AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hey guys, so with the advent of GW axing all the realm artefacts in lieu of the new system, what do you guys think is the best replacement for the Dimensional Blade on a Khorne marked Goretide General DP? 

As far as offensive capabilities go, I found that Deathdealer, which gives one weapon -1 rend is statistically the best if you put it on his axe (only slightly better than it is on his claws, like within 1%).  I think the exploding 6's Aqshy artefact has potential, but the DP doesn't swing enough attacks with one weapon to make it worth it. 

I think there are a lot of options now if you're not focusing on his offensive potential ( the Crimson Crown and Mark of the Slayer come to mind, at least for me) 

Anyway, I would love to hear your guys' opinions on what artefact gives him the best offensive output, or which artefact you would use otherwise.

Look forward to hearing your answers.

7 hours ago, Roark said:

Gorecleaver is always a solid choice, especially when he's doing Damage 3 thanks to Hew the Foe command trait.

Unfortunately Gorecleaver is Mortals only. 

There are Not many good weapons for a Demon Prince. Perhaps you could go with - 1 Rend, especially with the Sword. The Hellfire sword is interesting as well, giving hin an increased Mortal Wound output. Crimson Crown might also be an option, so that you can use his Command Ability without spending command points.

Mark of the Slayer is Mortals as well, so this will not fit either. 

It is bettet to run Goretide with a Mortal General with a Gorecleaver, because any hero will increase his damage immensely with this Combination. The Demon Prince can still act as a supporter with his Command Ability and his Ability to fly. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Salyx said:

Unfortunately Gorecleaver is Mortals only. 

There are Not many good weapons for a Demon Prince

I'm an idiot. Sorry, I didn't read the post properly. Yeah, I think that the removal of the Sword of Judgement and Runic/Dimensional Blade are the final justification for me to just take the Crimson Crown on him every time, and armed with an axe. His command is just too good.

Edited by Roark
  • Like 1

I've been playing with the Anvil of Apotheosis in the GHB, and I had a question: is the roll to set up a Judgement of Khorne a prayer roll? The roll is called a Judgement roll on the warscroll cards, but I was curious if this still counted as a prayer, because one of the enhancements you can buy is a +1 to prayer rolls. And what about Blood Blessings? Just seeing if it might be worth it to make a cheaper slaughterpriest with a bonus to prayers--even though he wouldn't have the blood-fuelled prayers (but the attack prayer you get when you take the Priest keyword is D3 mortal wounds on a 3+ without the potential of backfiring).

7 hours ago, Zamik said:

I've been playing with the Anvil of Apotheosis in the GHB, and I had a question: is the roll to set up a Judgement of Khorne a prayer roll? The roll is called a Judgement roll on the warscroll cards, but I was curious if this still counted as a prayer, because one of the enhancements you can buy is a +1 to prayer rolls. And what about Blood Blessings? Just seeing if it might be worth it to make a cheaper slaughterpriest with a bonus to prayers--even though he wouldn't have the blood-fuelled prayers (but the attack prayer you get when you take the Priest keyword is D3 mortal wounds on a 3+ without the potential of backfiring).

Unfortunately, it was confirmed in FAQ that Judgment and Fyerslayer's magic are not Prayer.

Edited by WHYGW
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:32 AM, ogarrah said:

Hey guys, so with the advent of GW axing all the realm artefacts in lieu of the new system, what do you guys think is the best replacement for the Dimensional Blade on a Khorne marked Goretide General DP? 

As far as offensive capabilities go, I found that Deathdealer, which gives one weapon -1 rend is statistically the best if you put it on his axe (only slightly better than it is on his claws, like within 1%).  I think the exploding 6's Aqshy artefact has potential, but the DP doesn't swing enough attacks with one weapon to make it worth it. 

I think there are a lot of options now if you're not focusing on his offensive potential ( the Crimson Crown and Mark of the Slayer come to mind, at least for me) 

Anyway, I would love to hear your guys' opinions on what artefact gives him the best offensive output, or which artefact you would use otherwise.

Look forward to hearing your answers.

+1 stat is 30% more damage, double hit on 6s is statistically a +1 stat.

-1 rend is roughly 30% more damage against 4+ and better against lower saves and rerolls.

If you want offensive output take -1 rend. I'd personally put it on claws, having both weapons with rend feels better, I assume it can be mathematically better against rerolls.

I would take the unmodified save or free CP ability since Goretide already gives you +1 damage. You may not need the free CP in Goretide since they don't spam CP abilities all that much.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:56 PM, Zamik said:

One way to abuse Anvil is buying barebones priests/wizards. A priest will cost you 40pt, mounted priest 120 pt for following a cavalry unit (or 100pt if you want a 8" move priest on foot). The mounted commander guy is also good, he can give +1 save to crushers for a CP.

Another way is making a dude on a dragon with 2+ save and giving him ethereal artifact from Goretide. Costs as low as 250pts with basic weapons and you have 150pt reserve to make him better.

Hello!

I'm looking for some advice of you mates. I'm going to prepare a fully painted list for the next tournaments (I have some things painted but not a complete list), and I'm between three options. Not thinking in winning everything but neither lose everything 😁

What do you think of them?

Spoiler

Option 1

My favourite for painting reasons, lot of cool units, maybe not so powerful but I love mortals.

Goretide

Chaos lord on karkadrak 230 (hew the foe, gorecleaver)

Slaughterpriest with +1 to hit 100

Slaughterpriest with +1 to save 100

Bloodsecrator 120 (thronebreaker's torc)

Bloodstoker 80

10 reavers 70

5 blood warriors 100

5 chaos knights 160

40 chaos marauders 320

15 chaos warriors 270 (thinking on trying great blades, with +1 to hit, +1 attack, reroll everything...)

Warshrine with sacrifice 170

Gore pilgrims 140

Hexgorger Skulls 40

100 points left, not sure at all (my idea is to have 10 knights but I can't see what to cut. I like the idea of 3 big blocks: warriors, knights, marauders)

Spoiler

Option 2

Classic bloodthirsters in reapers.

Reapers of vengeance

Skarbrand  380

BT of insensate rage 270 (realm artifact of 6's to hit are 2 hits)

BT of unfettered fury 270

Wrath of khorne bloodthirster 300 (mage eater, skullshard mantle)

Bloodsecrator 120

10 reavers 70

10 reavers 70 

5 Wrathmongers 140

5 Flesh hounds 100

Tyrants of blood 140

Hexgorger Skulls 40

Spoiler

Option 3

An Archaon list, all in the mighty lord.

Reapers of vengeance

Archaon 800

Bloodsecrator 120 (mage eater, skullshard mantle)

Bloodstoker 80

Slaughterpriest with heal 100

Warshrine with +1 to save 170

5 blood warriors 100

10 reavers 70

10 reavers 70 

Gore pilgrims 140

Hexgorger Skulls 40

210 points left, not sure (khorne daemon prince, slaves sorcerer lord, more warriors...)

Thank you very much for your time and opinions!

Hi,

I am thinking to start this army as second army (currently i have LON) , i want to change playstyle from having lots of units to a very few ones and looking for a combat/monster/hero focused army and i think this army would  be nice for that.

Looking for a good/strong list so i can buy and play for a while what would you recomend? I would like  an Archaon list if possible 

Thanks!

Edited by Zaerion

You can very well play a list with Archaon, supported by Slaughterpriests and Warshrines. 

A monster-heavy list would consist of 3-5 Bloodthirster( one of them can be Skarbrand) and some chaff and Support. 

In the Post before your Post you will find 2 examples for Such lists. 

Ok, so now FAQs are out, still nothing for BoK. There's this weird printed chart in the GHb with stars in front of entries with no point changes compared to the last FAQ. Everybody else had point change, but not BoK ?

My question is : do any of you think that this could be a misprint ?

Maybe the "everything was in the perfect state" explanation should suffice, but i have doubts...
What do you think about this ?

Edit : btw there can be an Errata/Designers comments for the GHB this week

Edited by Hystarion

2 hours ago, Hystarion said:

Ok, so now FAQs are out, still nothing for BoK. There's this weird printed chart in the GHb with stars in front of entries with no point changes compared to the last FAQ. Everybody else had point change, but not BoK ?

My question is : do any of you think that this could be a misprint ?

Maybe the "everything was in the perfect state" explanation should suffice, but i have doubts...
What do you think about this ?

Edit : btw there can be an Errata/Designers comments for the GHB this week

We already had 2 faqs with point adjustments. It's very likely GW thinks we are fine.

17 minutes ago, Smooth criminal said:

I'd rank them Thirsters > Archaon > mortals.

I'd drop stuff from thirsters (skulls and priest) and archaon (battalion, both priests, warriors, skulls) to take more reavers or mongers for objectives

Thank you for your answer!

The problem with thirsters is the lost artifact (amberglaive) for the insensate rage; I think I'm not going to kill a lot withour that +1 to hit from the priest.

The thirster's list is awesome but it depends so much on the damage dice to kill things.

The list with Archaon has the priest to make it a tank (with +1 save) and durable (health). I was thinking that he maybe needs the save reroll from the sorcerer lord because every wound hurts.

But you have reason that they need more troops for the objectives. The priest also provides help with the opposite magic.

Any other opinions/advices?

I think that this 3 kind of list are a resume of the better options for khorne.

54 minutes ago, Roark said:

Someone remind me again what the argument is against Chaos Knights? These are easy buffs, and I want to build a Big Chungus®.

In my experience there isn't a lot of argument against the knights in khorne, they fit really well and love all the buffs we can give them. The biggest problem I've found is maneuvering the unit and the blootstoker helps with that immensely. I'm a bit on the fence between lances and ensorcelled weapons though. On the one hand lances are great on the charge but getting the charge isn't guaranteed even with the stoker. Ensorcelled weapons are much more consistent but I never seem to get anything done with them, 3+/3+ seems to be the bane of my existence haha. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roark said:

Someone remind me again what the argument is against Chaos Knights? These are easy buffs, and I want to build a Big Chungus®.

Screenshot_20200724-000706.png

There's honestly no argument against them. Doubly so now that they've dropped in points. 

I was working on a Gore Pilgrims Chaos Knights list when Petrifex Elite was running rampant, and now the list dropped 60 points. Gore Pilgrims was chosen specifically to have at least a single +1 attack source that they'd be in range of. 

I'm also in the camp of believing that bringing S2D units into the Khorne allegiance will be what keeps Mortal Khorne alive. Runeshields help a lot against mortal heavy builds, and Knights and Karadrak Lord provide the speed we need. I don't see us getting much use out of Chaos Warriors. Marauders I haven't played with and they also went up in points.

This is what I had so far:

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide

Leaders
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230)
- General
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Gorecleaver
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Cursed Lance
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Cursed Lance

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1780 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2

I originally had Dimensional Blade on the Hexed Battleaxe but now super high Rend (anything above -2)  isn't really necessary with the Petrifex Elite change.

To fill out the rest of the points, I was thinking of the possibility of  dropping 1 unit of Bloodreavers to add 2x5 Wrathmongers to power up the Blood Warriors and Karkadrak Lord, or drop the Wrath-Axe and be at 2k on the nose.

Edited by AresX8
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Roark said:

Pretty sure knights are now THE default chaos unit. I am talking about the 3x3/3/-1/1 profile ones.

Like compare them to our elite uhhh skullreapers, not even close. A case can be made for 9 juggers brick being better than 15 knights, but that's a very corner case, otherwise knights are better again.

Ironically chungus does not make sense in Std vs. a Demon prince but seems pretty good in Khorne especially in Goretide.

Edited by Smooth criminal
  • Like 1

I use a block of 15 Chaos Warriors (hand weapon and rune shield) as a very strong "hold the line" unit. Backed by a warshrine. 4+ save (or 3+ if I decide to put Bronzed Flesh on them) re-rolling everything (unit size) is amazing. Plus mortal wound protection from shields and warshrine shurg for non mortals makes them super beefy. I've also used a Chaos Lord on Manticore with Lance and Daemon Blade, take him in Bloodlords and give him Halo of Blood and Slaughterer's Thirst. Now he's moving at 16", re-rolling charges and fighting at the start of the combat phase. Backed by a warshrine and/or bloodstoker and things really spicy.

• Like 1