AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Skullcrushers can be a really good hammer if you get the charge off. 

Skullreapers are really good Anti-Infantry- units and mortal wounds dealers. Especially lightly armored units like Goblins or Clanrats just melt in front of them.

Speaking of Mortal Wounds... Chosen can deal them almost as good as Skullreapers, but they have Rend. However, they only have 2 wounds and not 3 like Skullreapers and they do not deal Mortal Wounds when they die. 

Properly buffed Chaos Knights can become really good hammers. If they have Lances, they are at -2 Rend 2 Damage on the charge.. They can go up to 2+/3+ re-rolling everything with at least 2 attacks- Bloodsecrator or Wrathmongers help with that.

As you said, Marauders are really dangerous. Lots of models with 2 attacks from 2 ranks is terrifying. The Darkoath Chieftain command ability can make them pile in and fight when they die- just like Blood Warriors.

The strongest character is the Lord on Manticore with Hew the Foe (Goretide) and Gorecleaver, which enables his lance do up to 7 damage on the charge.

All in all, the best hammers in a Mortal Khorne army are the Slaves to Darkness Units, because they have such strong buffing potential. Chaos War Shrine for a 6+ shrug and re-roll to hit and wound, Chaos Lord for double-pile in, the Darkoath Chieftain turns Marauders into Blood Warriors with a punch. On top of that, you got the Khorne-buffs. +1 to hit or save, Bloodsecrator, Wrathmongers. It`s just bonkers how strong Slaves to Darkness can become in Khorne. Oh, and by the way, Chaos Warriors with +1 to save are one of the best- if not the best - anvil-unit in the game. 

Edited by Salyx
  • Thanks 2

On 9/12/2020 at 6:54 AM, Skarband said:

best mortal hammer unit

10 Chaos Knights with +1 attack, Mounted StD Lord command and Shrine Undivided blessing is better than anything else I can think of. Does around 50 damage to a 4+ save enemy.

Edited by Roark

Greetings everyone sorry I've been gone for a few years but life got in the way. Anyway I'm having issues with Ossiarch Bonereapers. I've played them 3-4 times now and haven't even come close to a win once, normally tabled by turn 3  with next to no victory points for me. I have a small amount of mortals, I'd like to get more, and a friend gave me about 2k points of deamons. I mean this guy beats me so badly I've started looking to start a new army of something else or to just quit entirely. He's a power gamer, while I play for fun, I used to be a power gamer guy years ago, but to me it just wasn't fun anymore. Hell in fact the whole group of guys I play with are power gamers. I need help, how can I make a leaf blower Bloodbound army with deamons sprinkled in? I really want to stick it to these guys and get a win for once. I don't mind losing but I'd at least like to kill just one fricken unit!

I found some sick monster minis from the board game HATE that I'm going to use as Khorgoraths. Maybe not enough screens here but I'm gonna try this, just coz it puts out a heap of rending damage and Tithe (I'm not very sophisticated):

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Skullfiend Tribe
Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (170)
- General
- Command Trait: Master Decapitator
- Artefact: Crowncleaver
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
40 x Chaos Marauders (320)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Cursed Lance
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
1 x Khorgoraths (100)
Chaos Warshrine (170)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 173

Screenshot_20200917-001052.png

@Skarband Id start with the following and edit to taste based on what you play regularly (your meta)

Allegiance: Khorne
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Axe
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Bloodsecrator (120)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)

Gore Pilgrims (140)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 60

Gore Pilgrims is not necessary and you can lose the battalion for more blood warriors or reavers. With it you have room for one more relic that again will largely be based on what you play against. It will also allow you to familiarize yourself with the battalion as it is a very common basis for mortal lists.

If you chose to pursue the skull crushers I would look at picking up a Lord on Juggernaut soon. The model is relatively tanky and not too killy, but it will allow you to create lists with Skullcrushers as battleline. Opening up a very different playstyle that will make use of all those crushers. 

Good luck. 

OBR is hard. One of the few ways I won against them is with Skarbrand.  He still has to survive catapults, but thats what bronzed flesh and luck is for.  Building everything around doing as many mortal wounds as possible might work too, but normal melee units against OBR is like a 10 year old fighting a adult.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Elves are the best said:

Hi guys

A while a go I picked up the goretide start collecting, skull taker and 20 blood letters. I’m looking to expand that into a 1000 point army and I am not sure what to get next. Any advice ?

I would definitely get two slaughterpriests so you can field the Gore Pilgrims battalion, past that, I would get some flesh hounds and bloodreavers, and maybe some skullreapers/wrathmongers. Building 1k lists for Khorne can be tough because we rely on synergies, buffs and battalions, and we don't really have very many units that can stand on their own. Overall, how you expand your army depends on whether you want to be Mortal, Daemon or mixed. Right now it looks like you've got a good starting point for a mixed army, but those are generally the weakest competitively, unless you count 'thirster spam with the Gore Pilgrims battalion. 

44 minutes ago, Elves are the best said:

Thanks 

gore pilgrims looks like a good starting point so I’ll order some slaughter priests soon.

I just looked at the blood mad warband and was wondering if that is a good battalion to build around.

It's an incredibly strong battalion that's held back by the cost of the units inside them (ie Blood Warriors and Skullreapers). It's the second best Mortal battalion, with Gore Pilgrims still at #1 because of its versatility.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 3:03 PM, Rayvn said:

how can I make a leaf blower Bloodbound army with deamons sprinkled in?

What kind of offensive units do you have that can do a bunch of damage? Things like: Skullreapers, Bloodthirsters, Chaos Knights and Chaos Marauders (Sorry, I realise the last two are not Bloodbound, but just checking anyway)

How are you normally being beaten, and by who (beyond OBR)? Is it that they're taking the initiative + objectives and can't be killed/shifted, or are you just getting tabled by shooting and alpha strikes?

Are your buddies all taking very low drop lists?

Maybe compile a screenshot from Warscroll Builder of your collection too. Then people can see what's available.

19 hours ago, AresX8 said:

It's an incredibly strong battalion that's held back by the cost of the units inside them (ie Blood Warriors and Skullreapers). It's the second best Mortal battalion, with Gore Pilgrims still at #1 because of its versatility.

Last question. Is the mighty lord of khorne usable. I can only see him in the big battalions.

3 hours ago, Elves are the best said:

Last question. Is the mighty lord of khorne usable. I can only see him in the big battalions.

That depends on how competitive you want to play. In casual games, he can be pretty decent as a Goretide General, as Hew the Foe makes him do at least 2 damage a swing, and giving him Gorecleaver.  He's outclassed by the Juggerlord in all other aspects though, especially with the same command trait + artifact combo in terms of speed and durability. The Daemonic Axe special rule plus Gorecleaver allows him to do 7 damage on a wound roll of a 6 when you order the triggers from both Gorecleaver and Daemonic Axe correctly, which is nuts.

12 minutes ago, Skarband said:

hey i need your opinion which list better for the tournament 1000 points:

Screenshot_2020-09-23-20-25-22-188_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2020-09-23-20-27-34-003_com.android.chrome.jpg

I would take the First one and replace a Slaughterpriests and the Blood warrior with another unit of Skullreapers, if you have the models. You got too few bodies and they can get killed very easily in the first list. Both lists spend half of the Points on heroes. That is too much as you have too few models on the table. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, I know this is a specific question, but how would you deal with 3 celestar ballistas at 1000pts? I primarily play with Daemons but I’m planning on expanding to Mortals eventually anyway so advice there is good too. I was playing a friendly 1000pt match against my friend and lost Skarbrand by Round 2 haha.

8 hours ago, Incredebilis said:

Hey guys, I know this is a specific question, but how would you deal with 3 celestar ballistas at 1000pts? I primarily play with Daemons but I’m planning on expanding to Mortals eventually anyway so advice there is good too. I was playing a friendly 1000pt match against my friend and lost Skarbrand by Round 2 haha.

Simply he cannot run 3 ballista at 1000 pts, the maximum number for artillery in a Vanguard matched play its 2

Edited by Lionheart
  • Thanks 2

On 9/26/2020 at 2:09 AM, Incredebilis said:

First of all you shouldn't take skrabrand in 1000 points.

Second, the way with that is lose stuff them summon a thirster and whoop them.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:29 PM, Skarband said:

i need your opinion which list better for the tournament 1000 points:

I'd go with first one. They both have 2 too many squishy heroes and not enough big units, but first one at least has demon prince that can kill stuff.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, I’ve got a rules question I’m looking for some help with. Do you apply the mortal wounds from outrageous carnage before or after any damage from the axe?

Im just imagining a scenario that will no doubt come up at some point. BoIR into morteks that are screening a harvester. Harvester is within 8”. Let’s say i roll enough 6s to drop the harvester. Would the mws be applied to the harvester first as I roll them? Or is it after the save roll and after half the damage to the morteks  is negated with the harvesters heal?

Mortal wounds from Outrageous Carnage are allocated like regular wounds as they're caused when a unit attacks, as described on pg 232 of the core rulebook, second to last sentence of the first paragraph under the section labeled Mortal Wounds. 

Edited by AresX8
  • Like 1