AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

@Killax I agree, but I'd still love a doombull general, just so I could paint him brass again!

However, the bray shaman as an ally with the devolve spell is brilliant - that could work for us Khorne armies so well forcing the enemy to come to us - imagine dragging a horde of witch elves close enough to you to charge and pulling them far enough away from that cauldron of blood at the same time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

@Killax I agree, but I'd still love a doombull general, just so I could paint him brass again!

However, the bray shaman as an ally with the devolve spell is brilliant - that could work for us Khorne armies so well forcing the enemy to come to us - imagine dragging a horde of witch elves close enough to you to charge and pulling them far enough away from that cauldron of blood at the same time.

Well you can certainly have it and I think the intention is for the book that those older Chaos marked Beasts of Chaos armies don't suddenly fall of the shelf... Basically.

I think that the Bray Shaman is great also, I also think that because of that it's actually lorewise more accurate to just stick to BoC Allegiance too. As it would make less of an akward situation (for me) to include Bray Shamans to an army that is Khorne alligned but not ****** a devoted Khorne army... If that makes any sence to you ;) 

Dragging and pulling certainly is awesome! :P Slaughterpriests can confirm how neato it is to draw your opponent in ;) 

4 minutes ago, Killax said:

Well you can certainly have it and I think the intention is for the book that those older Chaos marked Beasts of Chaos armies don't suddenly fall of the shelf... Basically.

I think that the Bray Shaman is great also, I also think that because of that it's actually lorewise more accurate to just stick to BoC Allegiance too. As it would make less of an akward situation (for me) to include Bray Shamans to an army that is Khorne alligned but not ****** a devoted Khorne army... If that makes any sence to you ;) 

Dragging and pulling certainly is awesome! :P Slaughterpriests can confirm how neato it is to draw your opponent in ;) 

yea, Bray shaman will always be a priest to me! far too feral and primitive to be a scroll reading wizard - don't care what the keyword says! :D

The other cool allies are the cygors, huge potential to start shutting down magic phases for opponents, in combination with out anti magic bits and prices,  and the thrown rock at a wizard is always nice.

8 hours ago, Bululu said:

Does anyone have a couple of solid tips about beating heavy summoning seraphon lists?, been a slow army i have problems trying to kill the slann, meanwhile the teleports wrecks havoc on objective stealing. Thanks in advance.

Give Gore Pilgrims a try, with a decently heavier focus on Bloodbound as a result. Slaughterpriests add a nice/decent control game too. Pulling.

8 hours ago, Daggoth said:

One question. 

Can U pile in 6'' from the Unfettered fury Command Ability without charging? f.e. - if I move into the 4'' range of the enemy and I am within his CA aura - can I still pile in into combat?

You can pile in while you are within 3" of an enemy model or charged :) So if you just move in range you can apply it if your 3" near enemy models.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bululu said:

Does anyone have a couple of solid tips about beating heavy summoning seraphon lists?, been a slow army i have problems trying to kill the slann, meanwhile the teleports wrecks havoc on objective stealing. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried Valkia or maybe a winged prince with a nice artifact and maybe command trait?  Sayl can be allied in as well to drop a heavy hitting unit in his backyard.  

11 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Have you tried Valkia or maybe a winged prince with a nice artifact and maybe command trait?  Sayl can be allied in as well to drop a heavy hitting unit in his backyard.  

Another option could be Blood Hunt, with the WoK BT to reach a specific oppossing hero, profided there is enough space for his base.

But in general I'd still say Seraphon isn't easy to beat. We do have some good magic disruption tools however.

• Like 1

Played a nagash spell portal list for the first time last night, and i have a couple of questions.

1. If nagash fails to cast or i unbind a spell, can he attempt again? I'm still not 100% on how magic works, being a khorne player 

2. Do spell portals need to be physically placed? Ie. Surround my heroes with bodies so they can't place the portals within 3" of them

10 hours ago, Killax said:

Another option could be Blood Hunt, with the WoK BT to reach a specific oppossing hero, profided there is enough space for his base.

But in general I'd still say Seraphon isn't easy to beat. We do have some good magic disruption tools however.

Also stuff like lens of refraction,  allied cygor, karanak, MLoK, riptooth, regular flesh hounds, lots of options to shut down his magic phase on top of the always included bloodsecrator and slaughterpriests!

Cygor and karanak reflect mortal wounds on dispel.  WoK bloodthirster gets +2.  Lens of refraction just cuts out spell damage in a bubble.   What other goodies are there? 

Edited by Kevlar1972
Additional info
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

I've had a lot of forays into chaos, namely with Tzeentch but also had little plays around with other gods in my quest to become the true undivided force I dream of ;) (I do plan to eventually pick up archaon and branch into everchosen). And khorne is one army I haven't played around too much with but thanks to the wonders of the old starter set I do currently own some bloodbound! (Minus the khorgorath as I sold him to a friend a while back, though converting one up could be interesting should I decide to)

I have a couple of cool conversion ideas I want to try out which I think would work best for Khorne so I'm trying to put together an idea of a list. I'd like it to include Valkia the Bloody as I quite like her and I'm thinking of converting up some Khinarae into basically being a squad of shieldmaidens flying around with her (They'd likely count as marauder horsemen with javelins as that's the only thing I can really see fitting the conversion). I already own a lot of slaves to darkness that I'm trying to paint up to be more or less undivided in scheme so I can use them a lot and would ideally like to make them the bulk of my force just to save on space. 

Anyway current things I have access to:

-Bloodsecrator
-Bloodpriest with ball and chain
-Valkia the bloody (kitbash)
-Mighty Lord of Khorne
-5 Blood Warriors with Axe & Gorefist
-20 Blood reavers with reaver blades
-Khorne Lord on Juggernaut

-Chaos Lord
-Darkoath Warqueen
-2 Demon princes (though only 1 would really work for khorne)
-A variety of chaos spawn
-10 Chaos Warriors with sword & shield
-10 Chaos Warriors with halberd
-10 Chaos Warriors with greatblades
-12 chaos warriors with dual hand weapons that I'd planned on converting into more greatblade ones.
-5 Chaos knights with Glaive
-2 Chaos knights with Ensorcelled weapon
-8 Unbuilt Chaos Knights
-Warshrine (cool conversion from a friend, would love to use it)

Lots of demons that my dad has including 2 bloodthirsters. One WoK and one with the big 2 handed axe. We're also both starting looking at beasts of chaos as we already had some dragon ogres and gors lying around.

I'm thinking since Valkia is kinda fast that a cavalry based force might work? Going heavy on the knights with possibly some blood warriors and chaos warriors to trail behind to grab objectives? Bloodsecrator is a given for his buffs and Warshrine could be nice for the buffs it gives. Possibly get some flesh hounds to keep up with the knights and help upset wizards? Likely a unit of Wrathmongers as well for the buffs though if it's a fast force they may be of less use as may not get into position. I've fought a lot against khorne lists at my club that generally use blood warriors or reavers and rely on weight of attacks or toughness to get through. I wouldn't mind doing something a bit different than blood warrior slog :p But I'm open to ideas, our club generally ranges from more casual to semi competitive but none of us build lists that would be considered tournament level or 'meta' really.

Problem I have with the faster units is you lose a lot of the buff synergy.  Khorne can really stack some +attack and +hit buffs but you need to keep everything in pretty tight formation.  Aspiring deathbringer command ability is +1 attack,  blood secrator portal is +1 attack, wrathmongers give +1 attack.  The totem buff from warshrine and blood secrator gives bloodreavers +1 attack.  Banner of rage will let you reroll 1s or all misses if you already reroll 1s (reavers and warriors with paired weapons).

Those buffs are great, and combined with blood warriors ability to attack when removed means they can pump out some serious damage even if they get charged.

Unfortunately fast units will quickly outpace most buffs.  Which makes gore pilgrims all the more powerful since you can effectively cover most of the table with portal of skulls if you boost it with 3x priests.  But then you are a bit hero starved.  Luckily you can summon some nice daemon heroes pretty quickly with blood sacrifice. 

Taking all minimal sized units also ups the blood tithe, and to me seems better than the small point discount or the ability to add a glaive to your warriors.  The reavers and warriors don't gain any  buffs for larger unit size either.

Just now, Kevlar1972 said:

Problem I have with the faster units is you lose a lot of the buff synergy.  Khorne can really stack some +attack and +hit buffs but you need to keep everything in pretty tight formation.  Aspiring deathbringer command ability is +1 attack,  blood secrator portal is +1 attack, wrathmongers give +1 attack.  The totem buff from warshrine and blood secrator gives bloodreavers +1 attack.  Banner of rage will let you reroll 1s or all misses if you already reroll 1s (reavers and warriors with paired weapons).

Those buffs are great, and combined with blood warriors ability to attack when removed means they can pump out some serious damage even if they get charged.

Unfortunately fast units will quickly outpace most buffs.  Which makes gore pilgrims all the more powerful since you can effectively cover most of the table with portal of skulls if you boost it with 3x priests.  But then you are a bit hero starved.  Luckily you can summon some nice daemon heroes pretty quickly with blood sacrifice. 

Taking all minimal sized units also ups the blood tithe, and to me seems better than the small point discount or the ability to add a glaive to your warriors.  The reavers and warriors don't gain any  buffs for larger unit size either.

You make a very good point actually! Which means that perhaps my best bet will be looking at lots of small units of warriors and reavers and focus on getting blood tithes for summoning demons and other affects. Could still see a couple of knight units working nicely, perhaps sitting behind my warriors and then charging out once the foot guys hold something up so they can still be in buff range. The marauder horsemen (khinerai) could be good for harassing, throwing their javelins over my lines and such. Or for screening valkia whilst she goes hero hunting.  But I am totally aware of how useful blood warriors attacking when they die ability is!

Though I would have thought reavers work better in larger units so they can survive enough to get all their attacks in?

4 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

Though I would have thought reavers work better in larger units so they can survive enough to get all their attacks in?

Reavers die in droves.  Taking min sized units means you won't lose too many at one time.  One unit of 10 dies, you have 10 more close by to counterattack with. 

I like to put warriors up front to absorb charges supported by wrathmongers and aspiring deathbringer.  Then spread out the priests in the middle all in 8" range of bloodsecrator.  Then some units of reavers in the back to guard the rear since they get the totem buff.  The reavers also make great sacrifices since 70pts of reavers can turn into 5-10 blood tithe depending on mortal wound rolls.

9 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Warriors need the 10 man size for goreglaive access if you want accessto it.

I can't recommend the Goreglaive enough, always take at least a unit of ten for one.

While we are sort of on the topic of +1 to attack buffs and the Aspiring Deathbringer, which do you all recommend?  Is the pile in after failed morale worth the 20 extra points over the classic model version?

Additionally, if one felt they didn't have the best anti-horde presence, would Skarr be a solid option in the end?

1 hour ago, Gash Bauer said:

I can't recommend the Goreglaive enough, always take at least a unit of ten for one.

While we are sort of on the topic of +1 to attack buffs and the Aspiring Deathbringer, which do you all recommend?  Is the pile in after failed morale worth the 20 extra points over the classic model version?

Additionally, if one felt they didn't have the best anti-horde presence, would Skarr be a solid option in the end?

I don't think he brings enough to the table, 5 attacks at dmg 1 and no command ability, can't take any artifacts.  His special ability is very situational and probably not as good as an aspiring deathbringer buffing a unit or two.  Considering bloodwarriors with 4-5 attacks and wrathmongers attacking from behind them are pretty decent anti-horde.    I was running karanak but thinking about changing out for a winged daemon prince of khorne.  With devastating blow and mark of the slayer he can buff the daemons when they get summoned, and do a little hero hunting.  With sword he'd be hitting on 2+ rerolling 1s.  And rerolling 1s for all the other daemons nearby.

On 9/21/2018 at 5:26 PM, Mikeymajq said:

"The khorgaraths end up grinding ten chainrasps into ectoplasm and 4 more decide they would rather not be fighting a giant pissed off monkey demon that collects  skulls and book it for shyish to make it for tea time.

That part made me chuckle. Also Inever realized the giant monkey daemon look and now I can't unsee it xD

Funny he says giant monkey daemon...

I've converted Scylla into a Korgi ?

• Haha 1

So thinking a list for 1000 points:

Heroes:
-Valkia the bloody - 140
-Bloodsecrator - 140 - General

Units:
Blood Warriors (5) Goreaxe & Fist - 100 (only B-warriors I have currently)
Chaos Warriors (10) Greatblades - 180 (adds in some rend, should be nice with secrator attack buff)
Marauder Horsemen (5) Javelins & Shields, Damned Icon - 90
Blood Reavers (10) Reaver blades - 70
Blood Reaers (10) Rever blades - 70
Chaos Spawn - 50

Behemoth:
Chaos Warshrine - 160

1000/1000 points

In theory it gives me some good tough frontline, some disposable reavers to also pump out lots of attacks. Fast moving horsemen to accompany valkia or nab objectives. Hit buffs from the shrine and extra attacks from the secrator. Obviously not the most competitive of lists but looks like it could be fun in a friendly game and feels like a solid core to start learning with. Can easily drop the spawn for an extra command point in some games. Or eventually drop the spawn and replace the warriors with blood warriors for some weight of attacks.

Huh, just noticed Tzaangors are brayherd allegiance.  I am thinking a unit of skyfires and a shaman on disk would make an interesting khorne ally.  Give us some fast moving long range character snipers.

I already have a pretty big Tzeentch and Nurgle force from before the books dropped.  I was just playing a Chaos daemon army under the grand alliance.  So I have plenty of potential allies laying around.  They just won't get any synergy from the khorne characters.

Edited by Kevlar1972
addition