AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I played a 2k game the other night with main goal of summoning a Bloodthirster asap, using blade of endless bloodshed and blood sacrifice for extra blood tithe. I got him down at the start of turn 4, which was a bit too late to really do anything much as i thought.

Over 4 turns i managed 12 BT - 6 from my units dieing, 1 from a unit of morghast, 4 from the blade of endless bloodshed and 1 from blood sacrifice. I reckon drip feeding blood letter reinforcements, murderlust and auto unbind are better uses of the BT.

Were you running Gore Pilgrims?  I used this list at 1500, and you should have a WoK thirster by turn 2.

Asp Champ w/axe and hammer +1 attack bubble

Blood secrator +1 attack bubble and battleshock, banner of rage, rerolls, + totem attack for the reavers

Priest, blood sacrifice

Priest, blood sacrifice

Priest, b lood sacrifice

Karanak, crimson crown, good for when the demons start getting summoned.

10 reavers

10 reavers

10 reavers

10 reavers

5 blood warriors

5 blood warriors

5 wrathmongers, +1 attack bubble, kill strong monsters or characters

Gore Pilgrims

Reavers are there to take charges and get sacrificed.  But in the right position they are generating 5 attacks each.  Same with the blood warriors which is great with no respite.

Turn 2 I'll have my WoK thirster on the field to eliminate scary threats, turn 3 its a unit of bloodcrushers or 15-20 letters depending on how many units are dead at that point.  You take an initial beating with the crappy troops, but once the blood tithe kicks in and you have demon support it works like a charm.  Just keep churning out d6 mortal wounds with the priests and kill units off before they can do serious harm to your battle line.

Edited by Kevlar1972

"Karanak, crimson crown, good for when the demons start getting summoned."

Karanak is a named Unique character and cannot be given an item/command trait.

Also, with the list above....what is being hit with blood sacrifice? If its the reavers then there goes your screen/ glass cannon. The problem with relying on tithe summoning is that some opponents will get in your face, forcing your summons to actually go behind your lines and not really in a good position. I find that it only usually works when i have a strong battle line to begin with....and 4 x 10 reavers  and 2 5's of BW is not that.

I'd combine the BW's into a 10 take out Karanak and a unit of reavers and add another wrathmonger unit of warshrine

Hi,

I am getting ready for an event in Oct and coming up with this list. Looking for guidance and critique. Thanks in advance.

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterborn 
- Artefact: Deathdealer 
Skarbrand (400)
Bloodthirster Of Insensate Rage (260)
- Artefact: A'rgath the King of Blades 
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (80)
- Artefact: Mark of the slayer 

Battleline
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
30 x Bloodletters (320)

Battalions
Council of Blood (150)
Murderhost (220)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 97

2 hours ago, AOSNewbie said:

Hi,

I am getting ready for an event in Oct and coming up with this list. Looking for guidance and critique. Thanks in advance.

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterborn 
- Artefact: Deathdealer 
Skarbrand (400)
Bloodthirster Of Insensate Rage (260)
- Artefact: A'rgath the King of Blades 
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (80)
- Artefact: Mark of the slayer 

Battleline
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
30 x Bloodletters (320)

Battalions
Council of Blood (150)
Murderhost (220)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 97

Get it ready before the event and play as many games as you can with it to learn it's strengths and weaknesses.

11 hours ago, Oreaper84 said:

"Karanak, crimson crown, good for when the demons start getting summoned."

Karanak is a named Unique character and cannot be given an item/command trait.

Also, with the list above....what is being hit with blood sacrifice? If its the reavers then there goes your screen/ glass cannon. The problem with relying on tithe summoning is that some opponents will get in your face, forcing your summons to actually go behind your lines and not really in a good position. I find that it only usually works when i have a strong battle line to begin with....and 4 x 10 reavers  and 2 5's of BW is not that.

I'd combine the BW's into a 10 take out Karanak and a unit of reavers and add another wrathmonger unit of warshrine

Good catch on Karanak.  He's too good not to take with his free summon and mortal wounds on successful dispel.  Just give the bloodsecrator the crimson plate, or the  Deathbringer mark of the destroyer.

Deployment depends on objectives and mission obviously, but try to keep some reavers back for sacrifice and area denial.  The other reavers and warriors are getting buffed by secrator, totem, and possibly close enough to wrathmongers or Asp. champion's 6 inch attack bubble.  Sure they die fast, but with 4-5 attacks each they will pump out some damage before they fuel the blood tithe.   After the sacrificial unit is gone you can always pick off weak units or hit the priests themselves if need be and you are short a point or two to bring in a unit of 20 bloodletters. 

The warriors backed up by wrathmongers and  champion's slaughter incarnate are a good counter charge and should shred whatever hits the reavers.  Not to mention the 3d6 mortal wounds from the priests you can use to soften things up if need be.

I'm not saying its a perfect list.  Just easy to build with 2 starter kits and I think its pretty competitive, at least at 1500 points.  Convert some stokers to priests, I just gave them an axe and a prayer book from my bits bin.  An extra bloodsecrator makes a nice Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer, just get a retributor hammer to replace the banner.   

At lower points values the summoning will quickly boost your losses.  The +attacks buff stacking and lack of battleshock will let you wear the opponent down even if you are losing more models than he is initially.  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 12:03 AM, Kevlar1972 said:

Only have one slaughterpriest atm so no gore pilgrims for me yet. Thinking of just starting my Insensate rage bloodthirster on the table from the get go. Probably making him general, with slaughterborn to help his 4+ to hit and armour of scorn to give him some extra protection 

What are the cheapest (points wise) but most effective Allied units Khorne can field as expendable chaff to exchange for Blood Tithe?

Example - Brayheard unit of 1 Tuskor Chariot is  Raiders is 60 pts, could field 5 for 300 pts, where they can kamikaze at enemy line.

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

What are the cheapest (points wise) but most effective Allied units Khorne can field as expendable chaff to exchange for Blood Tithe?

Example - Brayheard unit of 1 Tuskor Chariot is  Raiders is 60 pts, could field 5 for 300 pts, where they can kamikaze at enemy line.

Shadespire units are cheap, although they are unique and riptooth is quite useful 

Looks like it will work, but much like mortals and demons mixed you won't get a lot of synergy.  Some things work though like bloodsecrator, banner of rage, slaughterpriest buffs, blood stoker, wrath of khorne bloodthirster command ability.  Looks great for a beast army to get some support characters and access to blood tithe and summoning! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

To be honest i just wanna get my beast on cos i love the models! I'm fairly new to aos so i do struggle as to why this would break the rules anyway - they get the khorne keyword, and i thought allies could be in a warscroll battalion and not count towards allies allowance?

Please someone educate me!

They wouldn't have to be fielded as  allies.  You could play that battalion under the blades of khorne rules or the beastman rules.  If you played it using blades of khorne you could mix in any khorne marked units, even Archaon or slaves to darkness stuff. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Looks like it will work, but much like mortals and demons mixed you won't get a lot of synergy.  Some things work though like bloodsecrator, banner of rage, slaughterpriest buffs, blood stoker, wrath of khorne bloodthirster command ability.  Looks great for a beast army to get some support characters and access to blood tithe and summoning! 

WoK Thirster's command ability only works on Khorne daemons.

• Like 1

Beasts will add a lot of movement options to Khorne and help speed things up and offer more board control. 

The flexibility in that Battalion is pretty big, too. 

It's going to make the Hero slots more crowded than ever, though, and I think it will be hard to do a Beasts/Daemon/Mortal force.

Edited by Aspirant Snaeper

39 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

Beasts will add a lot of movement options to Khorne and help speed things up and offer more board control. 

The flexibility in that Battalion is pretty big, too. 

It's going to make the Hero slots more crowded than ever, though, and I think it will be hard to do a Beasts/Daemon/Mortal force.

That battalion only uses one hero slot.  Pretty light tax!  Seems it should be able to run with gore pilgrims pretty easily at 2000.

58 minutes ago, Kevlar1972 said:

That battalion only uses one hero slot.  Pretty light tax!  Seems it should be able to run with gore pilgrims pretty easily at 2000.

Yes, but that still puts that one hero up against the popular WoK Bloodthirster and Bloodstoker or reducing the range of Gore Pilgrims with one less Slaughterpriest. That's before you conisider the rest of Khorne's available Hero's. 

It all depends on the new warscrolls ultimately, and the Player's style of course. I was mostly just considering the "default" options for Khorne which is max Gore Pilgrims with Bloodstoker and WoK 'thirster. 

Two battalions are typically expensive though and that's before remembering to take Bloodreavers and Blood Warriors. If Bullgors are not standard Battleline then Gors might also be taxed, leaving little room to put in Bulls and/or Bloodletters, Thunderscorn, Skullreapers, Wrathmongers, Bestigors, etc.

More to consider is the fact that Ungors are not part of that Battalion. If Ungors remain 60 points then they would have been a gold mine for Blood Tithe. They are not worth allying in by themselves however. If Gors are still 80 then Bloodreavers remain a better option for multiple units. 

Last but not least, unless Beasts get the Mortal keyword, they wont be able to take any Khorne artefacts. This is mitigated with realm artefacts being so abundant and good, but if you're trading your WoK and Bloodletters for a Doombull and Bullgors, they had better have the speed and offensive output to make up for it.

Edited by Aspirant Snaeper

4 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

To be honest i just wanna get my beast on cos i love the models! I'm fairly new to aos so i do struggle as to why this would break the rules anyway - they get the khorne keyword, and i thought allies could be in a warscroll battalion and not count towards allies allowance?

Please someone educate me!

Under the normal rules for AoS 2, if your battalion does not have the keyword for your army, even if all units within said battalion do, the battalion and all included units count as allies.

Apparently these battalions will be given a special exception.

• Thanks 1