AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

14 hours ago, Roark said:

Just noticed that the Slaughterbrute dropped by 10pts to 170pts. Maybe a faster alternative to 2 x Khorgies... Maybe not...

Interestingly enough that is only the Slaughterbrute Of Khorne that dropped in points. The plain old Slaughterbrute didn’t get the points drop.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Interestingly enough that is only the Slaughterbrute Of Khorne that dropped in points. The plain old Slaughterbrute didn’t get the points drop.

Less rend, less wounds, but much much faster.

What i don't like in the SBrute is the lack of TENTACLES compared to the Khorgorath. oh wait, there is a bunch fo tentacool things in the Sbrute kit!

Skullreapers: Weapon Options! (Fight!)

Gore-slick Blades hit on 3+ Daemon on 4+

Both can gain +rerolls for failures for hit and wound.

Daemonblades (and Soultearer) can give Mortal Wounds on Wound rolls of 6... but then can also deal mortal wounds to the unit on 1’s.

In practice does the mortal wound benefit of the Daemonblades and the Soultearer outweigh the potential for self-inflicted wounds to the unit? (They do look cool ...) Or should one “play it safe” and take Gore-slick Blades and a Spinecleaver?

(Side question: How does “Murderous to the Last” interact with the Daemonblades? If a model is killed by a self-inflicted Daemonblade mortal wound, do you then roll “Murderous to the Last” against the Skullreapers?)

They inherently reroll 1's to hit, so that offsets the deamon blades downside a lot. Also we don't have a lot of mortal wound output so they fill that role. I'd say put killing frenzy on them from a slaughterpriest too. Plus the Daemon blades look cooler xD 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Side question: How does “Murderous to the Last” interact with the Daemonblades? If a model is killed by a self-inflicted Daemonblade mortal wound, do you then roll “Murderous to the Last” against the Skullreapers?)

I would totally play this as they attack themselves, but would understand if someone else didnt.

played a game last year (both khorne) and turn 3 had a massive scrum of skullreapers & bloodwarriors vs wrathmongers & bloodwarriors. Carnage ensued as every unit was triggering something else.

• Like 1

So I am currently squinting quite hard at a fuzzy scan of the new General's Handbook - Am I reading this right and did the Bloodmarked Warband from  Everchosen go up by a whopping 60 points?

Since it looked like fun I'd been tinkering with Xasz' "Blood Factory" summoning list from the previous Blades of Khorne (taking into account increases and decreases in the BoK that had been shown on YouTube) trying to get it to work at 1500 point which is what we use in my local meta, but goodness gracious I never thought Bloodmarked would have increased so drastically, and didn't take into account that the minimum unit size of the Chaos Marauders would go up to 20 (RIP easy 60 point slot-in when trying to decrease points on a list).

As such, would the following list still be a decent stab at the concept at 1500 points? Also can Spawn still be taken in a Khorne list? The only warscrolls I can find for them on the GW site and the Azyr builder only have them marked as Tzeentch. I mainly ask because I needed to plop them into the list to trim a lot of fat from the points cost but now I'm not sure if Khorne can even take them anymore.

Spoiler

> Gore Pilgrims
Bloodsecrator
Slaughter Priest
Slaughter Priest
10 Blood Reavers
5 Blood Warriors

> Bloodmarked Warband
Skarr Bloodwrath
Slaughter Priest
Garrek's Reavers
10 Blood Reavers
10 Blood Reavers
10 Blood Reavers
10 Blood Reavers
Spawn
Spawn

Generally I can already see that the loss of the Warshrine as a mobile Totem in this version of the list hurts the Reavers' potential damage output, as does the lack of points for a heavy hitter out of the gate and effectively hoping to kill Skarr with the first two Blood Sacrifices to get him out of the way early with a maximum potential of 5 BT points in the first turn (if you roll well and off Skarr) and 6 thereafter. Which while not terrible means no Bloodthirsters skipping merrily onto the field unless I'd be willing to let some points spill over x)

Would it potentially be better to forget about this type of list at this point level and try something else instead?

Also - With the change to Command Abilities can the Aspiring Deathbringer's +1 attack aura stack with itself? For example if one were to spend 3 CP to activate it three times would that mean everything in range gets +3 attacks or only +1?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ratzinkaiser said:

blubb

Chaos Spawn cannot be marked.

It is expected that the Deathbringer will stack, but I guess they will clear up the wording a bit to make it easier to understand.

Concerning the overall concept and Khorne. I'm waiting until we can be sure that there are no hidden nerfs or unexpected changes. If there are none, I'll probably play this list as Khorne is the only army I own (besides some Death stuff from before AoS) and I'd like to finish it with some daemons. Nevertheless you should be aware that the core concept can easily be destroyed by an FAQ. So some caution is advised.

If things go further south I'll probably start my Fatesworn project or wait for a Slaanesh/Undivided release instead.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Chaos Spawn cannot be marked.

The Chaos Spawn Warscroll in the Grand Alliance: Chaos Book has he following unit ability:

Cursed of the Dark Gods If you wish, when setting up this unit, you can pick one of the following keywords to assign to this unit for the duration of the battle: KHORNE, SLAANESH, NURGLE, TZEENTCH

That would seem to allow using it.

Edited by TheOtherJosh

5 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The Chaos Spawn Warscroll in the Grand Alliance: Chaos Book has he following unit ability:

Cursed of the Dark Gods If you wish, when setting up this unit, you can pick one of the following keywords to assign to this unit for the duration of the battle: KHORNE, SLAANESH, NURGLE, TZEENTCH

That would seem to allow using it.

If your play group is fine with using "outdated" scrolls.

We have a club FAQ where we prohibit legacy rules and scrolls.

Ergo, if they have the same name new overwrites old, no coexistence. (GW seems to do it they same way, at least to some degree)

Edited by Xasz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xasz said:

If your play group is fine with using "outdated" scrolls.

We have a club FAQ where we prohibit legacy rules and scrolls.

Ergo, if they have the same name new overwrites old, no coexistence. (GW seems to do it they same way, at least to some degree)

GW Faq “The Rules” v1.4 p.7

“Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit, can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version?
A: You can choose which warscroll to use, but it may be more convenient for your opponent if you use the most recently published version, especially if the earlier version is no longer readily available.”

Your Rule is a “club faq” that most players don’t play by. So, that rule is for your club, ie it’s house rules.

The only explicit rewrite was a “this replaces all prior versions” was the re-do for Kharadron Grundstock Thunderers in GHB 2017.

Edited by TheOtherJosh

9 minutes ago, Xasz said:

@TheOtherJosh

Yep, I'm aware of the FAQ.

It's within the limits of the game to play with whatever scrolls you may find but as I said, we decided to make a clear cut.

No worries.

Just remember that Warscroll is coming from a current publication from GW. Older, yes. But still for sale.

https://www.games-workshop.com/Grand-Alliance-Chaos

(p.45 if you’re interested.)

Edited by TheOtherJosh

13 hours ago, Xasz said:

If things go further south I'll probably start my Fatesworn project or wait for a Slaanesh/Undivided release instead

Solid plan. Im just finishing what I have left and reconsider what to do with Khorne.

The way I see the BT train is that its nice but also still hard to make funtional against "true top tier" armies/new armies.

It is what it is, playing for fun still seems good with Khorne. Though my tournament winning intentions wouldnt be with this army.

It could be argued that this was the case before with Gh2017 but Khorne is very similar to StD so other Allegiances have more tactical outs and options vs us anyway.

Tzeentch and Nurgle as we speak outthreat and outpace us. On top of having a way more solid Allegiance ability.

In retrospect the cost increases on key units hurt harder too as we can summon but cant do anything on top of it. Unlike the rest of the allegiances basically.

• Like 5

For folks that have Skarr Bloodwrath, how are you transporting him?

The rather delicate left hand Axe with the chain above the head seems to be problematic for transport.

Did you do any kind of conversion or change to the chain over his head?

Edited by TheOtherJosh

14 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The rather delicate left hand Axe with the chain above the head seems to be problematic for transport.

I've been transporting him and my wrathmongers in a games workshop case with the to tray removed so his arms and heads arnt touching anything. He is still intact but I have had a couple of wrathmongers loose a chain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOtherJosh said:

No need for foam, stick a magnet under his base and get a metal tray/magnetic sheet in a box is the way forward!

• Like 3

On the subject of Skarr, he seems like a steal for 80 points with unlimited respawns. Really easy way to keep generating Blood Tithe points too.

I think his true talent is where our summoning comes into play though. Because he spawns during the battleshock phase, you have the option to put him in a good position so he can spawn some bloodletters or a bloodthirster in the following hero phase. Its a bit random because his respawn chance is only 50%, but he seems like a great choice.

Edited by Towenaar
  • Like 2

I think that one of the key plays could be the units that can attack in the Hero phase (where we can spend BT off the normal table)...

The summoning table version for BT happens in the Movement phase... so if you can spend BT in the Command phase, It zeroes out, kill two units to get enough BT to use it in the movement phase?

Edited by TheOtherJosh
  • Like 1