AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 hours ago, Roark said:

Simple philosophy behind this list: multiple threats and some redundancy to keep the blood flowing.

The only changes I'm currently thinking about are a second Secrator so I can move/stagger the Portal up the field.

Feels super weird to not have a Stoker, but I still wiped the floor with the shooty Freeguild and Seraphon, so I'm gonna keep testing it. Triple scary guys is so much fun.

I'd want a bloodstoker for reroll wounds on the reapers and extra run/charge for bloodletters.

I feel like the lone slaughterpriest can be swapped out. If he can't re-roll his prayers with gore pilgrims then he won't be that reliable.

Edited by 123lac

Hi all, im late to the party but interested in starting both a mortals and daemon army but want to be clinical in my purchases and hobby time - too many examples of me spending fortunes on models/units that I never end up using. So with this said I want to buck my own trend and work out lists prior to purchasing so I would love your collective wisdom and input to suggest 2k lists? I quite like gore pilgrim and brass stampede for mortals and have 0 ideas around daemons. Any advice would be great cheers

• Like 1

For gore pilgrims one of the best places to start is the original starter set, which is now becoming a stand alone start collecting box.   You get a blood secrator,  20 blood reavers, 5 blood warriors and but then you get a couple of extra units that you'll probably not use

Playing some 750 pt games next week,  so this is the list i came up with:

Daemon prince with axe, wings, crimson crown and devastating blow 

10 bloodletters x 2

10 blood reavers 

Soul grinder 

I was definitely gonna take the soul grinder, so i ended up going with a daemon slant. Went with the daemon prince over the bloodsecrator, as i wasnt sure he would do enough for me in such a small game.

Any thoughts? 

• Like 1

Hi all khorne players that are going to the GT Final. The Crimson Crown will be played as:

rules as written, which in this case would be a roll of 6 after any modifiers are applied, meaning the number shown on the dice to trigger the ability will change.

This is just a heads up for players using it :)

9 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

10 bloodletters x 2

10 blood reavers 

Soul grinder 

I was definitely gonna take the soul grinder, so i ended up going with a daemon slant. Went with the daemon prince over the bloodsecrator, as i wasnt sure he would do enough for me in such a small game.

Any thoughts? 

In my experience, bloodreavers without a way to get extra attacks or battleshock immunity are pretty bad.

How many points do you have left over? I would probably try and drop them for something a bit more survivable.

That said, I haven't really played many games below 1000 so they might do ok

12 minutes ago, Retro said:

In my experience, bloodreavers without a way to get extra attacks or battleshock immunity are pretty bad.

How many points do you have left over? I would probably try and drop them for something a bit more survivable.

That said, I haven't really played many games below 1000 so they might do ok

I have 20 points left, not enough for Blood warriors unfortunately.  I'm just gonna use them as a screen, objective grabber and blood tithe so they don't need to be that good!

1 hour ago, mastercrafted said:

I have 20 points left, not enough for Blood warriors unfortunately.  I'm just gonna use them as a screen, objective grabber and blood tithe so they don't need to be that good!

Yeah, not much you can do with 90 points unfortunately, unless you start branching into slaves to darkness models.

Another option is a bloodstoker to get a little more reach on your bloodletting but to be honest I think you're better with the reavers.

Otherwise, I think your list looks decent, a soul grinder will be a beast in 750 points and so will the daemon prince.

If you have the model, a chaos lord on daemonic mount would be pretty good too, useless command ability for you but can still take the crown, hits hard, moves pretty fast and a bit more survivable than the daemon prince. Then you can swap the reavers for the blood warriors. If not, I don't think it would make a huge difference at 750!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan.Ford said:

Hi all khorne players that are going to the GT Final. The Crimson Crown will be played as:

rules as written, which in this case would be a roll of 6 after any modifiers are applied, meaning the number shown on the dice to trigger the ability will change.

This is just a heads up for players using it :)

You play with whatever rules are decided, but that  just wierd. Don't think GW ever made a rule like that, would think it should be 6+ or natural 6.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Retro said:

Yeah, not much you can do with 90 points unfortunately, unless you start branching into slaves to darkness models.

Another option is a bloodstoker to get a little more reach on your bloodletting but to be honest I think you're better with the reavers.

Otherwise, I think your list looks decent, a soul grinder will be a beast in 750 points and so will the daemon prince.

If you have the model, a chaos lord on daemonic mount would be pretty good too, useless command ability for you but can still take the crown, hits hard, moves pretty fast and a bit more survivable than the daemon prince. Then you can swap the reavers for the blood warriors. If not, I don't think it would make a huge difference at 750!

Yeah i been torn on taking blood warriors in the list, they're more survivable but bodies could be important for claiming an objective.  Tough desision

37 minutes ago, Silchas_Ruin said:

You play with whatever rules are decided, but that  just wierd. Don't think GW ever made a rule like that, would think it should be 6+ or natural 6.

Technically it's RAW and the FAQ that said to treat it as 6+ got deleted. It is strange though.

33 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

Yeah i been torn on taking blood warriors in the list, they're more survivable but bodies could be important for claiming an objective.  Tough desision

That's true, won't take long for someone to knock models out of your reavers though.

If reavers make 6 save rolls, that's 5 dead (average) and a lot will probably run.

If warriors make 6 save rolls, that's 3 wounds. 1 dead, 1 half health who might run away - they do cost more though

Edited by Retro

26 minutes ago, Retro said:

Technically it's RAW and the FAQ that said to treat it as 6+ got deleted. It is strange though.

That's true, won't take long for someone to knock models out of your reavers though.

If reavers make 6 save rolls, that's 5 dead (average) and a lot will probably run.

If warriors make 6 save rolls, that's 3 wounds. 1 dead, 1 half health who might run away - they do cost more though

Yeah makes sense. Bloodletters strike a nice balance then, with 10 bodies and a 5+ save and bravery 10 

17 hours ago, 123lac said:

feel like the lone slaughterpriest can be swapped out. If he can't re-roll his prayers with gore pilgrims then he won't be that reliable.

You saw the Shrine right? Having two cracks at Killing Frenzy is acceptable to me, but only one wouldn't be.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

What about a unit of 10 Chaos Hounds then? Larger screen, faster,...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

Thanks, i don't have any but i might have to look at getting some

older models though :S. Though I have been thinking about getting a brute. I really want a smaller larger (size -wise) army instead of this mass infantry i have.

Couple of character builds I'm messing around with:

1. Daemon Prince w/ Sword of Judgement

This guy is mobile and does 1d6 MW to chars and monsters for every hit roll of 5+. Killing Frenzy can make that a 4+ for extra pain. In a Gore Pilgrims list he'll almost always have 5 of these attacks (not to mention 4 dmg2 with his claws). Nice little assassin package for 160pts.

I'm pairing him with this guy (General):

2. Chaos lord on Daemonic Mount w/ Immense Power and Deathdealer. In a Gore Pilgrims list he'll usually have 5 attacks hitting on 3s (rerolling 1s) which do a mighty dmg4 each. His command buffs his posse of Chaos Knights, who also benefit a lot from the expanded Portal of Skulls (+10 attacks). He also provides a handy Locus for Letterbombs, has a 5+ MW save, and has Look out, Sir!. Difficult to ignore with dmg4, but also not trivial to kill. 

Can go Gorecleaver instead for rend-2 dmg3.

1 hour ago, Roark said:

This guy is mobile and does 1d6 MW to chars and monsters for every hit roll of 5+. Killing Frenzy can make that a 4+ for extra pain. In a Gore Pilgrims list he'll almost always have 5 of these attacks (not to mention 4 dmg2 with his claws). Nice little assassin package for 160pts.

2. Chaos lord on Daemonic Mount w/ Immense Power and Deathdealer. In a Gore Pilgrims list he'll usually have 5 attacks hitting on 3s (rerolling 1s) which do a mighty dmg4 each. His command buffs his posse of Chaos Knights, who also benefit a lot from the expanded Portal of Skulls (+10 attacks). He also provides a handy Locus for Letterbombs, has a 5+ MW save, and has Look out, Sir!. Difficult to ignore with dmg4, but also not trivial to kill. 

I've been thinking about running a winged prince as the general with a nice trait + artefact and pairing him up with valkia.  She's a lot faster but they both fly.  With the right items and traits on the prince that pair can get somewhere fast and do mucho damage.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

I've been thinking about running a winged prince as the general with a nice trait + artefact and pairing him up with valkia.  She's a lot faster but they both fly.  With the right items and traits on the prince that pair can get somewhere fast and do mucho damage.  

Yeah, the Daemon Prince is a great platform for Immense Power because he has two melee weapons... We never used to give it to him because he doesn't have a command ability, but problem solved with AoS2.0.

• Like 2

Hey guys - new(ish) AOS player here, but veteran wargamer (40k mostly) - and a long time lurker on this thread!
I played my first tournament yesterday (Angelcore in the UK) - with my BoK army! Sadly, I've had to drop day 2 but I had a lot of fun and was very pleased to go 2-1 with my Mortal khorne army.

I think I was the only person with khorne there - so that probably says something.

Here's the list!

Leader. Daemon Prince <GENERAL>

Daemonic Axe, CLAW (SWORD) OF JUDGEMENT

+++ IMMENSE POWER +++

Leader. Skarr Bloodwrath

Leader. Bloodstoker

Leader. Bloodsecrator 

THE BRAZEN RUNE

<GORE PILGRIMS>

Leader. Slaughterpriest

<GORE PILGRIMS>

Bloodbathed Axe

KILLING FRENZY

Leader. Slaughterpriest

<GORE PILGRIMS>

Hackblade, Wrathhammer

KILLING FRENZY

Battleline. Blood Reavers (10)

<GORE PILGRIMS>

Meatripper Axe

Battleline. Blood Warriors (5)

<GORE PILGRIMS>

Goreaxe, Gore Fist

Battleline. Blood Warriors (5)

<GORE PILGRIMS>

Goreaxe, Gore Fist

Other. Skullreapers (5)

Daemon Blades, Spine Cleaver, Vicious Mutation

Other. Skullreapers (5)

Other. Skullreapers (5)

Other. Wrathmongers (5)

Other. Khorgoraths (1)

Other. Khorgoraths (1)

Warscroll Battalion. Gore Pilgrims 

it's a fairly standard Gore pilgrims-based Mortals list. And to @Roark's point the DP with the SoJ is absolutely fantastic - though I will add that I like it better on the claw - cos the Axe is a better backup weapon with the -2 rend, and combined with immense power - that guy is a beast!

During my games though I did notice a few issues with the army's ability to play certain scenarios (notwithstanding the lack of wizards which really hurts in AoS missions for some weird reason >:( ). Particularly ones which force you to move across the map, and ones which force me to spread my army across the length of the table, cos splitting up is not something the army does too well with. Also, the low model count is hurting in a few scenarios - such as focal points where those pesky 25mm armies just pack so many more in than I can!

At the moment I'm thinking about a few options to either increase mobility, or just "go horde" and I'd be interested in your opinions for BoK!

- 2 x 40 marauders (with flails and shields?) - 400 points in the allies slot - means I'd have to drop the DP + some other stuff to make room.

- Something else? with some pushing power? I used to run units of Khorne dogs - and I like them as a first punch - but they are very fragile.

Overall, I think it's quite telling that I was the only khorne player yesterday - there were more representations of the supreme lord of the undead. But there is definitely a lot of power in Khorne.

Top moment of yesterday - my double killing frenzy'd Skullreapers took out an ethereal amulet VLoZD in 1 turn :) :) 

Cheers!

• Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 11:07 AM, carrigher82 said:

Hi all, im late to the party but interested in starting both a mortals and daemon army but want to be clinical in my purchases and hobby time - too many examples of me spending fortunes on models/units that I never end up using. So with this said I want to buck my own trend and work out lists prior to purchasing so I would love your collective wisdom and input to suggest 2k lists? I quite like gore pilgrim and brass stampede for mortals and have 0 ideas around daemons. Any advice would be great cheers

You can't really go wrong with Gore Pilgrims my man! However I would also say that generally speaking the Daemons will come in eventually.

For 2K Gore Pilgrims you basically want:
3x Slaughterpriest (pick whichever you like most in terms of looks, they arnt made for fighting)
1x Bloodsecrator
1-2x Bloodstoker
(Most of the time you'll also want to get a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster somewhere down your hobby path and convert a Bloodmaster, the latter for summonning reasons)

10x Blood Warriors
20-40x Bloodreavers
30-60x Bloodletters
5-10x Fleshhounds, for summonning purposes :) 

5x Wrathmongers
(5-10x Skullreapers)...

However top down, this is really the core where you want to start at. So the start collecting is a nice start, if you can pick up the Battleforce, that's a great start also! I'd generally say start out with Wrathmongers from that set but you can basically do whatever.

Khorne doesn't really have mistake buys, just units I'd skip, such as Bloodcrushers, Skullcannons and the cool smaller heroes of Bloodbound arn't extremely bad but generally don't warrant the Heroes slot if you want to go for a more competitive route. 

On 10/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, mastercrafted said:

10 bloodletters x 2

10 blood reavers 

Soul grinder 

Any thoughts? 

Monsters! I think it looks fun. I bascially stopped running my Daemon Prince because of Daemonic summons (including Heroes!) . 

How is the Soul Grinder working out for you?

7 hours ago, Roark said:

I like both set ups! I still am too much of a fanboy of the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster though :P