AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

16 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

I think there is good utility in priests and warshrine at the moment. There are some powerful abilities in the prayers to make use of

Slaughterpriest has bloodbind. This is excellent, pull a unit off an objective or away from a hero. Especially if you couple of with a sacrificial chaos spawn. Now that huge unit of god character has to go run at a rubbish throw away model and risk being charged by it so it’s tied up in combat. For extra lols this could be a unit of furies that redeploy away.

Question. Can a unit of archers which have been hit by bloodbind and run still unleash hell?

Curse is an excellent prayer to get some valuable MW output our army lacks. The best vehicle is the warshrine as it needs to be up close in combat and so is survivable, plus it synergises well with marauders.

Brass Skin is excellent for save stacking with al out defence, finest hour, garrison to negate rend on a valuable unit. I just had a wrath of Khorne blood thirster tank a lot of damage from rend 2 kurnoth hunters.

Bloodboil is still handy

Sacrifice is still good also. Getting tithe move in hero phase avoids redeploy and unleash hell. Or fighting on the hero phase or just a bonus command point.

Skulls are great also. Armies like lumineth will have issues if the 8 goes off and unit leaders get killed.

I think one priest is a must. I am wondering if 2 has value - maybe a priest and warshrine. I may experiment w 2 and a shrine.

I play two slaughterpriests cause I usually play 6 heroes and I do not have a huge collection. I favour killing frenzy and bronzed flesh but I think I should give blood sacrifice a try. I do not have any STD models. Skulls I think are fantastic since they really mess up opponents wizards and they are two models that can block the movement.

1 minute ago, frenk_castle said:

I play two slaughterpriests cause I usually play 6 heroes and I do not have a huge collection. I favour killing frenzy and bronzed flesh but I think I should give blood sacrifice a try. I do not have any STD models. Skulls I think are fantastic since they really mess up opponents wizards and they are two models that can block the movement.

Sacrifice is handy. Getting some extra tithe could be game changing. Getting that exptra point for the unbind. I would probably take it over killing frenzy.

Bromzed flesh is really valuable with the other save stacks available.

Uou aso have utility for the bloodbind. It’s often overlooked as it doesn’t kill things, but having gotrek, Morathi, archaon or a mega gargant have to run at a eg a spawn which then ties them up for a round and has them out of position, giving you the objective. That’s game winning

• Like 1

I really like blood sacrifice and curse for my 2 slaughters. Yes curse is pretty short ranged and basically requires the enemy to have charged you last turn but the universal bless is really nice on my bullgors or even a ghorgon every now and then so he's never got nothing to do.

As others have said blood bind is also very good. One of our only options for taking an objective off a mega gargant might be having them walk away from it.

With the latest FAQ, do you think there is a way to make Vorgaroth & Skalok work? They went up another 150 points which brings them to 1250. In return their damage table looks much better now. Thinking about something like this, could be funny against some armies with a -5 to cast bubble and the canons in combination with the dragon have a pretty decend shooting power.

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Skullfiend Tribe
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
- Triumphs:
Vorgaroth the Scarred & Skalok the Skull Host of Khorne (1250)*
- General
Slaughterpriest (110)*
- Artefact: Crowncleaver
- Prayer: Bronzed Flesh
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)*
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)*
10 x Bloodreavers (80)*
- Meatripper Axes
Skull Cannons (280)*
Hexgorger Skulls (60)
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 80
Drops: 1

Edited by Fuchur
Forgot Hexgorger Skulls in the first version

5 hours ago, Fuchur said:

With the latest FAQ, do you think there is a way to make Vorgaroth & Skalok work? They went up another 150 points which brings them to 1250. In return their damage table looks much better now. Thinking about something like this, could be funny against some armies with a -5 to cast bubble and the canons in combination with the dragon have a pretty decend shooting power.

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Skullfiend Tribe
- Grand Strategy: None Chosen
- Triumphs:
Vorgaroth the Scarred & Skalok the Skull Host of Khorne (1250)*
- General
Slaughterpriest (110)*
- Artefact: Crowncleaver
- Prayer: Bronzed Flesh
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)*
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)*
10 x Bloodreavers (80)*
- Meatripper Axes
Skull Cannons (280)*
Hexgorger Skulls (60)
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 80
Drops: 1

With the alter you will get to -6 casting. I don’t recall if it’s a legal list though at 2k. No one unit can be more than 50% of points

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

With the alter you will get to -6 casting. I don’t recall if it’s a legal list though at 2k. No one unit can be more than 50% of points

The "not more than 50% of the points" rule only appears in the Core Book Battlepack, so it`s a legal list with GHB 2021.

And how do you get -6 to cast? Or do you count the altar in?

On 9/13/2021 at 10:47 AM, Charleston said:

Seeing the new Battletomes for SCE and Orruks I belive that we propably will see a major overhaul of alligience abilities and bloodtithe going away

I do think all our slaughterhosts will be just one "static" ability like SCE ones. But I hope Blood Tithe will not go away. It is one very cool mechanic and if they remove it that would mean all the "summoning" will go away as well. We will see. I do not remember when the blood tithe was removed from 40k but rules for summoning in 40k in 8th and 9th edition are not as nice as in AoS. And I understand some would argue summoning is broken in AoS and it is a valid comment but in 40k summoning is nonexistent practically. And I would like for GW to find a way to make it "more balanced" so it is useful in the game but not oppressive. 

Edited by frenk_castle
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

I’d actually like to see the Blood Tithe go to “before the game starts, declare whether you’ll use it to provide buffs or summon” and see each of the other 3 god specific books gain a similar table with that option. I hope it doesn’t go away

I usually used my Blood Tithe for bonuses. Murderlust or Apoplectic Frenzy. Or if I really got to 7/8 which rarely happened to do Crimson Rain or Slaughter Triumphant. I think I did Brass Skull Meteor once and summoned 20 bloodletters once. I really like Blood Tithe and I hope it stays.

Can't see blood tithe going away. The only changes I would make is that unspent tithe is banked instead of wasted and the cap of 8 is removed. Even if GW removed the system entirely, they would have to replace it with something else or we would effectively not have any allegiance ability at all. 

I would love to see us gain another allegiance ability that aligns with the lore. Something like "khorne units fight at the start of the combat phase if they charged". Would support a get into melee fast style of play and give our glass cannon units a chance to swing before they die and earn blood tithe, without being too OP. 

• Like 1

If we are talking about changes we hope to see for Khorne then allow me to throw my hat into the ring. 

The main problem with the army is an identity crisis. It wants to do lots of damage with bloodthirsters of blobs of infantry, but your units are too slow to be glass cannons and not damaging enough to be competetive. 

The army also wants to be a castle army. You have your heroes with actually good auras and some moderately tanky infantry that attacks when they die. But the problem here your infantry isn't resilient enough and you just lose to shooting. 

I'd love to see the army just chose one of the above paths, preferably the first one would be more thematically appropriate. Give warriors and reavers better speed, give them beter damage, and give them longer reach. Drop the idiotic keyword bingo. Make our million slow moving foot heroes with no command abilities actually fast and viable in combat. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think alpha strike is the direction this army should go in. We already have that in AOS. But I want a melee army that A) can get where it needs to go B) does damage C) gets more powerful the more stuff dies. Keep bloodtithe, make it carry over, warscroll rewrites, and what about a universal pile in when die ability for units under 10 wounds? IDK, I've played khorne since 1st ed, and they've never felt like they should've imo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PivotalCar said:

The main problem with the army is an identity crisis

I definitely agree, this is something that has always irked me ever since I started playing this army. I get that GW can't make every army fit their fluff exactly otherwise pretty much everyone would be stupid good (except CoS, they'd get stomped lol), but I feel like they could have done a much better job with Khorne, our problem is we have a bunch of "eh" shenanigans that can maybe do a little something if you string them all together and get lucky, but we don't really have a specific gimmick or theme to our army, at least as reflected by our rules.

It seems like we have just enough in the battletome to be like "Oh if I take this and this and that, I can zoom some bloodreavers across the board turn 1 and do an Alpha strike thingy." which sounds cool but then you run into the sad reality that bloodreavers fold like wet paper towels in combat and your buffs don't reach far enough for them to even do anything before they die.

Another gripe I have is the almost chess player like mentality you must have to effectively play this army. It's not that I dislike the fact that you have to be psychotic about lining up your buffs and whatnot, it's part of AoS, but the degree to which we have to focus on it doesn't fit at all. Imagine Bloodreavers running forward into enemy lines and then being like "Hold up lads, we gotta stay close to our bloodsecrator for them extra attacks, Hrothgar, Ulvar, y'all are too far out, step back a little bit... ok cool there we go, continue on" Ideally khorne should be a wind em up and let em go type of army, our units should be good enough to hang on their own, but should be really good if we stack everything right.

Other than the ones already mentioned, here are some major changes I would love to see:

1. Army wide run and charge. Ok maybe not as an allegiance ability, but if you could get this through a slaughterhost (probably Goretide) that would be game changing, and mayyyybe (probably) a little broken, but one can dream. At least make goretide's CA available on all units (not just 'reavers and blood warriors) and maybe usable on like a couple different units at once.

2. A good beatstick infantry hero for mortals, pretty much mortal heroes only use is buffing our units which is sad. Ideally someone a littly tanky (8+ wounds, 3+ save) with a decent number of attacks and a 2-3 wound damage profile. The juggerlord is a good candidate for just a simple warscroll change.

3. Something that gives us conditional battleshock immunity (or army wide all the time, like OBR has that but not us? come on GW) It would totally fit with Khorne's schtick I have no idea why we don't have easier access to it.

• Like 3

GW doesn't seem to have the lore-bug in their rules like they used to.  

I mean for Khorne's straight up martial prowess, they should add 1 to their hits or attacks on the charge.  

For axes, they should be rend -2 or something more deadly on hits of 6.

I feel they should also have some sort of kunnin' like Orruks have.  At least a few units can attack when they die...and they do anti-magic reasonably well.  That's fluffy.

I agree the Blood Tithe is cool and should stay, but also agree that it should bank and not cap at 8.  Tzeentch's Fate Points certainly don't!  And they can easily get 9 of those per turn if they want to.  Our stuff has to die to get even close, and the Tithe doesn't make up for lost units, forcing us to take MSUs for ****** just to have Blood Tithe.  I think a tally of dead enemy models to donate to the Throne would be better.  Depending on the size of the donation you can get a coffee cup, or a set of DVDs, and even a beach towel!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think a tally of dead enemy models to donate to the Throne would be better.  Depending on the size of the donation you can get a coffee cup, or a set of DVDs, and even a beach towel!

Does anyone else remember the old skullreaper rules where you kept a tally of killed units? Finiky and bad? yes. Fun and khornate? Hell yeah. 

• Like 1

If you want to know how Khorne should play according to their Lore, look no further than Iron Jaws or Daughters.

Iron Jaws are in your face first first turn with multiple units, loads of attacks, high damage, fighting before you if they destroy a unit. Its fun, its fluffy, its not OP and very far from chess. Would be ideal if Khorne played the same way, except with no wizards and some anti-magic shenanigans. 

• Like 4

Next up is gonna be a Doombull with two axes made out of Bloodthirster leftover bits with modified bullgor torso. Not as hard as it sounds, if you have a Skarbrand box you have extra legs which is the tough bit. 

oh, and this is going to be for sale when it’s finished. 

Edited by TimeToWaste85
  • Like 1