AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, Salyx said:

You can still build Archaon with flaming weapons by equipping a hero with the book, so that He can cast Flaming Weapon. That uses up all your enhancements, but it is possible. 

About the Bloodthirsters: You can never have enough Insensate Rage Thirsters ;) . For tactical reasons, the Unfettered Fury Thirster seems to be the most viable because of that 6" pile-in.

However, the Wrath of Khorne Thirster has some nice abilities as well. In Reapers of Vengeance, he can unbind 2 spells with a +2 Bonus and his shooting attacks are a nice Bonus. His command Ability looks good on paper. Nevertheless, it is outclassed by the Unfettered Fury Thirster's Command Ability. 

Skarbrand is the worst choice for Bloodthirsters. He can be devastating in melee if He gets there. If. He cannot fly, so he can be screened. He has 0 extra protection compared to other Thirsters so the opponent will put much effort into shooting him off, which will, depending in the army, not be very much. 

I have run Khorne daemons exclusively since our last tome and Skarbrand is definitely not to be underestimated.

If Skarbrand is on the board your wrathmongers become your second most valuable asset. Run a double screen in front of him to allow for losing a priority roll. Blood sacrifice to get up to 3 blood tithe quicker to position him. Fight screens with screens. When he’s in range run your screens to the side. Target an area with at least 2 units within 3” of each other. If you need to use Murderlust now is the time. Run your wrathmongers up beside him in a Congo line to reduce their footprint and keep them out of the way and keep that bloodsecrator in range. The idea is to make the charge on a unit, pile in around them and attack the second. You have to ensure that you don’t kill everything in the first attack(which is easily done at +2 attacks). Pile in again towards more valuable units in behind. If you had to leave something alive behind to a stay in combat, clean it up on the second attack. You can essentially pile in 5” away from the wrathmongers and delete everything within 7” regardless how you roll on slaughter because carnage is still going off on a 1. Aim to execute in the top of a battle round so you have 2 combat phases at full strength. Try and time relentless fury with his death, with maximum wounds applied before removing him from play he’s on his highest damage profile. If it’s your opponents combat phase stack relentless fury with Leave none alive so he attacks twice after they’ve killed him.

You can split attacks as Necessary to leave enough alive for the retaliation to inflict roughly 7 wounds. If I’m in that type of scenario, maybe I was forced to make my play at the bottom of the battle round, I’ll often aim for 7 wounds inflicted in return. If I lose priority I’ll use murderlust to move a screen in to protect him or relentless fury. A 3+ on carnage seems to be the sweet spot for subsequent rounds.

48-96 mortal wounds going off on a 1+ plus 22 attacks on slaughter has won me the game countless times. It’s a bit of a game of chess to get him where he needs to go but it’s doable and absolutely devastating.

• Thanks 2

On 8/4/2021 at 7:52 AM, Praecautus said:

I’ve been reading the rules as uniques don’t get enhancements, that includes spells, which are considered to be an enhancement. Happy to be wrong though, we have kroak in another army we own

Correct; unique characters do not get access to the universal spell lores/enhancements however thanks to the FaQ unique characters do get access to the spell lore of their faction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any tips out there vs Thunderlizards? I've been throwing stuff at the wall to see what could stick but its just so tough. There's just so much damage 3 shooting (30+ shots) Thirsters can't do much cause they'll get blown away. Tried going daemon heavy for the rr1s to hit and wound (locus + Bloodlords) but after saves its still just plinking off a wound or two.

They're just so efficient right now, lots of high D shooting, -1D and 1+/3+ saves make them SUPER tanky, no wasted points on battleline tax, and they score double for the battle tactics every round because everything is being done by monsters. I don't really get what we have that can counter them. I really miss my Goretide Karkadrak right about now...

Theory crafting “what the hell is he thinking” list…

Archaon 

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury

bloodstoker

bloodsecrator

3x10 Bloodreavers

allied Be’Lakor 

emerald life swarm ES. 

Be’Lakor does his thing on a double turn, Bloodstoker whips Archaon (yeah, no joke, he’s out of his mind) for the +3 to run and the reroll wounds to fish for 6’s. The charge is unnecessary, because the Bloodthirster grants a 6” pile-in to Archaon. You’re guaranteed a 24” MIMINUM movement on Archaon with no charge reactions possible. I have to revisit my Blades book to determine which sub faction, if any, but the ‘Thirster is probably getting the 5++ artifact. Three big scary monsters with serious board control presence, the ability to ignore charge reactions, and can shut down god-characters. I think I found my BoK list. With 1190pts from S2D and an Endless Spell 😂

Edited by TimeToWaste85
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

I’m considering getting some khorne daemons for AOS but also usable in 40K. What do I get? 

A typical daemon list is going to be 3 or maybe 4 bloodthirsters. Usually a rage thirster, Skarbrand and then one of each of the others.

Flesh hounds are ‘decent’ battleline and you may also want skulltaker and a blob of bloodletters.

Daemon prince is decent to add as he has a good aura i.e., halve run and charge in 18” radius

3 hours ago, Praecautus said:

A typical daemon list is going to be 3 or maybe 4 bloodthirsters. Usually a rage thirster, Skarbrand and then one of each of the others.

Flesh hounds are ‘decent’ battleline and you may also want skulltaker and a blob of bloodletters.

Daemon prince is decent to add as he has a good aura i.e., halve run and charge in 18” radius

Thank you!! 

5 hours ago, Skipsalajan said:

Quick question, i just bought the new core rules, but there are no more battalions? I cant run my bloodthirster list anymore , where they all attack at the same time ?

What is the prevalent demon list you see played nowadays?

Depend if you are looking Archaon as a Daemon 😛

But if you mean daemon as bloodthirster just look 3 post upward

Sooooo. Theoretical situation.

Say you don't want to play Archeon. Becuase he's boring and better in Tzeentch or Slannesh. And say you don't want to run STD for the same reason. And say you don't want to run Bloodthirsters becuase you think they look stupid. You're options are goretide or skullfiend tribe. I think Khorgoraths may be better than goretide know. Like sure Goretide lets you throw bloodwarriors across the board, but then they'll die to a stiff breeze without dealing any damage because 32mm and 1" range. But I'm thinking that 2 khorgoraths with a skullgrinder can make a meaty hammer for a low cost. You can have skullreapers and a bloodstoker as another hammer and just bog down objectives with waves of bloodreavers and warriors. Flesh hounds can just run up the side of the board and threaten the other guy's wizards. Sure everything is slow, but that's really something you can fix. Like I don't think it's good, but I think this mortal list could be not bad. Thoughts?

Sample idk-

Mighty lord

bloodstoker

skullgrinder

2x bloodsecrator

aspiring DB

2x10 Blood warrior

3X10 reavers

flesh hounds

2x khorgoraths (rienforced)

Skullreapers

Wrathmongers

Imma take something like this to this weekend's tourny. Definetly not hoping for a win, but I think I can get maybe get 2-1 if I'm lucky. 

i don't know, you won't be able to score easy points with monsters, you will be slow and only khorgorath + skullreapers are able to deal damage .. the blood warriors are not that usefull now that there is less saturation so .. and no priest ? 

Yeah i don't see how you are gonna score enough points but i'm not visionaire

7 hours ago, PivotalCar said:

Sooooo. Theoretical situation.

Say you don't want to play Archeon. Becuase he's boring and better in Tzeentch or Slannesh. And say you don't want to run STD for the same reason. And say you don't want to run Bloodthirsters becuase you think they look stupid. You're options are goretide or skullfiend tribe. I think Khorgoraths may be better than goretide know. Like sure Goretide lets you throw bloodwarriors across the board, but then they'll die to a stiff breeze without dealing any damage because 32mm and 1" range. But I'm thinking that 2 khorgoraths with a skullgrinder can make a meaty hammer for a low cost. You can have skullreapers and a bloodstoker as another hammer and just bog down objectives with waves of bloodreavers and warriors. Flesh hounds can just run up the side of the board and threaten the other guy's wizards. Sure everything is slow, but that's really something you can fix. Like I don't think it's good, but I think this mortal list could be not bad. Thoughts?

Sample idk-

Mighty lord

bloodstoker

skullgrinder

2x bloodsecrator

aspiring DB

2x10 Blood warrior

3X10 reavers

flesh hounds

2x khorgoraths (rienforced)

Skullreapers

Wrathmongers

Imma take something like this to this weekend's tourny. Definetly not hoping for a win, but I think I can get maybe get 2-1 if I'm lucky. 

I really like skullfiend and mortals fluff and models wise, so would be really interested to see how you do.  
If you want feedback on using this list at the weekend presumably you just want suggestions based on what models you’ve got, so…. have you got anything that you’re not using? 

25 minutes ago, PivotalCar said:

I've got two priests and the other foot heroes, and 2 more units of reavers and 1 of warriors. Also another unit of reapers and 6 mighty skull crushers. Also have some daemons but want to avoid those. 

You think adding skullcrushers could work out?

I’m not sure how useful Bloodwarriors are outside of Goretide.  Maybe swap those 2 units for 1 each of crushers and reapers? Either MLK or Skullgrinder could benefit from warlord trait and artefact, but not both so maybe also swap grinder for priest (extra unbind probably helpful too).  MLK with 5 attacks and axe power with r/r 1s to hit does have hero killing potential (if not shot first), although quite swingy…

16 hours ago, Skipsalajan said:

So the list stays the same as in aos 2 without the warscroll batallion shenanigans. That sounds kinda vanilla doesn't it?

well we are not paying for the battalion .. i would say pick at least one warlord. The only daemons that are good are bloodthirsters and flesh hound ... you need to get the daemon prince in STD. Yeah it stays the same but worse in the way only one CA issued or received (we can get ok with aura CA) and no batallion cheat. But we have now smaller board and amulet of fate that is rocking on bloodthirsters and we can heal them. And we have a CA to be full profile. You can ****** off Yndrasta with skarbrand too ! I'd say that if you are using bloodthirsters you need to find way to get bloodtithe so a slaughterpriest with blood sacrifice is mandatory. Anyway, if you want the most competitive list we have access to it but only with archaon. If you are not using archaon list you are mostly going to struggle versus top tiers lists. But you can mix daemon and mortals better in this edition and only bring daemon prince and one bloodthirster along beast of chaos, STD and bloodbound units you will be able to do thing. Just not versus high meta lists and i thing it's the same for a lot of armies.

6 hours ago, Perturbato said:

well we are not paying for the battalion .. i would say pick at least one warlord. The only daemons that are good are bloodthirsters and flesh hound ... you need to get the daemon prince in STD. Yeah it stays the same but worse in the way only one CA issued or received (we can get ok with aura CA) and no batallion cheat. But we have now smaller board and amulet of fate that is rocking on bloodthirsters and we can heal them. And we have a CA to be full profile. You can ****** off Yndrasta with skarbrand too ! I'd say that if you are using bloodthirsters you need to find way to get bloodtithe so a slaughterpriest with blood sacrifice is mandatory. Anyway, if you want the most competitive list we have access to it but only with archaon. If you are not using archaon list you are mostly going to struggle versus top tiers lists. But you can mix daemon and mortals better in this edition and only bring daemon prince and one bloodthirster along beast of chaos, STD and bloodbound units you will be able to do thing. Just not versus high meta lists and i thing it's the same for a lot of armies.

Thank you for the detailed answer. Highly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Charleston said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/OxxwznfmQqsp7Kdo.pdf

Judgements are now confirmed usefull as they now only disappear when their 6-effect is triggered.

Came here to say this, finally that half-measure change is gone and is just standard invocation.

Any ruling on summoning invocations = performing a prayer?

ie can do both in one phase?

Edited by CrimsonKing

10 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Came here to say this, finally that half-measure change is gone and is just standard invocation.

Any ruling on summoning invocations = performing a prayer?

ie can do both in one phase?

There's a ruling in the core FAQ yeah, on page 5. Summoning an invocation counts as a prayer for the priest. Seems like my slaughterpriests are officially relegated to the shelf until we get a new battletome, too bad really.