AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, Pathies said:

With that it mind, what do you guys think of this list? I just threw it together! Maybe flesh hounds instead of skullcrushers for the speed and dispell? I kinda like the mobile anvil though

Bloodmad.pdf 806.45 kB · 1 download

No no, that looks really good!  I like that it's a pure mortals list.  Besides, you can probably summon Flesh Hounds at some point anyways if you want.

My Khorne army idea for today is a priestly Beasts of Khorne army:

Bloodsecrator

2 Slaughterpriests

1 Doombull

2 allied Plague Priests (Nurgle is okay for allies to Khorne right?)

3x10 Gors w shields

6 and 3 Bullgors w great axes

6 and 3 Bullgors w shields and axes

Brass Despoilers

Wrath Axe

Nice thing about priests is they can't be unbound, though they can kill themselves with bad praying.  They could be dishing out quite a few MW.  Just a weird thing I thought of after I found my old Skaven Plague Priest in with my Bullgors.

I just saw Khorgoraths don't have the Monster keyword.  Didn't they used to have that?  Scylla Anfingrimm used to also.  Skaarac the Bloodborn is a gigantic Khorgorath, and his CA would be super awesome if it let Khorgoraths run and charge, and he should also let them be battleline if he was the general.  Really missed opportunity there Forgeworld!  

Also, Gigantic Chaos Spawn are Legends now?  LAAAAAME.  Skaarac with 3 of those would so bloody fun.  Sad panda here :(

15 minutes ago, IHaveNoPaintAndIMustMeme said:

Hey yall, 

Im new to the Khorne army and I think blood warriors look absolutely awesome. I am wondering if they are decent on the table top or if they are outshined by other options from allies?

As amazing as they look, Unfortunately, they are pretty bad on the table. Defensively, they are outshined by Chaos Warriors and offensively, by almost everything. 

Nevertheless, they are mandatory for many bataillons, for example the most popular Gore Pilgrims. 

If you want to play them and not only use them for Bataillon requirements, you should use 10 of them for the Goreglaive. 

Another use I have thought of, but never really tried, would be a maxed unit in a Slaughterborn Bataillon, so they ignore one point of Rend. Put them into Goretide for that sweet run and charge, Bless them with +1 save, whip them with the Bloodstoker and let them fly across the field. They will hold up the whole enemy army for some turns while you can score Objectives. 

However, that brick role can be played by Skullcrushers as well and they are better at it.

• Like 2

@IHaveNoPaintAndIMustMemepersonally I like them but I haven’t heard great things. Like @Salyx said, They don’t really have a ton of output and there are other more defensive options like chaos warriors. It’s funny though, I had a similar thought about a block of 15 in a slaughterborn battalion - I agree that skullcrushers do work as an anvil, but I think if you whip and CA those blood warriors they can fly across

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I just saw Khorgoraths don't have the Monster keyword.  Didn't they used to have that? 

Khorgoraths' keywords have long bewildered me--not monsters, neither mortal nor daemon. Though I guess if they could benefit from all Mortal Khorne buffs, they'd be an absolute nightmare to play against!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zamik said:

Khorgoraths' keywords have long bewildered me--not monsters, neither mortal nor daemon. Though I guess if they could benefit from all Mortal Khorne buffs, they'd be an absolute nightmare to play against!

Were they never monsters then?  Thought they were originally.  Beasts of Chaos are neither mortal or daemon either, but at least they can all get prayers and Bloodsecrator on them.  They can be so good in the Skullfiend Tribe, but they have no thematic leadership.  At least Wrathmongers finally got Skar Bloodwrath to do something for them cuz flails.

5 hours ago, IHaveNoPaintAndIMustMeme said:

Hey yall, 

Im new to the Khorne army and I think blood warriors look absolutely awesome. I am wondering if they are decent on the table top or if they are outshined by other options from allies?

I agree with the other inputs, a large block backed by a Bloodstoker (use a CP to let them run 6" when using the Goretide run and charge) can be a great first strike speedbump for someone.  While not as tanky as Skullcrushers, they can do MW back to enemies that strike them on 6s for their saves.  That's pretty handy.  They could provide good screening and whittling down effects whilst your other units move up for the 2nd turn counterpunch.

And if you magnetize little bolt pistols and backpacks for them, you can use them as amazing looking Berzerkers for 40k too!

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Were they never monsters then?  Thought they were originally.  Beasts of Chaos are neither mortal or daemon either, but at least they can all get prayers and Bloodsecrator on them.  They can be so good in the Skullfiend Tribe, but they have no thematic leadership.  At least Wrathmongers finally got Skar Bloodwrath to do something for them cuz flails.

Oops, just looked through the book that came with the AoS 1 starter. They used to have the Monster keyword. Just realized also that the Bloodstoker's Whipped to Fury ability applied more generously to Khorne units. Why did they have to change that!?

• Like 1

@Zamik wrath of khorne bloddthirster's command ability used to let a unit of daemons run and charge. Combined with the bloodstoker it was a common tactic for mobs of bloodletters to alphastrike. 

The mortal wounds were on 6+ to hit, which meant 5+ in units of 20 or more and 4+ if you put killing frenzy on them. It put out a disgusting amount of mortal wounds but once your opponent knew what you could do they just screened their important stuff and the bloodletters still died to a strong breeze. 

Obviously GW thought that was too OP so run & charge command ability disappeared and stoker become locked to buffing mortals only. 

As for Khorgoraths, I can understand them not being mortal but lacking at least daemon or monster keyword seems odd. Even if they could receive a few buffs via having any of those keywords it would hardly be OP compared to what else is out there in the game. 

On the topic of skullreapers, I ran 10 in a bloodmad warband recently and it was insane. Wrathmongers, aspiring deathbringer,  bloodsecrator in support, wiped to fury with killing frenzy on the charge. I had to use bloodtithe movement to get them into position but it was well worth it when they ran through a fresh unit of pink horrors. 31 mortal wounds and 60 saves lol.  They’re just brutal ah. I need more haha.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 9:16 PM, Pathies said:

@Lord Krungharrit definitely looks interesting!! I like the anti horde that the plague priest brings - any thoughts on a slaughterhost? Flayed could give you a nice relic and trait but so could skullfiend!

Hmmm, I gotta look closer at those Slaughterhosts.  I run Khorne with the Beasts so usually don't even bother.  What's this Flayed one, a Broken Realms version?

17 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

@Zamik wrath of khorne bloddthirster's command ability used to let a unit of daemons run and charge. Combined with the bloodstoker it was a common tactic for mobs of bloodletters to alphastrike. 

The mortal wounds were on 6+ to hit, which meant 5+ in units of 20 or more and 4+ if you put killing frenzy on them. It put out a disgusting amount of mortal wounds but once your opponent knew what you could do they just screened their important stuff and the bloodletters still died to a strong breeze. 

Obviously GW thought that was too OP so run & charge command ability disappeared and stoker become locked to buffing mortals only. 

Yeah they took the slightly overkill approach of not just removing one component of the combo, but nuking the whole thing from orbit. They nerfed the command ability, the bloodstoker, the ability on the bloodletters, the prayers, and the daemon battalion. Most comprehensive dismantle of a common tactic/army design I think I've ever seen actually. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 1:27 PM, Pathies said:

@Lord Krungharryeah most of the faction bonuses would be pretty negligible in all beasts, but it’s from wrath of the everchosen! The command trait lets you reroll prayers of 1 wholly w/in 12 inches I believe and the relic is +2 to charge

Ooh, thats pretty spicy!  I'll have to look for a cheap copy of that book.  That had something good for mixed daemons and Belakor too or something I think.

21 hours ago, Pathies said:

Hey guys so I can’t seem to get past thinking there’s something to skulltake haha so with that in mind here is a list that I threw together to try and somewhat mimic the bloodmad setup but with a skulltake instead

Mortal%20skulltake.pdf 787.54 kB · 4 downloads

What does the Aspiring Deathbringer do again?  I have never used him or been aspired by one.

I shoulda kept my Skullreapers.

But have had good success with my Beasts of Khorne.  They'll probably never get mortal, and they're certainly not daemon.  I keep wanting to run 2 Ghorgons in my Brass Despoilers but the Bullgors are just better, aside from the eating a model attack.  Those with Skaarac the Bloodborn though, that could almost work, though still he's probably better off with SoulGrinders now that I remembered they exist.   I always liked those models and the potential weirdness for conversions.