacts that make you practically immune to spells.  You can spend blood tithe points to stop a spell.

• Like 1

@CoyoteUse maxed out Gore Pilgrims to extend the range of the bloodsecrator. Rerolling successfull casts will cause him to fail the odd spell, and any he does get through you have a chance to unbind. Brazen Rune to protect the Bloodsecrator and dont be shy about using it up for an auto unbind. Dont forget the auto unbind via 2 bloodtithe points as well.  Scattered flesh hounds can help unbind provided he isnt getting bonuses to cast.

On 10/20/2018 at 2:32 AM, Bjornas said:

So in my continued search for good looking alternatives to the Khorgorath I came across these. My army is more neutral/oldscool themed too. Their size is a bit hard to tell, especially without the base, but what do you think? Would you have a problem with it in a friendly game or laidback tournament?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-SE/The-Wolf-kin-of-Russ

I used Scylla for one of mine. He was failcast so I could adjust his pose simply using some hot water.

On 10/20/2018 at 4:33 PM, Overtyrant of Destruction said:

Thank you! I was unsure when it says "a" as sometimes it means "any" rather than "one" or some like that. But all right, thanks! :)

Yep, they continue to be awesome, this is why I like the unit so much.
Offcourse Wrathmongers do require you to at least have a good grasp of tactical context but when applied well they are amazing.
Well worth the 180 points anytime.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:45 PM, Manticore92 said:

Hi folks, quick couple of questions for you.

Do you prefer paired axes or gorefists on blood warriors? 

Are meatripper axes worth considering on bloodreavers? 

Currently running 2 min units of each in gore pilgrims. 

My list remains very simple on that one, basically since the day I started BoK, though some things changed as costs did in GH and such :) :
- Slaughterpriest equipment, doesn't really matter as he isn't made for combat anyway.
- Blood Warriors, Goreaxes, fists are fun but only functional if you actually get an armour save to make. Which is a rarity to be fair and if your opponent have some anti armour it's likely to be focused on Blood Warriors anyway because we don't have amazing saves etc. elsewhere.
- Bloodreavers, Meatripper Axes, Rend.
- Skullreapers, Daemonblades and Soultearer, it might hurt them but you want them to be supported with a Bloodstoker anyway. 
- Mighty Skullcrushers, Bloodglaive, we can fix the to hit rolls, we can't add Rend.

Lastly some stuff that doesn't matter a whole lot but might for Skirmish or small battles.
- I prefer the Aspiring Deathbringer over the one with Goreaxe and Skullhammer. They both arn't great in combat etc. but their Command Ability is similar and thus 80 points is a whole lot more forgiving. Most of the time though a Bloodstoker should be picked over it.
- I prefer the Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear over the other Exalted Deathbringer. Again it's really not that big of a difference but in this edition it's easy to not have him be your general and 7 range 2" Rend Attacks basically beat the alternative for me.

Then , because it's a good question to ask, the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster is a great general, while the others arn't. Khorne doesn't shine in it's monsters too much so I usually don't go overboard with them in Khorne. Skarbrand is very good still, but needs to have some speed boosts too.
Hope this helped, cheers!

• Like 2

And also the beast is here! It's an epic model offcourse, in my opinion not really mend for gaming but fantastic for the ultimate Khorne fan for collection and display purposes.

99560201020_Vorgaroth01.jpg

I have to say, I think the dragon looks ace, but I do dislike the rider. Luckily it doesn't seem like it would be hard to convert another one, that makes more sence on top of an dragon.

What I do think is a petty is that the other one was discarded, in my opinion it looked way better as what we see now.
Gerelateerde afbeelding
VS
image.png.138aa63e597b1839108e01c7f8ccfa53.png

All in all though that is my one and only gripe with this model :) 

So if I where to get it I'd basically go for another rider on top, likely with a big shield and offcourse an axe.

Cheers!

Edited by Killax

Agreed, it's really odd something that will draw so much attention doesn't have a save against mortal wounds at least.  Also that first rider sculpt is ace, hope they salvage it for another model at some point.

So I'll ask my blood soaked brethren here for some summoning advice.  I've played pure mortals since I started AoS, love the look and feel and I don't ever plan to play tourneys so I know I can still do well with them at the casual level.  My question now is that since summoning is free, what units/unit sizes do you all recommend for summoning?  I've always planned on getting flesh hounds at some point but are there any other units you all find worth summoning?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gash Bauer said:

Agreed, it's really odd something that will draw so much attention doesn't have a save against mortal wounds at least.  Also that first rider sculpt is ace, hope they salvage it for another model at some point.

So I'll ask my blood soaked brethren here for some summoning advice.  I've played pure mortals since I started AoS, love the look and feel and I don't ever plan to play tourneys so I know I can still do well with them at the casual level.  My question now is that since summoning is free, what units/unit sizes do you all recommend for summoning?  I've always planned on getting flesh hounds at some point but are there any other units you all find worth summoning?

I nearly always summon either 5 / 10 man units of bloodletters or 5 man flesh hounds. I'm usually finding (since I'm not making use of the blood tithe generation of blood sacrifice) - I'm only getting my blood tithes for summoning by T3-T5, so at this point, I'm looking to screen out parts of the board, or secure my hold on objectives, for which the 2 point 5 man unit of letters is perfect!

If I actually want them to make a charge, then I find the 5 man (dog?) units of flesh hounds are great - though even then they're that reliable!

I also have a skullmaster (the jugger-herald) who has been pretty useful, for the same as 3 flesh-hounds, he's quite nice for those missions that require characters to hold objectives, and he can dish out 1 or 2 mortal wounds if you're lucky when it's needed too. 

I've never summoned anything larger than that in my games. I can't see a summoned bloodthirster being very useful, unless you can summon him T1 or T2

• Like 1

Just wanted to jump into the summoning discussion since I've built my army around it and really love the mechanic. I split my focus between summoning and having an OK assault force of Khorgs, Juggerlord, and Blood Warriors (going to also try out Skarr because every time he dies it's a blood point). My three Slaughterpriests have Blood Sacrifice and so does the Chaos Warshrine I use. Everything else is MSU Reavers with two Chaos Spawn for hopefully more points when they die.

Turn one in my last two games I managed to get four blood points. I use those to summon either Bloodletters or Heralds (depended on the mission). From there the blood starts really flowing. In my experience: if you have 8 blood points at the start of your hero phase, summon a Bloodthirster anywhere on the board and then build up blood in the rest of the phase. If you have less, get as many as you can and summon MSU Flesh Hounds and Bloodletters everywhere. Flooding the board with Flesh Hounds has done more for me than Bloodthirsters have because usually my Flesh Hounds make the charge when they arrive and their weight of attacks tends to whittle down the enemy while their two wounds each holds them still. The Flesh Hound footprint is also huge which makes it easy to zone areas of the map.

I haven't done anything really crazy yet like chaining Heralds around the enemy and dropping Flesh Hounds to surround them, or had 8 points at the top of my hero phase to drop a Bloodthirster somewhere scary, but the more I play it the more I love it. Needless to say the dice can really ****** you over if you don't roll well, but when you roll average or above average you can really get crazy. And by going MSU you guarantee points as long as you charge headfirst into the enemy.

• Like 2

Does anyone know the GT list that got 12th place? 

I’m curious to see what it was. 

Edit: Also how would you go about beating Slaneesh with their high rend and multiple minus to hit sources? What sort of army would you build to counter Slaneesh? Sadly I don’t have any demons except SKARBRAND & a Bloodthirster with the 2 handed axe. 

Edited by Ravinsild

Edit: Also how would you go about beating Slaneesh with their high rend and multiple minus to hit sources? What sort of army would you build to counter Slaneesh? Sadly I don’t have any demons except SKARBRAND & a Bloodthirster with the 2 handed axe. 

What provides these multiple minus to hit? And who are those units with high rend?

Edited by Revan123

13 minutes ago, Revan123 said:

What provides these multiple minus to hit? And who are those units with high rend?

He typically runs 3 units of Hellstriders and all units within 6” of the banner bearer get a -1 to hit and it stacks. 

Chaos Knights, Hellstriders, Keeper of Secrets mostly. -1 to -2 and they hurt on the charge. Actually I know the list he used last time. He said he’s changing it some but it’s mostly been variant iterations of the same thing. Also he has a Warlord Trait on the KoS that gives him -1 to hit and usually take Gryph Feather Charm for another -1 to hit. 

His list is usually something along the lines of this: 

Allegiance: Slaanesh
- Host: Seekers
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Keeper Of Secrets (260)
- General
- Trait: Allure of Slaanesh  
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Keeper Of Secrets (260)
Lord Of Slaanesh On Daemonic Mount(140)
Herald Of Slaanesh on Exalted Seeker Chariot (160)

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields
5 x Hellstriders Of Slaanesh (100)
- Claw spear & Shield
- Claw spear & Shield
- Claw spear & Shield

Units
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 188

I don’t know all the nitty gritty details about everything but that’s about the sum of it more or less. 

He typically runs 3 units of Hellstriders and all units within 6” of the banner bearer get a -1 to hit and it stacks. 

They don't stuck. There is still a word "any" in the rule about these Banners. Any means "one or more", so no stacking around here. So there is answer to your question how to beat them. 30 letters with 2 Killing Frenzy on them. Even with -1 to hit, two squads of them will be dead for sure. You just kill, die, summon more letters, not giving him to get his summoning points he needed, because models must stay alive for that

5 minutes ago, Revan123 said:

They don't stuck. There is still a word "any" in the rule about these Banners. Any means "one or more", so no stacking around here. So there is answer to your question how to beat them. 30 letters with 2 Killing Frenzy on them. Even with -1 to hit, two squads of them will be dead for sure. You just kill, die, summon more letters, not giving him to get his summoning points he needed, because models must stay alive for that

There’s only one problem with that. 

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

Sadly I don’t have any demons except SKARBRAND & a Bloodthirster with the 2 handed axe. 

Would it work with... 30 Bloodreavers instead? Lol

Edited by Ravinsild

14 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Would it work with... 30 Bloodreavers instead? Lol

Actully yes, it does. Because Slaanesh is  the same glass cannon. With -1 to hit axes even knights are going to have bad times with 120 attacks from reavers. The only problem that they are on 32 mm instead of 25 mm like marouders, so mostly 40 attacks per phase mostly. That is why I rejected tactics with them, choosing blood warriors instead and make them tanky

Edited by Revan123

1 hour ago, Revan123 said:

Actully yes, it does. Because Slaanesh is  the same glass cannon. With -1 to hit axes even knights are going to have bad times with 120 attacks from reavers. The only problem that they are on 32 mm instead of 25 mm like marouders, so mostly 40 attacks per phase mostly. That is why I rejected tactics with them, choosing blood warriors instead and make them tanky

Well I have 60+ Bloodreavers and 73 Blood Warriors.