AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

17 minutes ago, Fuchur said:

Short question, if I combine the 6 inches Pile In from UF Bloodthirster with double attack from Reapers, how far can I pile in the second time I attack?Another 6 inches as long as there is an enemy whithin 3 inches who triggers the double attack? Or just flat 3?

Nope.  Only 3 on the second one.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Played the game on Saturday and noticed something in the battletome and I wanted clarification. This was the first time I played Skarbrand so that is why I never read some of the rules in depth.

We have Locust of Fury ability:

You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made by friendly KHORNE DAEMON units while they are wholly within 12" of any friendly KHORNE DAEMON HEROES, or wholly within 16" of any friendly KHORNE GREATER DAEMONS.

Now Bloodthirster of Insentiate Rage has Rage Unbound:

You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made by this model if it made a charge move in the same turn.

This ability seems redundant in a Blades of Khorne list. If I am reading correctly Bloodthirster of Insentiate rage will always be in his own aura and will always get reroll 1 to hit from Locust of Fury. So Rage Unbound ability seems like is only useful if he is allied in non Khorne list.

Am I right or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, frenk_castle said:

Hi guys,

Played the game on Saturday and noticed something in the battletome and I wanted clarification. This was the first time I played Skarbrand so that is why I never read some of the rules in depth.

We have Locust of Fury ability:

You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made by friendly KHORNE DAEMON units while they are wholly within 12" of any friendly KHORNE DAEMON HEROES, or wholly within 16" of any friendly KHORNE GREATER DAEMONS.

Now Bloodthirster of Insentiate Rage has Rage Unbound:

You can re-roll hit rolls of 1 for attacks made by this model if it made a charge move in the same turn.

This ability seems redundant in a Blades of Khorne list. If I am reading correctly Bloodthirster of Insentiate rage will always be in his own aura and will always get reroll 1 to hit from Locust of Fury. So Rage Unbound ability seems like is only useful if he is allied in non Khorne list.

Am I right or am I missing something?

It's spelled out in the FAQ that its specifically so he rerolls 1s outside of BoK.

Well he survived 2 FAQs ! So have fun with him. And we can even run a Bloodlords list. You make him general and give the artefact so he is a 3+ save, 9" move, fight at the start phase and is able to deal a lot of wound ^^. He can reroll hit roll versus hero to fish for 6s and if he score a hit and pass the save it's 3 damage! 

It can be fun but i have other things to paint sadly

If we accept Skulltaker isn't unique then what warlord trait or artifact would benefit him most? I kind of like skullfiend tribe to reward him killing characters AND give him 2 more attacks base with crowncleaver.

Unrelated but adding on so I'm not double posting.

I've decided based on my local meta that running a 6 drop list isn't worth it and since my only options to bring that down are to miss out on our loads of good artifacts I'm changing my list to 2 warlord detachments and an alpha beast pack.

So my question is, do I take crown of command on the demon prince (great command ability I want to use evey turn but pushes the throne breakers torque I'm required to take off onto idk the bloodsecrator? Which wastes the 2+ save hed be getting garriosoning the altar).

Do I take the talisman of burning blood to add even more buffing to my bloodsecrator on altar. This is the one I most want to do as I assume the extra CP from warlord detachments will make up for the crimson crown but I worry that just puts an even bigger target on him.

Do I take the crimson plate for a 2+ rr, armor save on the all important bloodsecrator 

Or do I do the most boring option and just stick the amulet of destiny on the bloodsecrator and call it a day.

List below for comparison (just imagine the batallions are double warlord + beastpack + hunters of the heartland). Realisitcally I should drop the ghorgon but I have them and I like them.

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Grand Strategy: Predator's Domain
- Triumphs: Inspired
Bloodsecrator (125)***
Khorghos Khul (165)**
- General
Slaughterpriest (110)***
- Prayer: Blood Sacrifice
Slaughterpriest (110)***
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)**
- Sword
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (225)**
- Artefact: Gorecleaver
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
10 x Bloodreavers (80)**
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (80)**
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (80)**
- Meatripper Axes
6 x Bullgors (310)**
- Pairs of Axes
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Wrathmongers (155)**
Ghorgon (170)*
Ghorgon (170)*
*Alpha-Beast Pack
**Battle Regiment
***Command Entourage - Magnificent
Artefact

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137
Drops: 6

Edited by The Red King

9 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

Depending on your local players armies, anyone with any sense will try to nuke the prince off w magic. So I would be looking for the artefacts that give ignore effects of spell on a 2+ or a ward save if not possible. Garrisoning him in the alter makes him very hard to kill as it

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm on mobile. The bloodsecrator is in the Garrison. The prince is out and about.

My thinking is that the armies that would prioritize the prince are not the armies that can blast him off the table with MW from range. The thronebreaker torque is honestly just not a very good artifact in 3.0 but I like Goretide for the giant bubble of rr's that khul gives out to my coalition units. 

Edited by The Red King

Try to take the skulls now that they don't disappear at the end of any round. Even versus non magic the big maw crusha won't be able to land on them for instance 😛 I guess it's tricky but not impossible to learn how to place them correctly.

The ability to neuter charge or run is worth it against all armies, even heavy range / magic one as they need to lock your units so you are not able to move freely trying to catch easy prey. And buffing the Daemon Prince survivability(amulet of destiny is a khornsend) versus BM and in melee is worth it because after the big rumble when every one is in melee you can go behind enemy line and try to kill some small heroes and that's sometimes our only way. Thronebreaker on the Bloodsecrator is nice because you will be moving with him at some point and he won't be able to stay in the Altar all the game. Daemon prince in the Altar is nice too.

As you say, with two warlords i never feel naked for the hero phase CA of the daemon prince. 

One thing i do often lately with the two warlords is i take a chaos lord on daemonic mount and give him mark of the slayer it will be like korghos khul CA only on 12" but it's free (doesn't cost any money) and he moves 10" and have a small base. So get rid of the Karkalord to whom we can't give hew the foe and take a Juggerlord instead of Korghos and that way he is much more durable than korghos and can get hew the foe and even thronebreaker torc(well we won't be able to increase it's save though). The chaos lord on daemonic mount is able to deal a few mortal wounds too with increase numbers of attacks  and can survive to mortal wounds too.

Korghos is only 6 HP and will melt to quickly even with his 3+ save. It's nice to have him with 8" pile in and his special axe but he is a general so there is no reason the enemy will loose one easy point gained on him. (I'm pretty sure in the next BoK book he will be general even if not designed)

That way you get the 60 points needed for the not so useless skulls 

Karkalord cant go anywhere because he's my only use for a converted dragon ogre shaggoth that took me a lot of effort lol

But on a tactical note I really dont like the idea of trading 6 inches off the reroll range for 2 wounds (which I wouldn't really call MUCH more durability) as our auras are already super restrictive.

EDIT: I might try the khorne lord on juggernaut over chaos lord on karkadrak since they're the same base size it shouldn't be a problem and it leaves enough points to take the skulls if I want to try them.

Edited by The Red King

yeah, the thing about the chaos lord on daemonic mount is that he is small, 8 wound on 4+ save and you only take him for the reroll 1 hit artefact. And people will leave him alone because he doesn't look important. The artefact is for a free reroll and every CP is important ^^. 

But my opinion isn't objective i just used an old metalic miniature for this sculpt and i'm loving  the vintage vibe 😛

Sans titre.png

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 9/9/2021 at 11:47 AM, TimeToWaste85 said:

Is there any use to Valkia under new rules? Currently finishing up a conversion of her

21B548A0-97B1-4B7A-9DAA-728F66D4B914.jpeg

edit: kind of answered my own question. Debuffs to hit and wound, has an innate 3+ and can give morale refills (risky). Definitely have a place for this Valkyrie. 

Next picture will be fully painted. Sculpting is done, made a few small changes to feet area and the shield. Had to fix the horns 

0F73B7B8-223F-41F5-A9DE-84195DB6B971.jpeg

3124DF1F-12AE-444E-9204-95AD1BF3B1DD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

Given that clarification in FAQ confirmed that priests can only chant one prayer and "judgements" count as invocations so priest can either chant a prayer or invocation or remove other priests invocation what is the threats though on priests and prayers?

I am leaning toward having at least one priest, cause with out one you can not "deal" with opponents invocations. Heroic willpower can allow regular hero to unbind or dispel but to remove invocation you need a priest. Now depending on your "local meta" you may not have armies that use invocations but if you want to build an "all corners lists" one priest looks like a potentially good investment.

As for our invocations Bleeding Icon I think is not worth it. Looks like the weakest of the three. Skulls look really good against wizards. Not sure how prevalent magic will be in 3rd but icons paired with Altar, Bloodsecrator and potential multiple ways to unbind seems like it can cause a lot of problems to magic heavy lists. Axe I am still thinking about. If the opponent has no wizards and no priests Axe look like a nice MW dealer that can not so easily be dealt with but I am not sure how often this scenario would happen.

In the end to me Skulls look like a best option and something I would consider for more competitive games.

What are your thought?

59 minutes ago, PivotalCar said:

Absolutely. Just as long as that priest is the warshine and not the slaughterpriest lol.

Skulls are also the only judgment worth it these days. Icon is trash, and axe is way too expensive.

But the warshrine only benefits allied S2D units like the prince and maybe a chaos lord or something.

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

But the warshrine only benefits allied S2D units like the prince and maybe a chaos lord or something.

With his warscroll prayer yeah (although, not the prince since he isn't mortal), but you can still give him a prayer from the khorne book and of course the judgement. Since he can only chant one thing at a time anyway it shouldn't be much of an issue. Turn 1 is the skulls, then turns 2-3 are using the khorne book prayer or putting the skulls back up. Late game he tosses the prayer of undivided from his warscroll on himself and goes to wreck face somewhere with full rerolls. 

2 hours ago, PivotalCar said:

Absolutely. Just as long as that priest is the warshine and not the slaughterpriest lol.

Skulls are also the only judgment worth it these days. Icon is trash, and axe is way too expensive.

Honestly I'm thinking the axe might actually be worth it. It's moving every hero phase and tossing out 2-3 d3 mortal wounds per turn. If you manage to get it into the back line with support heroes it could shred them pretty quickly. It only pops if you roll a 6 on the roll to check after it finishes moving, so it's pretty likely to stick around for quite a while. It's tough to be sure though, it'll need some play time for sure. The biggest issue is skulls are so valuable that you typically want to take them first, so an axe might dictate that you need a second priest which is extremely hard to justify. 

I forgot he got a book prayer. Doesnt he have to give himself the khorne mark to be coalitioned in though?

Anyway I finally finished 5 of my 30 *bloodreavers* proxy gors for my skullfray army. Pics hopefully incoming.

Okay had some compression issues so heres an imgur link.

http://imgur.com/a/QzBkxLo

Edited by The Red King

9 hours ago, frenk_castle said:

Given that clarification in FAQ confirmed that priests can only chant one prayer and "judgements" count as invocations so priest can either chant a prayer or invocation or remove other priests invocation what is the threats though on priests and prayers?

I am leaning toward having at least one priest, cause with out one you can not "deal" with opponents invocations. Heroic willpower can allow regular hero to unbind or dispel but to remove invocation you need a priest. Now depending on your "local meta" you may not have armies that use invocations but if you want to build an "all corners lists" one priest looks like a potentially good investment.

As for our invocations Bleeding Icon I think is not worth it. Looks like the weakest of the three. Skulls look really good against wizards. Not sure how prevalent magic will be in 3rd but icons paired with Altar, Bloodsecrator and potential multiple ways to unbind seems like it can cause a lot of problems to magic heavy lists. Axe I am still thinking about. If the opponent has no wizards and no priests Axe look like a nice MW dealer that can not so easily be dealt with but I am not sure how often this scenario would happen.

In the end to me Skulls look like a best option and something I would consider for more competitive games.

What are your thought?

I think there is good utility in priests and warshrine at the moment. There are some powerful abilities in the prayers to make use of

Slaughterpriest has bloodbind. This is excellent, pull a unit off an objective or away from a hero. Especially if you couple of with a sacrificial chaos spawn. Now that huge unit of god character has to go run at a rubbish throw away model and risk being charged by it so it’s tied up in combat. For extra lols this could be a unit of furies that redeploy away.

Question. Can a unit of archers which have been hit by bloodbind and run still unleash hell?

Curse is an excellent prayer to get some valuable MW output our army lacks. The best vehicle is the warshrine as it needs to be up close in combat and so is survivable, plus it synergises well with marauders.

Brass Skin is excellent for save stacking with al out defence, finest hour, garrison to negate rend on a valuable unit. I just had a wrath of Khorne blood thirster tank a lot of damage from rend 2 kurnoth hunters.

Bloodboil is still handy

Sacrifice is still good also. Getting tithe move in hero phase avoids redeploy and unleash hell. Or fighting on the hero phase or just a bonus command point.

Skulls are great also. Armies like lumineth will have issues if the 8 goes off and unit leaders get killed.

I think one priest is a must. I am wondering if 2 has value - maybe a priest and warshrine. I may experiment w 2 and a shrine.

Edited by Praecautus

52 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

Rules question. Bloodletters have this rule:

STANDARD BEARERS: 1 in every 10 models in this unit can either be a Bloodsoaked Banner Bearer or Gore-drenched Icon Bearer.

Does this means I can get both banner in a unit of 10 or if I want both banners I need unit of 20.

Yes. If you have 20 then you can have 2 banners of your choice.

Fun list I just threw together and used against my son and nephew playing sylvaneth.

Reapers of vengeance 

Grand strategy: pillars of belief (not sure the best choice)

Wrath of Khorne bloodthirster, general, Mage eater, skullshard mantle

Lord of Khorne on juggernaut, gorecleaver

Deamon prince of Khorne, crimson crown

Slaughterpriest, brass skin

blood secrator

Blood stoker 

Blood reavers 10 meat ripper axes

Bloodreavers 10 meatripper axes

Bloodwarriors 10 Gorefists

Warthmongers 5

skullreapers 5

skullreapers 5

Hexgorger skulls

Skull alter

The prince shuts down movement, making sure to garrison

The WokBT kills off magic and has same handy hero sniping shooting. W brass skin and all out defence he is hard to take down.

Both can take advantage of RoV ability to pile in twice as needed. Prince has handy fight first. I would build him w sword for MWs

priest is there to make BT hard to kill and do bloodbind.

Bloodstoker and blood secrator are great support heros

Reavers screen or grab objectives

Bloodwarriorrs. Can grab an objective and MW what tries to take them off

wrathmongers give extra attacks and MW bomb on death

skullreapers melt hordes and give MW. Their speed is less of an issue on these smaller boards, especially w the stoker 

Its not a top tier list by far, but it should hold its own