AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

13 hours ago, Charleston said:
  • Summer Slot will be Necromunda with some Vehicle-MadMax-Style-Addon
  • Maybe as "Suprise Release" the Rumoured HH Starter Kit will drop, if the project isn't dropped entirely by GW

One rumour is Age of Darkness 2 could land in November which has seen a smaller games system have a box launch land.  Alternatively it could be the other way round, but we've had confirmation Ash Wastes is next up, so reckon it gets it's reveal over the traditional WHFest weekend.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Charleston said:

Sorry but from the battletome itself there is no single mention that anyone of them is a daemon prince if I recall correctly.

Valkia was "just" a mortal who Khorne was impressed by, some lore snippets sounds even like he has a serious crush for her. Each time she dies Khorne deems her worthy of resurrection, any by this he twisted her body. 

Pretty sure you're right about Skarr, but not Valkia. In her background in the current tome it says that Khorne resurrected her as a 'Daemon Queen'. No idea if that's any different from a prince, but definitely an ascension. The fact that the background says that and she's never had the Daemon keyword has driven me to write the FAQ team multiple times haha. They specifically said that it isn't included for balance reasons in the FAQ, but honestly I have no idea what mystical corner case they're trying to avoid. I mean her being able to re-roll 1's to hit would obviously be soooooo broken right? 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi i need help with list i love juggetnauts and hate bloodthirsters xD

- Army Faction: Blades of Khorne

- Subfaction: Goretide

LEADERS

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (140)

- General

- Command Traits: Hew the Foe

- Artefacts of Power: Gorecleaver

Bloodstoker (85)

Slaughterpriest (110)

- Hackblade and Wrath-hammer

- Prayers: Blood Sacrifice, Curse

Bloodsecrator (125)

- Artefacts of Power: Thronebreaker’s Torc

Aspiring Deathbringer (85)

BATTLELINE

6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (340)

- Bloodglaive

3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (170)

- Bloodglaive

- Bloodglaive

BEHEMOTH

1 x Soul Grinder (235)

OTHER

1 x Riptooth (125)

3 x Magore’s Fiends (125)

5 x Wrathmongers (145)

5 x Centigors (90)

TERRAIN

1 x Skull Altar (0)

CORE BATTALIONS

- *Warlord

- **Warlord

- ***Hunters of the Heartlands

TOTAL POINTS: 1990/2000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

@Skarband Well, hard to give any advice right now on Khorne. If you want to play casually then usually you can take what you want. 6x Juggernauts have great staying power on objectives but you shouldn't view them as an offensive option due to how coherency affects them. I prefer them with Axes instead of Glaives, simply because it makes life easier to roll the mount and rider together. Also Rend -1 is often not worth over the +1 to hit. Soul Grinders are neat, I always suggest to use all out attack on them if possible. Buffing them with Wrathmongers can really do some damage. I do not get the Centigors, would instead rather consider Khorne-Daemon-Doggos if you have any around.

I assume your list wants to drop a load of dice on a cursed target. For this I can only suggest to consider a second slaughterpriest in case the first one gets gutted. 

It could be really fun to play, I'd like to see some batrep when you have played with it

On 3/17/2022 at 10:08 PM, Troll.exe said:

So after being left out of broken realms and let down over 2 quarterly updates and a white dwarf release, how about some positive speculation?

The rumour engine on the 22nd of feb is a new valkia sculpt. She’ll be the new hero released with the battlebox in conjunction with our new tome. Based on the dates of the Nighthaunt rumour engine compared to the tome release date, my hot pick is 9-12months from now. 

Whats that you say? We just had a white dwarf update, that means there’s no tome on the horizon.

Nighthaunt had their white dwarf update in December and their tome is up next.

After adepticon is practically confirmed that is not valkya unfortunely, but a CSM unit

Did a game vs a stormcast this week, 3 bt and a bloodsecreator got shoot off the board turn 1

I really hate aos atm xD

We were all allowed to hope for Valkia and GW was more than merit to desillusion us :D

Yeah, currently AoS suffers from the lower pace, but to be fair, we had this vice versa with 40k about 1-2 years ago, with AoS beeing sweet and hyped and 40k suffering a low release pace

What do you guys think of this list? I haven't run more than 1 thirster before and would appreciate any tips. My meta swings wildly from one end of the competitive spectrum to the other. Thanks for any help. (I'm experienced with my mortals, but only now am I really trying the big daemons)
1925pts, Bloodlords, 126 wounds, 11 drops, ** = hunters of the heartlands, ++ = warlord

Spoiler

++ Wrath of Khorne bloodthirster - General, + 4"move trait, collar of Khorne
++ Blodsecrator
++ Bloodsecrator
++ 10 bloodreavers
** 10 Blood warriors - 2 axes (for aesthetic reasons)
** 10 bloodreavers
** 10 bloodreavers
10 bloodreavers
Bloodthirster of insensate rage - always strikes first artifact
Bloodthirster of insensate rage
Bloodthirster of unfettered fury

I acknowledge that I don't have the mortal wound output to stop 1+ save stormcast nonsense, or the Ymetrica list someone started directly after I made this. Xp It has flexibility though. It puts a heavy hit to most magic from enemy armies (Teclis and Tzeentch excluded) and the strikes first guy is ludicrously strong. It also feels like it has a good number of bodies with a little extra meat where needed. The large aura heal is a nice bonus if I have a command point spare and the re-rolls to wound are nice. Easier to use than the double pile in faction too, I feel.
The plan is to screen out the board until I can line up the flank sweep with the thirsters. Reavers offer surprising damage by the secrators (against medium to low armor). They can even screen clear ... mostly. XD They buy time for the thirsters, so the same plan competitive Khorne has had for years. xP It's my first time using thirsters though and I feel good about the list. (Right up until I get flame storm breathed into oblivion XD) (Yes, my area has a guy running most of the LVO winning list. Tried a single thirster once and had the witch Hunter kill him in 2 turns. Damage 4 shooting! *runs away screaming*)
Hopefully I can report success from the RTT next weekend. Wish me luck. XD
Hope you have a lovely weekend, for Khorne!!! 
(I like to imagine it's having a lovely weekend at the blood god's decree.)

• Like 2

So last weekend I hit up adepticon and took blades of khorne for fun ( even got best in faction, granted I think there was 2 of us)

All 3 of my games I lost were close (2 points down each). Every game I was able to complete 4 battle tactics and my grand strategy. Just need to squeeze out that 5th tactic to close the gap.

My thoughts are that the skullcrushers were amazing objective holders. And spending blood tithe points on moving in the hero phase is by far the best use of them. ( Really helps make sure people fail broken ranks or slay the warlord or reposition for other battle tactics) having king of blades on the bloodthirster really helps him be less swingy when going after big priority targets preferably monsters that are heros. 

The new trait to ignore spells on a 6 went off 9 times over my 5 games which ended up being more useful then I expected.  Next time my blood reavers will have axes they were still on the painting table sadly.

- Army Faction: Blades of Khorne

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumph: Inspired

LEADERS

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)

- Artefacts of Power: Ar’gath, the King of Blades

Bloodsecrator (125)*

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (140)*

- General

- Command Traits: Disciple of Khorne

- Artefacts of Power: Gorecleaver

Slaughterpriest (110)*

- Hackblade and Wrath-hammer

- Prayers: Bronzed Flesh

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)***

- Daemonic Axe and Malefic Talons

BATTLELINE

Bloodreavers (80)*

- Reaver Blades

Bloodreavers (80)**

- Reaver Blades

Mighty Skullcrushers (340)**

- Ensorcelled Axe

Mighty Skullcrushers (340)**

- Ensorcelled Axe

OTHER

Wrathmongers (145)***

Wrathmongers (145)***

TERRAIN

1 x Skull Altar (0)

CORE BATTALIONS

- *Warlord

- **Hunters of the Heartlands

- ***Vanguard

TOTAL POINTS: 1995/2000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

PXL_20220327_214308515.jpg

PXL_20220326_130502287.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 3

15 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

What do you guys think of this list? I haven't run more than 1 thirster before and would appreciate any tips. My meta swings wildly from one end of the competitive spectrum to the other. Thanks for any help. (I'm experienced with my mortals, but only now am I really trying the big daemons)
1925pts, Bloodlords, 126 wounds, 11 drops, ** = hunters of the heartlands, ++ = warlord

Hide contents

++ Wrath of Khorne bloodthirster - General, + 4"move trait, collar of Khorne
++ Blodsecrator
++ Bloodsecrator
++ 10 bloodreavers
** 10 Blood warriors - 2 axes (for aesthetic reasons)
** 10 bloodreavers
** 10 bloodreavers
10 bloodreavers
Bloodthirster of insensate rage - always strikes first artifact
Bloodthirster of insensate rage
Bloodthirster of unfettered fury

I acknowledge that I don't have the mortal wound output to stop 1+ save stormcast nonsense, or the Ymetrica list someone started directly after I made this. Xp It has flexibility though. It puts a heavy hit to most magic from enemy armies (Teclis and Tzeentch excluded) and the strikes first guy is ludicrously strong. It also feels like it has a good number of bodies with a little extra meat where needed. The large aura heal is a nice bonus if I have a command point spare and the re-rolls to wound are nice. Easier to use than the double pile in faction too, I feel.
The plan is to screen out the board until I can line up the flank sweep with the thirsters. Reavers offer surprising damage by the secrators (against medium to low armor). They can even screen clear ... mostly. XD They buy time for the thirsters, so the same plan competitive Khorne has had for years. xP It's my first time using thirsters though and I feel good about the list. (Right up until I get flame storm breathed into oblivion XD) (Yes, my area has a guy running most of the LVO winning list. Tried a single thirster once and had the witch Hunter kill him in 2 turns. Damage 4 shooting! *runs away screaming*)
Hopefully I can report success from the RTT next weekend. Wish me luck. XD
Hope you have a lovely weekend, for Khorne!!! 
(I like to imagine it's having a lovely weekend at the blood god's decree.)

I run 3 BTs + Skar.  I prefer Hounds to Reavers for battleline.  The Reavers may be board control and they're easy Tithe, but the Hounds get Unbinds, more movement, slightly better attacks, and reroll 1s near BTs.  However, I did definitely run into a numbers problem in a couple match-ups.

Fellow Blood Good followers. I have a query... Slaughterbrute. In the AoS app I can only find the Slaughterbrute under the coalition ally option as a Slaves to Darkness unit. Obviously it has the Khorne keyword. My query is this...

The warscroll states that you can pick a Slaves to Darkness Hero to be it's master. Does this mean using this in a BoK that it doesn't have a master. I'm sure there used to be a specific warscroll for a Slaughterbrute of Khorne.

All help appreciated. Thank you.

My area had a tournament and we discussed how Khorne should change there. Not talking about warscrolls, but the allegiance abilities. We didn't want to make something similar to what has been done by other armies, so there isn't competition with the likes of warclans, slayers, or other melee factions. (I also am doing this because I suggested a 6+ vs spells and we immediately got it ... in our terrible update. Hoping this one goes better. Xp)

1st: All Khorne units get +1 attack to melee profiles on the turn they charge. (Or are charged was discussed, but the second allegiance ability we felt more than made up for that.)

2nd: Whenever a Khorne unit is slain by a melee attack, (or perhaps just slain) it may pile in and attack before being removed. Is this incredibly powerful? Yes. This would make Khorne like no other faction. Don't upgrade the damage/attacks too hard. Make them feel better, but no hard-core upgrades. Khorne is about the grind in this version. Might be too powerful with the thirsters, but testing would be needed.

3rd: Keep the 6+ spell ignore. I like the idea of daemons and shielded units (skullkrushers basically) getting a 5+ instead.

4th: Blood tithe. It's powerful. It's unique. It's fun. Keep it mostly the same. Keep the change from abilities for quality of life purposes.

Thoughts? I know they likely won't do anything with it, but I was going to take the feedback (on allegiance abilities, not warscrolls. Lord knows the help the warscrolls need. Not what this one is about.) and send it to GW. ... Then pray? Maybe this is just a fun exercise. Hope y'all have a good week.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

1st: All Khorne units get +1 attack to melee profiles on the turn they charge. (Or are charged was discussed, but the second allegiance ability we felt more than made up for that.)

Honestly I think you could just change this to +1 attack on all profiles and you'd be ok. With the way coherency has changed in 3rd edition we're losing a bunch of attacks anyway. Maybe if it were too strong then rework the bloodsecrator to do something other than extra attacks like your shielding idea on #3.

2nd: Whenever a Khorne unit is slain by a melee attack, (or perhaps just slain) it may pile in and attack before being removed. Is this incredibly powerful? Yes. This would make Khorne like no other faction. Don't upgrade the damage/attacks too hard. Make them feel better, but no hard-core upgrades. Khorne is about the grind in this version. Might be too powerful with the thirsters, but testing would be needed.

I really like this idea, it's already a bit of a staple on khorne but giving it to everyone would be really fluffy. Honestly it makes more sense too. Being super angry all the time doesn't make you fight any better, in all likelihood the exact opposite as you're more likely to make mistakes, but it might help keep you moving just long enough to take someone with you. I don't think it'd be too strong either, blood warriors already have it and they're still total trash. Even bloodthirsters would be fighting at bottom bracket when they die (at least they do in the current rules) so they're not doing a ton of damage. Maybe a little broken on Skarbrand but then again he should be terrifying to get into combat with. 

3rd: Keep the 6+ spell ignore. I like the idea of daemons and shielded units (skullkrushers basically) getting a 5+ instead.

4th: Blood tithe. It's powerful. It's unique. It's fun. Keep it mostly the same. Keep the change from abilities for quality of life purposes.

Agree on both of these. Like most people I'd want to see the tithe change so you don't have to spend everything every time you use it. I'd also like to see some more thought go into the 8th level as the current rule is just never relevant. Having an army buff that shows up when you've typically lost more than half of your army just isn't worth it. Maybe make it a big damage effect like the brass meteor on steroids. I'm imagining something like the giant flaming sword ability from total war 3. Pick a non-hero unit (khorne doesn't like character sniping, they're the best fights and deserve to get into combat), it takes 8 mortal wounds and any enemy non-hero unit within 8" takes d8 mortal wounds on a roll of a 4+. Then they could bundle a d8 into the khorne dice pack haha. 

Also as an aside for anyone that hasn't played total war 3 yet and loves khorne, you should totally pick it up. The game has some launch issues but Khorne feels absolutely amazing in the game. Going on massive map wide rampages, summoning in hosts drawn to the slaughter of our enemies, and playing as Skarbrand just all feels so right. Watching Skarbrand just rush in and drop kick people to death while throwing his axes in rage and screaming fire at people makes me so happy.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 5

If we are going to stay with little to no rend, low damage and poor saves/no wards, then I maintain that fighting first on the charge would not be unreasonable. That and unspent bloodtithe staying in the bank would just about do it. 

Agree that the 8th level needs reworking as its a bit of a slap that we need to spend 8 tithe to do what Slaanesh already does naturally. If it was +1 damage across the board then that would make up for the fact that half the army is dead by the time it activates. Also if unspent tithe was banked it would potentially become more viable to activate it sooner.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Azlak the Damned said:

Any chance one of the will be a BoK battletome this year?

The Summer chaos tome one is almost certainly Skaven based on the "sneaky" comment in the community article and the fact they havnt had a tome in a long time, no white dwarf tome celestial and their list building is a bit of a mess. Plus there was a new skaven underworlds warband released so thats a safe bet.

We know the Autumn chaos tome wont be slaves and slaanesh is incredibly unlikely as they have the most recent tome (even though they are very much in need of fixing). This puts khorne in a 3 way race with Beasts and Tzeentch. Beasts of Chaos had a very significant tome celestial update so it would appear they are set for a while. Tzeentch is the only one of those not to have a tome celestial article which strongly indicates they are the next to get a tome. However Tzeentch is still going strong in the competitive meta and given how uselss the khorne WD update was, on top of how poorly it is performing in the meta, we must be in with a shot. 

So is there a chance? yes, but we arent favourites by a long shot.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 4:40 PM, Troll.exe said:

RIP Bloodslick ground. But damn there is some interesting stuff in here. Chaos Chosen look badass

061457E8-0DFE-45A0-8C13-C005C0B797DD.jpeg

4DF3E660-B8A3-4C29-92E8-5612E45A1A82.jpeg

Whoa, that's some big changes!  Does that say 8 attacks on the Talons?  At least the Princes will rock some increased damage and a ward save.  Really didn't want to make anything Nurgle but for my StD army that looks like the best one, perhaps Undivided as well.  Shame they lost natural Strike First.  I also hope they have more face options in the kit, not liking the one in the picture.

On 6/4/2022 at 2:10 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Whoa, that's some big changes!  Does that say 8 attacks on the Talons?  At least the Princes will rock some increased damage and a ward save.  Really didn't want to make anything Nurgle but for my StD army that looks like the best one, perhaps Undivided as well.  Shame they lost natural Strike First.  I also hope they have more face options in the kit, not liking the one in the picture.

Damage is kind of a wash overall. You no longer get a weapon and a talon, you have to pick between the two. So instead of 4 sword and 3 claw attacks it's just 8 claw attacks, and no rend or chance for mortal wounds really hurts. The hope is that the allegiance abilities will make the prince playable in S2D but that still won't help in Khorne at all. Odds are there won't be a place for him in any of the god marked armies, which is a shame.

On the plus side it does indeed have different heads, they showed them off during the 40k portion. They all look dramatically better than the AoS head. 

5 hours ago, DrThunder said:

Coalition units still benefit from non allegiance based buffs? Killing Frenzy, Crimson Haze, etc....

Yeah I'm pretty sure that only the tithe table and slaughterhosts were changed to the blades of khorne keyword. As long as the rule only specifies khorne then anything with that keyword gets it. 

• Thanks 1

8 attacks with no rend, 1 dmg is a joke. No longer fights first or +1 to hit on the charge. Went up to 10 wounds yet no monster keyword and now can't benefit from cover or look out sir (6+ ward is OK but doesnt make up for this). No command abilities, just a heroic action (which is used at the expense of any other heroic action you might need) for a minor buff. Only the Nurgle one has a meaningful role against some hard to shift opponents (Gottrek, Fire Slayers and, ironically, Maggotkin of Nurgle being the main ones).

We dont yet know what the God Marks or sub factions will do however as it stands the new daemon prince can't fight and doesnt buff the units around them so there is no role for them in a god marked army and seems doubtful they will even have a role in their own faction.