AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Saw an interesting post on the BoK facebook group.

Basically, GW seem to be moving their rules writing towards having mortal wound effects being incurred on 'unmodified rolls of 6'. 

If this style of rule writing impacts BoK then we can expect bloodletters to no longer deal mortal wounds on 4's or lower, regardless of how many +to hit buffs they have applied.

Assuming this does happen in the future, how do you think BoK will perform in the competitive meta?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 123lac said:

Basically, GW seem to be moving their rules writing towards having mortal wound effects being incurred on 'unmodified rolls of 6'. 

If this style of rule writing impacts BoK then we can expect bloodletters to no longer deal mortal wounds on 4's or lower, regardless of how many +to hit buffs they have applied.

Assuming this does happen in the future, how do you think BoK will perform in the competitive meta?

My feeling is GW got a bit carried away with Mortal Wounds as part of the game. They've used it as a lazy way to make armies competitive, which has led to an inflation of Mortal Wound-causing abilities in the game in general. 

Hopefully they're trying to address this now, although they should've been more pro-active with it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 123lac said:

Not just mortal wounds on a hard 6.  The new books have most abilities trigger on a hard 6.  Also units have to be "wholly within" a set distance for buffs so no daisy chaining a couple models for extra attacks or buffs.  This will affect certain builds, especially the bloodletter bomb.  It will be difficult to buff 30 models on 32mm bases and even buffed they will only deal mortal wounds on a 6.  Assuming the older books get errata to match the new books.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 4:57 PM, Oreaper84 said:

Also I want to play with a Daemon Prince (Khorne marked and with axe) as my general......

Crimson crown is nice....command trait is to taste....this you will have to play around with

hope this helps!

On 9/4/2018 at 7:32 PM, Praecautus said:

I've run immense power and crown on my prince and then just let him fly around splaying things. Kinda fun ?

Doppelganger cloak is another item to consider

On 9/7/2018 at 10:43 PM, Mikeymajq said:

Immense power and the uh.. amulet that gives him an 8" reroll 1's to hit. And 1's to wound if he charges is what I run. I did 9 wounds with the axe and just gibbed my opponents SC general. Didn't even get to use my talons the whole game. Plus the amulet buffs your other units too which is great.

Thank you very much, guys! I ran him with Immense Power and Mark of the Slayer and I killed Vandus Hammerhand  in one turn on Saturday, dealing 8 damage with the axe alone.

Another question for everyone here in this topic, how do you protect your Bloodsecrator against ranged missle attacks and abilities? Last game against Stormcasts he got killed in the first turn with just the Celestar Ballista and Vandus Hammerhand's Storm Breath ability. Of course he got a bit lucky with his rolls, but there was no terrain in my deployment zone that was high enough to cover my Bloodsecrator fully.

Should I bring tall terrain and place it in my deployment zone? What if my opponent disagrees? Would this be considered rude?

Edited by JetBlackSVW
  • Like 1

Nice! Yeah mine never got to swing his talons last game I used him either. Most stuff melts to the axe, but the claws are a nice backup just in case ?

We don't play overly competetive here so mine kinda lives for most of the battle. But an artefact that makes him a bit tankier and/or hopefully get him in cover or outside LoS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetBlackSVW said:

Another question for everyone here in this topic, how do you protect your Bloodsecrator against ranged missle attacks and abilities? Last game against Stormcasts he got killed in the first turn with just the Celestar Ballista and Vandus Hammerhand's Storm Breath ability. Of course he got a bit lucky with his rolls, but there was no terrain in my deployment zone that was high enough to cover my Bloodsecrator fully.

Should I bring tall terrain and place it in my deployment zone? What if my opponent disagrees? Would this be considered rude?

Korgoraths are great for blocking LoS to a Bloodsecrator.

2 of them within a couple on inches of the Bloodsecrator can block almost all LoS to the front 180, positioned correctly of course.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hulksmash said:

Gor are straight battleline not just brayherd/beast of chaos battleline so they fill that quota too. It's essentially Beastmen w/Blood Tithe instead of herdstone summoning and a bit more aggressive bonuses. 

Interesting... Might see how a Brass Despoilers and Council of blood would work out.

If you were going to make as competitive as possible list that was primarily mortal khorne what would that list look like? Also what can khorne to do combat eel spam from deepkin other then just mob objectives and bend over?

I'm new to playing khorne in aos but i love the way bloodreavers look and thought the blood tithe abilities were really good.

I saw the gore pilgrims battalion was used a lot but in ghb2018 the price seems like alot, 200 points is alot of bodies your missing out on, then again i don't know how badly the army wants extra range on the skull portal and more reliable prayers.

37 minutes ago, JarekTheRed said:

If you were going to make as competitive as possible list that was primarily mortal khorne what would that list look like? Also what can khorne to do combat eel spam from deepkin other then just mob objectives and bend over?

I'm new to playing khorne in aos but i love the way bloodreavers look and thought the blood tithe abilities were really good.

I saw the gore pilgrims battalion was used a lot but in ghb2018 the price seems like alot, 200 points is alot of bodies your missing out on, then again i don't know how badly the army wants extra range on the skull portal and more reliable prayers.

I would say most lists would revolve around either gore pilgrims or brass stampede. Not to say other battalions are not worth it but they are certainly not as common.

I play gore pilgrims and I have to say that I love it. It brings many bonuses - command point, artefact, buffed secrator aura and rerolls to prayers. All of which I like and are well worth the 200 points. The extra range on the aura has 3 effects - immunity to battleshock so our troops don't run when they die (reavers die in droves), force reroll on prayers across most of the board, extra attack for everyone in range. All great ? 

For Idoneth - the attack eels are tough coupled with the mean deep strike. However they are a glass cannon and I think would struggle wit multiple small units - especially if you summon back more small units of blood letters to block them. His shock ability is once per battle. The deep strike rule revolves around the priest - units must be set up wholly in range of him and more than 9 inches from enemy units. So with some screening reavers you can push him back away so he has to set up further away from the valuable characters.

• Thanks 1

I like the gore pilgrims list.  With 3 priests you can cover the whole table with the portal buff.  Then try to synergize your combat troops.  Portal + wrathmongers + hammer aspiring deathbringer buff is 3 extra attacks.  Taking the dual wield option on your reavers and warriors is a great boost to their effectiveness with that many attacks.  Plus I like the banner of rage + totem buff for the reavers.  Insane damage output for such a cheap unit.  And then you have the summoning!   Khorne gets stronger as the battle continues.  If you take blood sacrifice on your priests you can add demons every turn.  Flesh hounds are cheap, fast, and hit pretty hard.  If you go min sized units on your reavers and warriors the blood tithe racks up quickly.  You can easily save up enough tithe to summon a bloodthirster by turn 2.

• Thanks 1

Played a game the other night, and the guy seemed convinced you could get 4 attacks on bloodletters. Bloodsecrator and wrathmongers can bring you to 3 - am i missing something? 

Also, looking at potential list building i'm guessing the wok thirster CT + bloodstoker + auto 6 for run, is a common way of pinging big meaty units of daemons about the board?

3 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

Played a game the other night, and the guy seemed convinced you could get 4 attacks on bloodletters. Bloodsecrator and wrathmongers can bring you to 3 - am i missing something? 

Also, looking at potential list building i'm guessing the wok thirster CT + bloodstoker + auto 6 for run, is a common way of pinging big meaty units of daemons about the board?

Crimson crown can give extra hits.

Played my first game at 2k points with bloodbound against nighthaunts today. Was a really good game and khorne managed to almost table my opponent and win big on objectives.

My list was:

Gore pilgrims battalion: 2x slaughter priest, blood secrator, 2x 10 blood reavers with twin blades, 10 man blood warriors with twin gore axes, 5 man blood warriors with gore fists

Heroes: mighty lord of khorne with talisman of burning blood and violent urgency, blood stoker, exalted deathbringer with skull gouger and mark of the destroyer.

Battleline: 2x 10 blood reavers with twin blades, 5 man blood warriors with gore fists

Other: 2x khorgorath, magores fiends, riptooth, gareks reavers, 3 mighty skull crushers

Opponents list was a dread blade harrow, knight of shrouds on spooky horse, a vampire lord, 2x guardian of souls, black coach, 15 bladegheist revenants, 2x 20 chain rasp hordes and 2x 5 hexwraiths. Oh and that black coach battalion that lets you fight in the charge phase on a 9 up.

We rolled up battle for the pass as our battleplan which definitely had me worried about ghosts wrecking my backlines and picking up 5 victory points off my objective.

Deployment was rough with how many models i had to put on the board and i felt a bit overwhelmed due to inexperience with the army, but i ended up bubble wrapping myself pretty well from the half of the nighthaunt army that spookily came in on turn 2. I made a line of out of my non gore pilgrims units and then essentially dropped my entire gore pilgrims battallion on my backfield objective and used the blood reavers to bubble wrap the backside of my army. My opponent put his black coach in the center of his deployment and bladegheist revenants on the left so i ended up putting the 10 man bloodwarriors behind some reavers on that side to eventually jump into combat with them and hopefully eat them alive. He had hexwraiths on the right side and the other squad on his rear objective. The vampire lord was chilling by the black coach along with a guardian of souls and a knight of shrouds.

My opponent chose to go first and ended up putting divine shield on the black coach, which leveled up twice. He ran most of his units except the black coach which got dangerously close to my front lines. The knight of shrouds and hexwraiths ended up holding the right objective and the bladegheist revenants ended up holding the left objective. He charged into a 5 man squad of blood warriors, and a squad of blood reavers with the black coach and killed 6 blood reavers and 3 blood warriors, i thought it would have been worse, the blood warriors managed to bounce a mortal back onto it and did 2 wounds with some good rolls on theyre way down. Then i pinged 2 more wounds off of it when i got to attack. I think charging the black coach was a mistake here, he was basically swinging at chaff and ended up getting it seriously duffed up in the process.

My turn i pop the MLoK's command and pick the khorgorath the ten man blood warriors and the blood crushers. The blood secrator opens his portal, and I bloodstoke the bloodwarriors to guarentee they get theyre charge. The slaughterpriests dont do much because one failed to cast blood boil and the other one rolled a one for his damge on the black coach. I run some reavers into annoying positions to block follow up charges if my opponent gets to go first next turn and my khorgoraths and bloodcrushers move up to beat up the right objectives current occupants, the blood warriors move up and get ready to charge the bladegheist revenants. My exalted desthbringer wants to eat the blacm coach so he moves towards the middle. Everything makes its charges, the MLoK with that artifact and command trait seems like hes simply amazing for an army thats as slow as khorne can be. I take a risk here and go with the bloodwarriors first hoping my opponent will pick the hexwraiths rather then the black coach to attack next, i know how dumb bladegheist revenants can be so i want to severely thin the squad. I roll a bit below average and only manage to kill 5 which is brutal. He picks the black coach and ignores my exalted death bringer and ends up killing the blood warriors and puts all his hooves into the reavers and leaves the squad with two alive. The bloodwarriors once again bounce a mortal and take a wound or two off it on theyre way down which feels great. I activate my bloodcrushers and anemically kill one and a half hexwraiths, they respond by killing 1 blood crusher and scratching another. The khorgaraths activate and roll decently but the nighthaunts player rolls decently as well on saves and it leaves the knight of shrouds annoyingly on one wound. The bladegheists end up rolling poorly and kill 2 bloodwarriors who dont manage any kills on the way down. The exalted deathbringer goes next and takes out the black coach which feels awesome.

I lose the roll off for turn 2 and my opponent replenishes a bunch of revenants, i deny all his spells thanks to riptooths re rolling unbind and the blood secrator making him re roll sucessful casts. Khorne is awesome. He brings his full army into the table and warps the dreadblade into my back lines and brings the hexwraiths on his back objective with it. The 2 chain rasp hordes end up behind my right flank and one near the front of his deployment. the bladegheists retreat so they can charge. The knight of shrouds retreats forward behind my right flank. The hexwraiths end up charging a 5 man bloodwarrior unit and killing two, they drag one down with them.  The bladegheists end up doing some serious damage to my bloodwarriors and end up wiping the unit but on the way out they absolutely maul the revenants leaving them with 3 models, this was probably my favourite moment in the game. The khorgorath end up eating the hexwraiths and then my bloodwarriors kill another hexwraith on the other flank. He fails a charge with his chainrasps.

On my turn i end up blood boiling away the remaining hexwraiths and my other slaughter priest bloodboils the knight of shrouds and takes him off the table. I pop my MLoK command and choose the khrogoraths so they can head back and deal with the chainrasps, my deathbringer so he can tie up the central rasps, and magores fiends because i want them to clean up the revenants. I move my reavers around to continue being meat shields ( meat shields im really starting to love btw ), and move around for better charge positions and get a few more bodies on some objectives.  The khorgaraths make theyre charge along with eveything else, i choose magore first because im scared of revenants and i had done a ****** poor job of killing his heroes so i needed to wipe them. Magore ends up eating them with his belly maw which makes me profoundly happy. The chain rasps tickle the khorgaraths and one goes down to 2 wounds, my exalted death bringer only manages to kill 2 rasps and they end up dealing two wounds to him. The khorgaraths end up grinding ten chainrasps into ectoplasm and 4 more decide they would rather not be fighting a giant pissed off monkey demon that collects  skulls and book it for shyish to make it for tea time. At this point ive basically done way too much damage for my opponent to realistically come back but theyre is a chance he can possibly spike some dice and maybe chew through 20 bloodreavers and 4 khorne heroes to get to my back objective. Its 10 to 5 after turn two, things are going well.

On turn three i lose the roll but i spend my blood tithe points to give my whole army no respite which feels brutal seeing as my opponent needs to get me off my obejective to have a shot at even getting close to back in the game. He warps some chainrasps around with his dreadblade harrow and i deny a few spells. He has two 9 inch charges to make and needs to roll exceptionally well in the fight phase to get back in, but theyres a chance... then he missed his two charges and conceded.

Overall i liked my list, except the blood crushers who i want to replace with good old fashioned wrathmongers. My opponents list seemed solid but i think the ammount of models and attacks i brought were just too much. It was a fun game and definitely a good start for my khorne army, they are way too much fun to play, super aggressive and deceptively fast and they feel fair and rewarding of good positioning and decision making.

• Like 2

"The khorgaraths end up grinding ten chainrasps into ectoplasm and 4 more decide they would rather not be fighting a giant pissed off monkey demon that collects  skulls and book it for shyish to make it for tea time.

That part made me chuckle. Also Inever realized the giant monkey daemon look and now I can't unsee it xD

Edited by Mikeymajq
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 3:38 PM, JetBlackSVW said:

You can always put the Bloodsecrator on or within a piece of terrain for the +1 to saves, and if you've got a spare artefact slot, you can give him the Crimson Plate so he can reroll 1s on his saves. Don't know what to do about the Dracoth's mortal wound blast though.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:44 AM, PUFNSTUF said:

Interesting... Might see how a Brass Despoilers and Council of blood would work out.

beautiful thing is that you purchase the battalion and given they get the khorne keyword -  your lovely doombull is general material.  I'd converted several of my Khorgoraths with minotaur heads so I've inadvertently gained three bullgors more pleasing to the khorne image!  ( I understand this will be addressed in FAQ's as being a thing - and rightly so, I've wanted my army to follow a huge bull for ages ever since I rolled one as my general back in Slaves to Darkness in 3rd ed

Granted if you want the beasts specific abilities and traits  in the book then I suppose they'll need to be Beasts allegiance )

Also, that battalion, once you've paid your three units of base tax lets you bring in a khorne marked shaggoth or bray shaman as well for magical shenanigans as well with his devolve spell.  we suddenly have some very heavy ranged  / speedy hitters to add to the army.  The cygor will be a great addition to our khorne army - the 18" boulder attack, but most importantly the amount of anti magic he has going on when coupled with other sources we have - will make us very efficient at shutting down magic heavy phases.  - Again.. rightly so.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 7:59 AM, JarekTheRed said:

my list is a gore pilgrim :

bloodsecrator, 3 slaughterpriest (all with killing frenzy and one with the talisman of burning blood), a mighty lord of khorne on jugger with brazen rune. 2x10 bloodwarriors, 1x10 bloodreavers, 3x5 skullreapers and 2 khorgorath.

Hard to remove, the 3 units of buffed skullreapers and the 2 khorgorath as well as the prayers of the slaughterpriest pack a very good offensive power. Lot of wounds with a 4+ save to remove, saturation of attacks, big mortal wound potential. Basically, outpunch and outlast the opponent. The weakness of the army is that it's quite slow (no first turn charge, no bloodstocker) and lack ultra powerful hammer unit, bit there is lot of threats running around, so my opponent have loot of choices to make.

Edited by ledha

11 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

beautiful thing is that you purchase the battalion and given they get the khorne keyword -  your lovely doombull is general material.  I'd converted several of my Khorgoraths with minotaur heads so I've inadvertently gained three bullgors more pleasing to the khorne image!  ( I understand this will be addressed in FAQ's as being a thing - and rightly so, I've wanted my army to follow a huge bull for ages ever since I rolled one as my general back in Slaves to Darkness in 3rd ed

Granted if you want the beasts specific abilities and traits  in the book then I suppose they'll need to be Beasts allegiance )

Also, that battalion, once you've paid your three units of base tax lets you bring in a khorne marked shaggoth or bray shaman as well for magical shenanigans as well with his devolve spell.  we suddenly have some very heavy ranged  / speedy hitters to add to the army.  The cygor will be a great addition to our khorne army - the 18" boulder attack, but most importantly the amount of anti magic he has going on when coupled with other sources we have - will make us very efficient at shutting down magic heavy phases.  - Again.. rightly so.

I'm going to back pedal on this until the FAQ's come out.  Having opened my Beasts of Chaos book last night, I see the only thing they can ally with is Slaves to Darkness.

This being the case, unless we have a rules update adding them to our list of allies, or an FAQ telling us that yes we can slot them into our army then colour me officially sad panda and my pocket as well for splurging on a lot of minotaurs! :(

ignore this ^^^^^^^ !!!!

I'm now going to errata what I've just written!

So.. we need proper FAQ.

Beasts of Chaos as a new Faction cannot take Blades of Khorne as allies,  only slaves to darkness.. however...

Blades of Khorne can take:

Brayherds / warherds/ Monsters of Chaos / chaos Gargants - all now under the Beasts of Chaos banner.

My thinking is that in the next errata / faq Blades of Khorne players (as will other books - Maggotkin / desciples etc)  will be told to replace all of those keywords with Beasts of Chaos, which opens up the god specific battalions and allows it to make sense in the wider chaos spectrum.

I'm changing my colour to hopeful red!

So the question is, do they come in as Beasts Allies and then become khorne and integrate into your army as if you'd picked them from your won book - thus allowing say a doombull general.

or

Do they remain allies and thus although having the khorne Keyword will not be a part of the core army choices - if this is the case, that's a bit sucky as the desciples of tzeentch get the tzaangors and the ogroid thaumaturge as part of  their core army.

Yes... I do want my cake and eat it.

Edited by Kaleb Daark

A good compromise could be if models in a battalion won't count as allies as long as they are marked, but the battalion cost itself comes off your ally points allowance.

This would make everchosen battalions and marked BoC battalions usable within the god armies but still restrictive.

• Like 1

They just need to add the Chaos deity keyword to all of the warscroll Battalions ... not just the models when using the Battalion rule.

Because rules as written even if the units are all marked ... they are still in a Battalion that is an ally so they’re all counted as allies.

Edited by TheOtherJosh
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 9:10 AM, 123lac said:

On 9/17/2018 at 12:34 PM, Kevlar1972 said:

Not just mortal wounds on a hard 6.  The new books have most abilities trigger on a hard 6.  Also units have to be "wholly within" a set distance for buffs so no daisy chaining a couple models for extra attacks or buffs.  This will affect certain builds, especially the bloodletter bomb.  It will be difficult to buff 30 models on 32mm bases and even buffed they will only deal mortal wounds on a 6.  Assuming the older books get errata to match the new books.

I'd say it's certainly possible they will adress it in the future. For now however, I am uncertain they will. I mean we do have Bloodletters but otherwise we arn't a DoK/Nighthaunt army with a ton of Mortal Wound acces.

IF it will change for Bloodletters I think it should go hand to hand with their cost being reduced a little. I am open for both scenarios, but in reality they havn't changed too much so far for Khorne, other than the GH update.

As an example, I still don't know why Khorne is the only army that has riders on Daemonic Mounts without the Daemonic Keyword, or a hero with a Daemonic partner without it. As mentioned months ago, this is not the case with the DoT, MoN or Slaanesh equivelants... It's not even the same with the Slaves to Darkness equivelant ^^ 

In any case, slowely but surely I do believe AoS2 is shaping up to be a great game. Much better as AoS1. I do completely agree with the notion that GW seemed to go a bit overboard with the Mortal Wounds, which in turn likely makes the current Stormcast players unhappy also.

All in all though I do like the rock, paper, scissors design and maby GW will just make some heroes that allow some units to ignore Mortal Wounds or treat them as Rend -3/-2. There are a lot of easy fixes available, if it pans out that Mortal Wounds are too plenty atm. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

They just need to add the Chaos deity keyword to all of the warscroll Battalions ... not just the models when using the Battalion rule.

Because rules as written even if the units are all marked ... they are still in a Battalion that is an ally so they’re all counted as allies.

absolutely Josh, and as it stands, you couldn't anyway, as the minimum you can get away with is a beastlord, three units of 10 gors and the battalion weighing in at 520 points.

I think once again, we're seeing things that aren't really making sense *at the moment*  but will do as more factions get updated and expanded on.    As it stands, tzeentch wins all round as he gets the tzaangors and the ogroid thaumaturge as standard in his core army.

I was hoping that the other gods would see similar blessings with  the beasts release. 

For them also, the god mark is relative in so far that at the moment you can use it to only take advantage of an opponent sporting the mark, so beast armies with the battalion can fight a khorne army and benefit from their buffs, and the same holds true for nurgle marked armies fighting Maggotkin or sick note rats.

Edited by Kaleb Daark
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Yeah I was under the initial impression that older Warscrolls specifically had the Allegiance Keyword on the Battalion Warscroll.
Knowing now that all Warscrolls from a specific book have them 'build in' it could be that the Beast of Chaos Battalions will become an exception.

To be honest though, for Beasts of Chaos I would say that the Beast of Chaos Allegiance rules are much better suited for the army as the Khorne Allegiance rules. So if I where to use them in the future, even with a Battalion that gives them all the Khorne Keyword I am of the opinion that the Beasts of Chaos Allegiance abilities synergize much better with all the units. Reasons being:
- BoC doesn't have great saves and all the BoC Allegiance abilities basically circumvent that as becomming an issue
- BoC has some really good endless spells
- The Herdstone is really allowing this whole army to operate as kind of a Chaos Flesh Eater courts army where a -1 Rend bubble becomes so large that the sheer weight of bodies should do amazing tricks...
- Lastly, they have their own summonning too

But yeah, the FAQ will be welcome. I do think however that GW will remain consistent with their Battalion approach, or at least I hope so. Which will mean that the 'khorne battalion' is a BoC battalion and the Khorne keyword is purely there for lore. To be honest, I could live with that.

• Like 1